Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E-Jackets vs. E-Collars #1156990
08/04/11 09:46 PM
08/04/11 09:46 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline OP
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Topic for discussion - not bashing either style of e-collars or the e-jacket:

Quote:
... They are simply amazing! They're much less stressful for the glider and cheaper than an ecollar. The drawback is, you must have it with you and it must be the proper size. If you forget to bring it, there's no way to come up with a makeshift one. ...

I'd like to open discussion regarding the e-jacket based on the above post that was made in another thread.

I have seen the stress a glider goes in when placed into an e-collar. It will break your heart and you will want to remove it ~ however, when you weigh the risks of them not having it on, you leave it.

The glider will succumb to the e-collar, some quicker than others. They have to adjust to eat and drink, and we sometimes even have to alter the way we feed to make things easier on them.

However, this is all worth it to save their lives and/or prevent further injury to themselves.

I have an excellent video that I wish I could get onto my computer of a glider being put into an e-collar, the fight, them getting out of it, and having to do it all over again. Someday, I'll get it on the computer!

I posted this in the other thread:
Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
Satelite
Use for injuries or post-surgery for upper torso of body:
Post Neuter
Upper Patagium Injury
*using medication that gliders are NOT allowed to lick off

Shotglass
Use for injuries or post-surgery for lower torso of body:
Tail injury/surgery
Cloacal SM
Leg/foot injury
Lower Patagium Injury
prolapsed penis/cloaca
*self-mutilation ANYWHERE
*using medication that gliders are NOT allowed to lick off

Injuries that should NOT be e-collared:
Mating Wounds
Dominance Wounds

Now, anyone with experience using the E-Jacket, can you please explain the process the glider goes through when it's first put on. The above statement "They're much less stressful for the glider and cheaper than an ecollar." got me intrigued! (BTW, I personally could care less which is cheaper, either are a small price to pay! wink )

Also, does anyone have a video they can share of a glider getting the e-jacket on for the first time? (Not one that may be used to it already.)

And, what types of injuries would you use and NOT use the E-Jacket?

Pro's & Con's of using one over the other?

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1156998
08/04/11 10:03 PM
08/04/11 10:03 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
Putting on an e-collar on shadow a couple years ago stopped his heart ... thank god I was at the vet and he was able to save him... needless to say shadow has never been in an e-collar since nor will he ever be.... dealing with that surgery was a nightmare and I didnt sleep for weeks however we did make it thru without an e-collar... I sure wish back then I had the e-jacket

I just got my e-jackets at the SGGA this year and I didnt even have them 24 hours and my vet called asking me to bring him one for a glider he needed to amputate a leg... Unfortuately the little bugger can still manage to get it off and is currently without anything but is not bothering the surgery area.. that glider is extremely thin and my smallest ejacket was to big =( that said my vet asked me to get him more for the clinic because he believes it will be less stressful as well. I have ordered him more =)

I have a vet appt on the 19th and if noone videos using on before then I will record my vet putting one on my gliders thou

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157000
08/04/11 10:05 PM
08/04/11 10:05 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Why is it less stressful? What are the gliders reactions (or lack thereof) to the e-jacket?

Hope to see the video! smile

ETA: Sent Denise a PM to alert her to this post. wink

Last edited by GliderNursery; 08/04/11 10:08 PM.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157005
08/04/11 10:12 PM
08/04/11 10:12 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Argh!

AFTER Boomerang had his little hissy fit, we realized we should have video taped it.

After the SGGA, I am a convert to the ejacket. I have ecollars, and will continue to use them as necessary. However, Boomerang was not really a candidate for an ecollar. His neck is bigger around than his head! He would have popped an ecollar right off!

The stress he went through putting the ejacket on was actually pretty minimal. He was angry at Denise. He danced around the bed for a few minutes. Then he got over it. I've seen the same process that gliders go through in an ecollar. This was actually over significantly quicker. Once the jacket was on - there was really nothing for him to fight against. It isn't in his line of sight, and he isn't really able to grasp it. So - once it was on, the fight was over. I've seen gliders hang upside down and fight an ecollar for up to an hour. The whole "I don't like this! Take it off!" process with Boomerang lasted about 5-10 minutes. And part of that was while Denise was calmly cutting his nails.

I've taken the jacket off and put it back on several times now. It takes me a few seconds to get it on snuggly. Now, I know that there are those who can pop ecollars on that quickly. I'm not one of those. I really struggle to get ecollars on right. Not so the jacket.

