Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to make own cage accessories? #1394759
10/05/15 11:06 PM
10/05/15 11:06 PM
Maryland
I
ispi Offline OP
ispi  Offline OP
I

Maryland
Hello! I have just recently brought in 2 male sugar gliders (I was told male, but I'm still not sure) in after someone could no longer care for them. They are currently in a double unit All Living Things cage with some toys and accessories.

I was curious on how I can make my own cage accessories and toys? What are some techniques on making fleece accessories, and making hanging toys? Where can I buy supplies for toys in bulk online?

I'd appreciate any input! smile I've noticed with the accessories they have in there now, they like to climb on the more stable and solid surfaces, like ropes and huts. Not so much the loose plastic chains links.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: How to make own cage accessories? [Re: ispi] #1394763
10/06/15 08:46 AM
10/06/15 08:46 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
:welcome2:

we do recommend polar or blizzard fleece, and after that, it's up to your imagination and abilities. Are you looking for no sew projects? Pintrest is a great place for diy. You might also look into reset toys too. Re do the toys they don't play with and collect milk caps, plastic shot glasses, so you canmake treat cups they can climb to.

Mine like toothbrush caps, and small plastic bottles they have to work at to get treats. They are a foraging animal so anything that has a treat in it that isn't real easy to get into keeps them busy at night. Easter eggs are a great puzzle to them. Ittermat has two males and they love to collect things in their pouch like milk rings, and bracelets.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: How to make own cage accessories? [Re: Ladymagyver] #1394792
10/06/15 02:06 PM
10/06/15 02:06 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
:welcomegc: And congratulations on your new babies!!!!

sounds like they have a nice size cage! This is good, and will be fun for you to design safe and fun environment for them.

You got great advice already, on the fleece, and looking up on Pintrest. Also some great foraging suggestions. I use the toothbrush covers from time to time myself to offer my lazy, fur butts a challenge to get their, well one of their favorite treats, lol (which is Pine Nuts, btw). Unfortunately, only one, sometimes two will work at opening them, but as soon as one has it open, they all converge and take the treats inside (so I make sure I have 3 in each one, lol). Sometimes it's days before all three have been opened shakehead All three of my babies are "food driven" so that's most what they do, look for and eat food.

When I started out with my gliders, I "Googled" a lot, especially images, to get a good visual on what other owners used to entertain their gliders. As I got more into the forums, I also searched those for plenty of ideas. I especially found that searching for "Sugar glider cage set-ups" (especially photos), "Sugar glider toys" (also mostly photos), and searched vendors sites to find things I needed but couldn't make myself. vendors often have a bit of information on their websites, that I found useful to read. I still google so I can get fresh ideas to keep my glider safe but not bored.

I like to keep 2-3, sometimes 4, forage toys around about the cage. I like to change them up, and move them around. Usually, they're placed in different areas of the cage. I change these usually weekly, occasionally longer, and typically add one in mid-week to spice things up. I did have to cut back on their treats, because my girls are fluffy, so now I place a bit of kibble (Happy Glider) which they all love around it them mostly, but typically add something special 1 or 2x a week.

Reset toys, are not my gliders favs, but I still place 2 at least, sometimes more. These also get changed up.

Then I'll hang a couple swinging toys, and interesting hanging toys for them to explore, examine, and maybe even chew.

I usually keep a toy bin, filled with items they can chew or toss about the cage as they see fit. Sometimes I'll replace with or add a ball pit, though mine don't really bother much with those.

Well I realized that I went on and on, and really didn't directly answer your questions. But if you actually take a good look at some set ups and toys that others use, it will help you know what you can make and what to use.

Here are some things I use for toy making. I've gotten supplies from Dollar stores, craft stores and craft isle, some from vendors selling toy making parts, and some from bird-toy making part websites.

Craft lace
C-links
rings
Pony beads
various plastic containers or baskets
plastic bracelets
silk flowers (non-glued, no wire)
spiraled straws
practice golf wiffle balls

I can't really think of every item atm, but if you look up photos, you'll see what people use and that should be a great help.

Last edited by Terry; 10/06/15 02:15 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: How to make own cage accessories? [Re: ispi] #1394795
10/06/15 02:12 PM
10/06/15 02:12 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
:welcomegc: Lady MacGuyver and Terry have given you some great information.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024