Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... #1405593
12/05/16 06:32 PM
12/05/16 06:32 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
Cages...

I am still working on hubby for a third glider... I doubt I can talk him into it. The girls have matured so much and mellowed...

The girls cage is 36" H x 32" W x 21" D . It sits on a rollie cart with lots of storage underneath. It is the Suncoast sturdy cage.

Now that they are grown, this cage seems small for them. Or maybe I have too much stuff in it. I bought this one for ease of reach. But they seem to be able to be all over it in no time flat. Dot loves to run around on the floor of it. Fiona likes to be high.

I'm thinking taller. I have an empty dresser I could put their extra stuff in and it would look less cluttered.

Back to ease of reach: I'm phyically able to climb down to the floor since my surgery and so that really isn't so much of an issue. But I'm no spring chicken either.

I am considering a second wheel and I just don't see being able to do this safely.

I could build tunnels that go up and over the cage, maybe put the other wheel in an overhead play room? Anyone have luck or tried that?

I hoping to get a neutered male someday. (Fingers crossed!)

Is there some sort of a "glider calculator" that calculates cubic feet per glider?

Advise please, and thank you!

PS: Maybe a bigger AND tunnels.... Hmmmm.....

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1405595
12/05/16 06:51 PM
12/05/16 06:51 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Wider is better than taller. A sugar glider jumps from side to side, not from up to down.

Also, the size of your cage is actually a really good size. Yes, you probably do have too much stuff in it and if that is the case, no matter what size cage you get, you will always find yourself over filling it!!

My rule of thumb is to have two no more than three good interactive/mind stimulating toys that hang and two floor toys and of course a wheel.

HTH

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1405598
12/05/16 07:24 PM
12/05/16 07:24 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
Peggy, you are right of course!

I would fill a larger cage! I feel it takes me an hour to replace everything with clean stuff. And I like the idea of two hanging and two on the floor. I would have more stuff to rotate that way...

I've been leaving the same treat toys in there and adding more. Rotate... what a concept...

I think I'm in a funk...

Downsize and rotate... Think less is more...

Thanks!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1405599
12/05/16 07:35 PM
12/05/16 07:35 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Just remind your hubby that adding one glider requires almost no additional effort, but exponentially improves your heath, well-being, happiness, & stress levels. Studies have proven this, though Arthur couldn't tell me which studies he was citing, he was distracted by dinner.

The only benefit to a cage's height I've found if being able to layer perches or hammocks for them to jump from one to another. Well, & they like perching in the high corners. Otherwise, I think Peggy hit it head on, mine go for the leap over the drop. They're hit or miss with climbing vines depending on the furball. I think the more you could simulate branch hopping, the more natural it'll be for them.

The tunnels sound cool, but in my past experience, they're hard to maintain. I used to have dwarf hamsters who always built up messes in the tube & on several occasions managed popped open the tubes to escape. It was difficult to balance ease of assembly/disassembly for cleaning & interlocking well enough that they couldn't pull the seams apart. I can only imagine the result with glider's tenacity. Just something to think about. Still, I've thought about it, too... I might be a slow learner or just a glutton for punishment *shrug*

I asked Gwynevere about a calculation for their space. She instead led me to the master bedroom & informed me that was about the right amount of space for her. While I hate to doubt her answer since she should be a subject matter expert, I feel she may be slightly biased when it comes to such questions.

Last edited by Hutch; 12/05/16 07:36 PM.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1405603
12/06/16 09:16 AM
12/06/16 09:16 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
I was going to make them from plastic 1/2" mesh squared. But you're probly right the extra mesh might be troublesome.

His concern about having a third glider is keeping up with him during "out" playtime. Dot loves to explore and climb curtains, Fiona loves to play hide and seek.

Dot was a difficult glider to tame. Fiona wasn't. I think he is also concerned with compatability. And since we travel with work in an RV he doesn't want to try to keep up with a second cage if it doesn't work out.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Srlb] #1405606
12/06/16 09:27 AM
12/06/16 09:27 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Srlb
Wider is better than taller. A sugar glider jumps from side to side, not from up to down.

Also, the size of your cage is actually a really good size. Yes, you probably do have too much stuff in it and if that is the case, no matter what size cage you get, you will always find yourself over filling it!!

My rule of thumb is to have two no more than three good interactive/mind stimulating toys that hang and two floor toys and of course a wheel.

HTH

Peggy,

You never met my Lt. Cmdr. Worf. He would hang from the top of the cage and let go, then land stiff legged on the floor so it would make a twang sound. Then he would run up and do it again. He had a wheel, he just liked to make that noise. He was a macho klingon warrior!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Feather] #1405608
12/06/16 10:05 AM
12/06/16 10:05 AM
Darien, IL
Philwojo Offline
Glider Guardian
Philwojo  Offline
Glider Guardian

Darien, IL
Originally Posted By: Feather

Peggy,

You never met my Lt. Cmdr. Worf. He would hang from the top of the cage and let go, then land stiff legged on the floor so it would make a twang sound. Then he would run up and do it again. He had a wheel, he just liked to make that noise. He was a macho klingon warrior!

