Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
College Bonding? #1193080
11/17/11 07:55 PM
11/17/11 07:55 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Long story short: I'm 15, am ready for gliders after having done months of research, but will have to go to college in 4 years...

I will have to live in a dorm. I will be going to vet school, so after 9 months in a dorm, I will be able to take them to work and to classes with me.

AHH! I'm dying to experiance ownership of suggies. I have the time, cash, and heart for them.

What to do about college dorms?!?!

Looking forward to being owned by gliders.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1193132
11/17/11 10:41 PM
TN
AliceDoll Offline
Glider Lover
AliceDoll  Offline
Glider Lover

TN
I'm going to go out on a limb here, being a college student myself -- having them in a college dorm is not really a good idea

1) 90% of dorms do not allow pets of any kind, living in the dorm. You also can't really HIDE the gliders either, because most dorms will also do room checkups.. you can get kicked out for breaking a rule like that.

2) if you dorm somehow by chance DOES allow pets, take in consideration that you're going to have most likely a random stranger as your dorm mate. The cages required for these guys are quite large, as well as they make noises at night. Your prospective roommate may not appreciate it.

If you can get a room by yourself, then... MAYBE if it's allowed, it wouldn't be a big deal. You could keep her in your room, and make sure your door is locked before you head out.

smile

:leu: - Minnie , :plat: /Mosaic - Alto
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1193133
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
My two cents: you will be better prepared if you wait and get them as an adult, when your life is more stable.

I was dyyyyying for a ferret when I was your age. I asked for one for every birthday, and at every major holiday. My parents, wiser than me at the time, said they had no doubt I'd love a ferret, but told me to wait until I was under my own roof. And--whaddya know?--they knew best!

I got my first ferret when I was 19 and living with my boyfriend (now husband). I was able to provide him a stable and secure life, and give him everything he needed.

Sugar gliders are very expensive pets. They are very high-maintenance. They need vet care, and sometimes it's an emergency. Would your parents drive you to an e-vet in the middle of the night? Are your parents willing to buy fruits and veggies for the gliders? Let you order stuff with their credit card online?

Plus, most dorms do not allow pets of any kind. Are your parents going to take over FULL care and FULL responsibility for those nine months?

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1193150
11/17/11 11:11 PM
11/17/11 11:11 PM
TN
AliceDoll Offline
Glider Lover
AliceDoll  Offline
Glider Lover

TN
Also, I forgot to mention. 99% of dorms also don't have refrigerators --- you wouldn't be able to keep your food for him/her at a safe temperature..

Their diets are very peculiar and exact..

Let me tell you, I'm a senior in college, and as it is, I have a hard enough time taking care of a glider, let alone myself. tounge

I think it'd be best to wait it out a bit. Once you have your own apartment, in college, say junior year or so, then would be a good time

Last edited by AliceDoll; 11/17/11 11:12 PM.

:leu: - Minnie , :plat: /Mosaic - Alto
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1193176
11/18/11 12:06 AM
11/18/11 12:06 AM
Mishicot, WI, USA
I
Incerta Offline
Glider Guardian
Incerta  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

Mishicot, WI, USA
I was going to write a long reply about how, when I was 14, I thought I could handle a pet in college, then found out the hard way that I couldn't. And about how I've wanted gliders since 5th grade, but waited and planned and finally adopted a few this year, now that I'm renting a pet-friendly place and have a real job. But I know nobody cares, lol, so I'll just say this:

If I were you, I'd keep myself satisfied with shorter-lived pets until after college. Like rats! They're the smartest, most loving, and highly trainable critters I've ever had. If you end up being too busy with school and life, you might end up with unbonded gliders, but a rat will always love you! Plus, they're quiet enough that you can sneak them into the dorm...not that I ever did that, heh!

