Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When to start tent time #1415652
03/26/18 10:16 PM
03/26/18 10:16 PM
Minnesota
Hydrus Offline OP
Joey Member
Hydrus  Offline OP
Joey Member

Minnesota
I'm sorry guys, I feel like I'm taking over the bonding forum as of late.

So I'm going on 1 week with the new girls. They are still very angry at me and crab all the time. I've started putting them into my bonding pouch to carry around with me. I take fleece that has already been in their sleeping pouch and use that to grab them out of the sleeping pouch so they don't see my hands etc., as I was advised before. One of them can bite right thru the fleece like its not even there - the nice thick blizzard fleece. Bloody bitten finger tips makes it crummy to type lol. (maybe that's their plan...).

Anyway, I know that bonding can take a long time, some longer than others and in some cases can take a year or more (maybe even never) so I know I potentially have a long road ahead of me. But my question is when do I know when its time to try letting them out in a tent? I have one on order from Amazon. Its one that should hopefully fit on top of my bed, if I read the dimensions correctly; and the reviews say that others have used it as a bonding tent as well. Anyway, they seem so fearful of me and so eager to bite that I'm not sure if I should try to let them out or not? (and if the answer is yes, do I just grab them with a towel to get them back in their pouch when we are done?)

Is there a moment when you say, yep, its time to move to tent time now? The girls are so different from my last girl. She bonded to me from like day one. These guys are waaaay opposite of her and I'm really out of my element. I feel like I'm back to training my African Grey...he was a real handful too...(a severed thumb tendon later). Any insight would be great...just feeling a bit sad at the moment. Every day my co-workers ask if there was any progress with the girls and every day I have to say no frown

Last edited by Hydrus; 03/26/18 10:22 PM.

Becca

:grey: :plat:
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415663
03/27/18 11:54 AM
03/27/18 11:54 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Tell your co workers it takes time usually and no real progress is to be expected so soon, or you can tell them that they'll know because you'll throw a party, lol.

Hang in there. I homed my girls at the age of around 1 yr old. Skadoosh was always more easy going, but Lulu was more easily stressed and was a tough one to bond. It happened, slowly, but it happened.

I'm gonna say what I pretty much always say, gliders have their own time table, so when to start tent time will be when you feel confident enough to. That's the real "ticket". You have to have the confidence to do tent time.

Continue with down-time pouch time, daily if you can. You don't have to spend more than 10-20 minutes with them in the pouch, on your lap. Just hold and caress them through the pouch. Have a treat handy to offer when they pop heads out, then give finger scratches (gentle rubs really) while their mouths are busy enjoying treats. You will want to do this is in a secure area. You can start tent time out this way as well, when the time comes.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415664
03/27/18 12:01 PM
03/27/18 12:01 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I know you are really anxious to spend some more quality up close and personal time with them. Who wouldn't be? They look so soft and cuddly, but you know the damage they can inflict with those bites frown

IMO, you still need more time with them before trying the tent. The one thing you don't want to do is chase them down with anything (like fleece or a towel) to pick them up. A week really isn't long at all. They are still getting used to their new home and haven't really settled in just yet.

My advice would be to spend lots of time outside their cage talking to them and giving them treats (not too many) so they get used to your voice and your smell.

When carrying them or one in the bonding pouch, do not force them into the pouch but offer the pouch at the cage door and let one or both willingly go into it. Place a treat or something in the pouch they like to entice them.

I would wait a few more weeks to see if the biting stops before trying the tent time.

HTH

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415666
03/27/18 12:05 PM
03/27/18 12:05 PM
Minnesota
Hydrus Offline OP
Joey Member
Hydrus  Offline OP
Joey Member

Minnesota
Thank you so much smile I'm going to stop grabbing them and putting them in the bonding pouch like I've been doing. I'll just use the sleeping pouch and carry them around in that. It just doesn't have a zipper or neck lanyard on it so I'll just have to hold the pouch in my hands while I have it out.

Thank you for the encouragement smile I'll just keep on it!

Becca

Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415671
03/27/18 03:18 PM
03/27/18 03:18 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Let them get used to your voice, talk to them often.

Offer them small treats through the bar so they learn your hands are not bad things.

When they'll readily take treats through the safety of the bars I'd (personally) be willing to try tent/tiny-room time. That also would be a good time to carefully put your hand (in a fist) just inside the pouch. The fist makes it harder to give a solid bite.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hutch] #1415677
03/27/18 05:52 PM
03/27/18 05:52 PM
Minnesota
Hydrus Offline OP
Joey Member
Hydrus  Offline OP
Joey Member

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Hutch
Let them get used to your voice, talk to them often.

Offer them small treats through the bar so they learn your hands are not bad things.

When they'll readily take treats through the safety of the bars I'd (personally) be willing to try tent/tiny-room time. That also would be a good time to carefully put your hand (in a fist) just inside the pouch. The fist makes it harder to give a solid bite.

Hi Hutch, thanks for your thoughts. I've been following your post in the other threads about the issues you've had during your bonding and giving meds and what not. They've helped me and given me ideas, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

I actually have made progress with them while they are in the cage. If they are in there I can reach in and they will lick honey off my finger and take yogurt treats from my hands and not run away. They will just sit by my hand and lick treats off it, and I just sit by their cage. I talk to them and they seem to listen, they don't freak out, they don't run away. I feel really good about that smile It's just trying to take the step to move them from the cage to a pouch, then it gets real. Mayhem happens, biting ensues. Its madness lol. The volume of their crabbing is impressive. I guess they just need more time at the level of trust we currently have and not push it at the moment. I don't want to ruin what we have so far.

