Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Our first sugar gliders #1412647
10/24/17 12:15 AM
10/24/17 12:15 AM
florida
K
Klasha Offline OP
Klasha  Offline OP
K

florida
Hi! We got our sugar gliders about 3 weeks ago. So far everything is going well, just a couple of questions.

We got 2 girls 8 weeks OOP.
They are not the type that we could just pick up right away. We got them from a local breeder who seemed very knowledgeable and started us with bonding pouch, sleeping pouch and week of food (TPG diet I think). I mistakenly assumed all small breeders hand trained their babies. But looking back now, I realize that was naive/foolish on my part. Also it probably should have clued me in a little when she wouldn’t let me hold them when I went to see them before purchasing them. She just scooped them out quick showed me as she was cupping them and them put them back in pouch. I also didn’t not see what type of housing they were in. Which I should have asked. Maybe this is all normal, not sure.

We left them alone first few days and then started to carry them in pouch and once more comfortable moved up to tent time. I carry them in pouch around 4 hours a day. They are very quiet and only crab occasionally, I think when something startles them. With tent time they are starting to climb on us and one will even let us briefly pet her and take treats from our hands. The other girl is a little more skittish, but has come a long way since first day.
We can only tell them apart by personalities they look identical, will this change as they get older?
They won’t let us pick them up or stick our hands in the pouch. One seems to be much more aggressive (or scared) than the other. I have read here about fist training or hand training. Can anyone give me more advice on how to go about this?
It seems as if most people suggest to keep both of them in same bonding pouch as opposed to separating them when bonding. Should I try to put my hand in pouch with just the one who is more comfortable with us in it? I hate to separate them and don’t want the other one to be left behind. She is just slower to come around I think.
I don’t expect them to just sleep in my hand. I would just like to be able to pick them up to put in the bonding pouch or back in the cage. Right now I am kind of putting the partially rolled down sleeping pouch next to bonding pouch and kind of nudging them into it. They don’t seem to mind because they don’t even crab when i do it now. It can be tricky though.

OK so sorry for the lengthy post. This site has been so extremely helpful and everyone seems so nice and non judgmental of us newbies.

We are so excited to have our girls and love them so much we want to be doing all the right things and have them bond with us.

thank you

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Klasha] #1412656
10/24/17 11:12 AM
10/24/17 11:12 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Klasha
Hi! We got our sugar gliders about 3 weeks ago. So far everything is going well, just a couple of questions.

We got 2 girls 8 weeks OOP.
They are not the type that we could just pick up right away. We got them from a local breeder who seemed very knowledgeable and started us with bonding pouch, sleeping pouch and week of food (TPG diet I think). I mistakenly assumed all small breeders hand trained their babies. But looking back now, I realize that was naive/foolish on my part. Also it probably should have clued me in a little when she wouldn’t let me hold them when I went to see them before purchasing them. She just scooped them out quick showed me as she was cupping them and them put them back in pouch. I also didn’t not see what type of housing they were in. Which I should have asked. Maybe this is all normal, not sure.

Some gliders you can pick up right away and some you cannot. It really depends on the glider, its age and how much it has been handled in the past as well as how it has been treated by any previous owner/s.

Most reputable breeders will let you interact with any glider before purchase unless they are shipping to you, and it is not possible for you to visit their facility. Not letting you see how their gliders are housed might be a red flag for me IF it were possible they were Mill Breeders. I don't believe that was the case in your situation based on the diet they were fed.

We left them alone first few days and then started to carry them in pouch and once more comfortable moved up to tent time. I carry them in pouch around 4 hours a day. They are very quiet and only crab occasionally, I think when something startles them. With tent time they are starting to climb on us and one will even let us briefly pet her and take treats from our hands. The other girl is a little more skittish, but has come a long way since first day.

Things seem to be going very well with tent time. I would continue with the routine :thumb2:

We can only tell them apart by personalities they look identical, will this change as they get older?

It will get easier to tell them apart the longer you have them and the more their personalities come out. Some people, though,
do always have a hard time telling their gliders apart IF they do look identical. Look for differences in their stripes, eye shape, length of their noses or differences in their ears. That may help.

