Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When a duo becomes solo.. #1160542
08/13/11 02:34 PM
08/13/11 02:34 PM
Chicago, IL
MissTiesa Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissTiesa  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Chicago, IL
As many of you might know, last night I discovered one of my babies had died. Now, I'm worried about his mate.

She and Nibbler were inseparable for years. They have always been cage-mates.
So far, Kiki seems to be alright. She's perky, active, and strangely enough, she's opened up to me more already. I've had her since last year and she's always been shy, timid, and not very trusting no matter how much bonding I try to do with her. But ever since last night, I've been holding her as much as I can and she has already seemed to open up to me more.

How can I keep her from being as little depressed as possible. I've heard stories (and personally experienced one) where one of the animals (or even people) die, and then soon after, the other one mysteriously passes on, even though they are completely healthy. They say it's that they die of broken hearts. Of course that's the WORST possible outcome, but I want to make sure that she's happy and doesn't become depressed and stops eating or cleaning herself or anything like that.

Are there certain things I should look for aside from her not eating or cleaning herself? Is there other body language I should watch for?

Teresa, non-professional zookeeper.
1 dog-Tippy, 2 cats-Oreo and Jareth, 2 geckos-Zodiac and Palkia, 1 guinea pig-Critter, and 3 amazing gliders!
:glider: Kiki, Simba and Winry
gangel Nibbler (2008-2011) heart You will always be in my heart. Always.
Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160574
08/13/11 03:37 PM
08/13/11 03:37 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Willy Wonka has lost 2 cagemates (the most recent just a couple weeks ago)...and I saw symptoms being displayed that I just couldn't allow to happen this last time like it had before.

He hardly ate. He wouldn't come out of his pouch when I called his name. He didn't play with anything. He wouldn't run in his wheel. He loved being with me, and didn't want to go back in his cage.

Seriously, you might want to get in touch with Valkyriesmom (Alden in real life) and see if she has a neutered rescue to be a companion for Kiki. She lives around Chicago (sorry that I can't remember the EXACT suburb therein) and could help you. hug2

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160631
08/13/11 05:46 PM
08/13/11 05:46 PM
Chicago, IL
MissTiesa Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissTiesa  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Chicago, IL
Awe that's so sad, Poor Willy frown

Yeah I'm keeping a close eye on her but so far she seems okay. She's actually being more friendly than she used to be.

I do know Alden. I adopted a beautiful WFB joey from her this last spring (Winry). I don't know if I feel comfortable looking for a new companion for her yet. I feel like it would be replacing Nibbler, and no glider could ever do that. I will think on it though, and if more people think the same thing, I will look further into it. I just don't have a job right now because I'm living at home and going to school full time (transferring to a university), so I don't have any money to adopt a new glider. Food's never a problem, and my parents have no problem with helping to take care of finances for the vet and food but I don't think they would be okay with footing the bill for a glider. So unless someone was giving one away for free, I wouldn't be able to anyway.

1 dog-Tippy, 2 cats-Oreo and Jareth, 2 geckos-Zodiac and Palkia, 1 guinea pig-Critter, and 3 amazing gliders!
Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160666
08/13/11 07:57 PM
08/13/11 07:57 PM
Saint Louis MO
xSwtxSugaX Offline
Glider Addict
xSwtxSugaX  Offline
Glider Addict

Saint Louis MO
I think getting a new friend for her will distract her from the situation. And it wouldnt give her the chance to dwell on losing her best friend. A new friend would never be a replacement, but u cant be there for her 24/7. Do it when you are ready tho. Its a hard step to make but when u have a glider most of the time it needs to be done. Eventually they will get lonely. frown

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals"

*Stitch* :grey: *Button* :wfb: *Charlie* :leu:

Cats: Rista and Cali

~*Stacie*~
Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160670
08/13/11 08:07 PM
08/13/11 08:07 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I have 19 gliders and each one of them has a piece of my heart. The babies that I've lost (5) all took little pieces of my heart when they crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. No glider will EVER replace another---in my heart OR in my life---and I had NO INTENTION of suggesting that you run out RIGHT NOW and get a "new" one. hug2 No, it's too soon for YOU...you need time to grieve. (And if you were within arm's reach, I'd offer you a few more hug2 hug2 and a Kleenex box.)