That is hilarious :rofl2: :rock: :haha: jump

Re-homed 2 females on 04/24/2015
Doll Face :wfb: ��� Sug :grey:

Re-homed From Stephyy24 on 11/06/2015
Bella :grey: ��������� Luna :grey:
Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1405610
12/06/16 02:07 PM
12/06/16 02:07 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
I was going to make them from plastic 1/2" mesh squared. But you're probly right the extra mesh might be troublesome.
Mesh would be easier to clean than the tubes were. How long were you going to each individual section? It would be ideal if they're short enough to fit in a bucket.

His concern about having a third glider is keeping up with him during "out" playtime. Dot loves to explore and climb curtains, Fiona loves to play hide and seek.
Okay, have had all four gliders each go running off on their own cardinal direction, I can understand this one. Still, sometimes that's half the fun wink

Dot was a difficult glider to tame. Fiona wasn't. I think he is also concerned with compatability. And since we travel with work in an RV he doesn't want to try to keep up with a second cage if it doesn't work out.
Not a gambling man, I take it?

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Hutch] #1405615
12/06/16 09:41 PM
12/06/16 09:41 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
First, I must confess I didn't take the time to read all the replies, but I felt I wanted to share some of my experiences and some thoughts based on your original post. So please if I repeat anything said, forgive me.

First, I know it was always suggested that height is better than width, and now it seems it's now being the opposite recommended. I personally believe that a large total space is always beneficial and better if it's balanced.

I've had the same or similar size that you currently have, then purchased the Madagascar cage for my two girls. They loved the space, and yes I had two wheels in there, at first one regular and a travel size, but ended up at times using two regular size wheels, after my Ollie boy was combined with them. I had one cage mount and one floor. I now have the HQ Lrg Sturdy cage and my trio loves the space. I still do the wheels the same. Even though it's a larger cage, I usually keep the second wheel the travel size and I use it on the stand. I can place it on the floor and sometimes on the shelf, as well as the floor toy (which I alternate) to keep things changing.

Second, I used to keep a lot of activities and furnishings in their cage but have downsized over the recent months. I also used to use a lot of braided fleece vines and my girls love them, not so much the fringy ones,they don't bother with those. I don't use the vines as often, but I have found natural wood perches that attach to cage bars (I checked the safe wood list), with the current set up with two shelves and one of the perches (all placed in the upper portion of the cage) my Ollie boy will hop/jump from the lower shelf to the perch, then up to the higher shelf to the upper feeding station. My gliders utilize practically the whole cage the way I set up play & feed stations. I try to arrange things that they can jump from one thing to another as much as possible.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1405621
12/07/16 02:21 AM
12/07/16 02:21 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
Phil: :roflmao2: :rofl2:

Hutch
No he isn't a gambling man. He is content with our girls the way they are. I think a neutered male would give them a different perspective on playing maybe. I see males build nests and carry baubles with their tail. The girls use their mouth to fill their pouch with all the blankies, but have no intrest in bracelets or toys much unless it has a treat in it.

I hope to pull on hubby's heart strings for another. That's why I wanted to make sure my cage was big enough.

Terry,
Mine have no intrest in vines or ropes either anymore. They don't even pee on them.

I try to keep 2 - 4 pouches, but am cutting down to only two.

I have 4 corner hammocks, a bridge, and a parachute I fold in half and make like a folded taco with one end spread open. They like to chill in there during the night. I think I need to take a good look at the cage in the morning(hubby sleeping right now and they are barking again) and I think I'll change out their stuff and only put half back. I have a run about (tilted bucket lid with cover) and a wheel right now both on floor. I may change run about out with their boat (noah ark like yours) and make a ball pit with fleece pompoms and a few toys and blankies.

I do need a make over! I need to make up themes too... That might help.

Less is more...Less is more... It's gotta be my new mantra!

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 12/07/16 02:26 AM. Reason: Had to make phil smile!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: I Know Bigger is ALWAYS Better But... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1405622
12/07/16 03:18 AM
12/07/16 03:18 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Hutch
No he isn't a gambling man. He is content with our girls the way they are. I think a neutered male would give them a different perspective on playing maybe. I see males build nests and carry baubles with their tail. The girls use their mouth to fill their pouch with all the blankies, but have no intrest in bracelets or toys much unless it has a treat in it.

I hope to pull on hubby's heart strings for another. That's why I wanted to make sure my cage was big enough.

Depends on the male. Arthur is just starting to experiment with tail-carries, but you know, that requires effort & he's pretty lazy, lol. Merlin only does paw/mouth carries. All four of mine bore quickly with toys, so I have to rotate very often.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024