Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML #1217813
01/17/12 09:04 PM
01/17/12 09:04 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
Hi everyone,
I have been feeding HPW Complete since I got my babies this past October. They eat it fine, but don't always finish (I do give the req. amounts). I've been thinking about switching to BML since I can get everything locally and it seems to be cheaper. I've been trying to weigh pros and cons and here's what I've got:

BML pros: cheaper (seemingly), easily accessible, more regimented (as far as fruits and veggies)
BML cons: more regimented (can't decide if I like that or not... haha), smellier from what I've read, more prep work up front

HPW pros: easier/fewer steps, doesn't smell bad
HPW cons: seems to be more expensive, shipping/not locally available

Opinions? Am I missing anything? Any personal experience switching?

Also, if I decide to switch, how do I go about that? I know it's rarely a good idea to just switch, so would I feed bml one night, hpw the next for a while, or feed portions of both each night...? Any help/advice/experience is more than welcomed

Rachel
Mommy to Dixie :grey: Tater :grey: Bobby John :grey:
Lulu :grey: Beau :grey:
Spike and Sophie the hedgies
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1217818
01/17/12 09:11 PM
01/17/12 09:11 PM
Joppa, Maryland
holelottaRosie Offline
Glider Explorer
holelottaRosie  Offline
Glider Explorer

Joppa, Maryland
I have found that the cage and everything in it isn't as sticky with HPW...my gliders love their HPW...bowls are licked clean every night...they didnt do that with BML

Gary
Servant to
Mia & Rosie :grey: Delilah :wfb:
Piper,Phoebe and Paige :grey: "The Charmed Ones"
My Connie babies Liam & Lilith :bb: And Sparrow :rtmo:
3 Kitties Jazzy,Angus and Clyde..We miss you Ashley
1 Adorable Basset Hound Puppy "Zelda The Great"
1 Adorable Wife Celia "The Boss"
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1217826
01/17/12 09:19 PM
01/17/12 09:19 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
misconception is that people think they should eat all the BML.. fact is there should still be some left in the bowl, to ensure that everyone in the cage gets enough to eat..

also there is a huge difference in the BML and the HPW complete.. the BML has substance.. (not a difference in nutrients.. not a bad thing or a good thing)

just meaning they don't need to eat it all to get full.. like the difference between eating a bowl of spaghetti and a bowl of soup.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1217834
01/17/12 09:29 PM
01/17/12 09:29 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Switching the diet is totally up to you. I choose to feed BML because I can get everything locally AND because there is a specific list of fruits & veggies. To me, its a no brainer diet. I like it, and my gliders eat it. I've never (knock on wood) had sick gliders, so I'm happy with it.

I don't have experience with any of the HPW diets, so I can't give you any comparisons.

Just to comment, you said you just got your gliders in October. How old are they? Remember that the recommended portions are set for adults; so if you have younger gliders, they may not eat the entire portion. That would be normal for any diet.

I usually don't recommend switching diets unless there is a reason to, such as them not eating it. The best diet does not good at all if your gliders won't eat it.

Good luck on your decision!

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1217956
01/17/12 11:34 PM
01/17/12 11:34 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
Thanks for the opinions. They are 15ish months and 9 months old. Any others?

Rachel
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218135
01/18/12 12:54 PM
01/18/12 12:54 PM
MI
GidgetsMom Offline
Glider Lover
GidgetsMom  Offline
Glider Lover

MI
Hmm, I switched from the HPW Complete (Glider Gravy I got from Pocket Pets) to the HPW diet - High Protein Wombaroo Recipe. I felt comfortable with the switching, and I can tell you this - my gliders WENT NUTS with it! They LOVE it! LOL

Although yes, when mixing it in the blender, it is STINKY. :agreed: But once it's frozen you don't smell it anymore.

Jen

Mommy to girls Gidget, Gizmo and
our new additions Guinness & Genevieve

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: GidgetsMom] #1218272
01/18/12 06:49 PM
01/18/12 06:49 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
Originally Posted By: GidgetsMom
Hmm, I switched from the HPW Complete (Glider Gravy I got from Pocket Pets) to the HPW diet - High Protein Wombaroo Recipe. I felt comfortable with the switching, and I can tell you this - my gliders WENT NUTS with it! They LOVE it! LOL

Although yes, when mixing it in the blender, it is STINKY. :agreed: But once it's frozen you don't smell it anymore.

Jen, do you mean you switched to BML or HPW?

