Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help! I don't know where my babies came from! #1411803
09/01/17 12:21 AM
09/01/17 12:21 AM
Rockton, Illinois
B
bae Offline OP
bae  Offline OP
B

Rockton, Illinois
November of last year I rescued 4 gliders that were said to have been abandoned. The girl I got them from, got them from a girl who needed a foster home for them, and she says she got them from a guy, but doesn't remember his name. Neither girl is helpful with any information about the gliders. I have so many questions about their history, their previous health status, previous diets, just millions of questions.
They're doing great now, BUT there are babies now...
I was told that these gliders were fixed. But they're not. There's 2 boys and 2 girls. I know who the Mommy and Daddy are, but not having their history is really starting to bother me! I'm sure there was record of them at birth, correct? Because you have to document them to follow the lineage to ensure there is no mating between relatives?
I've done plenty of research on Sugar Gliders, but I know nothing of the development of the joeys.

I've re-written this post a million times. It's difficult to word all of the drama that came before them, and I felt like I was rambling.
Is there any way to find out who my babies are?! Where they came from?! Then I'd know how old they were, and if they were related.
I live in Illinois. I picked them up in Bartlet maybe. They were fostered through an Elgin FB page, and previously lived in that area Elgin, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg.

Idk where else to turn.
Thanks for reading.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: bae] #1411804
09/01/17 02:17 AM
09/01/17 02:17 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hi! Welcome to Glider central!!!

:welcome2:

Sorry I took so long to respond, I'm at work and had something come up...

I understand how you feel.

I'm afraid that if there was any record of lineage, it's probably lost with so many re- homes.

So you know what colors do you have?

Mine don't have lineage. My first one I got from Pocket Pets, and my second one was taken from her colony as a joey, too young to breed. I'm not concerned about lineage because they are only my pets with no plans to breed.

Have you considered having the males neutered or are you considering breeding?

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: Ladymagyver] #1411806
09/01/17 09:22 AM
09/01/17 09:22 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Unfortunately, Dawn/Ladymagyver is correct. Finding the lineage on your gliders would be like looking for that needle in the haystack.

I commend you for wanting to make sure you have all that information, however, since it would be impossible to find, the best thing you can do is make sure from this point forward you do everything you can to ensure they are healthy happy and loved.

Originally Posted By: bae
They're doing great now, BUT there are babies now...
I was told that these gliders were fixed. But they're not. There's 2 boys and 2 girls. I know who the Mommy and Daddy are

Because you have no lineage, IMO, more joeys should be out of the question.
Dad needs to be the first on neutered and can be done as soon as you are able.

When you determine the gender of the joeys, then any males should also be neutered when they are old enough to ensure there is no breeding from that little fella.

Once all males are neutered, if you wish, you will have an amazing family unit you can keep together.

I heart family units together.

Good luck and hope this has helped.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: bae] #1411809
09/01/17 01:40 PM
09/01/17 01:40 PM
Rockton, Illinois
B
bae Offline OP
bae  Offline OP
B

Rockton, Illinois
Thanks so much for responding guys!! I was so nervous to post and thought maybe no one would respond.
Well I have been playing detective for awhile now and have gotten pretty far down the chain. I'm supposed to get the guys name that had them before the 2 girls today, and hopefully I'll find out the information I was looking for.

Well, to answer a few questions:
I was not planning on breeding, and I might be considering it now. But I really don't think it would be appropriate if I didn't have their background information. I do know that they hadn't had any joeys the entire year prior to me rescuing them, but I do believe that was because of poor conditions and diet. You should have seen some of the matted up accessories they came with, your tummies would turn!
I believe these little guys are classics. But my Becca has such a light colored face, and she's petite in size which is how I tell her apart from Mommy (Lumen) who has a light chin, but her forehead is grayish aside the black strip in the middle.
The set of joeys are twins (well, idk if you guys call a liter of 2 twins) and I know for sure 1 of them is a boy and the other a girl.
ALSO question about the joeys. I know everyone has difference of opinion on OOP dates, but I'd like to know at how many months OOP you would say that the babies started acting more like adults. Like, less clumsy baby like. Seeing as I don't know the development of joeys, I was just worried they were behind. And I did research this question but saw no one else asking or talking about this specific thing.
Also how old is old enough for the male twin joey to be neutered. And I know they have the 2 grooming toes, but are you really not supposed to clip them?

I think I'm done. Lol.
Thanks to anyone for reading and hopefully responding!

Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: bae] #1411830
09/02/17 07:48 AM
09/02/17 07:48 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I'll tackle as many questions as I can.

Their grooming nails are softer and thinner than their regular nails. I will take off the very rip if needed, or if they are snagging, but for the most part, they wear them down but grooming.

When to neuter the Joey not sure of age.

My two were 8 and 12 was oop when I got them. They matured by 12mos. But if you're talking about them being a bit clumsy, that should be grown out of around 7- 8 wks for sure.

Oop is when they first unlatch from momma. Babies can hang out of the pouch, but they are still locked on to momma.

Hope this helps ! Looking forward to reading about your journey!

I don't know if I could be a breeder or a rescue. I'm too soft hearted and would feel guilty letting them go...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: bae] #1411948
09/08/17 02:50 PM
09/08/17 02:50 PM
Rockton, Illinois
B
bae Offline OP
bae  Offline OP
B

Rockton, Illinois
I just wanted to add a quick little update in my detective work! I found out that my babies came from somewhere in the Southern Wisconsin area. Then they were rehomed with a girl in Rockford named Ashley Schaefer, the "reptile girl" in October of 2015. They were driven by a Daniel Moore from Whitewater? Watertown? Something like that, but said they were his friends gliders, who was with him when they were dropped off around midnight. (And were traded for 2 Savannah Monitors-a reptile). Friends name is unknown and I've since been blocked by Daniel on FB who is denying any involvement.
Idk if any of this matters. But it does to me, and I just wish someone knew something. The whole thing gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, and a feeling that some foul play was involved. Which is scary.

Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: bae] #1412472
10/14/17 04:25 PM
10/14/17 04:25 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
These are true rescues fix the males and let them live as a happy healthy family colony smile

Last edited by cyndiekb; 10/14/17 04:25 PM.

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: bae] #1412473
10/14/17 05:07 PM
10/14/17 05:07 PM
Rockton, Illinois
B
bae Offline OP
bae  Offline OP
B

Rockton, Illinois
My males were fixed on Tuesday!!! But I still have one IP and a 6 week old male! LOL.

Re: Help! I don't know where my babies came from! [Re: bae] #1412752
10/31/17 02:09 PM
10/31/17 02:09 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
Sadly, not everybody records lineage. Some people just literally do not care about inbreeding. (Example: Dakota Carney on Youtube) She has SAID AND STATED in her video that she does NOT care about lineage and "they inbreed all the time in the wild, thats normal for them." She also says that if her gliders breed (they could very well be related) she doesn't care. She will allow it.

If the person you got your gliders from has no idea who the heck she got them from, he probably doesn't know who he got them from, etc. If you even managed to figure out where they did come from, those original owners probably let their gliders breed without lineage/breed for a quick buck. They probably have little to no concern over the well being of their gliders.

It is very responsible of you to want to learn about your animals, and that shows you will take very good care of them from here on out, but ultimately, if you don't know much about them and the previous owners don't either, you are not going to find out anything else.

I would neuter your males to prevent future breeding and let them live their lives under your good care as one big happy colony. (provided they all get along okay)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 376 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,578 TEXAS
679,077 OHIO
487,158 OKLAHOMA
432,162 UTAH
321,687 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024