They won’t let us pick them up or stick our hands in the pouch. One seems to be much more aggressive (or scared) than the other. I have read here about fist training or hand training. Can anyone give me more advice on how to go about this?

If 'fist training' is what I think you are talking about, it is a method to keep the glider from biting and one frowned on by most of the glider community.

Hand training is getting your glider comfortable with being in your hand. That takes time and is usually started in the pouch while they are asleep. Simply inserting your hand in the pouch under the glider, gently petting and letting them sleep. Once they are bonded with you, most will let you do this anytime they are with you.

It seems as if most people suggest to keep both of them in same bonding pouch as opposed to separating them when bonding. Should I try to put my hand in pouch with just the one who is more comfortable with us in it? I hate to separate them and don’t want the other one to be left behind. She is just slower to come around I think.

As long as you don't have one lunging/trying to bite, you an try to slowly put you hand in the pouch with both of them. Be sure to put it under them not over them. This seems to make a big difference to gliders. Take it very slow, and you may find that both gliders will accept your hand.

I don’t expect them to just sleep in my hand. I would just like to be able to pick them up to put in the bonding pouch or back in the cage. Right now I am kind of putting the partially rolled down sleeping pouch next to bonding pouch and kind of nudging them into it. They don’t seem to mind because they don’t even crab when i do it now. It can be tricky though.

Seems you have found a system that works for both you and gliders for pouch swapping. I really don't think it is going to be that long before you can scoop them out of their sleeping pouch and into the bonding pouch.

OK so sorry for the lengthy post. This site has been so extremely helpful and everyone seems so nice and non judgmental of us newbies.

So glad we have been able to help, and we are glad you are here clap

We are so excited to have our girls and love them so much we want to be doing all the right things and have them bond with us.

thank you

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Klasha] #1412665
10/24/17 06:28 PM
10/24/17 06:28 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I agree with everything Karen posted.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Feather] #1412667
10/24/17 10:28 PM
10/24/17 10:28 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Feather
I agree with everything Karen posted.
:yes: rofl

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: KarenE] #1412670
10/24/17 11:03 PM
10/24/17 11:03 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
:welcomegc:

Karen, I was thinking that the fist training she was talking about was the same as hand training. Most people say start by placing your hand in the pouch in a fist position to help prevent them from biting. But, when I read your answer to this, I remembered that horrible exercise of placing your thumb in the mouth, ewe, I can't even type the description, it was so horrid.

So, if you mean by fist, being placing your hand in the pouch as a fist, rubbing them gently. Then gradually work up to opening up the hand, then I believe the final step is to cup/scoop your hand under them and just hold them. NOT ALL GLIDERS LIKE THIS, do not take it personally.

Each glider is individual and will bond at their own pace and to their own capacity. Just accept them where they are, respect them, but never, never, ever give up on them.

As far as the breeder, I wouldn't care too much right now to worry about what their housing was at this point. The most important is now, and it sounds like you're doing it the right way.

I personally don't really recommend separating them for bonding. When You begin to start nail trims, you will have to, so you can take advantage of that time, one on one.

It takes time, sounds like it's going well, but don't rush it, just enjoy every step forward, it's great! You will learn your gliders, they will learn you, time, consistency, patience, love, and bribery, all you need.

Last edited by Terry; 10/24/17 11:05 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Terry] #1412681
10/25/17 11:24 AM
10/25/17 11:24 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Terry
:welcomegc:

Karen, I was thinking that the fist training she was talking about was the same as hand training. Most people say start by placing your hand in the pouch in a fist position to help prevent them from biting. But, when I read your answer to this, I remembered that horrible exercise of placing your thumb in the mouth, ewe, I can't even type the description, it was so horrid.

So, if you mean by fist, being placing your hand in the pouch as a fist, rubbing them gently. Then gradually work up to opening up the hand, then I believe the final step is to cup/scoop your hand under them and just hold them. NOT ALL GLIDERS LIKE THIS, do not take it personally.

