Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
my glider hates her bonding pouch! #1148142
07/19/11 10:34 PM
07/19/11 10:34 PM

S
sbaron174
Unregistered
sbaron174
Unregistered
S

i got my glider from a pet store when she was about 10 months old in May. when i first got her, she NEVER crabbed at all. i took her everywhere with me and she never made a sound. now she crabs constantly when she is in the bag. she will sit on my shoulder and hang out in my hair, on my head, and be completely content but the second i put her in that bag, even if the bag is sitting on the table undisturbed, she crabs.
i want to buy a harness for her but i just feel like i can't trust it. i have lost a sugar glider to the outdoors before and i really dont want to do it again. plus i cant take her everywhere on a harness because she would just get too much attention with everyone seeing her and asking what the heck is that thing and wanted to touch her and whatnot. i really miss having her with me all the time.

i take her out a lot and she sits on my shoulder. she rarely runs around my room when i let her out to play, she just finds a place to go to sleep. she likes to crawl on my body but she hates being held in my hands and doesn't like to be pet or massaged.

i plan to find a friend for her but i just cant afford that at the moment.

the sugar glider i had previously was the complete opposite of all of this. i am really worried about her. am i doing something wrong? is there anything i can do to comfort her? will she ever let me pet her? is she really unhappy?

Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: ] #1148216
07/20/11 12:51 AM
07/20/11 12:51 AM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
Originally Posted By: sbaron174
i got my glider from a pet store when she was about 10 months old in May. when i first got her, she NEVER crabbed at all. i took her everywhere with me and she never made a sound. now she crabs constantly when she is in the bag. she will sit on my shoulder and hang out in my hair, on my head, and be completely content but the second i put her in that bag, even if the bag is sitting on the table undisturbed, she crabs.
She has probably adjusted to her new home enough to start testing her boundaries. She could be at that stage we like to refer to as the teenage phase. Gliders can get nippy and a bit crabby at this time. It's their way of pushing limits and seeing if she can get her way by having a tantrum. She should grow out of it with persistence on your end. You may want to correct her if she is being aggressive by making a "Pssssst!" sound at her. If you think she is crabbing because she is scared then skip the corrections and read the next paragraph.

It's also possible that she is genuinely spooked by the bonding pouch. Have you changed the type of bag you use? I had a glider here that hated the sound of zippers and I had to get him used to the sound before he would let me use those pouches with him. I have a little girl here that as a young glider would not let me put her in a sissy pouch (it's a front back-pack type of pouch) but didn't mind regular square bonding pouches. dunno I broke her of her crabby habit but laying the sissy pouch on my chest and putting her on top of it. Then I bribed her with treats. She eventually lost her fear of the sissy.
i want to buy a harness for her but i just feel like i can't trust it. i have lost a sugar glider to the outdoors before and i really dont want to do it again. plus i cant take her everywhere on a harness because she would just get too much attention with everyone seeing her and asking what the heck is that thing and wanted to touch her and whatnot. i really miss having her with me all the time.
Harnesses really aren't a safe thing to use on a glider. They can damage or injure the patagium (the flaps of skin that connect their hands to their feet that they use to glide). It can also be stressful to both glider and owner just getting a harness or leash on.
i take her out a lot and she sits on my shoulder. she rarely runs around my room when i let her out to play, she just finds a place to go to sleep. she likes to crawl on my body but she hates being held in my hands and doesn't like to be pet or massaged.
What time are you taking her out? How long is she generally out with you? Gliders are more active at night. If you take them out at night you are less likely to succeed with getting cuddles as they are more interested in playing and exploring.

Gliders in general aren't huge on being held in hands. I have a few that will let me, but most prefer to perch on my arm, shoulder, or hand. So, don't feel bad if she won't curl up in your cupped hand and just chill. My sweetie gliders will do this, but not at night if they want to play!