~Jess Hart

(630) 338-9190
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1193216
11/18/11 01:12 AM
11/18/11 01:12 AM
Wisconsin
Rel_C Offline
Out of Pouch
Rel_C  Offline
Out of Pouch

Wisconsin
Hi. I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. I’m 16 years old and I got my first glider about 2 months ago. My parents help me out a lot and let me use their credit cards too. All the things that gliders need are VERY expensive though so my advice is to wait until you have a job before you purchase a suggie. Also if you find you just cant wait to get one before you go to college try to find a school that doesn’t make freshman stay in the dorms. There are not a lot of schools that allow this though so you really need to do a lot of research before you adopt. Another issue is that gliders take up a lot of your time. If you are in sports or any other after school activities you may not have a lot of time to spend with your new babies right now. They need a lot of attention and love everyday. They are loud and can keep you up at night. They also smell bad if you aren’t used to their scent and they are messy so their cages need to be cleaned a lot. You also have to prepare their food every night which can take a while depending on what diet you pick. Are you ready to basically be a mom at 15?

*Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.* crazy
mlove The 3 biggest brats there ever was mlove

:wfb: Marty
:leu: Ike
:wfb: Clara
Re: College Bonding? [Re: Rel_C] #1193221
11/18/11 01:18 AM
11/18/11 01:18 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Originally Posted By: Rel_C
Hi. I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. I’m 16 years old and I got my first glider about 2 months ago. My parents help me out a lot and let me use their credit cards too. All the things that gliders need are VERY expensive though so my advice is to wait until you have a job before you purchase a suggie. Also if you find you just cant wait to get one before you go to college try to find a school that doesn’t make freshman stay in the dorms. There are not a lot of schools that allow this though so you really need to do a lot of research before you adopt. Another issue is that gliders take up a lot of your time. If you are in sports or any other after school activities you may not have a lot of time to spend with your new babies right now. They need a lot of attention and love everyday. They are loud and can keep you up at night. They also smell bad if you aren’t used to their scent and they are messy so their cages need to be cleaned a lot. You also have to prepare their food every night which can take a while depending on what diet you pick. Are you ready to basically be a mom at 15?

clap clap Very well said!

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194781
11/21/11 10:02 PM
11/21/11 10:02 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
I understand and realise the care and maintenence in caring for gliders... I simply wanted some advise on how to care for them when I AM forced to live in a dorm. I hadn't even considered sneaking them into the dorms.

I've already had rats, they were my BABIES! But my father is not keen on them. He hates the tails...

I curently have ferrets. They are WELL taken care of, and they aren't too much work. I'm ready for gliders.

I know what I'm taking about, guys... haha smile I was wondering if there was a possibility that they would remember me if my parents took care of them for a few months.

It will kill me to leave them.

I'm afraid there is almost nothing I can do to control myself... I must have SUGGIES!! laugh It's a behavior/relationship I've shared with animals since I can remember.

I will be feeding a TBLSP of HPW, along with a fruit/veggie smoothie(frozen cube) per glider each night. There will always be a pelleted diet in the cage.

I'm prepared to travel with them.

I repeat: I HAVE the finances. smile

Does anyone have any ideas about college? Y'all are gonna say I'm super irresponsible for bringing gliders into my home with college on the way... I cannot control myself. Any suggestions would be helpful.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194785
11/21/11 10:07 PM
11/21/11 10:07 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
I need your guys' trust. I can provide the care for them.

I am responsible enough to even ask... please help me out...

I'm not a hoarder, I'm simply.... savvy...

I will be going to WSU. They require dorms during freshman year.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194787
11/21/11 10:10 PM
11/21/11 10:10 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
Oh my... my dad is planning something... I found the complete write-up/guide that I wrote near our PC today...
I think he is ordering the supplies as a suprise so that I can get the babes around christmas time...

I can read my dad... This is what he did with the rats/ferrets/bird/etc...

HELP MEEE! 0.o

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194836
11/22/11 12:17 AM
11/22/11 12:17 AM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: MissB
I need your guys' trust. I can provide the care for them.

