Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider #1075234
02/21/11 06:27 PM
02/21/11 06:27 PM

C
cloud
Unregistered
cloud
Unregistered
C

Against:
Rocks shouldn't be used because they will bake your sugar glider.

For:
Sugar Gliders arn't reptiles and can move away from the rock if they get too hot as long as they have room to get away when they are too warm.

Which one is it? Both sides are found online. I seem to trust the against side more since mill breeders like (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets support heating rocks.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075244
02/21/11 06:44 PM
02/21/11 06:44 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Sugar gliders of a proper age to be away from their parents can regulate their own body temperature. They need a nice snuggly place to sleep, but they do not need an additional heat source.

Plug-in heat rocks are known to heat dangerously high even for the reptiles they are designed for.

I have seen many posts here and on other forums where a glider dies, comes near death, or loses its ears from being on a heat rock.

I do not think they are a safe product at all.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075257
02/21/11 06:58 PM
02/21/11 06:58 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Reptiles can move away from heat rocks too. Just because they are cold-blooded doesn't mean they can't feel hot and cold. Heat rocks are a danger to any animal because they over heat. In the reptile community, we do NOT advocate heat rocks for many types of reptiles either - only for certain types of desert lizards. Look at it this way - you can scald a baby in the bathtub if the water is too warm. The baby can feel the warmth, but because a baby's skin is more sensitive than an adult's, they can burn in water that feels normal to us. A heat rock may only feel warm and not hot to us, but it can still burn a snake's belly or a glider too.

Plus, no matter what you do or how you place the rock in the cage, it has to be plugged in. Any power cord going into a glider's cage is a danger. Even if your glider isn't a chewer, there's always a first time. I would hate for a glider's first chew to be on a power cord....

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075327
02/21/11 09:07 PM
02/21/11 09:07 PM
Ohio
LiveInTheMoment Offline
Glider Slave
LiveInTheMoment  Offline
Glider Slave

Ohio
After working at pet stores for several years and now I'm in progress of my zoology degree, heat rocks are a horrible idea. Just because sugar gliders can regulate their temperature does NOT mean that they wont "bake" themselves. If they sit on it they will feel the warmth and if they are on it too long the surrounding area will feel too cold in comparison. This can in turn cause them to stay on the rock and burn their bellies. The only time I would recommend a heat rock would be it has a thermometer, even then I wouldn't recommend one. Not only can they burn themselves, the cord is dangerous. Hence the reason you are supposed to "glider proof" things in the home. One of the things you are supposed to make sure they can't get to are cords. So putting a cord in their cage is just stupid.

Last edited by ProudParent; 02/22/11 03:29 PM.

Erika (AKA ProudParent) & my kids:

Suggie :grey: Rocky :bb: Killara :plat: Willoughby :grey:

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075330
02/21/11 09:13 PM
02/21/11 09:13 PM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
Originally Posted By: Kali
Reptiles can move away from heat rocks too. Just because they are cold-blooded doesn't mean they can't feel hot and cold. Heat rocks are a danger to any animal because they over heat. In the reptile community, we do NOT advocate heat rocks for many types of reptiles either - only for certain types of desert lizards. Look at it this way - you can scald a baby in the bathtub if the water is too warm. The baby can feel the warmth, but because a baby's skin is more sensitive than an adult's, they can burn in water that feels normal to us. A heat rock may only feel warm and not hot to us, but it can still burn a snake's belly or a glider too.

Plus, no matter what you do or how you place the rock in the cage, it has to be plugged in. Any power cord going into a glider's cage is a danger. Even if your glider isn't a chewer, there's always a first time. I would hate for a glider's first chew to be on a power cord....

I had a snake and the guy we got him from said we just had to have a pad for the bottom of the tank (heating pad.) It was our first time owning and we went by what we were told. Slither (the snake lol) went under his hideaway and burrowed a little too far and was sitting directly on his pad. It burned his belly frown we were able to nurse him back to health but were told that if we hadn't noticed it soon enough he could've just baked to death. Based on that experience, yes animals can move away but they don't always know to move away. Personally I wouldn't want to take the chance of having a heating anything with sugar gliders. Not to mention if they have a cord the glider(s) can chew it up and injure themselves.

