Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413382
12/12/17 09:55 PM
12/12/17 09:55 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Originally Posted By: AlyCatz
Eh. To me its not that big of a deal just to sprinkle stuff on the top. Its not a crazy hard task or anything. I was in the wrong, it wasn't a faulty diet plan. I wasn't putting enough on the food block so I was unfortunately responsible for his current issue. Miki did need to lose a little weight, so this diet seems to work for him. I'm not saying its the recipe for every glider, just that this particular one is successful with my boy. Had I not bought him a new toy set, new wheel, and changed his meal plan, I can almost guarantee he would be overweight right now, so losing that extra chunk was actually healthy for him. ^_^ The vet says he's right where he needs to be! (minus the UTI, lol)

It's not a big deal to me to sprinkle it, it's a matter if they will be eating the sprinkle part and all their food to get what's in the sprinkle. I'm way paranoid about their diet plans. lol

:grey: Kara :grey: Lilo :cream: Yuki :grey: Roxie
:leu: Princess :rtmo: Buttercup
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New odor issue?? [Re: kidqwik] #1413383
12/12/17 10:04 PM
12/12/17 10:04 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
I would believe so! But again, thats probably why its a better idea to transition from the old food diet to the new food diet; to see if they even like it! Lol. All I can say is that mine eats his whole block including the sprinkled top. I think your gliders will be willing to at least try it!

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413396
12/13/17 01:06 AM
12/13/17 01:06 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
There is more to it than just sprinkle on top. If you have more than one glider in the cage, the first glider to the dish could get more vitamins than he or she needs and the last one to the dish could not give enough.

And then there is the little thing about not having the list of ingredients on the package or the percentages of daily values. that in itself is against the law I believe.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: Feather] #1413406
12/13/17 02:51 PM
12/13/17 02:51 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Originally Posted By: Feather
There is more to it than just sprinkle on top. If you have more than one glider in the cage, the first glider to the dish could get more vitamins than he or she needs and the last one to the dish could not give enough.

And then there is the little thing about not having the list of ingredients on the package or the percentages of daily values. that in itself is against the law I believe.

That is what I am concerned about. I have 6 now. 4 in one cage, 2 in another(still haven't been able to merge them because I think Lilo and Buttercup will have this massive fight given how they STILL are with each other with the cages side by side) So I'm supposed to put 6 cubes out and sprinkle on each of them. How do I know Yuki(who likes to eat everything and everyone else's food) goes for someone else's too cause they're not hungry atm?

I called one of TPG people yesterday and she said I could could combine the cubes and let them melt and mix say 4 and 2 servings of sprinkles in each melted group of cubes. To me this sounds like a way they could get way too many vitamins depending on how much of it they ate or didn't. Like you said, there is no listing of what is in the vitamin sprinkle either so I don't know what exactly they'd be eating. I'm just not sure how to go about feeding the four in the cage effectively. The two in the one I think could work, but not sure about doing more than 2 at once.

When my four were babies they were lapping up the CLP like crazy and there was very little left. With the 4 in the one cage I don't even put a tablespoon each in their bowl now because even with 2TBs they don't finish it even half way. I do know at least one of them is drinking it because I usually see someone drinking it, but in the morning I see it splattered on the sides of their kitchen. I feel like alot of it is going to waste. They are also very picky about their fruit/veggie choices. I was initially putting the fruits in one bowl and the veggies in the other. They never liked when I mixed them together every night and this seemed to help with them eating more of both(they still preferred the fruit bowl). Maybe this allowed for them to become extremely picky. It was taking 30-40 minutes every night to get their fruits, veggies, CLP and water bowl changes so I decided to make a massive batch of one of the salads and mix it all together for 6 in a 2.5 gallon container. This saved me A LOT of time getting things rdy at night, but now they just pick at the salad and a lot goes to waste also. They seem to prefer if I pick things out of the salad and feed them by hand. THEN they want it. They're like little princesses! Yuki, Kara, and Lilo all are in the 80-85g range and are a yr old or a little over. Roxie who is also the same age has been 60-64g. She's the smallest of all my gliders and her size really hasn't changed. She eats like a little pig though and seems happy and healthy. Out of the 4 in one cage she has the nicest fur too. The others I think are getting crackly again because it's winter and things are dry again. In the other cage there's Buttercup and Princess. Buttercup is 80g and Princess last check was 84 and she's the youngest! She isn't fat and has soooo much energy.

