Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Owner Question on Family Bonding and Biting #1404640
10/11/16 04:55 PM
10/11/16 04:55 PM
Oklahoma
G
Goochster Offline OP
Goochster  Offline OP
G

Oklahoma
Hello all new to the forums and a new owner of two female gliders. My wife and I did a ton of research on gliders and decided to take the plunge into owning two gliders. We adopted two females from a breeder out of the Houston area. They both are bonded with each other and are around 8 months old. They were hand raised from the breeder and we have had them for 5 days!!

My question is concerning the tent bonding time and other family members with the gliders. Can you have other family members in the tent bonding time at the same time or do you normally just have the person that is the primary bonding be in the tent. I have a 5 year old and two 16 year olds and I know once we start the tent bonding they are all going to want a turn to sit in the tent with the gliders.

My wife is hoping to be the primary bond person for one of our gliders and I am trying to be the others bonding person, if thats how you say it.

Also naming the gliders, the breeders already gave the gliders names already but is it ok to change their names to something we like? Right now I don't really call them anything when im talking to them just Baby's.

So far both gliders have honestly I think have been very good at least from every experience I have read on the forums. They have only crabbed at me one time which was the first time I got them. They were in a bonding pouch and I reached in slowly to pet them and one crabbed at me for a second then I was able to start petting them. After that point I have mainly kept them in a bonding pouch either with me or my wife then of course in their cage at night when we go to sleep. They do bite sometimes when you stick your hand either in their sleeping pouch on bonding pouch. Its not an aggressive bite though like they are crabbing and lunging more like a let me taste your finger tips bite but damn it hurts like a mofo. I'm a trooper and take the bites and I try the shoo or whatever sound but that doesn't seem to work all that often. My wife refuses to take a bite cause she tried once and it drew blood on her, but like I said its really weird cause they don't crab at us then bite or even lunge at us and bite its more of a casual ahh let me take a chunk out of your finger tips bite. If that makes sense. Its day 5 with them today and I have only been bit once today but honestly that was because I was hand feeding them mealworms and I think one of them was too excited and missed the worm and got my finger instead. They still try and nibble on my wifes hand though so didn't know if this was just a phase and they would eventually stop once they learn we are not food. I have also put some applesauce on my finger tips and that seems to work they just lick it off but then you have to watch them cause then they will nonchalantly try grabbing my fingertips.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New Owner Question on Family Bonding and Biting [Re: Goochster] #1404642
10/11/16 07:38 PM
10/11/16 07:38 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Goochster
Hello all new to the forums and a new owner of two female gliders. My wife and I did a ton of research on gliders and decided to take the plunge into owning two gliders. We adopted two females from a breeder out of the Houston area. They both are bonded with each other and are around 8 months old. They were hand raised from the breeder and we have had them for 5 days!!

My question is concerning the tent bonding time and other family members with the gliders. Can you have other family members in the tent bonding time at the same time or do you normally just have the person that is the primary bonding be in the tent. I have a 5 year old and two 16 year olds and I know once we start the tent bonding they are all going to want a turn to sit in the tent with the gliders.

Yes, you can have other people in the tent, I would only do two people at a time.

My wife is hoping to be the primary bond person for one of our gliders and I am trying to be the others bonding person, if thats how you say it.

Also naming the gliders, the breeders already gave the gliders names already but is it ok to change their names to something we like? Right now I don't really call them anything when im talking to them just Baby's.
Yes, you can change their names. People may say that they don't respond to their name, but I have had a couple that do respond to their name.

So far both gliders have honestly I think have been very good at least from every experience I have read on the forums. They have only crabbed at me one time which was the first time I got them. They were in a bonding pouch and I reached in slowly to pet them and one crabbed at me for a second then I was able to start petting them. After that point I have mainly kept them in a bonding pouch either with me or my wife then of course in their cage at night when we go to sleep. They do bite sometimes when you stick your hand either in their sleeping pouch on bonding pouch. Its not an aggressive bite though like they are crabbing and lunging more like a let me taste your finger tips bite but damn it hurts like a mofo. I'm a trooper and take the bites and I try the shoo or whatever sound but that doesn't seem to work all that often. My wife refuses to take a bite cause she tried once and it drew blood on her, but like I said its really weird cause they don't crab at us then bite or even lunge at us and bite its more of a casual ahh let me take a chunk out of your finger tips bite. If that makes sense. Its day 5 with them today and I have only been bit once today but honestly that was because I was hand feeding them mealworms and I think one of them was too excited and missed the worm and got my finger instead. They still try and nibble on my wifes hand though so didn't know if this was just a phase and they would eventually stop once they learn we are not food. I have also put some applesauce on my finger tips and that seems to work they just lick it off but then you have to watch them cause then they will nonchalantly try grabbing my fingertips.

You have to watch them when you give licky treats, you want to remove the finger before they run out of applesauce so they don't taste the finger.

Take things slow, talk to them before you put your hand into the pouch or bonding pouch.

All gliders crab and there are different degrees of crabbing, they range anywhere from a slight grumble that you are disturbing me to the stand up slapping at you loud crab which means they are scared to death about something.s

It is always a gliders job to crab, it is their way of alerting the others to danger in the wild.

I have gliders that will crab when I walk into the room and turn the light on. If I say something they will quiet down.