I am responsible enough to even ask... please help me out...

I'm not a hoarder, I'm simply.... savvy...

I will be going to WSU. They require dorms during freshman year.

How far away do your parents live from WSU? Is there a way the gliders could live at the hous with them for that period and you visit daily, like when you are doing homework?

Have we talked? Who are you working with as far as breeders go? Getting gliders locally may be better for you? I really think you would benefit from hands on experiences with them first to get a feel for how they are.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194843
11/22/11 12:27 AM
11/22/11 12:27 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I think you need to spend some time with someone who has gliders - and not all of them completely bonded. It's important you see both sides and not only you, but your parents.

My personal opinion is that it's irresponsible to get them just because you "must have suggies". I think it's unfair to them and it CAN be detrimental to their health and well being. I only hope your parents know of the work that is involved in caring for these guys - just because they are adorable, doesn't mean they're easy.

So, while I admire your drive, I can't agree that it's a good idea.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: DCMuffin] #1194849
11/22/11 12:43 AM
11/22/11 12:43 AM
Danville, VA
JadeEliz Offline
Glider Explorer
JadeEliz  Offline
Glider Explorer

Danville, VA
Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
I think you need to spend some time with someone who has gliders - and not all of them completely bonded. It's important you see both sides and not only you, but your parents.

My personal opinion is that it's irresponsible to get them just because you "must have suggies". I think it's unfair to them and it CAN be detrimental to their health and well being. I only hope your parents know of the work that is involved in caring for these guys - just because they are adorable, doesn't mean they're easy.

So, while I admire your drive, I can't agree that it's a good idea.

I have to agree with Aimee here. It would not be in the gliders best interest and as a vet you will see a lot of this in your practice. People are going to get animals they are not really ready for because they are impatient. Are you willing to be one of the type of people you will most likely one day be advising NOT to do the same? As a vet the well-being of an animal should come before personal desires and a good vet will know this all too well.

-~-~-~-
My Sugar Babies~
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :plat: :cream:

Mercedes, Snickers, Tyler, Trinity, Sunset, Twilight, Orion, Aro, Serenity, Phoenix, Raven, Brynlee, and Tobias!

www.sunsetsugargliders.com

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194907
11/22/11 08:12 AM
11/22/11 08:12 AM
Highland NY
midnight Offline
Glider Lover
midnight  Offline
Glider Lover

Highland NY
i went to college recently. There is now way i would bring them into a dorm. you are to you to understand what goes on in dorms... I graduated in 2007, trust me, it will not be a good fit for suggies.
Here is a scenario that would happen:
Your out on campus and some kid who is highly intoxicated comes stumbling into your room because your roomate let them. They are curiuos about the suggies and open up to see. Further madness ensues.
Every college i visited was the same way. Random people in randoom rooms at any time

Home of the Suggie Ninjas: Rayne :grey: Luka :grey: Binx :wfb: and Kaylie :grey:
Re: College Bonding? [Re: DCMuffin] #1194920
11/22/11 09:44 AM
11/22/11 09:44 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
In addition to what Aimee stated, please take into consideration that you're going to HAVE to LEAVE them with your parents during your semester, for MONTHS at a time. During that time, are your parents going to handle them as much as you would, have tent time, play, and take care of them the as you would? If not, they very likely WILL revert back to their un-tame, wild, instinctual behavior and you'll have to start the bonding process all over again every time you leave them. Is that something you're prepared to put them thru?

Alyssa

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194936
11/22/11 10:06 AM
11/22/11 10:06 AM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
I realise how "irresponsible" and hypocritic I'm being... I have spent time with my breeder, located in Federal Way, I have held babies, adults, etc.

I have ferrets guys... I don't care if they break the skin. I can take a few bites. The crabbing doesn't scare me whatsoever. I have a tent, I will be hanging fleece vines and jungle gyms from my ceiling.

