Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First vet experience. #1414115
01/08/18 07:31 AM
01/08/18 07:31 AM
Atlantis
billytense aka Lisa11 Offline OP
Joey Member
billytense aka Lisa11  Offline OP
Joey Member

Atlantis
Hello everyone!!

Hopefully either today or sometime soon I'll have an appointment at the vet for a general check-up for Lucy and Wendy what I wanted to ask you guys if there's anything specific I should ask probably not I'm sure they know what they're doing but I don't ask them dumb questions about you know their personalities or anything. What info should I have ready that's not already in my head?
Best way to travel?
What happens when we get inside the vet's office and and Lucy decides to play superb sugar glider ninja and just take off?
Will there be snacks provided?
What if I have to sit next to a lion tiger b or...... You know in the waiting room?
Are there any special code words or secret handshakes?

Thanks all!!

Great googley moogley

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: First vet experience. [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414117
01/08/18 12:33 PM
01/08/18 12:33 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11
Hello everyone!!

Hopefully either today or sometime soon I'll have an appointment at the vet for a general check-up for Lucy and Wendy what I wanted to ask you guys if there's anything specific I should ask probably not I'm sure they know what they're doing but I don't ask them dumb questions about you know their personalities or anything. What info should I have ready that's not already in my head?

Check them over physically to check for any lump/bumps, etc. Look in their mouths for any abnormalities. That one might be a little tricky wink Get a fecal and urine sample to check.

Best way to travel?

I would highly recommend you transport these girls in some sort of carrier plus pouch with apple slice where they cannot be seen at all. Hold the carrier in your lap in the waiting room and sit as far away from any other animals you can so they make no noise whatsoever. Make sure they are not seen wink If you don't have a carrier,
put their pouch inside your shirt and keep them quiet.

What happens when we get inside the vet's office and and Lucy decides to play superb sugar glider ninja and just take off?

If you are talking about once you are inside the exam room, hopefully they won't but those table are cold, and I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time they had a small animal loose. Those rooms usually have two doors, so just make sure they are never able to scoot through an open one.

Will there be snacks provided? I highly doubt it. Take that apple slice or mealworms with you.
What if I have to sit next to a lion tiger b or...... You know in the waiting room?

Covered that above. Keep yourself as isolated as possible wink

Are there any special code words or secret handshakes?

Thanks all!!

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: First vet experience. [Re: KarenE] #1414123
01/08/18 06:42 PM
01/08/18 06:42 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Well, Karen covered it. Accept for the secret code words or handshake part. Uhm if I told you, I'd have to kill you. JK, no secret handshakes or words I'm aware of. Good question though.

I'd only add that you be certain the vet is experienced/knowledgeable. And, if by any chance they suggest filing teeth, DON'T let them.

Last edited by Terry; 01/08/18 06:44 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: First vet experience. [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414138
01/09/18 07:57 PM
01/09/18 07:57 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Sorry I'm so late with my 2cents, you have probably had this experience...

Our first vet visit was quite un nerving...

Back story:
I only had Fiona at that time. We had just arrived home from Texas, she crabbed the whole trip, which took 2 days, 4 flats (only 1 flat at a time) on 5th wheel, and 745 miles. I was in our work truck, with hubby pulling the RV following...

We were still bonding with her, and the trip took a toll on our bonding...

Fast forward to vet visit 4 days later...
I had her in bonding pouch when we got there, only 1 cat sitting on owner's lap when we arrived (forgot to mention it was an hour trip, and Fiona didn't crab once).

I felt nervous, I was trying to remember everything to ask, remember to check exam room for escapes, towels rolled in front of both doors. Oh jeez, I was nervious... The cat in the waiting room was fat, and only showed slight intrest in us before completly ignoring us... So, cool...

We go into exam room... They had broom like door sweeps! Awesome!

The tech came in to weigh Fiona. She also brought in a long and thick pair of leather gloves one would use for " Hawking or falconing". I was like, I don't think you will be able to use these, my glider is very tiny. Her response was, "Oh, well just how big is a sugar glider?" I told her she weighed about 1.1 ounces according to my postal scales. Her eyes got real big. Does she have teeth?...

So I fast forward... The vet comes in after we weighed her in her pouch. I carefuuly take her out, she is pretty stared. I handed to to the tech, who bare handed held her. No bites. vet decided to take and hold her... Big mistake... Fiona bolted, climbed up on his lab coat, leapt from him to me, then to hubby's head, then to wall, which had no purchase, and she slid to the floor... then she scrambled all over the floor with 4 adults in a tiny room after her... Finally I caught her, calmed her, and I handed her back to vet, and repeat of above, except she kept up high, jumping from one adult head to the next. She then decided I was the most safe tree to hide in, and crawled under my hair on the back of my neck...

We did finally get her checked out, pulled a fecal off doc's lab coat, and all was well... the tech in the mean time took a weight of empty bonding pouch... Fiona weighed 47 grams at 11 weeks oop. I think I forgot to mention, we only had her 3 weeks before vet appointment... And, this was the vet's first joey exam. He had only done breeder in house vet checks on adult gliders only before our visit...

After that appointment, our bonding got an awesome kickstart! She liked us over her other choices she had experienced...

The second appointment with Fiona and Dot went a lot better with another vet, BTW. We were more experienced with handling them, and this vet was had held a sugar glider before.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 01/09/18 07:59 PM. Reason: Had to redo. Didn't make sense.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: First vet experience. [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414163
01/11/18 03:49 PM
01/11/18 03:49 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
I brought my 6 girls to the vet on Tuesday for the first time. The vet was surprised how all 6(except Buttercup) were so good. He said the gliders he sees are all usually crabbing the whole time and biting the Qtip when checking their teeth, etc. He said it was obvious how much attention and interaction we give them because of their demeanor.Buttercup crabbed the whole time and bit the Qtip though lol. They all received a clean bill of health, including little Roxie who I was always worried about because she is smaller than all the others and weighs only 67g. He was intrigued when checking theirs legs and bone structure how gliders can all be different and how he doesn't usually get to examine 6 at once. Kara had a thicker bone structure, yet Princess, the youngest the heaviest(91g) had a thinner bone structure. None of them had plaque on their teeth and all had good heart rates, etc. The only one he said to keep an eye on was Buttercup. When he felt her lower region it was solid unlike the others. He wasn't sure if she had poop in her(she pooped on him while feeling her) or if it was her time of the month, etc. He said female gliders can have "lady problems" like other females.

The best part was the call on Wednesday that fecals from each colony came back negative! Yay!

The vet is Dr Warren Briggs at Ocean County Veterinary Hospital in Lakewood, NJ. I'd highly recommend him!

:grey: Kara :grey: Lilo :cream: Yuki :grey: Roxie
:leu: Princess :rtmo: Buttercup
Re: First vet experience. [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1414164
01/11/18 09:54 PM
01/11/18 09:54 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
Very cool! And great job on working with them!

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mechnut450), 361 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,629 TEXAS
679,100 OHIO
487,213 OKLAHOMA
432,215 UTAH
321,730 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024