Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Irregular Potty Habits? #1410423
06/20/17 01:56 PM
06/20/17 01:56 PM
Tennessee
GliderLuvr Offline OP
Out of Pouch
GliderLuvr  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Tennessee
Ok, I have a little boy with some unusual potty habits (or so I think). I'm reaching out to the glider community to see if this is normal or a health issue. I have taken him to the vet several times for urinalysis and fecal, and both tests have come back completely normal, so I am left worrying and scratching my head. The urinalysis what based on a few beads of urine collected by sterile syringe, so not a direct bladder sample/culture.

Here's what's going on...He wakes anywhere from 9 - 11:30 AM. I have heard a variety (on different days/occasions) of grunts, semi-crabbing, or straining sounds (followed by what sounds like a puff of air); these sounds vary in subtlety and can be very hard to catch. Sometimes, like today, he was wide awake and vertically hanging on the inside of the pouch. When I check the pouch, there is usually some urine (varies in volume) and feces. Today, there were a lot of feces (about 5 piled up); feces were soft but not mushy, with a slight green tint (probably from eating peas last night). Urine was about 4 drips/beads-worth.

My immediate thought is UTI or crystals in the urine, but his urinalysis has been clear of white blood cells (infection), inflammatory cells, and crystals. The vet doesn't want to put him on antibiotics with a clear urinalysis. This has been going on for about 2-3 weeks...no over-grooming or over-marking, and his activity level seems normal. He 6 years old, neutered, and on the BML diet...eats all of the BML staple but rarely eats the green beans, carrots, cherries, and blueberries...loves peas, corn, and watermelon...occasionally eats grapes, cantaloupe, and honeydew. I dilute his BML with a little water and include a separate dish of apple juice some nights, along with his water (he prefers juice to apple bits).

So, I guess what I'm wondering is if this happens to other glider owners and is "normal" for a given glider...I know there is still a lot to learn about them, and the fact that they have 1 orifice for urine, feces, and reproduction probably complicates things...so maybe he's having to do both at the same time and things get a little "backed up" (and even more so after sleeping a few hours)? They curl up in such tight little balls to sleep too...and sleep pretty hard usually...Or maybe it's prostate issues? Bedwetting or night terrors? Anal gland issues? Maybe he knows I come running when he makes noise (he's been single since his cage mate passed away 3 months ago and is closely bonded to me, purrs when worn, etc.)?! He's always grunted/squeaked a little after his first elimination when waking at night, then things seem to move through without issue.

Thanks for your insights! I'm so worried, and the vets (yes, plural) seem to rely on the urinalysis, saying "it's clear", and "he looks good". Am just being a paranoid momma? :willy:

heart :rtmo: heart :rtmo: heart
With her sweet temperament, gregarious personality, captivating beauty, and indomitable spirit, Nara Kiah will always hold that special place next to my heart. Her body gave out, but her spirit never did. I miss you so much, Baby Girl. Heaven has a new angel.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Irregular Potty Habits? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410430
06/20/17 07:15 PM
06/20/17 07:15 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
It sounds like he is waking up, going potty and looking for you so you can carry him.

When he is on you he is warmer and comforted by the beating of your heart.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Irregular Potty Habits? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410432
06/20/17 08:57 PM
06/20/17 08:57 PM
Tennessee
GliderLuvr Offline OP
Out of Pouch
GliderLuvr  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Tennessee
Thanks, Feather.
Maybe that helps explain the late morning restlessness. I guess his sleep pattern is similar to mine, as I tend to sleep deeply the first few hours after falling asleep, then less so the next few, then deeply for the remainder of the night. sleep Perhaps, he's awake enough, during this early sleep window, to realize he's alone and need's to potty the couple hours after his last bit of snacking... the TV being nearby probably doesn't help. :hit: He may then get annoyed at eliminating in the pouch. The last couple days, I caught him nibbling on his feces (cleaning the bedding?). ohwell
Another thought...I also just listened to a recording of a joey calling out, and it sounded similar (like crabbing, with some hissing)...maybe I am hearing somewhat of a distress call (out of loneliness), mixed with the sudden urge to potty. Hmmmm...Do joeys eliminate much when calling for momma, as a way to release a scent trail? We (You) may be on to something... idea

Last edited by GliderLuvr; 06/20/17 09:08 PM.

