Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cage Mates (on loan)? #1410424
06/20/17 02:31 PM
06/20/17 02:31 PM
Tennessee
GliderLuvr Offline OP
Out of Pouch
GliderLuvr  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Tennessee
My glider lost his cage mate about 3 months ago. Prior to losing my little girl, we had already planned to have this as our final pair, not expecting to lose our little girl after only 6 years. What does one do when their last glider is alone and only 6 years old? Is there such a thing as "borrowing" a cage mate? I guess there would still need to be a quarantine, plus the chance they wouldn't get along... ohwell
My little guy is pretty closely bonded to me (purrs, snuggles, grooms, etc.) and is pretty laid back and easily dominated by another glider, so it's been suggested that I don't necessarily need a cage mate for him...no over-grooming, no flips in cage, no SM, no lethargy (other than his usual pouch potato behavior)...still actively forages at night and takes some turns on his wheel. dance
Of late, though, there seems to be a pattern of him waking from 9 - 11:30 AM and making some noises (grunts, slight crabbing, etc.), followed by urine and/or feces. vet visits have been inconclusive (no red flags in urinalysis and fecal), so I'm beginning to wonder if some of this may be behavioral...make some noise and momma comes running to check?! If I wear him (to listen for further issues), he knocks out with pops/purring, sleeps hard, and doesn't seem to be having further issues...plus, he looks good at night (I watch him for about an hour before I go to bed). dunno
What do ya'll think, behavioral or medical? Can gliders manage ok without a cage mate (in the case of your final glider; otherwise, I always recommend a pair, of course)?
Thanks much for your time! :thumb2:

heart :rtmo: heart :rtmo: heart
With her sweet temperament, gregarious personality, captivating beauty, and indomitable spirit, Nara Kiah will always hold that special place next to my heart. Her body gave out, but her spirit never did. I miss you so much, Baby Girl. Heaven has a new angel.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Cage Mates (on loan)? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410429
06/20/17 07:06 PM
06/20/17 07:06 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: GliderLuvr
My glider lost his cage mate about 3 months ago. Prior to losing my little girl, we had already planned to have this as our final pair, not expecting to lose our little girl after only 6 years. What does one do when their last glider is alone and only 6 years old? Is there such a thing as "borrowing" a cage mate? I guess there would still need to be a quarantine, plus the chance they wouldn't get along...

You could keep him as a single glider or try to find him a mate that is close to his age.

Getting younger gliders I would recommend two but that will start you all over with young gliders.

Some people try to rehome them somewhere where they would have a buddy.
ohwell
My little guy is pretty closely bonded to me (purrs, snuggles, grooms, etc.) and is pretty laid back and easily dominated by another glider, so it's been suggested that I don't necessarily need a cage mate for him...no over-grooming, no flips in cage, no SM, no lethargy (other than his usual pouch potato behavior)...still actively forages at night and takes some turns on his wheel. dance
Of late, though, there seems to be a pattern of him waking from 9 - 11:30 AM and making some noises (grunts, slight crabbing, etc.), followed by urine and/or feces. vet visits have been inconclusive (no red flags in urinalysis and fecal), so I'm beginning to wonder if some of this may be behavioral...make some noise and momma comes running to check?! If I wear him (to listen for further issues), he knocks out with pops/purring, sleeps hard, and doesn't seem to be having further issues...plus, he looks good at night (I watch him for about an hour before I go to bed). dunno
What do ya'll think, behavioral or medical?

If you can carry him daily, I would carry him. It sounds like he sleeps very hard when he is in the bonding pouch with you. Can gliders manage ok without a cage mate (in the case of your final glider; otherwise, I always recommend a pair, of course)?
Thanks much for your time! :thumb2:

