Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A bunch of questions! #1395470
10/29/15 10:56 AM
10/29/15 10:56 AM
Albany, NY
nicoleejeanne Offline OP
Joey Member
nicoleejeanne  Offline OP
Joey Member

Albany, NY
So I found my first baby and she will be ready to come home in three weeks. I've started getting all the items I need but I have more questions than I thought I would. So I thought it would be easiest to post them here instead of in separate places. (For the record, this forum has been AWESOME so far!)

What is the best kind of water holder to get? I was looking into getting a water bottle but I've seen mixed reviews.

I also plan on getting a glider kitchen, is it better to hang it on the ceiling, or keep in on the bottom of the cage?

What is the best thing to clean the cage with? Also, is there any non harmful odor eliminator I can use?

What should I put in the pan liner on the bottom (there's a grate above it)?

Is it better to get a nail trimmer or put one in my wheel?

Once my glider is bonded to me, how long could I take her out during the day in the bonding pouch? I work from 7:00am-3:30pm in a quiet office. Would she wake up and go to the bathroom in her pouch, or should I take her out every so often to see if she needed to go?

Is it better for my glider to bond to me before interactions with other people?

My cage is upstairs, is it likely for any smells to travel down to the rest of the house?

I plan on getting a cage cover, should I cover the front of the cage as well during the day so there is no light for her to sleep?

I'm sorry for so many questions. I'm not trying to be a pain in the tushy. Every answer is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

~Nicole mlove

Mika :rtmo: (oop 08/10/15)
Koga :wfb: (oop 10/24/15)
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395471
10/29/15 11:16 AM
10/29/15 11:16 AM
Darien, IL
Philwojo Offline
Glider Guardian
Philwojo  Offline
Glider Guardian

Darien, IL
My answers will be in red to your questions.

Originally Posted By: nicoleejeanne
So I found my first baby and she will be ready to come home in three weeks. I've started getting all the items I need but I have more questions than I thought I would. So I thought it would be easiest to post them here instead of in separate places. (For the record, this forum has been AWESOME so far!)

What is the best kind of water holder to get? I was looking into getting a water bottle but I've seen mixed reviews. - I don't know that there is a best, our current 2 girls don't like bottles, though we do have one for them, so we use an open bowl, stainless steel in our case.

I also plan on getting a glider kitchen, is it better to hang it on the ceiling, or keep in on the bottom of the cage? - I haven't used one, so I can't comment on this, sorry.

What is the best thing to clean the cage with? Also, is there any non harmful odor eliminator I can use? - Don't know if it is the best, but when I do a deep cleaning on our cage, the Madagascar Cage BTW, I use one of those steamers. There are no chemicals in it, but it does a great job of killing off anything on the cage. Before I use the steamer I just use a garden hose and spray it down, with a power nozzle on it to really get stuff off. Then maybe a stiff brush, or the steamer also has a small brush attachment on it as well, so I used that. Seems to work great for us.

What should I put in the pan liner on the bottom (there's a grate above it)? - I used to use paper bedding, no dyes in it, but didn't feel safe with it, it was what the previous owner of our gliders used (we rehomed our girls). Now I switched over to paper liners from Dr. Fosters and Smith site. Here is a link to what I am currently using and really like.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+15268+5909&pcatid=5909

Is it better to get a nail trimmer or put one in my wheel? - I would say you will need both. The sand paper in the wheels helps to extend the time between clippings, but you will still need to clip, at least that is what I am finding.

Once my glider is bonded to me, how long could I take her out during the day in the bonding pouch? I work from 7:00am-3:30pm in a quiet office. Would she wake up and go to the bathroom in her pouch, or should I take her out every so often to see if she needed to go? - I don't have a great answer to this as we leave our girls in their cage all day to sleep. We only play with them at night. Maybe a small bit on some days, but we mostly let them sleep. I know most others do differently on here so I will let others answer that.

Is it better for my glider to bond to me before interactions with other people? - Bonding doesn't happen with only 1 person, I know this for sure since we rehomed 2 gliders who were "bonded" to their previous owner, but who are now bonded to both my wife and I. Bonding only means that they trust you enough to know you are safe for them and not going to hurt them. Don't think of it as anything more than that, it can be a confusing term and topic for sure though. Personally, and I could be wrong on this, I think it is better to have them interact with people as they are comfortable, no need to "bond" with you before other interactions, again just my opinion though.

My cage is upstairs, is it likely for any smells to travel down the to rest of the house? - This will depend on how often you clean it and how messy your gliders are. It shouldn't be an issue and a quick daily pickup of food and poop helps. The cage liners also help in that area, just throw them out quickly and that helps with smell also. Now, if you leave things for weeks or more at a time the smell can travel.

I plan on getting a cage cover, should I cover the front of the cage as well during the day so there is no light for her to sleep? - A cover is not necessary at all, though it is not a bad thing either. You can cover it or leave it open, there is no right or wrong on it. A cover can tend to trap smells though, so you may need to do cleanings more often on the cage. But it can also help to keep more of the food and mess inside the cage, rather than outside and around. Glider will and do throw things outside the cage, sometimes on purpose sometimes not.

