Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama #1411884
09/04/17 10:09 AM
09/04/17 10:09 AM
Central New York
S
Sandeewhispers Offline OP
Sandeewhispers  Offline OP
S

Central New York
Hi everyone!
I am somewhat new to the glider world. I adopted my baby when she was about 8 weeks old. I do not have an exact birthday.
I got her through Pocket Pets. I am finding out slowly that Pocket Pets really is not exactly what they claim to be. There are a lot of things they tell me not to do that all the other sites I have looked at say is ok.
Right now I am in the bonding process and its slow. Im hoping she will love me as much as I have seen others love their moms.
I have been fortunate enough to come across a woman, that is a friend of a friend, that has helped me out a lot and is also a breeder.
Is there any advice from anyone to help with the bonding process? I have been carrying her in her pouch (not as often as I should). I am trying bringing her into the bathroom and getting her used to me. She doesn't really run from me unless she is in her cage. I talk to her all the time and she accepts treats from my hand. Maybe I am just impatient. I don't know.
Thank you!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: Sandeewhispers] #1411885
09/04/17 11:40 AM
09/04/17 11:40 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
:welcome:

Pocket Pets is a mix of not good with some good as for how they run their business. The diet they push has now been found through diet study to not be entirely bad, although they still push their sprinkle Glider-mins, which would not be needed if using their Glider-Gravy. They latter being pushed by them as an add-on to their diet and not being required. The opposite would be true, as Glider-Gravy is actually a CL (Critter Love) product, that through extensive testing is found to be a top staple nectar for sugar gliders. The sprinkle vitamins is also frowned upon by many due to the simple fact there is no regulating how much a glider is getting vs it's dietary needs. Being, especially if more than one glider, where one can wake first and consume most if not all of the vitamins and the other(s) don't get so much if any. Plus, how would one know if you are under dosing or overdosing the vitamins?

Besides diet, there are other factors involved, mostly marketing strategies, in which they are pushing unnecessary accessories: "starter cage" being one, which actually it doesn't hurt to have an extra smaller cage handy later if room to store one, but it's not necessary. And don't even get me started on the heat rocks and lamps, these are worse than nessesary, these can be dangerous potentially.

Other than that, I would take most if not all of their advice with a grain of salt. Now that being said, no one around here criticizes anyone from purchasing their glider from Pocket Pets, many members here have.

As for bonding, keep what you are doing and be patient. Trust can take longer for some gliders than others. It will happen, and will be well worth the effort and patience in your part.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: Terry] #1411887
09/04/17 12:54 PM
09/04/17 12:54 PM
Central New York
S
S

Central New York
Hi!
Thank you so much! Im glad the Glide R Chow is proven to be nutritious. I have a large bag of it. I didn't buy the gravy. I do have a good size bottle of the vitamins. I have been sprinkling a little on an apple... well at least until I started making her food myself. I was given a nice recipe of fruits and veggies along with some other ingredients and she seems to just LOVE it. I do sprinkle the vitamins on that.
I will look into the glider-gravy and se about getting some.
She doesn't even sleep by the heat rock. I was going to take it out. She sleeps in a hammock that I have made for her and she bundles up in another piece of fleece. I switch it back and forth with another one I made, to clean it.
Again, thank you so much. I truly appreciate it.

Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: Sandeewhispers] #1411889
09/04/17 01:19 PM
09/04/17 01:19 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
The "Glider Chow" is the same (as I believe) Pet Pro Happy Glider in fruit flavor. I order mine directly from the linked website. Saves tons of money, and with you having only one glider (and hopefully adding at least one more), it should last for quite a while. Especially since it's not meant to be a main "staple" food, but a "side" per say.

If you choose to follow the PP diet, I recommend strongly shoping directly from CL Ordering the Critter Love Complete (CLC) would be the exact product and most likely cheaper than PP sells for. Also, she sells the Happy Glider pellets as well, if you'd rather shop at one place.