Yes, they will be well-taken care of.

My dad is willing to feed, throw in a bonding pouch, clean, let them run around in a tent when I'm gone.

I trust him, but will my gliders be angry when I leave and resent me when I return? I live 6 hours away. I will visit during the holidays, and the odd weekend. Plus, my parents will come up. I can ask them to bring them then.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is--if I manage to make a strong bond with a couple of gliders, will they remember, resent, be depressed upon my arrival?

I guess all I'm asking, is that if I create strong bonds with a couple of gliders, will they be depressed when

Last edited by MissB; 11/22/11 10:07 AM.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194948
11/22/11 10:24 AM
11/22/11 10:24 AM
Virginia
Sami Offline
Glider Explorer
Sami  Offline
Glider Explorer

Virginia
Just reading this thread makes me sooo thankful that I didn't go to college. I still got my degree, but while working and doing classes online combined with technical school. I like to have my share of fun, but if a random drunk person came into my house and started ruining my belongings or endangering my pets, it'd get ugly.

I KNOW how much it sucks to wait, but it's probably best. My gliders get mad at much simpler things than leaving them, such as running out of mealies or cutting back on the amount of yogies 'cause one's getting chubby tounge I wanted gliders back when I was in high school and honestly, if I got them then, I'm sure I would have followed pocket pet's rules since we didn't have internet to recheck information. My parents absolutely wouldn't allow suggies...now I live with my boyfriend and we're about to add suggie #4. I'm 21 now, so it took a long time, but they're definitely worth the wait. smile

Mommy of four suggies! <3

Navi :grey: , Meeka :grey: , our rescue girl, Cinnamon :wfb: , and leu baby Gabriel :leu:

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194953
11/22/11 10:28 AM
11/22/11 10:28 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I realise how "irresponsible" and hypocritic I'm being... I have spent time with my breeder, located in Federal Way, I have held babies, adults, etc.

I have ferrets guys... I don't care if they break the skin. I can take a few bites. The crabbing doesn't scare me whatsoever. I have a tent, I will be hanging fleece vines and jungle gyms from my ceiling.

Yes, they will be well-taken care of.

My dad is willing to feed, throw in a bonding pouch, clean, let them run around in a tent when I'm gone.

I trust him, but will my gliders be angry when I leave and resent me when I return? I live 6 hours away. I will visit during the holidays, and the odd weekend. Plus, my parents will come up. I can ask them to bring them then.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is--if I manage to make a strong bond with a couple of gliders, will they remember, resent, be depressed upon my arrival?

I guess all I'm asking, is that if I create strong bonds with a couple of gliders, will they be depressed when

I'm not sure that any of us are going to give you the answer you're really looking for. You asked for our "blessing" and in doing so, you will now get a variety of answers and differing opinions.

This has nothing to do with whether or not you can take the bite. These are little animals that, when handled properly, create a strong bond with their owner. By you creating that bond with them, and then leaving them behind, the answer is yes, it can definitely cause depression and anxiety. And if this DOES happen, you run the risk of a glider who overgrooms, or becomes ill, thus 1) leaving your parents responsible for the emergency vet visits and subsequent care of an ill glider and 2) senselessly creating something that doesn't have to be. It's a bit selfish and I think you really ought to take a step back and think about what would be good for THEM, not you. After all, this is what's most important.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1194984
11/22/11 11:42 AM
11/22/11 11:42 AM
Lower Mid-Michigan
bjve Offline
Glider Lover
bjve  Offline
Glider Lover

