Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? #1407353
02/16/17 05:47 PM
02/16/17 05:47 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Anyone use a cage cover for the Brisbane cage? I've seen them for like $60 at exotic nutrition but thought I may be able to make my own or just a big fleece blanket to cover three sides. Any idea?

:grey: Kara :grey: Lilo :cream: Yuki :grey: Roxie
:leu: Princess :rtmo: Buttercup
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407354
02/16/17 06:06 PM
02/16/17 06:06 PM
Darien, IL
Philwojo Offline
Glider Guardian
Philwojo  Offline
Glider Guardian

Darien, IL
There are good points and bad points to a cage cover.

Why do you think you need one, or why do you want one?

Some good points, it can help keep in flying messes, or at least contain them to a smaller area. It can also help keep in warmth. They can also help keep out light.

some bad points, they can be noisy and some gliders don't like the noises they make. They can limit your visibility to your animals. They can get dirty quickly and require care.

These are just some things that pop in to my mind. Again, why you need or want one may help answer this question as well.

Phil

Re-homed 2 females on 04/24/2015
Doll Face :wfb: ��� Sug :grey:

Re-homed From Stephyy24 on 11/06/2015
Bella :grey: ��������� Luna :grey:
Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407355
02/16/17 07:14 PM
02/16/17 07:14 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I made my cover out of fleece. It's washable and I did not sew the sides togther, just attached all sides to top. That way I can open any side and have some airflow. I used solid white fleece on the top for light and darker material on the sides and back. That way they can see daylight and I can see in.

It was very easy. The only issue with it is Dot likes to pull it in the cage. But suppose it gives her something to do.

There are "no sew " versions on pintrest. Your cage is about the same size as mine. It will take about 2 2/3 yards. Multiply that by the cost per yard of fabric. That could run you anywhere from $13 - $42. (Solids, print, On sale, quality). I just spent about $21(fleece on sale)in material to make a new one.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 02/16/17 07:29 PM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: Philwojo] #1407357
02/16/17 07:35 PM
02/16/17 07:35 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Originally Posted By: Philwojo
There are good points and bad points to a cage cover.

Why do you think you need one, or why do you want one?

Some good points, it can help keep in flying messes, or at least contain them to a smaller area. It can also help keep in warmth. They can also help keep out light.

some bad points, they can be noisy and some gliders don't like the noises they make. They can limit your visibility to your animals. They can get dirty quickly and require care.

These are just some things that pop in to my mind. Again, why you need or want one may help answer this question as well.

Phil

Hi Phil,

My concern was to help keep the cage warm. I got the babies two weeks ago and I've been keeping the heat in my 2 floor apartment near 70F 24/7 which is going to be a hit on the powerbill here in NJ. I ordered the Avitech infared cage heater to put on the back of the cage but I've been ultra paranoid about putting it on the cage and leaving it on when I leave the house. Right now I've been just running it not attached to the cage to burn off the new product smell. I have a fleece blanket on the top and the two sides of the cage to keep in some heat but the fleece blanket I bought it too small. I think I needed to get a king size to fully cover the sides top and back. I don't really want to cover the front at all. What I was thinking is if I have the Avitech in the back and 3 2 sidess covered(Avitech says you could put something behind the heater, just not in front), this would keep the cage pretty warm yet not too warm and I can lower my thermostat back down to 60 at night or when I'm not home. They have really thrown much out of the cage yet. I put there 3 section dish on the bottom of the cage and they just throw stuff out and it falls through the bottom wire. The cover I would get is fleece, like the blankets. In fact at this point I think the best thing to do would be to buy a big enough fleece blanket to cover the sides and back. What do you think?

Terry

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: Ladymagyver] #1407358
02/16/17 07:55 PM
02/16/17 07:55 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Hey Dawn,

That sounds like an idea. From my measurements I'd need something 104" to cover the two sides and top. The back is 36" x 32" wide. The front I was thinking of leaving open. As I said to Phil about I bought the Avitech cage heater that would attach to the back. I think keepin the front open would be ok. Do you have pics of the cover you made? Do you think this would work? Amazon Blanket

Terry

Last edited by kidqwik; 02/16/17 08:02 PM.

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407359
02/16/17 09:43 PM
02/16/17 09:43 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I just took a few quick ones. My cover is pretty basic. It's also the first one I made for this cage. The first pic in the album is an inside shot of the light. The second pic is of the front with the two front flaps down. I probably won't make my next one with them. I don't really use them, they just stay on top.

As you can see, there are gaps on corners, which I just shut with plastic clothes pins if I want them closed. I don't think this style will keep heat in, it's more to keep the wheel and treadmill flingings from getting all over my room.

When I make things for the girls, I always think safe and unsupervised playtime. My seams are out instead of in around the top.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/enqcjqclwi80sww/AABfeGjy1MMPMTnJ66quDgA4a

So this is what the girls cage looks like. No time to make it pretty...

Our other cage is in the camper and disassembled at the moment or I would get a shot of its cover. A bit different.

I hope this helps.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: Ladymagyver] #1407360
02/16/17 10:43 PM
02/16/17 10:43 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I cover the two sides and back of my glider's cage, not the front. I have used fleece and have read that you can get the measured amount needed, slit holes and use shower hooks to hang them. I've always just used those plastic butterfly hair clips to hang cover. I did once have a cover made for my Madagascar that covered back and both sides and looked real nice, but the vendor is no longer available.

