Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Paying Attention to the Small Signs #1232174
02/24/12 06:46 PM
02/24/12 06:46 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline OP
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Yesterday we had an appointment with the vet for a wellness check for our two older gliders. It was about time for one, but was hastened by the fact that Virga had been grooming her pouch more than usual. She has had brown "stuff" around her pouch and we had taken her in for this before. The vet indicated it was a glandular secretion related to hormonal activity, and lab results indicated there as no infection or other problem. During her checkup yesterday we told the vet about Virga's attention to her pouch, so the vet took a swab of the inside of the pouch. To our and the vet's surprise, there was bright red blood on the swab. She (our vet) was concerned about it, but indicated that the blood was likely the result of the swabbing but also said there was some irritation. As she continued the examination, she found two masses near the middle and side of the pouch. She indicted they seemed to be mammary in origin and wanted to examine Virga's pouch and the masses more closely. This required general anesthesia and about an hour to complete, including lab analysis.

She found that Virga's pouch was irritated and inflamed, and she could see one mass through the pouch. The other wasn't easy to see. Our vet suspects the inflammation and masses may be due to mastitis. So, Virga is on an antibiotic (Trimethoprim-sulfa) and an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) for 14 days, and then she goes in to be checked. If the medication doesn't help, then the next step will be to do a biopsy and go from there.

Virga's appetite has been good, her weight has been stable, and she has been her normal active self (she spends a lot of time on the wheel). She doesn't seem to be in any pain. In retrospect, the only other sign that something might be off, other than the grooming, is that Virga has not been her normal enthusiastic self when it comes to coming out for her morning yogurt or afternoon snack. Our vet said other than the pouch issue, she is in very good shape for a 9-year old glider.

The point of all this is that when in doubt, check it out. Virga had no other signs that something might be wrong in terms of activity, appetite, or weight change. MrsBerg, who takes care of snack times for our four, noticed a subtle change in Virga's behavior that on the surface didn't seem that significant. We're glad that nudged us to make the appointment with the vet and are keeping everything crossed that that meds Virga is on do the trick.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs [Re: Berg] #1232179
02/24/12 06:55 PM
02/24/12 06:55 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I hope that the meds work for her! Kudos to MrsBerg for noticing the small stuff! clap

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs [Re: Berg] #1232204
02/24/12 07:56 PM
02/24/12 07:56 PM
Kentucky
nancy1202 Offline
Glider Addict
nancy1202  Offline
Glider Addict

Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Berg
So, Virga is on an antibiotic (Trimethoprim-sulfa) and an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) for 14 days, and then she goes in to be checked.
Please double-check with your vet about the 14 day regimen for Metacam. Typically it isn't given for more than 3 days because it can be hard on organs. I don't mean to second-guess your vet, but just to be safe, I would confirm that. It is also a pain medication, and sometimes Torb is used for longer periods. I don't know of a common long-term NSAID for gliders off the top of my head.

I am so glad you and Mrs. Berg noticed the signs! Yep, we need to be vigilant since sometimes the small signs are the only ones we get.

~Nancy~
http://www.derbycitygliders.com

:grey: Jackson/Izzie, Lukas/Leilah, Mizuki/Elektra, Oliver/Ava, Ramon/Paloma, Charming/Snow
Rest of the menagerie: dogs, cats, corn snake, bearded dragon
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs [Re: Berg] #1232262
02/24/12 11:32 PM
02/24/12 11:32 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I have to agree with Nancy on the Metacam - and that Torb is typically used for longer periods of time.

Aside from that - kudos to both of you, this is what we try to stress SO much for other glider owners. Know your gliders, know their behaviors and routines. Because of your attentiveness, your glider is being taken care of. Doesn't get any better than that.

Please keep us updated on your little girl. hug2

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update [Re: DCMuffin] #1236987
03/08/12 06:03 PM
03/08/12 06:03 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline OP
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Virga had her follow-up visit with our vet today. The good news was that the pouch opening was smaller, but on closer examination the lining was still red and inflamed. And, the two masses were still there. This after two weeks on meds to treat possible mastitis

Rather than going to a biopsy, our vet decided it would be best to do a fine needle aspiration of the masses for a cytology. Prior to Virga going in for the procedure, the vet consulted with a vet surgeon about Virga's case and checked related pathology reports. The surgeon said that if and when there was a biopsy it would be prudent just to remove the masses rather than subject Virga to two surgeries. Prior to putting Virga under our vet called me and said she would like to do a full body x-ray and draw some blood since Virga would already be under. This would save another step if further treatment is needed.