Lower Mid-Michigan
My daughter got her two gliders in her senior year of college (last year). She started off with them in the campus owned apartment, but was always on the alert for room checks. Fortunately, the college warns students of upcoming room checks. They actually were fine with her, BUT she did ultimately end up bringing them home for me to take care of the rest of her senior year. It wasn't worth the worry of room checks - and the fine and meeting with the Dean of Student Life if caught - as well as the last-minute moving them out as a result. Besides regular room checks, there were fire drills. And fellow students who would see them and mention them to friends who mentioned them to who-knows-who. My daughter was lucky - I had my first pair as well and was very happy to watch the girls. But it is alot of work and time, especially for someone who is helping you out, not fully vested in them personally. My daughter graduated and grad school started immediately, so when she was in her permanent apartment, the girls went to live with her. They are bonded to her, and all are very happy. They were fine with me because I took care and time with them - talking, playing, nail trimming, etc. And the college is in our hometown - she still had a tough time getting home to see them between a rigorous schedule and 4 part-time jobs.

My point is really that you would be better to wait until you don't have that worry, and don't have to rely on someone else to take care of the physical and emotional needs of the gliders for you. It's much more fun for all of you to be relaxed and enjoy - not be missing you all the time. And they WILL miss you. There will always be gliders that need homes...they will be waiting for you.

Bobbie

Mom to 2 humans, 1 dog, 2 horses, & 12 sweet gliders

Georgie, Poppy, Jasmine & Aymee
:grey: Lily, Libby, Lils & :wfb: Levi
:leu: Luna & :grey: Zeke
:rtmo: Sheldon & :leu: Biebers

and the TRIPLETS (Yoda, Pinot, & Grigio)

www.HighGlassGliders.com

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195005
11/22/11 12:56 PM
11/22/11 12:56 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
You must be talking to Voodoo Moon Gliders? Have you told them your plans for college? What have they said? I would expect you to share info with them if you are trusting them for other info and they are considering selling you gliders?

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195025
11/22/11 01:53 PM
11/22/11 01:53 PM

J
janej
Unregistered
janej
Unregistered
J

Currently being a sophomore in college, I don't think I would ever bring a glider into a dorm. Assuming since you want to be a vet you'd be majoring in biology like myself, you have no idea how hard the course load is until you get to college and experience it. The final grade of my science classes is composed of 3-5 test grades, no homework. That means devoting a lot of time for studying, and also studying for the labs that happen once a week for each science class you take. I'm in no means trying to scare you from becoming a vet, just know becoming a biology major gives you a lot on your plate and you might not have a lot of time for a glider.

I've had my glider for a little over two weeks now, but I don't live in a dorm. I live at home with my father and my boyfriend also lives with me too. From first hand experience, it's hard to manage taking care of a glider and doing my school work. There are days when I come home from a full day at school and want to relax or sleep, but I don't because I know I have a responsibility to take care of my glider. Would you want to bring a glider to college and have him living around strangers? The majority of the people who live on campus at my school go out and party 3 or 4 days a week. You don't know what they can do if they come back to the dorm intoxicated. What would happen one day if your door was left unlocked? And what if you brought a glider to school and your room mate didn't want it in your dorm?

Another point I have to bring up is going home to visit if your glider stayed with your parents. The people at my school who live a considerable distance away don't go home that much. In fact, I think the only time they go home is for Christmas break and possibly spring break. You have to understand that if your living 6 hours away, there probably will be times when you will not be able to go home and visit.

There are a lot of different factors to consider about getting a glider while in college and bringing it to a dorm, be sure to consider everything possible.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195051
11/22/11 03:19 PM
11/22/11 03:19 PM
Vermont, USA
Taryn Offline
Glider Explorer
Taryn  Offline
Glider Explorer

Vermont, USA
I do not own gliders yet, but will be adopting some soon, but I have had experience as a college student and pet lover... When I was in the dorms, I had pet mice. My dream in life was to have a dog and to have rats and maybe chinchillas, but considering the demands of college and the strict rules regarding pets in dorms (the mice were snuck in! They would never have been allowed), I stuck with the mice, who were easy to feed, house, and care for. And if I knew my roomies were having a party or was going to be gone for most the day or something, I would lock the cage in my closet so nothing could happen to them.

