Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219301
01/20/12 09:12 PM
01/20/12 09:12 PM
TN
JazzNZoeysMom Offline
Glider Lover
JazzNZoeysMom  Offline
Glider Lover

TN
I think when we really give it thought we can better choose the appropriate word, but when we're just answering a question real quick we just throw out the commonly used words found on the forums. I think "commonly used diet" would work well.

Last edited by JazzNZoeysMom; 01/20/12 09:13 PM.

LuvMyGliderBabies

Jasper :grey: Zoey :grey: Mala :grey: Kodah :grey:
Ariana :grey: And the twins~ Aerwen :wfb: Caci
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219314
01/20/12 09:45 PM
01/20/12 09:45 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: tjlong
I'm trying to understand why so many people call just a certain few diets "approved"???

IMO, it's because these few diets are what we see and know are used. I personally have gone off of others experiences and recommendations.

ETA: I can't recommend anything I don't know anything about.

Last edited by GliderNursery; 01/20/12 09:45 PM.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219325
01/20/12 09:54 PM
01/20/12 09:54 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Okay Shelly, if that's the case then why aren't some diets, like the Original Leadbeater's with an added Insectivore component which I KNOW has been explained here before ever been used much? It happens to be one that is suggested by vets and happens to be listed in the Quesenberry vet Reference.

I just feel sometimes that the diets we hear of a lot are used because certain people are popular or because certain people are supposed to be authorities. I also think that some diets that are widely supported on other sites aren't discussed here much because certain people follow cliques. Now, don't get me wrong! I'm not bashing in any way!

It's just my personal observation that the diets with info that are called 'approved' for the most part on each board are not at all what vets suggest. In fact, those diets are very infrequently discussed and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

I think it's curious, don't you? At this point I am wondering if there will ever be a meeting of the minds so to speak? Will owners and their diets, vets and large facilities who keep animals and the new Entrepreneurs who are actively working to create better diets come together?

I guess that's like asking if we can have world peace? Right?

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219329
01/20/12 10:09 PM
01/20/12 10:09 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Tracy, you're going to make me show my ignorance. LOL I have no idea what this "Quesenberry vet Reference" is, it's not a manual I have ever heard of or read, and therefore would not know what diets are suggested there.

My understanding of the Original Leadbeaters diet is that is contains products that we cannot purchase here in the United States - which is why we have the Modified Leadbeaters diet (BML). I could be totally wrong about that, but it's what I've heard many times.

I don't see it as a clique, I see it more of "advertising" so to speak. I don't hear much of anything about the LGRS Soup diet, it's on SGH, but the members here don't discuss it or talk about their experience using it. Now, as I understand it, if I go to GG, it's talked about all the time.

Being talked about on these boards is the advertising I'm speaking of. Here on GC, I see more BML and HPW usage, experience, questions, and answers than any other diet.

And quite honestly, I'm not comfortable trying a new diet on my gliders. If I'm not willing to try it, I sure am not going to recommend it. At least I can say that gliders have lived long lives on these two diets.

I guess if I frequented the other boards more, I'd have more exposure to the others. But as it stands, I don't.

Originally Posted By: tjlong
At this point I am wondering if there will ever be a meeting of the minds so to speak? Will owners and their diets, vets and large facilities who keep animals and the new Entrepreneurs who are actively working to create better diets come together?

I don't know if they ever will or not. I doubt it. With some - it could be about personal recognition, others could be money, some just a disagreement of using one ingredient over another, and yet there are others that won't care as long as its a nutritious diet. (BTW, this is just a general comment, NOT saying this is true about any of the current diet creators.) There are many reasons why they won't see eye to eye.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219343
01/20/12 10:36 PM
01/20/12 10:36 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Shelly, the vet reference manual is one a lot of vets keep on their shelves. It is widely used and I believe a new revised edition just came out this past year. It is a compilation of info by vets for vets. I only know because I talked to a vet who contributes! It isn't something you or I as a layman would really run across unless we know what we are looking for.