With her sweet temperament, gregarious personality, captivating beauty, and indomitable spirit, Nara Kiah will always hold that special place next to my heart. Her body gave out, but her spirit never did. I miss you so much, Baby Girl. Heaven has a new angel.
Re: Irregular Potty Habits? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410433
06/20/17 11:19 PM
06/20/17 11:19 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I don't know about the behavior being like a joey. I haven't paid that much attention to my joeys potty habits.

Are you coming to this years SGGA? It is in Wisconsin. If you are I could set you up with a pair of 5 year old rescues that I got in a week ago.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Irregular Potty Habits? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410448
06/21/17 07:37 PM
06/21/17 07:37 PM
Tennessee
GliderLuvr Offline OP
Out of Pouch
GliderLuvr  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Tennessee
Update!
My little guy's symptoms escalated today. He began to strain frequently from about 11:30 until an emergency vet appointment at 3:30. He has been passing feces but little to no urine (a couple smudges versus droplets in the pouch). His occasional grunts escalated to strained cries mixed with angry crabbing and irritability, along with squinting and bearing down while trying to relieve himself, to no avail. :hbreak:

Vet report: Urinalysis still clear (no inflammation, no infection/bacteria, no crystals, and no blood)...had to get a radiograph (+ anesthesia for a clear radiograph). My vet found stones in his urethra, usually accompanied by blood but not in this case. Fortunately, his urethra isn't completely blocked (which would require surgery and is highly invasive/risky, leaves scar tissue, etc.). He doesn't want to urinate on his own right now due to pain; the vet massaged his bladder for relief and to collect the urine for testing. Fingers crossed, a blockage doesn't occur while he passes the stones. I did ask again about culturing the urine, but my vet stands by it not being sterile/accurate enough and extracting a sample from the bladder directly risks tearing the urethra (even under anesthesia). With no white blood cells or bacteria apparent in his urinalysis, he wants to address the stones first.

Treatment: Since my vet believes he is producing the stones versus the stones being a product of infection, I am to administer valium (an opiate/muscle relaxer) to encourage passing of the stones, then more radiographs in 48 hours to make sure they are gone.

Please say prayers for my little guy. I hope he feels well enough to eat tonight and can pass the stones without blockage. We are not sure if this is a genetic predisposition or diet-related. He is on the BML diet, though he tends not to touch the carrots, green beans, cantaloupe, honeydew, cherries, or blueberries...only really eats ALL the BML, peas, corn, and a little watermelon and grapes...and loves his mealies (4-5), of course. I plan to withhold the BML (calcium-rich) tonight and offer lots of melon, grapes, and a "buffet" of different fruit juices to encourage hydration. I am beginning to look at other diets, though it has been 2.5 years since he had the issue with crystals in his urine. Anyone else have similar experience (bladder stones/crystals) with BML, with improved results on a different diet?

Thanks for the advice shared thus far...all very valuable knowledge! Keeping fingers crossed...I may need some valium myself. :dizzy:

Re: Irregular Potty Habits? [Re: Feather] #1410449
06/21/17 07:45 PM
06/21/17 07:45 PM
Tennessee
GliderLuvr Offline OP
Out of Pouch
GliderLuvr  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Tennessee
Hi Feather,
No, I won't be able to make the SGGA, unfortunately. I appreciate the offer to rehome your rescue pair. This was to be my final pair though, so I am unable to commit to more babies. When we lost his cage mate unexpectedly, I had to do a lot of soul searching and considered rehoming our little boy, but given his medical history (crystals and now stones) and the fact that he has bonded so strongly with me, I am concerned rehoming him would do more of a detriment than benefit to his wellbeing...even though I assume he would thrive better with a companion of his own kind. It's heartbreaking either way. :hbreak:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024