You know him better than anyone, you will know if he is stressed out because he is alone.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Cage Mates (on loan)? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410451
06/21/17 08:08 PM
06/21/17 08:08 PM
Tennessee
GliderLuvr Offline OP
Out of Pouch
GliderLuvr  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Tennessee
Hi Feather,
You have been so kind to be the first to reply to multiple posts from me as I have been trying to troubleshoot. You may have seen my updates/response to several of my other posts already. My little guy has bladder stones that are trying to pass through his urethra, so I am on pins and needles hoping there won't be a blockage.
Regarding stress, he has always been more laid back (and more of a pouch potato), so it's harder (for me anyway) to determine if he's stressed/depressed. When he first wakes, he forages, eats, grooms, jumps around some, sits on his wheel, and hangs out in his hammock. Once I go to bed, I'm not really sure what he does. If I stay up too late (TV on, etc.), he eventually heads for his pouch, so I get the sense he likes his space/privacy but enjoys sleeping on me during the day. When I let him out of the cage, he's curious for about 15 minutes, then wants back in the cage (his space) and has never been too excited about tent time.
After losing his cage mate, I considered rehoming him (knowing they do better in pairs), but given his medical history (crystals and bladder stones), I really questioned if someone else could/would provide the devoted care + be as vigilant in catching the warning signs. He is also very closely bonded to me and took a while (about 6 months-a year) to form our bond; oddly enough, I think the vet visits and loss of his cage mate have sealed the bond...All that to say, I'm not sure how well he would adjust to a new home. I love him dearly and want what is best for him. If I could provide him with a new cage mate, it would be a non-issue, but sadly we are unable to continue with another pair, so I continue to worry. need_hug

With her sweet temperament, gregarious personality, captivating beauty, and indomitable spirit, Nara Kiah will always hold that special place next to my heart. Her body gave out, but her spirit never did. I miss you so much, Baby Girl. Heaven has a new angel.
Re: Cage Mates (on loan)? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410505
06/24/17 06:42 AM
06/24/17 06:42 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted By: GliderLuvr

After losing his cage mate, I considered rehoming him (knowing they do better in pairs), but given his medical history (crystals and bladder stones), I really questioned if someone else could/would provide the devoted care + be as vigilant in catching the warning signs. He is also very closely bonded to me and took a while (about 6 months-a year) to form our bond; oddly enough, I think the vet visits and loss of his cage mate have sealed the bond...All that to say, I'm not sure how well he would adjust to a new home. I love him dearly and want what is best for him. If I could provide him with a new cage mate, it would be a non-issue, but sadly we are unable to continue with another pair, so I continue to worry. need_hug

Oddly enough, you are right, you know him better than anyone else would, and yes, we have learned vet visits helped with our bonding.

You just have to keep him from getting bored, and providing him with fresh blankies with your scent when he is in his cage may help too.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Cage Mates (on loan)? [Re: Ladymagyver] #1410510
06/24/17 08:23 AM
06/24/17 08:23 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
hug2

I have heard of people having lone gliders, for various reasons and they thrived well. A lot depends on the particular glider, how strong the relationship is and how much time you can spend together are huge factors. I personally feel, in the case you described, re homing him would be more harmful than keeping him alone. Follow advice given by Dawn, and you should notice how he's doing being mate less.

I had a little Rankins BD some time ago. When he was a baby, I had to take him to the vet, he had parasites. Then he got them a second time, months later. dunno
Maybe the first treatment didn't finish the job. After a vet visit and another round of treatment, he got better, stayed better, and he developed a close attachment to me. He would wait up for me when I worked evenings, so he could spend a little more time with me and then I'd put him to bed, lol. If I went out and got home late, he'd be asleep, half up on the front of the enclosure; he had fallen asleep while waiting up.

Anyway, please keep us posted on your decision and how he's doing, we are here for you, to help you through it.

Last edited by Terry; 06/24/17 08:25 AM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Cage Mates (on loan)? [Re: Terry] #1410513
06/24/17 03:59 PM
06/24/17 03:59 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Terry
hug2
If I went out and got home late, he'd be asleep, half up on the front of the enclosure; he had fallen asleep while waiting up.
Dawwww heart cloud9 heart

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Cage Mates (on loan)? [Re: Hutch] #1410671
07/03/17 09:36 PM
07/03/17 09:36 PM
Tennessee
GliderLuvr Offline OP
Out of Pouch
GliderLuvr  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Tennessee
That's just precious! heart heart

Re: Cage Mates (on loan)? [Re: GliderLuvr] #1410694
07/04/17 02:58 PM
07/04/17 02:58 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
My most bonded glider, Roo, lost his mate unexpectedly a few months ago. I could immediately see a significant change in his behavior. He was very clingy and wanted to be in my bra every waking moment. He ate well but didn't play or run in his wheel. After a month, I swapped pouches and tried to introduce him to a laid back neutered male. He said no. I tried a laid back female from the same cage. He said no to her too. I tried a second female from the same cage and it was instant love! Altogether, he was alone about two months. As soon as he accepted his new mate, I saw his instant happiness.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024