The Original Leadbeater's was revised by several people including Bourbon. Yes, some components aren't readily available but there is a recipe that has been listed here before that, when combine with an insectivore component is accepted by vets. I know it is one diet referenced in Quesenberry as well as Zookeeper's diet, I can't remember the others tonight. I will find the info and post tomorrow.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219347
01/20/12 10:50 PM
01/20/12 10:50 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Some solid research and meeting of the minds on diet issues would be ideal. It may actually be going on, just not on these forums. The first step for this meeting of the minds would be the establishment of the amounts of various nutritional components gliders need each day. That would be the first criteria for evaluation of any glider diet.

Unfortunately - as much as we all try determine which diet is best, discussions on the forums is not a productive way to establish anything. If face to face meetings could be held, notes taken to avoid going over the same points over and over again in circular fashion (aka forum format) and conclude with goals set, methods outlined and an organized study protocol written then we might move forward.

As it is now we are a group of individuals scattered across the US - with a few international folks thrown in. Forums are not the best way to hold a real discussion or to come to any real conclusions.

As for the term "approved", I think it has just evolved as we share suggestions for feeding our gliders. It is much like the "telephone" game we played as kids. I tell you BML is a good diet and my message gets passed along and by the time it reaches the 50th person the message has become BML is the approved diet.

That is the nature of such communication among large groups with everyone speaking at the same time.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219349
01/20/12 10:56 PM
01/20/12 10:56 PM

J
janet27233
Unregistered
janet27233
Unregistered
J

In two weeks my sugar babies arrive, the breeder is using HPW Plus, which is what I intend to do, but a friend of mine who has a sugar baby, Swears the Leadbetter diet is better. Which is more correct. Also they will be just 8 weeks oop so I will do what the current breeder is using, but it seems to me the ledbetter is easier to find. then HPW. Should I consider switching?

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219352
01/20/12 11:04 PM
01/20/12 11:04 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Janet - the choice of diet is up to each glider owner. I am not sure BML is better or worse than any of the HPW diets. I am not sure one HPW diet is "better" than another. They all appear to provide the nutrients gliders need. We have no established criteria to really say which is best. If you have read this thread you can see, there is no "approval" process for the glider diets we use. We just hope we have made the right choices and that our gliders will thrive.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219355
01/20/12 11:17 PM
01/20/12 11:17 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Please keep this thread on topic. You may want to start your own post regarding which diet you are planning on feeding.

Quote:
3. Please keep posts closely related to the topic. If the topic sparks another thought for discussion, please open a new thread. Post messages in the most appropriate forum. Please refrain from posting the same message in more than one forum. Only one of those messages will remain posted. Do not be offended if moderators move your thread to a forum that fits your topic. In a large forum like ours, this kind of housekeeping is necessary. It is not personal. Please do not use excessive CAPS or bold lettering. It makes your message very hard to read and implies you are shouting.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1221122
01/25/12 04:03 PM
01/25/12 04:03 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, 3e [Paperback]
Katherine Quesenberry DVM MPH Diplomate ABVP (Author), James W. Carpenter MS DVM Dipl ACZM (Author)
This third edition was published in November 2011.

Shelly, this is the 'Quesenberry reference manual'.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1221168
01/25/12 06:51 PM
01/25/12 06:51 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Which Glider diets does the Quesenberry reference manual list in the current edition?

Are any of the diets we frequently recommend (BML, Priscilla's, HPW) included?

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: CandyOtte] #1221172
01/25/12 07:28 PM
01/25/12 07:28 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: CandyOtte
Which Glider diets does the Quesenberry reference manual list in the current edition?

Are any of the diets we frequently recommend (BML, Priscilla's, HPW) included?

No those aren't included to my knowledge. I believe original Leadbeater's with Insectivore Component is there, Taronga Zoo diet is included. I don't know the others for sure.

I don't have a copy of the manual. I had waited to order until the new edition was available. It's out now so I'm going to get it.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 324 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024