The procedure was supposed to take an hour, but at 2 hours I still hadn't heard anything and was getting worried. I checked at the desk and they told me they had just finished. Turns out the vet had a "hamster emergency" and they got a late start on Virga.

Our vet brought Virga out and sat down with me to explain what she knew at this point. We will have to wait for the x-ray to be read by the radiologist and for the cytology and blood work to be completed before we know anything for sure. She said she did take a look at the x-ray and she didn't see signs of anything spreading, so that was good to hear. On the other hand, the mass on the left side that was not visible through the pouch two weeks ago is now. frown

Our vet said that mammary adenocarcinoma has been reported as the most common mammary cancer in sugar gliders, representing about 4 percent of all cancers in sugar gliders. We should learn the results of the diagnostic testing tomorrow, are keeping our fingers crossed that they are benign.

Interestingly, Virga has shown no signs of illness. She is quite active and spends tons of time on the wheel while the rest are napping in my shirt.

So now we wait. I'll post an update when we hear more.

-Steve-

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update [Re: Berg] #1236990
03/08/12 06:25 PM
03/08/12 06:25 PM
Brooksville, Florida
SugarBattyPatty Offline
Glider Guardian
SugarBattyPatty  Offline
Glider Guardian

Brooksville, Florida
Berg, I hope virga wil be OK. I don't know anything about cancer with gliders and Hope I never have to experience it, but I hope this is not the case with you Virga.

SugarBattyPatty
AKA Pat
Mommy to: Sparky :wfb: and Precious :wfb:
Gizmo :wfb:

There is no sin in being ignorant, there is in remaining ignorant.
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update [Re: Berg] #1237034
03/08/12 08:32 PM
03/08/12 08:32 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Steve - I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this with your little one. Please give her a little kiss from me. I'll be thinking of you.

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update [Re: Berg] #1237042
03/08/12 08:39 PM
03/08/12 08:39 PM
Georgia
MissLady Offline
Out of Pouch
MissLady  Offline
Out of Pouch

Georgia
Oh my goodness! You are such a good glider daddy to be taking care of her so well smile I'll be thinking of her and can't wait for an update, I hope everything will be alright!

:bb: Miss Lady, :bb: Rio, :grey: Pan, :grey: Oliver
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs -Update 2 [Re: Berg] #1237621
03/09/12 10:50 PM
03/09/12 10:50 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline OP
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Our vet called with the result of the diagnostics, and the news was not what we hoped. The cytology showed abnormal cells. She said if we decide to have surgery, she recommended it be done as soon as possible. When Mari (MrsBerg) called me with the news, we both knew our decision without either of us actually saying it. We'll be calling to schedule Virga for surgery at the University of Illinois VetMed hospital first thing on Monday. Our vet said that the surgeon was ready and waiting, and has had experience with surgery on gliders. Besides experience, he also likes working with gliders (in contrast, I guess, to some who don't like dealing with small exotic pets). Our vet has been doing some background research and is going to be contacting another vet who has experience with this type of carcinoma for more information.

There was some good news in all of this. The x-ray confirmed that the suspected cancer has not spread. Virga's blood workup showed her liver was in great shape (this would be the next organ likely to be affected), and that overall she was in great systemic health. She feels that Virga should come through this fine and live out a normal healthy life.

-Steve-

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs -Update 2 [Re: Berg] #1238493
03/13/12 01:11 AM
03/13/12 01:11 AM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
I'll keep your Virga in my prayers!
Please keep us updated after the surgery~ I'm curious about the surgery.

What an awesome job y'all did by knowing your gliders. I know most people think I'm nuts when I tell them random things that are normal for my gliders~ but noticing those things makes a huge difference!
In fact~ knowing the little things helped us save my husbands dog about 1 1/2 yrs ago. He's an older dog~ but after his surgery he has been healthier than ever!

You will be in my thoughts! There really is something to be said for catching this sort of thing before its spread!

hug2

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs -Update 2 [Re: Berg] #1238751
03/13/12 07:24 PM
03/13/12 07:24 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Again, I'm so glad that you guys paid close enough attention to your glider that you noticed this. It's this type of love and care (and a great surgeon) that will pull her through to her recovery! hug2

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1238789
03/13/12 08:51 PM
03/13/12 08:51 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline OP
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
More bad news today.