I just want to know they're all getting the food and vitamins they need and I guess it's the part of me that if I don't seen a good amount of the the CLP or their salads eaten then I don't think they are. I don't know what to think/do so I ordered the TPG to try that.

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: Feather] #1413408
12/13/17 06:38 PM
12/13/17 06:38 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
Why not voice your concern to the company making the sprinkle product? Or Priscilla herself?
Thought/Question: No matter what diet you make, there is a certain amount to feed and serve your gliders. Doesn't the same thing you just pointed out go for all diets? You can put the plate of allowed food in for your gliders, but no matter how it is made, one glider could get to it before another and eat more than its share. That would also leave the other glider with less nutrition. The only true way you could get your gliders to eat their proper fill would be to either sit and watch them eat or separate them during dinner time, right? Its more of "survival of the fittest" mentality for them even though they are colony animals. They won't always share nicely like us.

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: kidqwik] #1413409
12/13/17 06:49 PM
12/13/17 06:49 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
If you are concerned about your gliders picking out what they want to eat, I would blend it all together so they don't have a choice BUT to eat the mixture. That way they would get all the nutritional value with every lick. If each of your cubes equal 1 1/2 tablespoons then yes, it would be 6 cubes with 1/8th of a teaspoon sprinkle on each one! As for the question with one glider eating more than the other, look at my other post I put in reply to Feather if you would like to include yourself in the conversation. Those are my questions and thoughts on diets.

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413412
12/13/17 07:58 PM
12/13/17 07:58 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
[color:#CC0000]If you are concerned about your gliders picking out what they want to eat, I would blend it all together so they don't have a choice BUT to eat the mixture. That way they would get all the nutritional value with every lick. If each of your cubes equal 1 1/2 tablespoons then yes, it would be 6 cubes with 1/8th of a teaspoon sprinkle on each one! As for the question with one glider eating more than the other, look at my other post I put in reply to Feather if you would like to include yourself in the conversation. Those are my questions and thoughts on diets. [/color]

You are not supposed to blend the gliders fruits and veggies up. It forces them to eat the insoluble fiber they would normal leave.

This could cause digestive issues, like constipation, prolapsed cloaca......

Read this article My glider won't eat his vegetables and fruit.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: Feather] #1413416
12/13/17 08:24 PM
12/13/17 08:24 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
Unfortunately, this is news to me as of today. I guess when I read recipes and they would say "ice cube trays" I assumed it would be hard to put loose food mixes into the tray holes, so I would blend them. I've always blended food recipes and fed them to Miki. This is all he has known for his 5 years on earth. I haven't seen any health related issues with blending the food for him, but I'm not saying that means this is an appropriate way to feed a glider. The only issue now is I have a TON of stocked up food blocks! (enough to last the rest of the year and then some) Should I re-buy ingredients and re-create them in salad form when I get the chance? Or should I use these food ice blocks since I have not had any issues with his health thus far and THEN when I run out switch to salads?

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413417
12/13/17 10:03 PM
12/13/17 10:03 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Happy to hear about vet visit, finding what's wrong and a treatment plan. Please keep posted on follow up. Thanks.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413419
12/13/17 10:44 PM
12/13/17 10:44 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Its just with the TPG mixing all cube together by themselves seems ok. But mixing 4 1/8 teaspoons into them all sounds like it could make the concentration of vitamin amounts b very high for even one glider drinking it depending how they drank. I actually asked twice what was in the vitamin mix and she misunderstood my first time asking and said she already told me how to make it. I clarified ny question and she pointed me ro the link for the vitamin mix which doesn't give specifics of what is in it.