Terry is correct. I completely forgot about that fist method, and it is effect for some gliders. You can even use your thumb for petting if they will allow you to do so, but for nothing negative shakehead

Thanks so much for the reminder, Terry.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Terry] #1412685
10/25/17 12:23 PM
10/25/17 12:23 PM
florida
K
Klasha Offline OP
Klasha  Offline OP
K

florida
Yes I meant hand training, but closing your hand into a fist so the bites didn’t hurt as much. Thank you for clarifying. I should have been more clear.

Thank you for everyone’s replies.

the one really lunges at us when in the pouch. But since things seem to keep improving daily we are going to keep going with our routine.

I was able to pet them in the bonding pouch yesterday when they were sleeping. I feel like that is progress😊

Two more questions.

1. I have a bonding scarf, i have been using both. What is the consensus on bonding scarf? I feel like they are closer to my heart and that soothes them.

2. I have a stealth wheel, which they LOVE!!! They are so funny to watch in it. Is it ok to use the trim trax with it for their nails?

Thanks again for all the helpful information.

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Klasha] #1417561
09/15/18 09:07 PM
09/15/18 09:07 PM
florida
K
Klasha Offline OP
Klasha  Offline OP
K

florida
Just an update. It has been almost a year. our 2 girls are doing great.

One is more comfortable with us than the other.

After months of tent time we now let them out in a small room to run around. The friendlier one will come sit with me, take treats and let me pet her. the other will take treats and run away. I am able to pet them in the pouch and put my nand in the pouch and they will sleep in my hand. This was after lots of tries, bites and patience. They will not let us pick them up. we can only get them back in cage with treats.

I need to cut their nails but don't know how to do it without being able to hold them. I don't want to ruin all the progress by grabbing them.

how many people can actually hold their sugar gliders?

This has been a wonderful place for advice and hearing other experiences.

Thank you

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Klasha] #1417562
09/16/18 05:07 AM
09/16/18 05:07 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
There are a couple of ways to clip nails. All of them disassociate your hand from them.

A handkerchief size fleece blanket is a start. You can place it in your hand and get a hold of them in the pouch and pull them out. They will bite the fleece. I wrap mine burrito style in the fleece and pull 1foot out at a time and hold it still to clip the nails. I have also used their pouch rolling the top over and dig out a foot. Close the pouch around the foot.

I learned from watching my vet do it too. I won't say they did it the best way but it gave me a place to start. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 09/16/18 05:09 AM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Klasha] #1417564
09/16/18 10:01 PM
09/16/18 10:01 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
I am no expert but I use a bonding pouch and zip to almost the end and use a fleece blanket to reach in and get one foot at a time. My spouse helps me-at least this is what I did until I added tree limbs and now that seems to do the trick.

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males
Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Claralice] #1417565
09/17/18 11:17 AM
09/17/18 11:17 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Here is a video from the Pet Glider on how they trim nails.

Luck Glider Rescue video which is probably more realistic
rofl He doesn't have his in a true burrito wrap but close.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Claralice] #1417568
09/17/18 10:36 PM
09/17/18 10:36 PM
florida
K
Klasha Offline OP
Klasha  Offline OP
K

florida
What kind of tree limb? That sounds easier

Thank you

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Klasha] #1417569
09/17/18 10:37 PM
09/17/18 10:37 PM
florida
K
Klasha Offline OP
Klasha  Offline OP
K

florida
Thanks for all the advice. very helpful

Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Klasha] #1417570
09/17/18 11:25 PM
09/17/18 11:25 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
I use Crape Myrtle but you have to make sure their are no pesticides or fertilizers used. I live out side of town and have many that grow here. It has to be a limb from a glider safe tree - no peach etc.

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males
Re: Our first sugar gliders [Re: Claralice] #1417571
09/18/18 11:00 AM
09/18/18 11:00 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Tree limbs is a way to keep their nails down naturally IF your gliders will use them and IF you keep limbs in their enclosure as pretty much their only way to climb.

I was fortunate enough to have apple branches on the property so my gliders had them in their enclosures all the time.

You also need to make sure as mentioned they are pesticide free and non toxic to gliders.

Be sure to check This Sticky for safe woods and plant toxicity.

Sugar Glider Help

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024