To me the biggest thing is - I'm very concerned about Boomerang's eating and drinking. The pain meds were knocking him out 24/7 and he stopped eating and drinking. When I stopped his pain meds, he was able to eat and drink right away. No "learning curve" was required, and no special feeders or waterers.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157007
08/04/11 10:14 PM
08/04/11 10:14 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Thankfully I have never had to put an e-collar on a sugar glider. I have them on hand and I also have three different sizes of e-jackets on hand.

I have put Gizmo in an e-jacket as a demo for the e-jacket. She wasn't happy about it but she didn't roll around trying to get it off.

At the SGGA Denise put my biggest glider,Tank, in her largest e-jacket to see if it would fit him before I purchased it. He was one mad little animal, he latched onto Denise and held on for several minutes. Sorry Denise.

He didn't roll around either, but she sure whipped his tail around like a cat does when they are mad. I think there was steam coming out of his little ears.

He would scoot backwards but there was no thrashing around like you see when they are in an e-collar.

Gizmo can't be a good example of how a glider reacts as after putting her in an e-jacket for 3 or 4 demos and her wearing it for at least 5 minutes I have come to the conclusion that the kids in the family from where she came to me from must have played dress up with her.

I think that both e-collars and e-jackets have a place in everyone's first aid kits.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157009
08/04/11 10:16 PM
08/04/11 10:16 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
I can tell you Shadow doesnt like anything around his throat or neck... he doesnt even like to be petted near his throat. He literally had a heart attack when we forced him into a e-collar. I also tried using an e-collar on another male I had neutered he struggled to the point he rubbed himself raw where it went around his neck.

I tried the e-jacket on Shadow(my most anxiety prone sug) he did not like it but he also didnt have a heart attack this time. He also calmed down fairly quicky when he realized he couldnt get it off. I would video it now but my vet has all 3 jackets I bought LOL.... he told me I didnt need them , if I had an emergency I would just be waking him up anyways and could get it at the clinic ROFL.. I also have more on order for myself

I will get a video thou as soon as I can

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: Feather] #1157015
08/04/11 10:29 PM
08/04/11 10:29 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Feather
I think that both e-collars and e-jackets have a place in everyone's first aid kits.

thumb

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157018
08/04/11 10:35 PM
08/04/11 10:35 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Here are a couple of videos. Both gliders had just woken up from neutering.

One is a glider fighting an ecollar
Fighting an ecollar
And this one is fighting an ejacket

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: Janie] #1157059
08/05/11 01:26 AM
08/05/11 01:26 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Before Denise's miracle invention of the e-jacket, putting my one glider into an ecollar was extremely hard on him. He would literally hold his breath, and go into seizures. As as result, I had to sit with him 24/7 for almost two weeks.

I called Denise when she first came up with the idea, she immediately sent one to me. Putting it on was a little difficult, but once on, Choco adjusted to it within 10 minutes. He didn't fight, he was more frustrated with the 'feeling' of confinement.

Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157075
08/05/11 03:02 AM
08/05/11 03:02 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Great videos Connie. The one in the ejacket didn't seem to be fighting the jacket as much as he was fighting waking up from the anesthesia. Once awake, he didn't seem to be fighting it at all.

I have to ask...what is the fluid filled glove for? Is it warm to help them warm up from the anesthesia?

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157111
08/05/11 07:57 AM
08/05/11 07:57 AM

J
JessieR
Unregistered
JessieR
Unregistered
J

Who do I contact for an e-jacket? My girls are still growing, but I would rather go ahead and get one, and get another size later just in case.

Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157116
08/05/11 08:25 AM
08/05/11 08:25 AM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
Contact Denise: minkasmom. she is the creator of the e-jacket.

My story:
So far I've only had one glider of mine that has had to go into an e-collar/jacket and that was Ryan. This sweet little guy only fought his collar for a few minutes before he accepted it. Even tho he didn't fight it, he was never content while wearing it because it was too restrictive and didn't really allow him to get near his buddy Brodie. The only way he could reach his buddy was to bulldoze him into a corner and trap him in the cone with him. Once we got the Jacket he tried to briefly wiggle out of, but once we got it fitted properly on him, he was sooooooooo much happier because he could move and eat and even have limited grooming capabilities. It was so much more comfortable for him. Thank you so much Denise for creating this. It has made an incredible difference to a great number of gliders.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: Dancing] #1157122
08/05/11 08:42 AM
08/05/11 08:42 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Great videos Connie. The one in the ejacket didn't seem to be fighting the jacket as much as he was fighting waking up from the anesthesia. Once awake, he didn't seem to be fighting it at all.