Mari (MrsBerg) observed Virga's sister, Cirrus, aggressively grooming her pouch yesterday morning during the gliders' morning yogurt time. When she checked Cirrus' pouch she found it raw and irritated around the outside of the pouch from the grooming. Off to the vet we went today. Our vet immediately noticed that her pouch was worse than two weeks ago and wanted a better look. So, off went Cirrus to go under general anesthesia so they could get a closer examination. When our vet came back into the room with a camera we knew the news couldn't be good. The photo showed Cirrus had a growth about the size of a pea on one of her mammary glands. She wanted to do a needle aspiration for a cytology and of course we said go ahead. Well, Mari just got off the phone with our vet. While Cirrus' mass is much smaller than Virga's two, it is definitely cancer (while Virga's may be pre-cancerous). She (the vet) called Dr. Tristan to consult with him, and he said he had never encountered a glider with breast cancer, let alone two. Our vet will be calling other vets she knows with glider experience to see what light they might shed on all of this, but it looks like we could be forging new territory.

Virga is scheduled for surgery Thursday afternoon, and it's very possible her sister may be joining her in the surgical suite.

Our heads are still spinning over the latest news. Our two ladies just turned 9 years old this month (we've had them two years) and they are pretty special to us. Not much of a birthday for them, but hopefully Thursday's outcome will mean more birthdays to come.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes and prayers.

-Steve-

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1238906
03/14/12 08:30 AM
03/14/12 08:30 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
hug2 hug2 hug2

Alyssa

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1238921
03/14/12 09:03 AM
03/14/12 09:03 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I'm sorry to hear that. hug2

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1239517
03/15/12 04:58 PM
03/15/12 04:58 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
So, our vet just called re our Ladies surgery. They were awake and alert, and trying to groom their wound, so, first she attempted to put them in the e-jacket, but, Ms. Virga squirmed her way out of it, so they are both in an e-collar, and she gave the a valium type drug to help with their anxiety over the e-collar and pain. The surgeon took Ms. Virga first, and once he removed the masses from her pouch, they made the decision to simply remove the pouch, thus removing all mammary tissue, in the hopes that a reoccurrence is eliminated. I am not quite as up to par on glider physiology, but, they way she explained it is that removing the pouch is not as invasive as spaying would have been, it is just an overlap of skin, so the wound is more like a cut. The risk of infection is minimized this way and healing should be quicker. They will stay the night in intensive care and come home in the morning. Thanks to everyone for the prayers and good wishes. Hopefully, our ladies will help further knowledge of breast cancer in sugar gliders!

Last edited by MrsBerg; 03/15/12 05:00 PM. Reason: grammer

:grey: Foehn :grey: CB

:grey: Rossby :grey: Sprite

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

gliderchronicles.blogspot.com
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1239613
03/15/12 09:00 PM
03/15/12 09:00 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I'm encouraged to hear that the surgeries went pretty well. hug2 I'm also not the least surprised that Ms. Virga wiggled her way out of the e-jacket....it DOES take a little practice to get it down snug enough. And it seems that the smaller the glider is, the harder it is to make it work the first try.

Do keep us posted on how things go....

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1239625
03/15/12 09:15 PM
03/15/12 09:15 PM
Southern Illinois
R
rach Offline
Glider Lover
rach  Offline
Glider Lover
R

Southern Illinois
Keep us updated on these lovely ladies I hope that they make it thru and we find out more about gliders and cancer.

Raychell Stayton
My gangel :wfb: Daria :grey: Maddox :rtmo: Nadia :grey: Sampson
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1239674
03/15/12 11:04 PM
03/15/12 11:04 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
If our ladies behave themselves, they will be home tomorrow late morning. We are anxious to see them, we have sort of convinced ourselves that their wound has to be better than some of the mating wounds we have seen here! Luckily, we have had our grandson here while he is recuperating from his tonsillectomy, so, we have gotten used to tag teaming any sleep we have gotten in the last 2 weeks! LOL Minkasmom, yes, Steven practiced last night and it took three tries, the 3rd try he was so proud of himself, till he gave her to me and I realized she was being so docile because he had her little arms kind of trapped in the jacket and she couldn't move, she looked like a turtle sitting on a rock with no way to get off.! BTW, the vet, 4th yr student, and I were impressed with the leopard skin fashion statement!when we get them home, we will post pictures, and, Steven plans on trying to get the jackets on so that they will be more comfortable. My arthritis makes it impossible for me to maneuver to get them on. Thank you so much for getting them to us so fast. Oh, and I had thought Ms. Virga was missing one of her lumps, but, the vet said it had just moved to combine with the other. We were all amazed at how quickly these tumors were growing, which is the reason for rushing into this surgery.