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: kjgoulet] #1075336
02/21/11 09:26 PM
02/21/11 09:26 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: kjgoulet
Originally Posted By: Kali

I had a snake and the guy we got him from said we just had to have a pad for the bottom of the tank (heating pad.) It was our first time owning and we went by what we were told. Slither (the snake lol) went under his hideaway and burrowed a little too far and was sitting directly on his pad. It burned his belly frown we were able to nurse him back to health but were told that if we hadn't noticed it soon enough he could've just baked to death. Based on that experience, yes animals can move away but they don't always know to move away. Personally I wouldn't want to take the chance of having a heating anything with sugar gliders. Not to mention if they have a cord the glider(s) can chew it up and injure themselves.

That's exactly what I'm saying. UTHs and other heat sources can burn badly. You should ALWAYS use a thermostat with ANY heating device to prevent overheating. And I would never use a heat rock or other localized heating device with gliders - too many risks involved.

Erika, I think you meant 'thermostat' and not 'thermometer'. A thermostat controls the temperature and a thermometer simply measures temperature. But, as you said, even then they're a bad idea.

Last edited by Kali; 02/21/11 09:31 PM.
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075339
02/21/11 09:30 PM
02/21/11 09:30 PM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
Indeed! I just wish I would've known before Slither was burned frown at least he's healthy now even if we don't have him anymore.

Sorry I'll admit I read your post a little fast lol! Didn't take in all the info right tounge

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075342
02/21/11 09:33 PM
02/21/11 09:33 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
not UL approved.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: kjgoulet] #1075392
02/21/11 11:22 PM
02/21/11 11:22 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: kjgoulet
Indeed! I just wish I would've known before Slither was burned frown at least he's healthy now even if we don't have him anymore.

Sorry I'll admit I read your post a little fast lol! Didn't take in all the info right tounge

Oh that's alright! I am glad Slither is ok. Burns are so common among reptiles. shakehead But they heal fast. A new layer of skin forms and shows each time they shed - you can see them heal. UTHs are known to overheat. There are a very few on the european market that don't rise above 95* but they are hard to find. Still not appropriate for gliders though! thumb

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075755
02/22/11 04:54 PM
02/22/11 04:54 PM

T
Tyger
Unregistered
Tyger
Unregistered
T

I am on the side against heat rocks. I own a snake and a bearded dragon beside my suggies and heat rocks are not even recommended for them. They can short out, spark, and then start a fire. And they can easily burn any animal...whether they have fur or scales. The danger is just not worth the risk. Too many animals have died. Besides, gliders old enough to be away from their parents don't need a heat source.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1075833
02/22/11 07:31 PM
02/22/11 07:31 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I haven't read all of the responses, but it isn't about baking, it's about burns - potential 2nd or 3rd degree burns. Reptiles can move away from a heat source too, that doesn't mean they always move fast enough. Heat rocks can very easily get hot spots on them (I know, I've burned myself just picking one up). I have also seen more 2nd and 3rd degree burns on reptiles than I would care to recall.

Heat rocks can absolutely cause burns on any animal. Sugar Gliders do not need the extra heat if they can regulate their own temperature - if they cannot regulate their temperature, there is something else really wrong with the situation (either they are too young to be alone, or they are really sick). There is just no reason to use a heat rock (with any animal, imo).

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: sugarlope] #1075842
02/22/11 07:36 PM
02/22/11 07:36 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: sugarlope
I haven't read all of the responses, but it isn't about baking, it's about burns - potential 2nd or 3rd degree burns. Reptiles can move away from a heat source too, that doesn't mean they always move fast enough. Heat rocks can very easily get hot spots on them (I know, I've burned myself just picking one up). I have also seen more 2nd and 3rd degree burns on reptiles than I would care to recall.

Heat rocks can absolutely cause burns on any animal. Sugar Gliders do not need the extra heat if they can regulate their own temperature - if they cannot regulate their temperature, there is something else really wrong with the situation (either they are too young to be alone, or they are really sick). There is just no reason to use a heat rock (with any animal, imo).

I know you haven't read all the responses, so I can understand where the confusion might lie, but I do want to make it clear that I (and I believe EVERYone else involved in this conversation) absolutely do NOT recommend the use of heat rocks for any animal including reptiles and gliders. I just wanted to clarify that as I think several folks might have thought we were saying they were ok for reptiles. NOT true. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, lol.... thumb

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1076068
02/23/11 03:13 AM
02/23/11 03:13 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
While I do understand the danger of heat rocks for sugar gliders and the fact that if a joey is old enough they are not needed. And should not be used for adult gliders at all. I want to play devil's advocate for a second.

what if you put the heat rock up against the bars of the cage so the cord isnt exposed to get chewed on?

what if you covered the cord in those plastic covers made to keep rabbits from chewing your cords?

what if you wrapped the heat rock in 4 layers of fleece, securely wrapped, so the joey couldnt touch it?

what if a 5 day old joey was rejected and it was the only heat source available?

would a heat rock be acceptable if, IF, safety precautions were taken?

just some thoughts to toss out there

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1076264
02/23/11 04:08 PM
02/23/11 04:08 PM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
I have a question to add to the list lol! Since heat rocks are widely thought of as a no-no (I won't use them.)

