Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is this rejection!!!!!????? #1390679
06/04/15 04:57 AM
06/04/15 04:57 AM
Canada Ontario outside of the ...
alixdor Offline OP
Out of Pouch
alixdor  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Hello

My sugar gliders kaiya and omeo had a joey come OOP on monday. But i am now almost certain that she is rejecting him.

I woke up about 30 mins ago to what can only be described and hissing and huffing. The joey has his head in her pouch and she is hissing at him constantly, sometimes powder sometimes quietly and a couple times it sounded like the beginning of a slight crab.

She was just climb all over her cage and hissing the entire time. I opened the door and she climb on me hissing at the baby. Pretty sure she is trying to pull him off of her. She keeps running on the wheel and trying to fake him off. She seems desperate. I think she may be in pain as well. From the look on her face it seems that the joey's nursing is causing pain to her tender nipples. It doesn't seem to get better as the joey seems to be changing nipples anyways…….

Is this not rejection? I am afraid to pull him off as I do not want to injure her. Should I just seat here and watch make sure no one gets hurt then take him once he is off? I have everything I need to hand raise but obviously being with mom is best. But if she is soar or worse has an injection then I don't want either of them going through that stress. What should I do? my email is christinebaillargeon@carleton.cmail.ca if anyone would like I have taken a couple videos, maybe you could explain to me what is going on but I really don't think this is normal.

Mum to Eva & Brie
Bengals Nala & Simba
Gecko Galileo Galilee & 4 babies
Hedgehog Gandalf
Chihuahua Milou
Bettas Pablo Picasso & M.C. Escher
Cockatiel Charles Darwin
Suggies
:wfb: Tesla, Ollie & Akbar The Great :bb: Loki & Kaiya :leu: Grace Kelly :grey: Omeo :plat: Audrey Hepburn
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Is this rejection!!!!!????? [Re: alixdor] #1390680
06/04/15 06:31 AM
06/04/15 06:31 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
As long as she is not biting the joey she is not rejecting it.

She is just trying to get him off so she can eat and play.

Keep an eye on them.

Where is the father. He usually watches the joey while she eats and plays.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Is this rejection!!!!!????? [Re: alixdor] #1390681
06/04/15 06:41 AM
06/04/15 06:41 AM
alixdor Offline OP
Out of Pouch
alixdor  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

ok, no she hasn't hurt the joey. The father (Omeo) is basically just sleeping. He doesn't really do much, or at least has not yet.

They are rescues and I've only had them for just under 2 months, so they are not fully bonded but they still always come to me and seem to trust me etc.

I placed their cage in my bedroom since it is the quietest room in the home and lockable so my children do not disturb them, that is why I was able to hear it. she actually just stopped about 20 mins ago. She has also been running around her cage like crazy. Very very unlike her to be so sporadic. She spun in a circle but quickly remembered which way say was going.

She has JUST stopped all of her running and bizarre behaviour and gone to the pouch for sleep Thank you so much for your help.

Also I have a video baby monitor so keeping an eye will not be difficult

Mum to Eva & Brie
Bengals Nala & Simba
Hedgehog Gandalf
Chihuahua Milou
Cockatiel Charles Darwin
Suggies
:wfb: Tesla, Ollie & Akbar The Great :bb: Loki & Kaiya :leu: Grace Kelly :grey: Omeo :plat: Audrey Hepburn
Re: Is this rejection!!!!!????? [Re: alixdor] #1390683
06/04/15 09:07 AM
06/04/15 09:07 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
When did you place the cage in your room? This may actually be stressing her out as you removed her from her environment she was used to. It is not uncommon for a mother (especially a new one) to 'do away' with a joey if they are moved to a new location (even in the same room) due to stress, and if she was running around the cage and you stated she is showing 'bizarre behaviour'.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Is this rejection!!!!!????? [Re: alixdor] #1390684
06/04/15 10:21 AM
06/04/15 10:21 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Have you seen the joey actually away from Mom?

The sounds you are describing may be what some folks call "singing" to the joey. It is a rather angry sound that moms make when it is time for the joey to initially detach from the nipple. This can go on for a few days before the joey actually detaches from the nipple.

Often moms will let the joey hang outside of the pouch for grooming before they are actually detached from the nipple.

If you have not actually seen the joey way from mom, it may not be officially OOP - but very close to being so.

Try to keep the cage in its usual place to reduce her stress as Peggy has stated and keep a close eye on them.

When the joey is fully detached, mom will be able to leave it in the pouch, hopefully with dad's help to keep the baby warm, while she gets some exercise and has time to eat.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Is this rejection!!!!!????? [Re: alixdor] #1390686
06/04/15 11:10 AM
06/04/15 11:10 AM
Perry, Iowa
josefine Offline
Glider Addict
josefine  Offline
Glider Addict

Perry, Iowa
We do have a video somewhere in the archives of a mother singing to her Joey. Does anyone remember it,& where to find it?

Larry & Josefine Vodenik
2014 4 St
Perry,Iowa50220
515/321-6081cell#
j.vodenik@hotmail.com
Re: Is this rejection!!!!!????? [Re: alixdor] #1390687
06/04/15 11:44 AM
06/04/15 11:44 AM
alixdor Offline OP
Out of Pouch
alixdor  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

hello everyone, thank you you are all vey comforting.

Peggy, I understand your concern. I've only had them for about 2 months. They were rescues in pretty bad condition and I have been working hard getting them healthy and making a bond etc. They're cage has always been in my room from the start simply because I wanted to watch them and control for all smells from other pets etc to make sure they have minimal disturbance. I have 2 kids and cats and other gliders and hedgehogs and reptiles etc and I keep the room locked with towels around the door from day 1 so it is quiet and free of smells. I knew Kaiya had a joey in pouch the minute I fist held her so I took a lot of extra precaution. She was rehomed multiple times before I took them so they were already at high risk of rejection. They were also under weight, rusted cage, encrusted with urine etc. I was one of the most discussing things I'd ever seen. Both had balding in multiple places all over their body but I am proud to say all over groomed locations are growing back smile

Candy, I have already held the Joey and weighed it and Kaiya daily since Kaiya is still on the small side and I want to track her weight to make sure she can produce enough milk. So yes the Joey has been fully detached, and Kaiya sits on my shoulder and watches me while I weigh him then give him back to her. She is very very trusting. Omeo doesn't seem to care much he just does his own thing. I think I should take her to the vet incase she does have an infection but do you think I would be pushing it and stressing her more?

I checked joey this am as I was worried he couldn't feed (oh ya its a boy smile ) he is well hydrated and no marks, getting a nice layer of fur too. The main reason it worried me was because Kaiya is NOT a crabber to when she started slightly crabbing I thought that was out of character. But I am likely over reacting. My baby monitor camera allows me to have constant supervision from all over the house without disturbing them at all so I'm happy I got it. Thank you everyone, and thank you josephine, I will try to youtube a mom singing. I know they sign and shake their legs making it look a bit like muscle spasms but I hadn't realized it could sound this aggressive.

Mum to Eva & Brie
Bengals Nala & Simba
Hedgehog Gandalf
Chihuahua Milou
Cockatiel Charles Darwin
Suggies

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024