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1239714
03/16/12 12:47 AM
03/16/12 12:47 AM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
Wow! I'm glad the surgeries went well! I can't believe how quickly the tumors were growing, its awesome that y'all were so quick about this!

Your babies are in my thoughts and prayers hug2

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 3 [Re: Berg] #1239942
03/16/12 06:32 PM
03/16/12 06:32 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Thank you for the :rofl2: about the turtle comment. It's been a ROUGH day and I needed that so badly!

I wish there was some other configuration that I could come up with that would be as effective and easier on us glider slaves to slip on. If we could make them like the old halter tops...that'd be the IDEAL situation. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 5 [Re: Berg] #1240026
03/16/12 11:59 PM
03/16/12 11:59 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline OP
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Well, the ladies are home and seem to be resting comfortably. They were in the ICU last night and from the sounds of it won a lot of the staff's hearts. I picked them up a little after 11am this morning. Their incision sites are a bit swollen, but that's normal. They are in e-collars fashioned out of old x-ray film - sort of the McGyver version. We had one of the snap e-collars we sent with them as well as another e-collar. It fit Virga just fine, but they said Cirrus had it off in two seconds. They are tolerating the collars as well as can be expected. I will probably try to get them in the e-jackets tomorrow and they should be happier. We tried hand feeding them tonight, and they weren't too interested in food. However, when we offered them mealworms, then we had two very interested gliders. smile

Mari (MrsBerg) described the surgery in her post yesterday, but basically they removed the mammary glands along with the tumors, and then performed a "pouch ablation" to minimize the potential for residual mammary tissue being left behind and for abnormal cell growth to reoccur. The removed tissue was sent for histopathology and will take seven to ten days to get the results. That will be about the time we go back for their follow-up appointment.

It's been a crazy ten days. We're keeping our fingers crossed that in another ten days things will be back to normal and the four gliders will be back together again.

-Steve-

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 5 [Re: Berg] #1240074
03/17/12 08:34 AM
03/17/12 08:34 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Well, things certainly sound positive, Steve. Great news that the girls seem to be resting comfortably. They've been in my thoughts here and I'm wishing them all the best!

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 5 [Re: Berg] #1240084
03/17/12 09:16 AM
03/17/12 09:16 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Glad they are home for you two to love on some more! Hope all continues to go well with them.

Thank you so much for sharing this difficult situation with all of us. hug2

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 6 [Re: rach] #1242017
03/22/12 07:43 PM
03/22/12 07:43 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline OP
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
It's been one week since Virga and Cirrus had their surgery to remove their tumors. They are doing very well and are looking forward to getting rid of their e-collars! smile The incisions are healing well. They have been active at night and are getting tired of their hospital cage. When we walk into the room they come to the front of the cage and want to be taken out. Last night we brought them into my office (where we let our gliders play) and they were able to run around a little and explore. We are restricting their jumping and access to the wheel until after their follow-up appointment on Monday, but they did enjoy their free time! Tonight is their last dose of medication and they will be happy about that.

We did get an email from our vet today with the results of the histopathology. Both gliders had adenocarcinomas of the affected mammary tissue. She indicated that Cirrus' might have been more aggressive and may have some lymphatic involvement. So, our saga may not be quite over yet. worried We'll find out more on Monday.