Rachel
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218284
01/18/12 07:27 PM
01/18/12 07:27 PM
US
SugarGliderLove Offline
Glider Guardian
SugarGliderLove  Offline
Glider Guardian

US
Since I got my first glider in 2005 I've been feeding BML I don't find it smelly at all. but then again I've been feeding it for going to be 7 years in Aug of this year. I like it cause it is realistically cheep to make and you can get basically everything at your local store except the vitamins and most pet stores sell them. All my gliders love the BML.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218290
01/18/12 08:02 PM
01/18/12 08:02 PM
New York
I
IndieAndStella Offline
Glider Lover
IndieAndStella  Offline
Glider Lover
I

New York
my girls get BML, and they love it. they even make the happy noises some nights. the smell isnt appetizing but i dont find it to be as bad as some people, i guess. i chose it because i could get all the ingredients when i go food shopping for myself, and its pretty easy to make. but, i switched my girls when i first got them from a pellet and fruit/veggie diet so i have no opinions on HPW....but i think if you do choose to switch, sooner is better than later, right? :0)

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218337
01/18/12 10:32 PM
01/18/12 10:32 PM
MI
GidgetsMom Offline
Glider Lover
GidgetsMom  Offline
Glider Lover

MI
No, I just went from the HPW Complete to the HPW Original. LOL I guess that probably doesn't help you much. blush

Jen

Mommy to girls Gidget, Gizmo and
our new additions Guinness & Genevieve

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218366
01/18/12 11:17 PM
01/18/12 11:17 PM
niagara falls,ny
I
ihana1894 Offline
Glider Guardian
ihana1894  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

niagara falls,ny
Sometimes I find that the BML will smell bad if you over cook an egg, but that's just about it. Baby food doesn't smell that bad. I am switching from BML to HPW because I find it cheaper and more convenient. However I have also fed the BML diet for 7 years to my gliders and after a year there fur started to stain, after eliminating every factor I have concluded that it was caused by there diet which was fed properly. I will soon post the before and after pictures of my gliders from switching diets, there fur is noticeably "greyer", shinier and silky to the touch.
This is only my personal experience with the two diets and is not a bash on BML, for I have never had any medical issues while feeding this diet, just fur staining.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: ihana1894] #1218376
01/18/12 11:27 PM
01/18/12 11:27 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
Originally Posted By: ihana1894
Sometimes I find that the BML will smell bad if you over cook an egg, but that's just about it. Baby food doesn't smell that bad. I am switching from BML to HPW because I find it cheaper and more convenient. However I have also fed the BML diet for 7 years to my gliders and after a year there fur started to stain, after eliminating every factor I have concluded that it was caused by there diet which was fed properly. I will soon post the before and after pictures of my gliders from switching diets, there fur is noticeably "greyer", shinier and silky to the touch.
This is only my personal experience with the two diets and is not a bash on BML, for I have never had any medical issues while feeding this diet, just fur staining.

Hmm, that is one thing I worried about. When you say that the HPW is cheaper, would you mind giving any specifics (ie how much a month's worth/week's worth or whatever each costs roughly)? Also, when you say their fur was stained, was it also cracking? Theirs hasn't improved yet, and they've been on HPW since October (they were previously on pellets at their old homes). I dunno. I feel like it's no problem when it's me, but when it's someone else (yes my babies are people smile ) it's so much harder.

Rachel
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218394
01/18/12 11:39 PM
01/18/12 11:39 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I've been feeding BML for over 4 years, my gliders are not stained at all. dunno

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218428
01/19/12 01:06 AM
01/19/12 01:06 AM
US
SugarGliderLove Offline
Glider Guardian
SugarGliderLove  Offline
Glider Guardian

US
ive been feeding BML for 7 years and ive never had staining issues at all.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218480
01/19/12 08:38 AM
01/19/12 08:38 AM
niagara falls,ny
I
ihana1894 Offline
Glider Guardian
ihana1894  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

niagara falls,ny
Maybe its just my gliders then, My male has over active scent glands so maybe this is what contributed to it. but since I have switched to HPW his fur has become cleaner also. There fur is like silk now with no cracking. I buy all my fruits and vegetables fresh for the mixture, I know you can buy them frozen so maybe if that's what you do than it is cheaper, but buying fruit all month get expensive.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218498
01/19/12 10:03 AM
01/19/12 10:03 AM
New York
I
IndieAndStella Offline
Glider Lover
IndieAndStella  Offline
Glider Lover
I

New York
my girls fur shows signs of cracking, and i THINK what is slight staining...but thats probably my fault because i like to let them lick BML off my fingers when theyre in their pouch or hanging ball pit/sack thingy. ive been cleaning out their little half-moons of chewed up food immediately now, and its gotten much better. the cracking improves when ive had the humidifier on...so...maybe not related to BML at all, and not a helpful comment, lol. sorry.

i think staining can also be the result of dirty pouches...how often do you change them in their cage?

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218514
01/19/12 10:26 AM
01/19/12 10:26 AM
niagara falls,ny
I
ihana1894 Offline
Glider Guardian
ihana1894  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

niagara falls,ny
Every three days I change there pouch and it is still clean when i change it. I have ruled out every other possibility over the year now and the diet is the last thing left. It is definitely the BML diet that has stained there fur because I have had no improvements until switched there diet

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218545
01/19/12 11:41 AM
01/19/12 11:41 AM
Sykesville, MD
GliderMeCrazy Offline
Glider Lover
GliderMeCrazy  Offline
Glider Lover

Sykesville, MD
I have used BML for many years. I've been a glider mom for over 15 years and I'd say more than half of that I've used the BML diet. The times I didn't use BML was when I didn't know about the diet (Pre glider central) or for the past year to two years. I used the HPW original for awhile but I didn't like that I had to order things online and pay for shipping and it ended up costing a good bit of money. Then HPW Complete came out and I loved it. I have been doing a lot of thinking and I never had a single issue with BML over the years and I went back to that. I still have the HPW Complete but that's going to be for emergencies or for if I travel.