What are thoughts about a heat lamp for such issues with a very young joey? I know they are used to keep reptiles warm and cages warm for them but could they be useful for a sugar glider joey that can't keep itself warm? Granted precautions must be taken to make sure it doesn't make surrounding things too hot and that the joey or sugar gliders can't reach out and touch the lamp.

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: JillMarie] #1076278
02/23/11 04:39 PM
02/23/11 04:39 PM

T
Tyger
Unregistered
Tyger
Unregistered
T

I still wouldn't wrap a heat rock in anything considering how prone they are to sparking and going into flames.

For a rejected joey, I would recommend an under tank heating pad. That way, it can go under an aquarium (or whatever you are keeping the little joey in) and heats through the glass without actually being in the cage. You then put towels or fleece inside the aquarium, between the heat and the joey. You can control the temp by the amount of layers you put between the joey and the heated bottom. Much safer, in my opinion. Under tank heating pads are what I use for my reptiles.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: JillMarie] #1076282
02/23/11 04:50 PM
02/23/11 04:50 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Originally Posted By: JillMarie

what if you put the heat rock up against the bars of the cage so the cord isnt exposed to get chewed on?

what if you covered the cord in those plastic covers made to keep rabbits from chewing your cords?

what if you wrapped the heat rock in 4 layers of fleece, securely wrapped, so the joey couldnt touch it?

what if a 5 day old joey was rejected and it was the only heat source available?

If a heat rock is hot enough to burn a person or give an animal third degree burns, you can bet it's hot enough to burn/melt the fleece you wrap around it. Which in turn can be a fire hazard-not just a danger to your glider.

If a 5 day old joey was rejected and I didn't have anything but a heat rock, I would stay awake until I could get something more suitable(you won't be getting much sleep with a 5 day old rejected joey anyway) and keep the joey on my body for warmth. ESPECIALLY with a 5 day old joey that really does not have the motor coordination to be able to move away from a spot that is very hot. (yes they usually manage to squirm away, but at what cost?)

So no, I do not believe a heat rock is EVER acceptable for glider use. IMO.

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 02/23/11 04:51 PM.

Allie
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1076410
02/23/11 09:30 PM
02/23/11 09:30 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I agree that under no circumstances should a heat rock be used for any aged sugar glider. There are much better and safer options to use for rejected joeys in their incubators. And older gliders just don't NEED them at all.

So nope, I'd never use one.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1076458
02/23/11 11:17 PM
02/23/11 11:17 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
As has been mentioned - heat rocks can spark, I would never wrap a heat rock with material of any kind. The biggest issue I have with heat rocks is the hot spots. They are just not consistent in quality or function. Just because it works right out of the box (and many don't work properly right out of the box) doesn't mean that they will continue to do so even if you have a thermostat hooked up. Just because you don't feel a hot spot doesn't mean one won't appear, or that you just didn't happen to think it was that hot.

As someone mentioned - too hot for you and too hot for an animal (particularly when you are talking young or sick) is two different things. As I mentioned earlier, a healthy adult glider should not need a heat source and they are the ones most likely to be able to move away in time if they get too hot. A young or ill glider may be helped by a heat source, but may also be too small, sick or weak to move away when the heat gets to be too much. A burn (even a minor burn) on a young or ill glider could very well mean pushing their body beyond the point of recovery.

I have used heat rocks (never for gliders). I know many people that have used heat rocks. I would NEVER, EVER use a heat rock again, for any animal...for any reason at all, for that matter.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: JillMarie] #1076480
02/23/11 11:55 PM
02/23/11 11:55 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
While I do understand the danger of heat rocks for sugar gliders and the fact that if a joey is old enough they are not needed. And should not be used for adult gliders at all. I want to play devil's advocate for a second.