I'm sorry for so many questions. I'm not trying to be a pain in the tushy. Every answer is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Now, all that being said, Welcome to Glider Central, and ask away, that is why we are all here, to help and learn from one another.

Phil

Re-homed 2 females on 04/24/2015
Doll Face :wfb: ��� Sug :grey:

Re-homed From Stephyy24 on 11/06/2015
Bella :grey: ��������� Luna :grey:
Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395472
10/29/15 12:41 PM
10/29/15 12:41 PM
Albany, NY
nicoleejeanne Offline OP
Joey Member
Joey Member

Albany, NY
Thank you so much for the valuable information!

~Nicole mlove

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395475
10/29/15 03:08 PM
10/29/15 03:08 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Quote:
I plan on getting a cage cover, should I cover the front of the cage as well during the day so there is no light for her to sleep?

A cage cover may reduce the tossed food and glider poo that will be thrown outside the cage, gliders can be messy little critters.

Sugar gliders need light during the daytime and darkness at night to maintain their nocturnal sleep - eat - and play activities at night. Sun rise is the glider's cue that it is bed time for the day. In the evening, they will wake up after sunset. If you keep lights on near the cage in the evening you may find your glider will not come out to play until you have turned the lights off. Darkness is their cue to wake up for the night.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395479
10/29/15 06:08 PM
10/29/15 06:08 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I have a cage cover that has front flaps that I put down at my bedtime. They have a wheel and a fleece covered angled disc they run on(it has a name but I forgot what it was). They pee and poo while running, and it will go everywhere!

As far as a liner, everyone here does something unique. I made pads out of flannel with batting in between, and shake it out by mid week, and wash once a week, wipe down the cage with vinegar and hot water, every 2 weeks, and only scrub down the entire cage when it's needed. I take it outside and power wash it. I wipe down the cage on friday or saturday, and wash their bedding, hammocks, what ever they potty on on sunday. They are scent oriented and if the entire cage is clean all at once, they tend to over mark their territory when they can't smell their scent.

bonding... I feel they should know you as a safe place before intros to people outside your home. When we took Fiona to the vet for the very first time, we weren't necessarily bonded, but when the vet drpped her, or she wiggled out of his hands, she went straight for us instead of having to chase her down. I feel it helped with our bonding at that point.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395491
10/29/15 10:20 PM
10/29/15 10:20 PM
Albany, NY
nicoleejeanne Offline OP
Joey Member
Joey Member

Albany, NY
Thanks, this is all very helpful!

~Nicole mlove

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395496
10/30/15 06:43 AM
10/30/15 06:43 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
We use water silos for birds. Mine don't care for water bottles, andyou have to be careful they don't get clogged, and check them frequently.

I have used diners, and I stared with putting them on the floor, and hung them up. The girls were really messy when they were young, and I used to put their nectar over their fruits and veggies, it really kept the mess in one spot. When you bring your glider home, she will show you what she likes and doesn't like. You may ask the person you are getting her from too.

I started feeding at the bottom of the cage and now hang their dishes. They have a tendancy to poo or pee above their dishes when placed on the floor.

I found stainless kennel dishes on amazon. The smallest was 5oz. It works great for their nectar. It's a bit deep, but the girls don't seem to mind. They seem to like to eat their treats and veggies while hanging upside down too.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395638
11/04/15 10:03 AM
11/04/15 10:03 AM
Albany, NY
nicoleejeanne Offline OP
Joey Member
Joey Member

Albany, NY
I just finished setting up my cage (for the most part). Does it look alright, or am I missing anything? (I have a wheel that's on its way still).

Attached Files
20151103_184301.jpg (21 downloads)

~Nicole mlove

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395641
11/04/15 11:52 AM
11/04/15 11:52 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Looks good! Are you going to add any floor toys. I get the Fischer Price barns and put them in the cage for them to explore.

What are you going to use for a water bottle?

You have a good start there.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395642
11/04/15 12:52 PM
11/04/15 12:52 PM
Albany, NY
nicoleejeanne Offline OP
Joey Member
Joey Member

Albany, NY
I have a water silo on the right side currently. I was going to try that and a small water dish and see which one she likes better. I haven't gotten any floor toys yet, I wasn't sure which ones to get. I will look into the barn though. I was also looking at a small basket that has those pom pom things in it. I'm going to make a glider kitchen as well once I get the supplies. Thank you!

~Nicole mlove

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: nicoleejeanne] #1395669
11/04/15 11:03 PM
11/04/15 11:03 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
With a dish you are going to find that they are pooping in it and getting food in eat.

I would hang up a couple of the silos.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: A bunch of questions! [Re: Feather] #1395708
11/06/15 11:55 AM
11/06/15 11:55 AM
Florida
TheParkers Offline
In Pouch
TheParkers  Offline
In Pouch

Florida
I use a water silo and a water bottle. I wash the silo daily just in case they added any "toppings" to it. I've had a water bottle stop working before and lost one glider over it. So I always have both now. Mine seem to prefer the silo.

I also use Kiln dried pine pellets for bedding. When they are kiln dried, the toxins are removed and they have very very little dust. I spot clean daily as well. It definitely helps with any smells!

:welcome2:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024