-Steve-

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 6 [Re: Berg] #1242022
03/22/12 08:22 PM
03/22/12 08:22 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Glad to hear they are doing well. Hope the news you get on Monday is good news, hopefully the saga is over.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 6 [Re: Berg] #1242212
03/23/12 12:44 PM
03/23/12 12:44 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
Well, we almost learned a difficult lesson last night! Ms. Virga was running with such pure reckless abandon, you could almost hear her screaming, "I'm free". Ms. Cirrus was a bit more laid back, and we were trying to get her a little more interested in moving around, and laughing at Ms. Virga's obvious pleasure. She was like the pig that's saying, "Weeee" in those commercials. Then, she started climbing the "tree" and jumping onto Berg's back. He didn't think it was such a bad distance, but, I have been a bit paranoid and was concerned. After a few more jumps, and lots more running, we caught her "grooming" her incision. When I picked her up, she had gotten the last remaining glue off, but, in so doing, opened the incision a bit and was bleeding just a little. Obviously, the e-collars the vet had made were a bit too flexible and a bit too short, but, it wasn't until we let her have her freedom that she went after anything. So, off to the kitchen I went to remake new e-collars. Found that large yoplait yogurt container lids with the rims cut off, make excellent e-collars. As an added "guard", we put 3M Nexcare tape all around the "rim", so that if they should try to get at their incision, or each other, it was cushioned. They were/are very unhappy with us! We then discovered that they could still groom each other, which they could do before, but never did in excess, so, we decided, rather than aggravate them more by removing their e-collars and making shot glass ones (besides, I had used up all the mole skin), we would separate them at night. Cirrus was obviously upset with us. She refused to eat, tho she did eat some of her apple sauce while we slept, and just glared sadly at us. Ms. Virga found that she could scoop her dinner into her collar and eat from it. We have been weighing their food every night so that we could see how much they were eating. Ms. Virga is doing fine, but, it is hard to get Ms. Cirrus to eat, even though it is the glider crack we have been feeding. A call to the vet and we were told to keep them on the sedative/pain relief meds and no more freedom! But, as long as the incision was not oozing, it was best we just leave it until their appointment on Monday. We are learning so many lessons with this whole affair. We found e-collars easier than we thought to put on, just as difficult to watch them fight to get off, and the ladies just don't want to give up! We also learned last night that limited movement, as advised by the vet, is NOT letting them feel "free"...

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs - Update 6 [Re: Berg] #1242222
03/23/12 01:03 PM
03/23/12 01:03 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Ah yes, the fun of having gliders needing to stay away from something! upset They find a way...ANY way...to get those e-collars off. I heard this morning from a creative little sprite in Anderson (IN) who figured out she could move her e-collar around to where her back feet could reach the tape tab at the top & pop it loose! shock Her mommy heard her doing a "wheeeee" freedom frenzy like you described, but didn't think much of it.....until this morning when she discovered that HER wound site was completely clean of ANY scabs (I would've swooned/fainted if it had been MY little girl that did that...we're not 100% convinced that she's not going to move into the category of being an SMer or not). She didn't do ANY damage to herself, just had an OCD cleaning-fest :rofl2: Sheesh! Don't our skin-kids give us enough gray hairs without our fuzz-kids adding to it??? REALLY???

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs [Re: GliderNursery] #1243129
03/26/12 09:00 PM
03/26/12 09:00 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline OP
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Today was the follow-up appointment with our vet for Virga and Cirrus. The incisions are healing well and the ladies were freed of their e-collars before we left. :yes: They both have lost weight the last ten days, about 8 grams each. Now that they will be able to eat more easily we expect their weight to recover. Cirrus immediately started 30 minutes of cleaning every part of her body she could not reach while wearing the collar. smile

We met the two surgeons who did the surgery on Virga and Cirrus, and our vet discussed the histopathology with us. As I related in the last update, there was some not so good news. Cirrus' cancer was more aggressive and there was evidence it had spread into the lymphatic system. As far as that is concerned all we can do at this point is wait and see. Both gliders have another follow-up appointment in a month.

Our vet asked if we would mind if they published a case study of the ladies' diagnosis and treatment, and of course we immediately agreed. This would be published in one of the veterinary journals. Hopefully what Virga and Cirrus have gone through will benefit other gliders in the future.

We have one last hurdle to jump before life is back to normal around here. Even though they have been separated only 10 days, it looks like we will have to go through re-introducing Virga and Cirrus to CB and Foehn. Last night we brought Cirrus and Virga into the playroom in their small cage while Foehn and CB were running around. Foehn climbed up on the cage with Virga on the other side, and there was much crabbing and consternation. My hope is now that Virga and Cirrus are free of the collars and will be back in a normal routine this will go quickly.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes and prayers as we went though this.

-Steve-

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs [Re: Berg] #1243136
03/26/12 09:11 PM
03/26/12 09:11 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

This is mostly great news, Steve - I'm so glad to hear the girls are free and able to get back to being gliders. smile I expect that the introductions will go smoothly. The crabbing is very normal, as I'm sure you know, they have lots of odd smells on them from the last week and a half but I expect that they'll be happily chirping soon.

Thank you so much for all your updates. My thoughts are with you all every day. hug2

Re: Paying Attention to the Small Signs [Re: Berg] #1243137
03/26/12 09:12 PM
03/26/12 09:12 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I hope the next vet visit is a good one! Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

That is great that the vets are going to write up a case study. It's always unfortunate that someone's gliders have to go through something so terrible, but knowing it will help many out in the future is something to make you smile.

You have some pretty special girls there! Give em' an extra treat tonight. smile

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (KarenE), 341 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,571 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,159 UTAH
321,680 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024