While there MAY be ways to wrap the cord to protect it from being chewed, wrapping the rock is not a good idea - and not just due to fire hazard. A localized heating element heats the material around it. Wrapping the rock will actually cause the heat to build up and the rock will get hotter. The same happens with an under tank heater. If the substrate is too thick, the pad gets hotter because the heat can't escape. If you choose to use a UTH for a rejected joey, do NOT put more than 2 or maybe 3 layers of fleece on the bottom of the tank!! You MUST MUST MUST always use a thermostat with your heating element!!! I can not stress this enough! Do not guess with your temperatures! Use a thermometer to measure the temps and place the probe directly on the glass in the middle of the heating element, and use a thermostat to control how hot the element gets. Do not skimp on this or you'll have a dead animal, whether its a snake, lizard, or glider.

Sorry to be blunt about this, but it's imperative that the proper use of these heating elements be understood. Any localized heating element has the capacity to overheat, whether its a rock, uth, or lamp. A thermostat is vital to your animal's well-being. wink

Incidentally, the Accurite thermometer is one of the best on the market and you can find it at Wal-Mart for about $12. And the Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R is about $30 and is a pretty darn good thermostat...

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1076555
02/24/11 01:20 AM
02/24/11 01:20 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Quote:
If a heat rock is hot enough to burn a person or give an animal third degree burns, you can bet it's hot enough to burn/melt the fleece you wrap around it. Which in turn can be a fire hazard-not just a danger to your glider.

Fleece will melt! Do not put anything on, around or near a heat rock.

In regards to the fleece melting, I turned on a lamp one night that I had not used in a while and I could smell the dust heating up so I grabbed what was handy to wipe of the bulb. It was a piece of fleece and it melted.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1076714
02/24/11 12:47 PM
02/24/11 12:47 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
My first worry is that with all my cages, all my gliders have managed to damage their toys by chewing them to the point I have to repair them with stronger material.

Gliders can and will chew and if they chew the cord, what does that mean? Electrocution. This is why I will never be for heat rocks in glider cages.

I also know reptile breeders who flat out will not use the heat rocks because they have had animals burnt before.

Mills brought them into the glider world for the simple reason they were pulling joeys too young that were not yet weaned. A young joey less than 8 weeks out of pouch, normally cannot hold their own body temp. Selling the gliders with a hot rock was one way to help ensure the glider would live probably a little longer past their guarantee period and they wouldn't have to replace it. sounds cold and heartless. Yes. And so are the mill breeders.

Best way to keep a glider warm is to have their room at a temp you feel comfy and to make sure it has a buddy. Sharing body heat is one very effective way for any mammal to keep warm.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 02/24/11 12:50 PM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: Cora] #1076716
02/24/11 12:52 PM
02/24/11 12:52 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Originally Posted By: Cora
not UL approved.
You crack me up with the obvious. LOL. You rock. Not the heat rock, of course.

dance

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: ] #1077591
02/26/11 12:01 AM
02/26/11 12:01 AM

S
StarlightGliders
Unregistered
StarlightGliders
Unregistered
S

I never looked at it from the point that they'd burn themselves, always that there would be a cord in the cage... I would never tell any one to put a heating anything in their glider cage. Or a reptile cage for that matter.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: Anonymous] #1367423
04/06/14 09:14 PM
04/06/14 09:14 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana
indiccarose Offline
indiccarose  Offline

Lafayette, Louisiana
I had heard all the warnings about heat rocks and had never saw one in person until I went to meet my foster gliders. The cage was pvc coated but there were small metal rings all around it and the door was bare metal (it was a Pocket Pets cage). The entire cage was electrified because of the heat rock!!! The only thing that saved them was the fact that the majority of the cage was rubber coated.

This was my first experience with a heat rock.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: indiccarose] #1367428
04/06/14 09:29 PM
04/06/14 09:29 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: indiccarose
The cage was pvc coated but there were small metal rings all around it and the door was bare metal (it was a pocket pets cage). The entire cage was electrified because of the heat rock!!!

There had to have been an exposed wire from the heat rock touching the cage for that to happen. Glad that no one, people or gliders, got hurt! Well...I hope no one did anyway.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: GliderNursery] #1367441
04/06/14 11:01 PM
04/06/14 11:01 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
The entire cage was electrified because of the heat rock!!!

If the entire cage was electrified, the gliders inside would be dead. And anyone touching the cage would at least get zapped and more than likely a fire would happen as well.

I agree with Shelly, an exposed wire would have had to be present and again if that were the case, the glider would be dead.