The actual TPG cubes themselves seem highly nutritional in regards to calcium because of the yogurt and oj with calcium in addition to adding fruits or veggies with calcium. Its just what is in the vitamin mix in regards to vitamins in addition to the bee pollen, calcium, and what kind of herbs

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413421
12/13/17 10:49 PM
12/13/17 10:49 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
From reading the recipe she says to finely chop it in a food processor or by hand, not pulverize it into pulp or mush. This would be similar to chopping up things for the CL salads but a little bit finer so that when mixed with the yogurt, oj, etc it has even dispersement when making the mix and fitting into the ice tray so each cube has a good of fruit and veggies as oppsed to say one giant chunk of a fruit or veggie taking up most of one ice cub.

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: kidqwik] #1413422
12/13/17 11:54 PM
12/13/17 11:54 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
I got that, lol! But my question still remains in my previous post. (about if I should keep using the cubes I have or when I have the time make a new batch salad style)

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: kidqwik] #1413423
12/14/17 12:03 AM
12/14/17 12:03 AM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
That is the issue Feather mentioned as well. I suggested why not call up Priscilla and ask her your questions about the diet? (unless you were talking to her, lol!) It would be even more vitamins if you took the 6 cubes with sprinkles method. I'm honestly not quite sure what to say at this point. Its a good concern to point out but I'm not sure myself how to resolve the situation. I can only think of calling up Priscilla and shooting her your questions and concerns. I am curious to know as well now that we are getting deeper into the conversation. I'm going to be getting 2 joeys in a couple months and now I want to know how do I keep them from overdosing if I'm using TPG diet?

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413424
12/14/17 12:30 AM
12/14/17 12:30 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
If you do choose to chop veggies up in a new batch, I would feed what you have, alternate at least for a couple of weeks from the old batch and the new batch. This will give your gliders time to acclimate to the change in taste, and new textures. Feed less of the old batch and more of the new batch as time progresses. Their tummies don't do well with big changes in their diet.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413425
12/14/17 12:49 AM
12/14/17 12:49 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Feed up what you have mixed up but don't blend any new batches.

Kimberley

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: Feather] #1413426
12/14/17 12:55 AM
12/14/17 12:55 AM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
Can do, will do! Thanks!

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413427
12/14/17 12:56 AM
12/14/17 12:56 AM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
Gotcha! Thanks!

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413885
12/29/17 05:44 PM
12/29/17 05:44 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline OP
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
MIKI UPDATE BELOW!

I got miki into the vet tonight. It appears he most likely does have an infection; the vet found crystals and blood in his urine when doing the test. He's on antibiotics for 2 weeks to clear this up, and will be going back to the vet after the 2 week medicine binge to check his urine once more. The infection could have been due to a phosphorus/calcium/food imbalance. I have located the source of (what I think to be is) the issue (I was serving him way too little of The Pet Glider sprinkle roughage on top) and have corrected it. Now all I have to do is care for him and wait.
In other good news, Miki has lost a little of his extra chunk weight with the new playset and wheel I bought him! He is now at an average sugar glider size and I have been feeding him the perfect amount of food! (minus the roughage issue)
Everything is solved! (for now)

NEW MIKI UPDATE BELOW!

Miki got his re-check up the 26th and still has a rare trace of a urine crystal and some blood. He will be staying on the same antibiotics for the next 21 days with an updated urine test January 16th. His pee smells normal again and he is still the healthy and happy glider I know and love, so this last wave of medicine should kick the infection!

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413886
12/29/17 06:07 PM
12/29/17 06:07 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Good to hear!!!

Thank you for the update!

Mine had to have 2 rounds of med too first time.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New odor issue?? [Re: AlyCatz] #1413890
12/29/17 10:28 PM
12/29/17 10:28 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
clap

Kimberley

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 324 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024