On the flip side, if you are getting her out during the day, she is probably running off to nap because it's her natural bedtime.
i plan to find a friend for her but i just cant afford that at the moment.
A friend may or may not help. For now, focus on bonding with her and establishing a good routine. A friend does not guarantee that she would suddenly be more social or cuddly. So, I would work on those areas in the meantime.
the sugar glider i had previously was the complete opposite of all of this. i am really worried about her. am i doing something wrong? is there anything i can do to comfort her? will she ever let me pet her? is she really unhappy?
Each glider is different. They each react differently to things in their environment, they each bond on their own time. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. She hasn't been with you all that long if you really think about it. A healthy glider will leave 15+ years in captivity so two months isn't that long. She was also an older girl when you got her. Who knows what her life was like previously. It could take a lot of dedication to get her to come around, but if you commit to the process and commit to her than you will see results! Just keep up the good work and try not to get frustrated. Watch for baby steps and be proud when you take each one. I'm sure you will be able to pet her one day...probably sooner than you think. I don't think she's unhappy. She was probably unhappy at the petstore and just doesn't really know how to act now that she has this new home with an owner that spoils her.

Also, never underestimate the power of a bribe. There is no harm at all in using treats to get her to come around and to associate you with good things.

Feel free to read more on bonding on my webpage (the link is in my signature). Good luck and keep us posted!

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: ] #1148401
07/20/11 11:15 AM
07/20/11 11:15 AM
Franklin, NC
singingintherain Offline
Joey Member
singingintherain  Offline
Joey Member

Franklin, NC
Maybe wait until she has been asleep for a while before putting her in the bonding pouch? If she is super sleepy she might not fight you as much. Also treats! Giving her treats once she is in the pouch will associate pouch=good. Also, do you put any blankies with her scent on them inside the pouch? that might calm her down too. just some ideas. smile Good luck!

Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: ] #1148450
07/20/11 01:41 PM
07/20/11 01:41 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
One simple question: Does the pouch you're trying to put her in have a window or not? If it doesn't, then that might be your issue: she wants to SEE OUT. (if it does, then apply the opposite thought process)

She might not like the sound of the zipper opening/closing. Some of mine will crab up a STORM when I do that....

Have you tried putting the pouch under a shirt & leave it unzipped? That might work...

Treats definitely WILL help. She gets in the bonding pouch, give her a treat. She crabs, let her SEE that you have a treat but hold off til she stops crabbing...then give her the treat. (using the theory of Pavlov and his doggie...bell rings, treat drops. conditioned treatment...works like a charm thumb )

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: StitchsMom] #1148655
07/20/11 09:46 PM
07/20/11 09:46 PM

S
sbaron174
Unregistered
sbaron174
Unregistered
S

thanks, your message was very helpful and comforting. i really want her to be happy.

about the bribing, she generally wont take any food from me. she loves to eat at night. she is a little piggy, but during the day when i am playing with her she sniffs even her favorite things but wont take them from me.

Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: singingintherain] #1148656
07/20/11 09:49 PM
07/20/11 09:49 PM

S
sbaron174
Unregistered
sbaron174
Unregistered
S

the second i open up her cage she wakes up and starts crabbing. i generally have to coax her into the bag avoiding her attack like bites and then she just keeps crabbing until she falls asleep and then the instant i move she wakes up again. i have a normal bonding pouch with a zipper and a window and i also have a drawstring pouch with no window and she hates them both equally. however, i have a small cage with a window that is a bout 1' by 4'' by 4'' and she doesnt mind that too much and she will go anywhere with me and stay on my shoulder.

Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: minkasmom] #1148657
07/20/11 09:50 PM
07/20/11 09:50 PM

S
sbaron174
Unregistered
sbaron174
Unregistered
S

i have a drawstring pouch with no zipper or window, and a regular pouch with a zipper and window and she hates them both frown

Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: minkasmom] #1148658
07/20/11 09:52 PM
07/20/11 09:52 PM

S
sbaron174
Unregistered
sbaron174
Unregistered
S

any suggestions on irresistable treats? she generally wont take something from my hands during the day.

Re: my glider hates her bonding pouch! [Re: ] #1148731
07/20/11 11:48 PM
07/20/11 11:48 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
My suggestion on your last question is to post instead in diet & Nutrition. This will keep the thread here on topic and if you post there, it will ensure you get the best answers to your question. thumb

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024