However, I firmly believe there is NO REASON to have a heat rock in ones cage.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: Anonymous] #1367444
04/06/14 11:40 PM
04/06/14 11:40 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana
indiccarose Offline
indiccarose  Offline

Lafayette, Louisiana
I honesly couldn't see any exposed wires, but there was so much gunk between the back of the rock and the cage bars, even when I removed it, I couldn't see one.

I first felt it when I set my hand on the shelf inside the cage when introducing myself to them. At first I thought it scratched me(the cage) I picked my hand up and set it back down and that is when I realized it was electricity. I asked "is there electricity going to this cage? " he said "well I havve the heat rock and the heat lamp"
I
I had him set his hand where I had felt it, but he said he didn't. I said I swear my fingers are still tingling. A couple min later I touched the cage door ( bare metal, along with the latch). I had him feel it and he said yeah I felt it that time. I had him unplug the heat rock and the current was gone.

You couldn't feel the current on the parts that were coated, just the bare metal. I'm new to this forum and if I can figure out how to post a pic

It wasn't until a few weeks later that it dawned on me, he opened the cage that night. It was bare metal.. He had to have known!!

I'm new to the forum and on my tablet otherwise I would post a pic of the cage, I did see this on craigslist though.. although it doesn't show the door you can see the little metal rings.

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/pet/4353621590.html

Yeah, talk about a fire hazard. I didn't even see the heat lamp at first because he had a blanket over it.!!

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: Anonymous] #1367446
04/06/14 11:51 PM
04/06/14 11:51 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana
indiccarose Offline
indiccarose  Offline

Lafayette, Louisiana
P.s. Peggy, I am a fairly new suggie momma, I have not heard anything positive about heat rocks(except from certain sources). After this experience, I am an avidly anti heat rock.

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: indiccarose] #1367469
04/07/14 10:39 AM
04/07/14 10:39 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Not to get off topic, but:
Originally Posted By: indiccarose
I'm new to this forum and if I can figure out how to post a pic

How To - Adding Pics to a Post

Those cages by PP, although too small IMO for a permanent cage are perfectly fine and safe. They are actually some of the best quality and long lasting cages available. If the bare metal was electrified, it could only have been so if a bare wire from either the heat rock or heat lamp was touching it. Sadly, neither a heat rock nor a heat lamp is needed or should have been used. I'm hoping that you aren't using either with them. Even a young joey, once weaned from its parents, can maintain its own body temperature.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Heating Rocks Will Bake Your Sugar Glider [Re: Anonymous] #1367476
04/07/14 12:21 PM
04/07/14 12:21 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana
indiccarose Offline
indiccarose  Offline

Lafayette, Louisiana
Nope, the heatrock went in the garbage as soon as I got it home.I tried to see if the wire was damaged but honestly there was so much gunk built up on it I didn't even want to mess with it.The lamp is stored away.I borrowed a bigger cage for them as well(although the quality isn't great, they have lots more room). He had 5 gliders in that little cage!!

Thanks for the photo info..I'll get the hang of things eventually. I wish I would have taken some before (I cleaned it) Pics, it was disgusting, and all he had was a wheel, a grimy rope (I think it had pvc or something inside of it), and some gross, sticky sleeping pouches on the floor of the cage (which is why I didn't see the heat rock at first). The were also in a long "closet" next to the furnace, in the dark.I wanted to take them home that night,but wasn't able to. I asked him to bring them to me the next day, so he could see my set up.Of course he never did. I finally picked them up at around 10pm, and was just going to feed them and clean the cage up the next day, but it was so gross I couldn't even put their plate of food in there. I was up till 4am getting it just clean enough to feed them.

I was just trying to show what I meant by the little metal rings that were picking up the electric current,and how the rest of the cage was coated (which is why the gliders didn't die).It was definitely the heat rock, because when he unplugged it the current went away.

I did like the way the bars were more of a mesh pattern, instead of the straight up and down like most cages, it seemed easier for them to climb. But cleaning all those little bars (especially as dirty as they were) was a pain. My steam cleaner hardly made a dent.

I have definitely learned a lot since I brought home "my" colony in October, and even more in the last two months since my fosters have been with me in personal experience,research, and boards like this( I would be a wreck if it weren't for ya'll lol)

I also wanted to clarify, that my original response to this thread was only to give my own personal experience with the safety of heat rocks. It was my first and ONLY time encountering one. After I had heard all the warnings and horror stories, OF COURSE the first one I see is malfunctioning, that's my luck lol.

Last edited by indiccarose; 04/07/14 01:33 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 324 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,684 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024