The only way I would condone you having gliders at this point in your life, for their sake as well as your own!, would be if your parents are just as thrilled to get them as you are, and if your parents truly want them as pets for themselves that they would share with you.
If they are just doing this for you and not partially for themselves, then I would encourage them to be more prepared for the responsibility they will be undertaking while you live at school - not just financially and health-wise but emotionally for the gliders' happiness and mental stability!

Maybe ask them to order a couple books on gliders or encourage them to come on glider central and read this post along with others... And if they are still game after they know what they would be getting into, then I would say you could safely revisit the situation.

In the mean time, I loved my mice in college and think that would be a better option for you that would still be a very rewarding and happy experience :-)

Beloved boyfriend: Dan cloud9
Chihuahuas: Halle (6) and Heidi (1)
Am. Staff. Terrier: Chanel (6)
Cichlids: Biggz, Walter, Doodles, Waffle, Monster, Domino
...and 2 baby SUGGIES! heart :wfb: Luxe & Vuitton :grey: (Adopted 12/29/11)
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195116
11/22/11 05:30 PM
11/22/11 05:30 PM
Lower Mid-Michigan
bjve Offline
Glider Lover
bjve  Offline
Glider Lover

Lower Mid-Michigan
I agree with Taryn. My daughter actually started with degus in college, and ended up with the gliders....at home with me...lol. But I was happy to get them and take care of them along with my own. And the degus were portable (for closet hiding) and adorable!

Bobbie

www.HighGlassGliders.com

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195158
11/22/11 06:04 PM
11/22/11 06:04 PM
Mishicot, WI, USA
I
Incerta Offline
Glider Guardian
Incerta  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

Mishicot, WI, USA
If your dad DOES wind up getting you gliders for Xmas, or if you get them yourself, please make sure he really will be okay taking care of the suggies the right way. He can't just "feed, throw in a bonding pouch, clean, let them run around in a tent." He needs to be willing to actually spend time with them and play with them, so they can have a human companion they trust while you're gone. I know you have money and time for them, but does your dad? They'll basically be his for 9 months, after all.

But no, your gliders won't forget you. If they're bonded with you by the time you leave, they'll be horribly depressed, but they should remember you by the time you come back. Things will be awkward and you might have to try really hard to regain their trust, but eventually, they ought to get back to normal.

Of course, if you do go to vet school, you could do your gen eds at a community college and commute, and then enter vet school as a transfer and maybe get out of the dorm requirement.

Or if you have a boyfriend or close friend living off campus and nearby, maybe they could have the gliders live with them and you just visit every day. That's what my boyfriend did for me with our gliders while I was living in a really bad place

~Jess Hart

(630) 338-9190
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195175
11/22/11 06:46 PM
11/22/11 06:46 PM

K
KatieCreel
Unregistered
KatieCreel
Unregistered
K

I'm a college student and I currently live in the dorms with my two sugar gliders...of course we keep it on the DL. But most of the people in Professional Services already know about them and love them...the head of the school just can't know. However, I'm moving out on the 16th into my own apartment. From my own experience...it's stressful at times to keep them in a dorm because of the crabbing and occasional barking, the cleaning checks, and the all around hiding them. If you are careful about it you should be fine, but my school might be a tad more chill than others.

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195229
11/22/11 09:20 PM
11/22/11 09:20 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
If your dad does get you gliders for Christmas please do the gliders a favor and Do Not take them to college.

I am going to give you the horror story I heard after moving to Madison, WI a few years ago. It absolutely boiled my blood.

This guy never wants to meet me.

The following is very gross and disturbing, not for the squeamish.

Alvarez, age 23 of 402 W. Dayton St. a University of Wisconsin senior had been charged with animal cruelty and theft for cooking Cory Greenfield's parrot in a microwave oven.

The 1 year old Quaker parrot, named Lago, exploded before the Sigma Chi fraternity brothers could free the bird.