In all honesty the price for the complete and the bml is pretty even. The BML is more messy, if you don't use a kitchen it will make your bars a little harder to clean but nothing major.

Both diets are great. BML has been a solid diet for gliders for a long time HPW Plus and Complete has not been used as long but so far seems to be a wonderful diet for glider owners.

Also, please keep in mind that fur staining isn't always from diet. When you have intact males in the cage you can't be sure if the staining is from diet or from the male marking. My boy is a heavy marker and his wife is a lue.. who at times seems to be a little more yellow than white. I change my fleece once and week and wash the cage down twice a week. If you are changing your fleece too often or cleaning your cage too often you male might over mark because of that.

Cracked fur could also be because of the humidity levels or lack there of in the winter time.

If there is a concern with over staining and cracked fur and you are not sure if it's diet related.. take your gliders to a vet.

Erin

Bentley, Taybee, Loki & Jinx!

:rbridge: Jenna & Suge. We had a wonderful 13 years together! I miss you always and will never forget you.
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218574
01/19/12 01:16 PM
01/19/12 01:16 PM
niagara falls,ny
I
ihana1894 Offline
Glider Guardian
ihana1894  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

niagara falls,ny
he has been to the vet and the vet told me it was over active glands. he said there was no harm in it, my boy just has a little to much testotorone. he reccomended the diet change the last time i went since we ruled eveything else out. and so far it has helped. BML is very messy and its a great diet but it caused extra staining. thats all im saying.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: ihana1894] #1218720
01/19/12 07:41 PM
01/19/12 07:41 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
he has been to the vet and the vet told me it was over active glands. he said there was no harm in it, my boy just has a little to much testotorone. he reccomended the diet change the last time i went since we ruled eveything else out. and so far it has helped. BML is very messy and its a great diet but it caused extra staining. thats all im saying.

That's what my vet told me as well (about the cracked fur). Could being an intact male contribute to that? He's only been neutered for three weeks, so if the testosterone was contributing, maybe it will go away in a little while. As far as cleaning, I only clean pouches 1x a week and they don't smell.

All these opinions have been great and helpful! If I do decide to switch, how would I do that? Thanks.

Rachel
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218725
01/19/12 08:46 PM
01/19/12 08:46 PM
Artie, WV
Angellica Offline
Glider Lover
Angellica  Offline
Glider Lover

Artie, WV
When I had meeko I fed him the BML diet and he loved it the only thing with it is making it but it's not that hard.. I got my girls on the HPW complete it's easier than the BML to make but cost more... It really depends on your gliders which would be better you may want to give them a little of both diets in different bowls one night because you have to do it like that anyways to switch it and see which one they like more.

Angellica :DD
9 wonderful suggies
Meeka,Ivory :wfb: Dazzle, Dervish :bb: Larten,Athena :wfb: Domino :leu: Hodge, Lyla :bb:
Min Pin: Rebel
Cat: Blazer
Pig: Charlotte Webb. <3
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1218750
01/19/12 09:43 PM
01/19/12 09:43 PM

Z
ZoeandZola
Unregistered
ZoeandZola
Unregistered
Z

I feed the BML to my girls. It is not hard to mix at all just put it all in the blender and freeze. They eat in a glider kitchen so I dont worry about the mess. Veggies and fruits are easy because you know exactly what to feed. I believe you will be able to switch right over to the BML mix but I will do some research and see what others say about changing diets and how. Keep in mind that if they dont eat it right away it doesn't mean they dont like it. Its just new and they will need some time.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1219254
01/20/12 07:35 PM
01/20/12 07:35 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
In my experience, it's always best to transition them onto the new food but I guess what I'm wondering is do I do it the same way I would with my dog or hedgies (25% new week one, 50% week two, etc) or if there's a different way for gliders.

Rachel
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1219277
01/20/12 08:10 PM
01/20/12 08:10 PM
niagara falls,ny
I
ihana1894 Offline
Glider Guardian
ihana1894  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

niagara falls,ny
You can just switch it in one night. I was told that it was alright to do this because they adjust very well. This is what I did when I switched from BML to HPW and I had no problems.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: ihana1894] #1219664
01/21/12 07:52 PM
01/21/12 07:52 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
You can just switch it in one night. I was told that it was alright to do this because they adjust very well. This is what I did when I switched from BML to HPW and I had no problems.

Thanks. Any other opinions?

Rachel
Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1219690
01/21/12 09:42 PM
01/21/12 09:42 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Yep - I agree with this one. I think most find that switching them without a transition is no trouble at all. I've done so with mine without issue.

Re: Thinking about switching from HPW Complete to BML [Re: baileyr2] #1220368
01/23/12 07:39 PM
01/23/12 07:39 PM
Harker Heights, TX
baileyr2 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
baileyr2  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Harker Heights, TX
Thanks guys. I've got lots to think about smile

Rachel

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024