Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? #1213760
01/08/12 05:43 AM
01/08/12 05:43 AM
Kingsport, Tn
C
cour10egurl Offline OP
cour10egurl  Offline OP
C

Kingsport, Tn
I'm new to this forum as well as to sugar gliders, and have been trying to do as much research as possible before purchasing one...I originally just wanted one little girl, but I've read on several different sites online that you should always get 2 or more since they can becoming easily depressed? Is this true or false?? I just thought that if I had one, it would be easier for me to bond to rather than having 2 or more. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by sugarlope; 01/28/12 04:18 PM. Reason: renamed thread
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1213763
01/08/12 07:26 AM
01/08/12 07:26 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Very true, and many, including myself, will tell you that they tend to bond faster and better when in at least pairs than if they were alone. Research this site about duos, trios, quads and the effects of being a single glider. Many stories of singlets are just heart breaking.

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1213764
01/08/12 07:27 AM
01/08/12 07:27 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
HI and :welcome:

Most will say getting 2 is better. It is no harder to bond with 2 than it is to bond with one. You just work with them together.

Some will even say that it helps the bonding process if you do 2 together rather than one at a time.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1213809
01/08/12 11:31 AM
01/08/12 11:31 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
You need to keep in mind how these animals live in nature, they are colony animals. It is not natural for them to live alone. So yes, they should be in pairs of at least 2.

bonding is the same, so having two doesn't hinder the bonding process. It will actually help. They are much happier and more social when in pairs.

And yes, a lone glider can get very depressed. This is not a good thing for them. Depression can lead to loss of appetite and eventually you could loose the glider.

Now, there are the very rare situations where a glider can live alone. But again, that is rare and should never be encouraged. This is typically permitted when a glider has had issues with other gliders and should never be done because the owner only wants one glider.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1214997
01/10/12 10:52 PM
01/10/12 10:52 PM
NY
W
weyrsinger Offline
Glider Lover
weyrsinger  Offline
Glider Lover
W

NY
Welcome!
I got my first sugar gliders recently, and like you at first I thought I would only get one for starters. But as I read about how they do a lot better in pairs I decided to go with 2 (which also helped me decide whether I wanted a girl or a boy- I got one of each!). I'm glad I got 2, because once you're already investing in one it's a very small amount of investment added to get a second. Except for the cost of the 2nd joey itself, you still need all the same stuff for 2 as for 1 (cage, pouches, toys, wheel, etc). I'm not sure if you've picked a diet yet, but I'm feeding HPW Complete and I feel like it's no more difficult feeding several (I have 3 now) than it was feeding 1.

And my gliders are much happier than they would be if they were alone! I can really tell they enjoy each others company. They love to cuddle and groom each other, and it's fun to watch them interact with one another.

Last edited by weyrsinger; 01/12/12 02:12 AM.

Mindy Wynn

Introducing...The A-Team of Mount Olympus~
Apollo Basil :wfb:
Athena Viola :grey:

:rbridge:
Rest in Peace, Ares Sebastian. Love you always.

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1215432
01/11/12 10:34 PM
01/11/12 10:34 PM
South Carolina
Skye12191 Offline
Glider Explorer
Skye12191  Offline
Glider Explorer

South Carolina
i also always keep my gliders in at least twos although i do have 2 trios....they really are much happier when they have another glider in the cage to play with. They are up at night when you are sleeping so the other glider is very impoortat being i feel this is when they play the most. smile

Jessie

:leu: SLAVE to my suggies Stefan and Damon and my dog named Hoshi :wfb:

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1216577
01/14/12 08:46 PM
01/14/12 08:46 PM
United States
SugarShock Offline
Glider Explorer
SugarShock  Offline
Glider Explorer

United States
I have a trio, three pairs and a colony of four, I have found that they are do much happier when kept in small colonies or pairs. In my opinion, they definitely need it least one friend. How would you feel if you were the only human around and living in a world where nobody spoke your language or understood you? You'd be terrified. They need a buddy to interact with and to talk to!!! :-)

~Lauren Elizabeth, Mommy To 15 Of The Sweetest Sugar Gliders!~
Aussie, Candy, Gizmo, Scooter, Stella Luna :wfb:
Ceasar, Bindi, Juliet, Romeo, Sadie, Sheila :grey:
Bandit, Houdini :bb: , Rowan, Willow :leu:
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1216707
01/15/12 11:12 AM
01/15/12 11:12 AM
New York
I
IndieAndStella Offline
Glider Lover
IndieAndStella  Offline
Glider Lover
I

New York
i got my first glider under the false impression that shed be ok as a lone glider. the person i was buying from only had one available, so it was about a month before i could find her a cagemate. she seemed happy just playing with me, no SM or complications...but as soon as i brought her a friend home, she went from happy to ecstatic! the second they were introduced she was holding the other ones face and licking her. two is definately better for your gliders sake...and it is so much fun watching them play together. they keep me laughing :0)

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1217232
01/16/12 02:59 PM
01/16/12 02:59 PM
Connecticut
TinaPa Offline
Glider Lover
TinaPa  Offline
Glider Lover

Connecticut
I don't think that getting one is really as safe as getting two. You will always have the worry of sm or depression. Getting two is a lot more fun too! I've heard of people having problems with only one glider and I have heard success stories as well but I still feel it is better for them to have a friend.