Currently I am using twin flat sheets and using various plastic clips to hold them on. I am using the drop tray from a previous (original cage my girls came with) on the top of their lrg sturdy cage and clip the sheet to that. It is a bit long so I fold it over the one side away from the wall.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407365
02/17/17 09:40 AM
02/17/17 09:40 AM
Darien, IL
Philwojo Offline
Glider Guardian
Philwojo  Offline
Glider Guardian

Darien, IL
Originally Posted By: kidqwik

Hi Phil,

My concern was to help keep the cage warm. I got the babies two weeks ago and I've been keeping the heat in my 2 floor apartment near 70F 24/7 which is going to be a hit on the powerbill here in NJ. I ordered the Avitech infared cage heater to put on the back of the cage but I've been ultra paranoid about putting it on the cage and leaving it on when I leave the house. Right now I've been just running it not attached to the cage to burn off the new product smell. I have a fleece blanket on the top and the two sides of the cage to keep in some heat but the fleece blanket I bought it too small. I think I needed to get a king size to fully cover the sides top and back. I don't really want to cover the front at all. What I was thinking is if I have the Avitech in the back and 3 2 sidess covered(Avitech says you could put something behind the heater, just not in front), this would keep the cage pretty warm yet not too warm and I can lower my thermostat back down to 60 at night or when I'm not home. They have really thrown much out of the cage yet. I put there 3 section dish on the bottom of the cage and they just throw stuff out and it falls through the bottom wire. The cover I would get is fleece, like the blankets. In fact at this point I think the best thing to do would be to buy a big enough fleece blanket to cover the sides and back. What do you think?

Terry

So to me your 1st sentence is really the driving force behind this, which I get. 70F is a great temperature, but the general rule of thumb for gliders is that if you are comfortable at the temperature so are they. I am not saying if you are comfortable at 60F that is ok, but what most people set the temp at and leave it at while home is fine. If you are concerned while you are away at work give them a few extra small squares of fleece to sleep with.

All this doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't use a cover, but it might save you time and money not to deal with one is all, that is totally up to you.

Best of luck.
Phil

Re-homed 2 females on 04/24/2015
Doll Face :wfb: ��� Sug :grey:

Re-homed From Stephyy24 on 11/06/2015
Bella :grey: ��������� Luna :grey:
Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407367
02/17/17 11:08 AM
02/17/17 11:08 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: kidqwik

I ordered the Avitech infared cage heater to put on the back of the cage but I've been ultra paranoid about putting it on the cage and leaving it on when I leave the house. Right now I've been just running it not attached to the cage to burn off the new product smell.
Terry

Originally Posted By: Avitech FAQ
How is the heat panel mounted?
You can use the free wall mount to attach the heat panel to a wall, or the standard or deep cage mounts to mount the panels to the cage. How do I know which mount to use? It’s always best to use a cage mount because then you can cover the cage at night because the back side of the heat panel is cool and can be covered. The deep cage mount is for birds that might chew on it as it provides a 2” space between the panel and the outside of the cage. How long should the panel be left on? Because the panels use such a small amount of electricity (30 watts for the extra small, 50 watts for the small, 100 watts for the medium and 130 watts for the large) in September we plug ours in and don’t unplug them until May.
Avitech Website

Moderator Feather uses these so I will notify her of this thread.

In the meantime, these seem very safe and give you options for hanging. They are intended for birds but some gliders owners do use them. I would think if you hang it on the wall rather than the cage it would eliminate the possibility of a glider reaching through the cage bars to grab it.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407372
02/17/17 03:43 PM
02/17/17 03:43 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I hung it on the outside of the cage with zip ties in the bracket on the ends of the panel.

If you do cover the cage use something besides fleece as fleece will melt, found that out with a hot light bulb.

I used a blanket when I covered my cage, tight weave cotton.

I would hang one pouch close to the panel and one away from it so they can choose which one they want.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: Feather] #1407375
02/17/17 03:50 PM
02/17/17 03:50 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
So you don't worry about leaving it on when you are away? Even when you travel overnight?

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407377
02/17/17 04:08 PM
02/17/17 04:08 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
No, they are great. You can put your hand right on them .

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: Ladymagyver] #1407378
02/17/17 05:17 PM
02/17/17 05:17 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Dawn,

Thanks for the pics! It gives me ideas on what to do if I want to get cuts of fleece! Part of this weekends projects. smile

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: Feather] #1407380
02/17/17 05:35 PM
02/17/17 05:35 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
From the AviTech instructions I read the I could put something behind the heater but not in front of it. The back of it is cool to touch. The front if I keep my hand on it a bit actually does start to hurt(burn). It's safe to touch by hand, but anything that rests on it or is subject to the constant heat of it may have issues depending on the material. What I was going to do was put the fleece behind it and to the sides of it and under it. I'd move the one sleeping pouch I have on the back of the cage to the side or the front. The girls like to crawl all over the bars on the back of the cage and I think the constant heat front the heater may make them hot to touch for them so I'm a bit concerned about that. I think I'll try it on the cage this weekend to see how that would work. I could attach it to the wall behind the cage I guess but I'm not sure the heat would project into the cage that much because there space is probably about 6" away from the cage because of the baseboard heater on the floor for the that the cage stand is against. I don't think the glider will touch the white surface of the heater so I'm not really worried about that. More so that the thing will burst into flames when I'm not home.. I'm one of those OCD people making sure things are turned off when I leave. Oh, and the new one is making sure the Brisbane cage doors are locked repeatedly before I goto bed. :-b

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: kidqwik] #1407385
02/17/17 09:54 PM
02/17/17 09:54 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Fleece melts, I would use something with a tight weave cotton, specially on the side with the heater.

Kimberley

Re: Cage Cover for Brisbane cage? [Re: Feather] #1407389
02/17/17 11:58 PM
02/17/17 11:58 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I now use a mixture of two different types of clips to hold the sheets on. This is a pic from a while ago that shows one kind on the bottom right side (corner of the cage) to hold the bottom close around the cage. I believe these clips could work along the top to hold the sheet directly to the cage, and I think I got them at the Dollar General store.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024