Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
new owner - slow (no) movement after wake-up? #1410279
06/08/17 02:07 AM
06/08/17 02:07 AM
Canada
A
alexrogansbeta Offline OP
alexrogansbeta  Offline OP
A

Canada
Howdy! New here. Have had my gliders about a week and a half. We have noticed some behaviour changes in the last little bit, and I'm inquiring about them because we don't know how much is due to the new environment and stress, how much is normal, and how much is abnormal or worrisome. Since, everything is worrisome for us at this point, haha.

Our gliders came to us from a home where they were handled since OPP two years ago. They were on a modified BML diet, but since we have had them I've been doing the BML diet as found online at the most "official" looking BML site I could find. They are in the same habitat they came with, using the same fleeces (although, we washed them thoroughly). So, all that is the same for them (same wheel, same dishes, same water thingie, etc.).

When we first got them they would sleep all day, as expected, and wake up around 9:15pm. Then they'd be pretty active until we went to sleep and beyond. They barked two nights, and would stop if we gave them about fifteen min of middle-of-the-night play. They've since stopped that. Gradually, their wake up time has gotten later and later. For example, last night I stayed awake until they got active: it was about 1:15am for one of them and 1:45 for the second one. That seemed really late, which is what prompted this.

Today, I've taken them out of their pouch at 9:15, and for the last forty min they just cling to the wall of their habitat, still. They're hovering above their food dishes, but aren't eating. I dunno if this is because they're still tired or if there is something wrong.

Speaking of food, they've been really picky this far. First couple nights they wouldn't eat their BML mix at all. They would, however, cherry pick the corn from a dish of mixed, frozen veggies. Mixed frozen fruit (strawberries, grapes, nectarine, cantaloupe) they'd cherry pick the grapes and eat nothing else. We since tried mixing the BML diet in with the veggies and fruit, we've drizzled honey over it, and we have drizzled watermelon juice over it. They seem to love watermelon, but it was basically all they ate for two days.

In the last few nights they've beene eating more of their BML, and a wider mix of available fruits and veggies. They also nibbled on some cooked egg white, but by no means "ate" it. And by no means to they eat all their fruit, veggies or BML mix each night. I estimate a little under half. So, we are understandably worried.

We took them to a vet about 4 days ago who did a stool sample for parasites (all good) and weighed them (underweight) and felt their stomachs for hard parts (un digested exoskeleton, she said). All good there. She didn't seem worried about their health, but I know their symptoms can be elusive.

One of the runs on her wheel. The other will sit on it while the first runs. The runner is the larger one, and the more active one (when active). The smaller one just kinda sits there all the time. Nice for TV time, really. But if that's weird then I'd like to know.

Any and all thoughts would be good to hear! Thanks in advance.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: new owner - slow (no) movement after wake-up? [Re: alexrogansbeta] #1410285
06/08/17 10:21 AM
06/08/17 10:21 AM
South Dakota
sugarfluff Offline
Glider Explorer
sugarfluff  Offline
Glider Explorer

South Dakota
I don't think this is too unusual. From what I've learned and witnessed these periods of less activity and eating are part of their behavior patterns.

Your gliders are relatively still adjusting to their new home even though their belongings are all the same. They may be stressed a little still or it can just be part of their normal routine pattern.

My gliders go though phases of less activity and less eating to very active and eating everything as well as waking/sleeping at different times.

I'd suggest keep watching, keep being patient and since this is still new for you think about possibly starting a journal. Track what you're feeding, what they eat, active and sleep times, etc. I haven't kept one yet, but have read on here that keeping a written log can help learn more about their patterns and how things change from time to time. Others also swear by gliders behavior changing along with moon phases, perhaps that plays into their current behavior as well.

I'm sure more experienced glider slaves will have some more imput that can help.

Congrats on your new furry friends and :welcomegc:

Desiree

:grey: Buttercup :wfb: Smores

:rbridge:
My buddy Falcore
:leu:
11/18/11‐09/30/21
Re: new owner - slow (no) movement after wake-up? [Re: alexrogansbeta] #1410334
06/13/17 06:50 AM
06/13/17 06:50 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
So, how's it going?

You may have to talk to them while you are putting their food out. Or anytime you are near the cage. I sing soft lullabies to mine sometimes when they don't come out during normal feeding time. They do emerge slowly, not sure if it's because im singing off key, or they are curious.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: new owner - slow (no) movement after wake-up? [Re: alexrogansbeta] #1410341
06/13/17 04:55 PM
06/13/17 04:55 PM
Canada
A
alexrogansbeta Offline OP
alexrogansbeta  Offline OP
A

Canada
Thanks for the responses, Sugarfluff and Ladymagyver.

It has been very interesting being new owners. Some things were exactly as expected, some not. It is very reminiscent of when I was a first-time hedgehog owner and every little thing gets you worrying that they're about to die. So, I admit I'm likely more jumpy/concerned than I should be.

Eat habits have appeared to improve. I re-made the BML mix using a slightly different recipe found on this site. They seem happier to eat it. I also determined I was giving them too much each night (more like 3 and a half tbsp each night rather than 2), and that's why it always looked like they never ate any of the mix. They are still extremely picky about the foods. So far the only fruit they'll touch is apple, grape, watermelon. And the only veggies they eat are lots of corn and a little bit of carrots. They seem absolutely disinterested in beans, peas, blueberries, strawberries, nectarine, peach and especially pineapple. But, they *are* eating, so, I guess they are just picky.

Unlike most websites' claims, we are not finding the gliders odorless. They themselves are quite clean and have no smell unless you get your nose right up into their fur. But their urine has a pretty strong smell that, no matter how often we change the paper beneath their cage or soak their wheel in water and vinegar, still seems to permeate from their habitat. Not thrilled about that.

Still some pretty slow wake ups. Seems to help if the first thing we do is put them on their wheel when waking them up. Trying to do that regularly at 9:00 PM. They'll spend a good 20 min before they get active, though. Just kinda sitting, staring, peeing, defecating, running a bit, repeat. Then, once active one is highly active and won't stay with us for more than a few minute before dashing to her wheel to run and run. The other will sit pretty motionless beside us as we watch TV. She doesn't seem scared, but she sure ain't cuddly or nothing.

We didn't really have any good way to have them on us while they slept until yesterday. We ordered some light sweaters with zippered kangaroo pouches. We will be wearing them around the house for the next few days to have them get friendlier with us. I'll certainly update how things go! Thanks for the mutual concern.

Re: new owner - slow (no) movement after wake-up? [Re: alexrogansbeta] #1410345
06/14/17 08:34 AM
06/14/17 08:34 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
When mine were on BML, I thought they were picky too. But I learned over several months that they will change what they eat from time to time. Also when it comes to juicier fruits, they may only suck out the juices and leave the fruit. They will hull peas, green beans and such. Gliders only eat the soluble fiber in their food. Their digestive tract cannot process insoluble fiber. So that's why you will see them spit things out and leave hulls.

I have changed over to Critterlove Complete and still have issues with them cleaning their fruit and veggie plate.

It does help to feed the right portion . Their tummies are only about the size of a thumbnail.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,663 TEXAS
679,109 OHIO
487,237 OKLAHOMA
432,241 UTAH
321,761 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024