Proud slave of:
:leu: Prince Charming :wfb: Snow White :grey: Priscilla :rtmo: Ava :rtmo: Astrid
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1218054
01/18/12 03:27 AM
01/18/12 03:27 AM

D
dooneygirl09
Unregistered
dooneygirl09
Unregistered
D

Ive always heard 2 is better than one, and I believe it. I wouldnt want to be locked in a cage by myself without anyone to talk too frown

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1218056
01/18/12 04:08 AM
01/18/12 04:08 AM
MD
B
BookGoddess Offline
Out of Pouch
BookGoddess  Offline
Out of Pouch
B

MD
I find that mill breeders seem to be the only ones that openly sell single gliders and tell people that it is ok to have just one.

I do not believe this to be correct. It is not natural for these animals to be alone, they live in groups and it is biological for them to need a group and not be balanced if they do not have one. IMHO

Great job doing research first!

Inara :leu: + Mal WF :wfb:
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1218326
01/18/12 10:05 PM
01/18/12 10:05 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
I've dealt with lone gliders~ one due to loss of cage mate, another having been housed alone for the most part of a year (occassionally the teen girl would let her glider play with her friends glider).. anyways~ its been my experience that they aren't just merely happy but absolutely "ecstatic" when they have the right friend. (The level of enthusiasm displayed when given a buddy is heart breaking as it is heart warming) And when there is 2~ they are more comfortable in the bonding process than if they are alone. ~you would adjust better with moral support better than if you were alone in what can be a scary/new situation.

Its a rare situation that a glider would need to be alone~ yes it happens, but its the exception to the rule and said glider has been given many a chance to make a friend and chose/preferred not to.. and in one case that I know it was a health issue.

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1218429
01/19/12 01:13 AM
01/19/12 01:13 AM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

I work with a lot of people that have been told to get 2nd gliders to help calm their first gliders down.

I am going to tell you that it only SOMETIMES works. you have a 50/50 chance that the sweet glider will teach the problem glider to be sweet.. the other 50 percent chance is that you will end up with 2 problem gliders. which also means more gliders in rescue due to the fact people get tired of gliders that can not handle.

most gliders that end up in rescue have behavioral issues.. too many times people get 2 gliders and there may be a problem glider in one, and they don't bother with either of them.

Contrary to common beliefs this is not just a problem with mill bred gliders, this problem is everywhere with many breeders as they push for the new owners to get 2 right off the bat,

Quote:
I find that mill breeders seem to be the only ones that openly sell single gliders and tell people that it is ok to have just one.

well let me introduce myself.. I too will sell singles, and I do tell people it is okay to only have one. I personally think people should spend the time to bond with their first baby, and if it doesn't work out, then we only need to find a home for one glider.. after you feel confidant in what you are doing, and you are ready for a second then get it..it is also much easier to work on behavioral issues if you are only working with one glider.

I have been heavily involved in the SM's for over 10 and they are not related to loneliness or depression from being alone. the medical issues out there are not from single gliders. because gliders that have cage mates all have the same issues... there is no discrimination when it comes to medical issues.

I read a lot where people take in rescues and they are lone gliders, they claim that by adding the second glider that it makes this huge difference.. I have learned by talking with many people that not only did they add a cage mate.. they also.. changed diets, gotten bigger cages, filled it with interactive toys, started spending time with the gliders. That is a lot of changes giving all the credit to just getting them a cage mate.

I have a glider in my home who has been a lone glider for several years. 2 times we tried to put cage mates in with him, 2 times he killed them.

My Baybe traveled with me a lot, her cage mate was often left behind.. she didn't mind being away from him, although he had a problem with her being gone. but she was older than him, and she was my lone glider till we got him..so from the time he was a joey he had her as a cage mate.. he became dependent on her, for his happiness, whereas she was dependent on me for hers.

people choose to bring the gliders into their homes as pets, it is their responsibility to see that they are happy, whether they have one 2, 3 or 23.. but getting a second glider is not the answer all the time for all the issues a glider may have..