WHEN YOU ARE READY, I'm sure that you would be able to get a companion for free...Alden was the FIRST person who popped into my mind because of your mutual location (VERY close). There are several other rescue homes here in the midwest as well. Again, when you are ready.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160671
08/13/11 08:09 PM
08/13/11 08:09 PM

S
Sweet_Pea
Unregistered
Sweet_Pea
Unregistered
S

That is SO sad I am very sorry for the loss of your baby I agree with these ladys you should get her a nother buddy not to replace but to be there to support her!

Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160691
08/13/11 08:56 PM
08/13/11 08:56 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
If you need time to grieve then I agree you should take it~ but if you see anything alarming or depressing in your glider then a friend sooner rather than later would be beneficial. Maybe you can make arrangements? Maybe start making small payments towards a glider or a rescue now before you pick one out or decide to get one right now?
Eventually you'll need to get her a cage mate so when its time to do so you'll be ready and paid for~

When Thor died poor Twinkie was devastated. I kept Twinkie on me almost 20 hours a day until he got a friend. A wonderful person reached out to my Twinkie and I made payments towards a new cage mate. I wasn't ready for a new pet so looked at it as getting him for Twinkie rather than our family.. the last thing I did was pick which glider.. and really I didn't even do that, I had my husband pick out of pictures.
When I got that sweet baby home I fell in love lol~ he isn't a replacement for Thor~ but Zinger was a godsend to me and Twinkie and really brightened things when we needed it the most. Seeing Twinkie happy again and with a buddy to play and snuggle with was heartwarming.

I'm sorry for your loss~
hug2

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160710
08/13/11 10:11 PM
08/13/11 10:11 PM
Chicago, IL
MissTiesa Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissTiesa  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Chicago, IL
Thank you so much everyone.

Yeah I think I will get a new buddy for her when the time is right. At the moment, we both do need some time to grieve. I am keeping a close eye on Kiki though, to make sure she is eating normally and not getting too depressed. By the end of the month, I will probably need to adopt another baby because I am going to be starting school again full time, and I won't be able to carry her everywhere like I do right now.

I got in touch with Alden and she is going to help me find a new cagemate for Kiki. Hopefully it will all work out.

Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1160711
08/13/11 10:12 PM
08/13/11 10:12 PM
Chicago, IL
MissTiesa Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissTiesa  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Chicago, IL
hug2 and thank you everyone for all of the hugs. They are very much needed and appreciated!

Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1161241
08/15/11 03:35 AM
08/15/11 03:35 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I am sorry for both of you, on your loss. hug2

I think every glider handles loss differently just like every person. You know her best, I think she will let you know what she does/doesn't need.

I know of situations where the glider was comforted by keeping bedding that smelled like the passed cage mate for a while. I also know of situations where any scent of the cage mate seemed to make things worse for them (they were searching and this stressed them out, once the entire cage, and everything in it, was cleaned, they were fine). If she seems happy to be with you and you are comforting each other (which is sounds like you are) then I wouldn't rush her (or you) into a new friend just yet. I think you are right to make sure you are in the right place to bring in a new buddy. As I said, she'll let you know how she's feeling. sounds like she's feeling you are just the friend she wants around right now. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1161546
08/15/11 09:04 PM
08/15/11 09:04 PM
Chicago, IL
MissTiesa Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissTiesa  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Chicago, IL
She does seem to be acting friendlier towards me now for some reason. I think she's trying to comfort ME. She may be even ready for a new friend, judging by how she's acting. But I'm certainly not yet.

I think she's enjoying having his scent lingering around in their pouch and cage so I haven't changed anything yet. But I will at the end of this week.

Re: When a duo becomes solo.. [Re: MissTiesa] #1164748
08/22/11 10:24 AM
08/22/11 10:24 AM
Virginia
BreezySam Offline
Out of Pouch
BreezySam  Offline
Out of Pouch

Virginia
I'm sorry for your loss! I lost one of my gliders a few months back.
After Baby died I took Micca the vet and had him checked out and fecaled. The vet said he was healthy and his fecal came out clean.He did lose some weight and he started over grooming his tail a bit.

I also kept his cage the same for awhile. Not wanting to further stress him out by taking her scent away.
I increased the time I spent with him at night since he was alone and I brought him to work with me during the day.

I did wait alittle while before finding him a new cagemate (about two months). After I introduced him to Tipsy his weight went right back up and he is now leaving his tail alone.

Mother to
Micca :grey: Tipsy :wt:
Boomer :wfb: Blondie :wfb: and Kiara :grey:
Baby :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 520 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,658 TEXAS
679,107 OHIO
487,230 OKLAHOMA
432,232 UTAH
321,758 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024