Just take thing at your joeys pace, congrats on the new additions to your family.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New Owner Question on Family Bonding and Biting [Re: Goochster] #1404648
10/12/16 06:53 AM
10/12/16 06:53 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Goochster,

It may help if you check out some of the posts under 'glider talk & travel' where several people (including me) have posted regular 'updates' on bonding with the gliders. I started mine pretty much day one, as did ComradeFluffy with his first pair & a few other members.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: New Owner Question on Family Bonding and Biting [Re: Goochster] #1404654
10/12/16 04:53 PM
10/12/16 04:53 PM
Tampa Bay, Fl.
ShyMayahMom Offline
Out of Pouch
ShyMayahMom  Offline
Out of Pouch

Tampa Bay, Fl.
We got a trio a couple of weeks ago. Myself and my 2 daughters (7 and 11). I have them in their bonding pouches on me most all the time when I'm home. And if we go out, I have a main pouch, and they take turns (mostly because they're still young and I don't want them forgetting they had buddies and horeplaying) When we take them out for play time, we're all in with all 3 gliders. As a result, all 3 are definitely more comfortable with all of us. They jump and climb and play on us no problem. BUT, they are definitely bonding to me. I'm the one who mostly feeds the treats, spends most "pouch time" with them, and feeds and plays with them in their cage most often. I would say allowing them time with everyone does not affect their bonding to a certain individual as long as that individual is the one who provides them the MOST care and attention and does most of the feeding and handling.

Krystie - Mom to 2 beautiful not so little human girls. Mom of Sam, Dean and Amara not so human little boys and girl.
Re: New Owner Question on Family Bonding and Biting [Re: Goochster] #1404673
10/14/16 10:31 AM
10/14/16 10:31 AM
Oklahoma
G
Goochster Offline OP
Goochster  Offline OP
G

Oklahoma
Give everyone an update on how things are going. We have been having tent time with everyone in the tent. The tent is a 4 man dome tent so we usually have the whole family sit still in the tent and let the gliders run around and play. So far that has been going pretty good. The gliders are jumping around on everyone and seem pretty comfortable with everyone. They are still nipping at everyone with the exception of me. They haven't really bitten me all that often anymore at all.

Last night we had our tent time which is usually around 8:00pm which the gliders are still not that awake, so normally it takes them a good 10 minutes to wake up in the tent and run around. Well this time they really didn't want to get off me at all. Normally they are excited and jumping around every where but last night maybe they were not in the mood but they pretty much stayed on me the whole time.

Im getting the feeling they are getting pretty bonded to me I can pet them easily now with hardly any nips at my fingertips. They will crawl around on me now and not really take off. Still having a hard time picking them up out of their sleeping pouch to transfer them into the bonding pouch. One will usually be fine with me reaching in slowing and cupping her up and bringing her out into the bonding pouch. The other is still not liking getting out. She will still sometimes nip at me when im slowly pulling her out or she will just hold onto the sleeping pouch and not want to let go. I try not to force the action and eventually she will give in and usually jump onto my shoulder then crawl down into the pouch.

We just got them a stealth wheel and they love that thing. Best piece of equipment money can buy for a glider right there. I swear last night all they did was run on that wheel all night long.

I have a question about trimming their nails. I gotta do it, there little nails are sharper than ever and are not feeling great when they are running all over me. I am thinking about clipping them during the day when they are in the bonding pouch sleeping. I know they are not going to like this process at all. Will this effect the bonding process I have established with them since im sure this isn't going to be a pleasant experience for them?

Re: New Owner Question on Family Bonding and Biting [Re: Goochster] #1404674
10/14/16 01:31 PM
10/14/16 01:31 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You are right, clipping their nails in the morning when they are sleepy is best.

I will put one in a pouch and pull out a foot, they gently press them to my chest to keep them from sticking their head out to nip.

Continue that until each foot is done.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New Owner Question on Family Bonding and Biting [Re: Goochster] #1405449
11/27/16 12:07 AM
11/27/16 12:07 AM
WA
suggietakeover Offline
In Pouch
suggietakeover  Offline
In Pouch

WA
When they're sleepy sleep is probably best. Ive seen this amazing step by step procedure that I'll use in the future.
If you don't and they get their little nails stuck on a piece of cloth or something, they are known to chew off their finger to get free.
1. Put on two t-shirts for padding
2. Hold the glider gently against you with the belly touching your shirt. Maneuver the fleece on top of the glider and tuck it in all around - especially around the head so it can't wiggle away.
3. Assuming you are right-handed.... Hold the glider down in the "fleece burrito" so your left palm is on its back and your left third and fourth finger (next to pinky) are on either side of its head - leaving your left thumb and forefinger for step 5.
4. With your right hand, gently tug out one of the hands or feet between your right thumb and forefinger. gently.
5. Now switch that little hand over to your left thumb and forefinger remembering to keep your lesser fingers and palm down.
6. Gently rub the hand/foot between your left thumb and forefinger to cause the glider to extend its nails. Once they are extended move the tips of your fingers as close to the tips of its fingers as possible and hold on nice and tight. You must keep that little hand immobile because you don't want it moving around as you are cutting.
7. With your right hand gently clip the tippy-tip of the nails just to take the sharp edge off. If you go too deep and cut the quick of the nail or God forbid the actual finger have corn starch on hand to stop the bleeding.
8. Flip the suggie around to get the hand/feet on the other side. Same procedure
It also had tips included....
A. Consider a magnifying glass on a stand that you can move into place or at least strong reading glasses
B. You need BRIGHT LIGHT or else you won't be able to see those little sabers
C. Talk to the suggie in a low, calm voice
D. They may try to bite. Push fleece around the head.
E. Have a treat waiting for them afterwards

Nutmeg & Vanilla~ my two loves
Along with my 50 other pets smile
{Horses,Goats,Cats,Dogs,Chickens,Ducks,&Beardie}
:grey: :leu:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024