I see on the board where people say their sweet glider got mean.. the common answer.. getting em a mate.. what about health? maybe she/he is sick? bringing in a second glider could jeopardize the life of 2 gliders instead of 1. people post.. my glider is biting me.. common answer... get em a mate.. why???if the person can't handle the one they have why risk 2 of them possibly being neglected?

if people don't think that many gliders get neglected because of behavioral issues.. rescues homes will strongly disagree.. and if you ask those rescue homes about the demeanor of the pairs.. they will tell you there is almost always 1 sweet one with the mean one.

I wouldn't give my 16 year old daughter 2 cars to drive if she can't drive one.

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: Bourbon] #1218629
01/19/12 03:36 PM
01/19/12 03:36 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Bourbon

My Baybe traveled with me a lot, her cage mate was often left behind.. she didn't mind being away from him, although he had a problem with her being gone. but she was older than him, and she was my lone glider till we got him..so from the time he was a joey he had her as a cage mate.. he became dependent on her, for his happiness, whereas she was dependent on me for hers.

I sooooo relate to this! Although, Gizmo doesnt care when I take Arwen out. In fact, I think they both sleep better when separated, because when together, they bicker all day LOL

As for the original question...while most say 2 is better, Bourbon makes some very valid points. I think it all depends on the glider and the commitment of the owner.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1218744
01/19/12 09:36 PM
01/19/12 09:36 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
Ha ha! Okay~ so Bourbon makes valid points~
My Twinkie was happy to have a friend because he had never been alone before that~ and loss of cagemate can be horribly sad for a glider.

My karma.. I changed her diet, bigger and cleaner housing, bonding time, playtime.. toys to explore even if she didn't want/know how to play with them...
She was extremely happy to have Twinkie and Zinger~ but her happiness had improved greatly before that (for one, she stopped overgrooming before I put her with them..)..

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1218758
01/19/12 09:51 PM
01/19/12 09:51 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

LOL so Chrystal it seems to me that the best thing that happened to her since apple pie.. wasn't just the cage mates.. it was the most important factor that most people don't think about.. the angel that took her in... you..

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: Bourbon] #1218786
01/19/12 10:19 PM
01/19/12 10:19 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally Posted By: Bourbon
LOL so Chrystal it seems to me that the best thing that happened to her since apple pie.. wasn't just the cage mates.. it was the most important factor that most people don't think about.. the angel that took her in... you..

mlove
That makes me so warm and fuzzy inside~ I didn't realize my part in her happiness before now lol~ my fuzzies have been getting all the credit lol!

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: Bourbon] #1218889
01/20/12 12:39 AM
01/20/12 12:39 AM

D
dooneygirl09
Unregistered
dooneygirl09
Unregistered
D

I hope when I get the second one, they will both fall in love with me smile thumb

Probably wishful thinking :thumbd:

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1219069
01/20/12 12:06 PM
01/20/12 12:06 PM
Mo
H
hypnotist321 Offline
Glider Explorer
hypnotist321  Offline
Glider Explorer
H

Mo
I started with 2. And one was not happy. Then I became 5... and still 1 was not happy. Not only was 1 not happy, but like a rotten apple in the barrel, my once happy gliders were becoming unhappy as well. It was working with the 1 original crank that changed everything for all of them.

Although in the beginning I didn't know any better, now I don't think I'd first decide that my glider was depressed right off the bat. I'd be looking at fear and stress and health. And a cage mate isn't going to fix whatever problem the owner hasn't figured out.

I'd never split up a pair, but I'd not run get a second glider until crab number one had his or her little life in order :-)

All that being said - of course I'd rather see everyone have a friend. So once you have a happy healthy glider - then I'd be on a mission to find him a buddy.

Angela
Spike & Lola (mom and dad/neutered) OOP 2009
Peek-A-Boo (joey #1) OOP 8/20/2011
Fancy & Stash (twins girl & boy/neutered) OOP 11/20/11
Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: hypnotist321] #1219079
01/20/12 12:36 PM
01/20/12 12:36 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I also agree that there is more to a gliders health and happiness than just a buddy. Knowing your gliders is the key, because there are some gliders that will significantly suffer without a buddy.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Should you ALWAYS get at least 2?? [Re: cour10egurl] #1219717
01/21/12 10:54 PM
01/21/12 10:54 PM
munford tn
erobison Offline
Out of Pouch
erobison  Offline
Out of Pouch

munford tn
when i got my first glider he was a lone one..... now he has cage mates and boy has he changed you can tell he is happier.... i also have rescuse and all of them are at least in pairs ... the way i got most of them ... they also love to "talk " between cages at night i just sit in there with them and its hilarious

Eric

3 kids Autumn 3 Nate 4 and Emily 12

:grey: Stewie , :wfb: Pooh bear :wfb: spice

:grey: snufalufagus hudini barbie rapunzel

Rescues :grey: bert ernie oscar

:rbridge: Yogie

And a wife that tolerates us all tounge

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024