CL also has other diets available, if you want to save more money, you can use the CL Plus, just had honey, egg, bee pollen, and water along with the CLP supplement, following directions strictly of course.

Also with CL diets (including Original, my personal choice currently), you need to select from the various "salad" options to feed along with the nectar of choice each night, again, following specific intructions.

There are also other diets available to look into, many who like to just stop at local stores often use BML. I personally have no experience with this diet, but many members have used it for years successfully.

Last edited by Terry; 09/04/17 01:20 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: Terry] #1411891
09/04/17 01:50 PM
09/04/17 01:50 PM
Central New York
S
S

Central New York
Yeah, I checked out the site. Its definitely cheaper than PP. I ordered the sample pack to check it out. I also liked the prices of the different snacks and foods.
The glider chow smells fruity so it is probably the same. I am giving her a little of that along with the home made food. Im going to see how she does with that before changing to anything else for now. Ill probably do the gravy as well because I want to make sure is getting what she needs.

Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: Sandeewhispers] #1411892
09/04/17 10:13 PM
09/04/17 10:13 PM
Perry, Iowa
josefine Offline
Glider Addict
josefine  Offline
Glider Addict

Perry, Iowa
there is alot of really good info on bonding w/your baby.
just get on the forum list & read away.
bonding is something that will always be more up to the glider than us, tho.
you will just need to go at her speed, and eventually she will come around, bonding w/you.
take your time, go slow.

Larry & Josefine Vodenik
2014 4 St
Perry,Iowa50220
515/321-6081cell#
j.vodenik@hotmail.com
Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: Sandeewhispers] #1411980
09/11/17 09:55 AM
09/11/17 09:55 AM
Free Like the Wind!
Stef333 Offline
Glider Explorer
Stef333  Offline
Glider Explorer

Free Like the Wind!
Hi Sandeewhispers, welcome to the forum!

I got my two gliders from Pocket Pets as well, last October. As you are finding, PP's marketing of sugar gliders as a quick and easy best buddy isn't entirely truthful.

In my experience of the last 11 months, most gliders simply take a lot of time and patience to learn trust. They are far more wild animals than domesticated like cats and dogs. Gliders aren't born into the world instinctively trusting humans the way we're used to from our pets - we have to put in quite a lot of time and effort to develop relationships with these awesome little critters.

It sounds like you're doing great, even if your glider is bonding a little slower than you expected.

You've come to the right place. There is all sorts of good info if you start looking through these forums, and the people are always happy to answer questions and share experiences. smile

:grey: Yoda (Yodins) :grey: Jabberwinky (Winklefritz)
Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: josefine] #1412168
09/23/17 08:24 AM
09/23/17 08:24 AM
Central New York
S
S

Central New York
Thank you s much! I haven't had the time to look yet as my husband was very ill. But I have time now and plan on it.

Re: Somewhat new Sugar Glider Baby Mama [Re: Stef333] #1412169
09/23/17 08:27 AM
09/23/17 08:27 AM
Central New York
S
S

Central New York
Originally Posted By: Stef333
Hi Sandeewhispers, welcome to the forum!

I got my two gliders from Pocket Pets as well, last October. As you are finding, PP's marketing of sugar gliders as a quick and easy best buddy isn't entirely truthful.

In my experience of the last 11 months, most gliders simply take a lot of time and patience to learn trust. They are far more wild animals than domesticated like cats and dogs. Gliders aren't born into the world instinctively trusting humans the way we're used to from our pets - we have to put in quite a lot of time and effort to develop relationships with these awesome little critters.

It sounds like you're doing great, even if your glider is bonding a little slower than you expected.

You've come to the right place. There is all sorts of good info if you start looking through these forums, and the people are always happy to answer questions and share experiences. smile

Thank you so much! It is definitely a slow process as I am learning. The gentleman that sold her to us was so convincing with the way his gliders were all over him that I really thought it would be a faster bonding process. People are cruel and should not be this way when it comes to animals. My expectations were way off. I am learning.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,692 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024