I have to ask...what is the fluid filled glove for? Is it warm to help them warm up from the anesthesia?

It's warm water to help keep them warm. It's something she's always done I guess. As you can see, once they wake up, there's no keeping them on it. I finally gave up and put him in my bra. Once he was there, he went right to sleep. He wasn't bothered at all by the ejacket again, after the initial hissy fit.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157215
08/05/11 12:39 PM
08/05/11 12:39 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Sorry I'm just NOW seeing and giving my input on this whole thread...on top of EVERYTHING else, I've been away because of an issue that arose with my dad: He called me yesterday to say that he'd had "complications" from a minor surgery & I've been a bit pre-occupied with him! upset This is also the reason why I've been silent all week....just trying to catch my breath! PLEASE!!!!

OK, from MY OWN personal experiences I've used the e-jacket twice:

The first time was because of a mating wound that Minka had late last year. I put on a small bandage, VetWrap, then the e-jacket...for the sake of keeping her toenails away from the OTHER stuff. It worked WONDERFULLY.

The second (and more recent) was because of a cloaca/tail issue that Amos had...the cloaca was swollen from whatever (vet couldn't pinpoint it) & it created an issue with blood circulation to the tail (end result was a partial amputation). He had to wear it for 2 weeks until I was satisfied that both areas were healing adequately.

We've all been watching how Simba has progressed with HIM wearing the e-jacket (got an update Wednesday that had me in tears of JOY...he is OUT of the e-jacket more than IN it, still has to wear it occasionally but that's much better than ALWAYS). Then there's the perpetual good news about "my adopted baby boy" Spencer... mlove ...my little guinea pig and the FIRST to really TAKE the e-jacket around the block a few times to see how it works, then adjust a little here & there.

I am in 110% agreement with what you said at the beginning, Shelly: Price is NOT an issue if it (a) is more comfortable for a glider; and (b) helps stop FURTHER DAMAGE. What other things could be more appropriate for an e-jacket vs. an e-collar? I don't know.....getting them "out there" and "tried out" for this problem or that will be the only way that the possible uses can be listed. But mating/dominence wounds CAN be added...when combined with OTHER bandages I'll include.

Connie, I didn't take time to watch your video...time is limited for me right now...but I thank you for making it & posting it here! hug2 I have one also, but became really frustrated trying to get it OFF my camera and INTO my computer! tant tant

Feather, I consider what Tank did to me "part of the whole scheme of things"...I hear Bourbon's voice about RESPECTING THE TEETH! Words I've always taken seriously....just needed a little reinforcement I guess! roflmao

Alden, I'm just GRATEFUL that Boomerang's problem happened when it did (if it had to happen AT ALL)...while we were all together & you had the STRONGEST support crew around you that anyone could EVER ask for! hug2

Chris..... hug2 hug2 need I say anything else? Nope.

I know that several people have sent PM's about getting the e-jackets...and there's a handful of you out there that I have on "a list" to get them out ASAP. I have a BUNCH cut out & just need time to sit down & sew...maybe this weekend? If nothing ELSE lets loose with dad....(say a little prayer for him, please! I'm all he has for his safety net...)

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157230
08/05/11 12:57 PM
08/05/11 12:57 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
minkasmom

Where would I go to purchase an E-jacket from you? Do you have the e-collars too?

Thank you,

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157321
08/05/11 03:52 PM
08/05/11 03:52 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
Originally Posted By: Feather

thumb

Double thumb

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: E-Jackets vs. E-Collars [Re: GliderNursery] #1157706
08/07/11 02:05 PM
08/07/11 02:05 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Hi, Johanna! wave

Sorry I've been pretty scarce around GC the past few days...I've had my hands full with dad's health (minor) and cleaning out/redesigning a cage.

All you need to do is send me a PM that has info about how big around your glider is (there are 3 sizes to choose from, and size DOES matter). I have a handful of back-orders to catch up with, but I've got the pieces cut out & ready to sew.

I don't have a website to order from...I barely have enough time to do everything that needs to be done, let alone taking care of one of THEM too! roflmao Just send me your info...and I'll add you to "the list".

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024