Alvarez is the son of the university football coach Barry Alvarez. Alvarez has been convicted before on charges of first-offense drunken driving.

Alvarez broke into Greenfield's room, removed the parrot from his cage, threw the parrot against a wall, tortured and killed the parrot because he was angry over an e-mail that was sent around the fraternity house at 221 Langdon St.

This was Coach Alvarez's kid that did this stunt and I feel he got of very light.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195234
11/22/11 09:27 PM
Highland NY
midnight Offline
Glider Lover
midnight  Offline
Glider Lover

Highland NY
oh my *** feather! terrible

Home of the Suggie Ninjas: Rayne :grey: Luka :grey: Binx :wfb: and Kaylie :grey:
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195235
Lower Mid-Michigan
bjve Offline
Glider Lover
bjve  Offline
Glider Lover

Lower Mid-Michigan
I will NEVER understand how someone can be so cold and cruel to another living creature.

Bobbie

www.HighGlassGliders.com

Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195252
11/22/11 10:05 PM
11/22/11 10:05 PM
Washington
M
MissB Offline OP
Glider Explorer
MissB  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
M

Washington
You're right, it would be stupid to leave your cage unattended.

Feather, that's a complete extreme. Just because I'm a "kid" doesn't mean that I'm stupid enough to even CONSIDER sneaking them into a dorm. I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, trust the people at college...

Not to be mean-- But I feel insulted. Can you at least TRY to treat me like an adult? I may be ambitious, but I would like to clear your guys' veiw of my idiocy.

I say this again..... I can provide them with QUALITY care... Please quit testing me. Voodoo sent me an e-mail from a weird contact I knew not of. This e-mail consisted of a suspicious "breeder" that was trying to pitch his suggies to me. He wasn't asking appropriate questions, and had false information in this "pitch". Ugh, I got furious. I told that person off, and correctd his info. I told him to quit breeding gliders and get his info straight.

Then Voodoo emailed me saying that it was a test. I passed!!! laugh

Yeah, my breeder is from Voodoo Gliders. I have spoken with her. She says that if I trust my parents, then they would be fine, so long as I visited them.

I like your idea, Incerta. I will most-likely have some friends who live off-campus after being there for a couple of months. When I speak to the professors at the vet. school this spring, I will ask them about keeping my gliders with one of their techs or somn.

Well, thanks guys! You opened my eyes to the responbility that my dad will have to accept for a few months.

Please don't hate me... I AM looking for the best care for the gliders. I think that they will be really happy with me for the next four-five years, and that I will have them strongly bonded with my father so that they will have no trouble during my absense.

I'm gonna be pretty jelous when my dad has to have the bonding pouch... but I NEED them to trust him for the next few years.

-Bailet
Re: College Bonding? [Re: MissB] #1195512
11/23/11 12:55 PM
11/23/11 12:55 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington

Not to be mean-- But I feel insulted. Can you at least TRY to treat me like an adult? I may be ambitious, but I would like to clear your guys' veiw of my idiocy.

I say this again..... I can provide them with QUALITY care... Please quit testing me. Voodoo sent me an e-mail from a weird contact I knew not of. This e-mail consisted of a suspicious "breeder" that was trying to pitch his suggies to me. He wasn't asking appropriate questions, and had false information in this "pitch". Ugh, I got furious. I told that person off, and correctd his info. I told him to quit breeding gliders and get his info straight.

Then Voodoo emailed me saying that it was a test. I passed!!! laugh

Yeah, my breeder is from Voodoo Gliders. I have spoken with her. She says that if I trust my parents, then they would be fine, so long as I visited

I don't think anyone is trying to talk down to you, but you are 15 so technically, an adult would need to go into contract to adopt gliders with most breeders. I think people are just trying to warn you.

I find the fact that your breeder sent you a bogus email as a teat quite odd. dunno maybe I am missing something?

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024