Becca

Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415699
03/28/18 04:16 PM
03/28/18 04:16 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Hydrus
Hi Hutch, thanks for your thoughts. I've been following your post in the other threads about the issues you've had during your bonding and giving meds and what not. They've helped me and given me ideas, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.
Thank you, it makes me very happy to hear that :thumb2:

I actually have made progress with them while they are in the cage. If they are in there I can reach in and they will lick honey off my finger and take yogurt treats from my hands and not run away. They will just sit by my hand and lick treats off it, and I just sit by their cage. I talk to them and they seem to listen, they don't freak out, they don't run away. I feel really good about that smile It's just trying to take the step to move them from the cage to a pouch, then it gets real. Mayhem happens, biting ensues. Its madness lol. The volume of their crabbing is impressive. I guess they just need more time at the level of trust we currently have and not push it at the moment. I don't want to ruin what we have so far.

sounds like they're close to ready, actually. Mine hate being moved to a bonding pouch... to the point I ended up giving up on bonding pouches except when absolutely necessary. (Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure where their bonding pouches are... oops.) Virtually all my 'pouch time' is simply taking their whole sleeping pouch out & keeping that in my lap or on my chest as I watch a movie or read. The trick (early on, before they're past the "run away" stage) is to return them to the cage once they begin to stir. None of mine are rapid waker-uppers in the evening, plenty of wiggling, noises, & generally hitting the snooze button for '5 more minutes.' Much like me... hmmm...

Anyways... working up to tent/bathroom/closet time: I didn't, honestly. Early on, I took their whole pouch out, carried it to the smallest room in my house (a tiny bathroom), switch from the main lights to red Christmas lights (dim, but I could see), & set them nearby. Then I would place some treats & food to entice them out of the pouch. Once out, I took the pouch away, but otherwise let them do their own thing. Mind you, I had my share of nips, taste-tests, being peed on, being ignored, & crabbing in the process. Most of that stopped after a few sessions, but there were some nights... Once they started slowing down, I'd put the pouch where they could get at it & one at a time, they'd find their way to it. I'd end the night by drop[ing in some treats & return them to the cage with dinner ready.

Only do this if your comfortable & willing to accept it won't be perfect right off the bat. I think the first several of weeks I had to mainly (mostly) sit there quietly & let them do their own things as they worked up the courage to check me out. I also gave them breaks from bathroom time along the way where we went a week or more of just cage-only time.

Just more ideas & options to think about.

As an ending note... I still have whole evening where I'll just sit & talk to them or read to them... offer some treats or let them just stare at me sitting nearby. It never hurts to return to 'the basics' once in a while & let them make you part of their routine as much as you make them part of yours. grin

Last edited by Hutch; 03/28/18 04:19 PM. Reason: Final thoughts

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415701
03/28/18 05:17 PM
03/28/18 05:17 PM
Minnesota
Hydrus Offline OP
Joey Member
Hydrus  Offline OP
Joey Member

Minnesota
We had a bit of an adventure last night. I didn't get to the cage fast enough after pouch time last night. The grey one got out (I haven't named them yet). And good grief....she came flying out of the pouch, just as I was approaching the cage. Flew past my face and on my shoulder. Then off my shoulder and on the curtains...up the curtains and across the curtain rod. Over to my bed's headboard...across that and then BAM gone.

So here I am freaking out, I lost my little sugar baby. I'm listening as hard as I can but all I hear is silence. So I get out my flash light and am looking all over the room.

There she was, gripped on the BACK side of my headboard. I reach back there with a little honey stick and she takes a few licks so that is good news. I then sneeze which worked out super well because it flushed her out and on my bed. So I move to her opposite side and it forces her to scurry to her cage. I then move closer, opposite of her doors which then makes her move closer to the doors and then in she goes! I run over and shut the doors super quick and latch them down.

Goodness...that was so ridiculous lol. After that I got some wine watch a few reruns on netflix and went to bed. I was done lol

Becca

Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415703
03/28/18 08:05 PM
03/28/18 08:05 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Wow! What an adventure! I'm sure glad that it worked out so well. I'd say that was cause for some wine, or a shot or two of Fireball, lol.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415704
03/28/18 10:32 PM
03/28/18 10:32 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
They can lead us on chases when they choose to do so. I know exactly what you are describing from a pair from the past! Glad it all worked out!

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males
Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415710
03/29/18 10:07 AM
03/29/18 10:07 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
We had a bit of an adventure last night. I didn't get to the cage fast enough after pouch time last night. The grey one got out (I haven't named them yet). And good grief....she came flying out of the pouch, just as I was approaching the cage. Flew past my face and on my shoulder. Then off my shoulder and on the curtains...up the curtains and across the curtain rod. Over to my bed's headboard...across that and then BAM gone.

So here I am freaking out, I lost my little sugar baby. I'm listening as hard as I can but all I hear is silence. So I get out my flash light and am looking all over the room.

There she was, gripped on the BACK side of my headboard. I reach back there with a little honey stick and she takes a few licks so that is good news. I then sneeze which worked out super well because it flushed her out and on my bed. So I move to her opposite side and it forces her to scurry to her cage. I then move closer, opposite of her doors which then makes her move closer to the doors and then in she goes! I run over and shut the doors super quick and latch them down.

Goodness...that was so ridiculous lol. After that I got some wine watch a few reruns on netflix and went to bed. I was done lol

Look forward to these experiences, and learn from them.

We have experienced similar scenarios. When they vanish, they don't go far. They just go still... Very still...

With Fiona, it's a game of hide and seek. If we ignore her while she's hiding, she'll make a noise, and go quiet. Then she'll peek out. When decide to "find" her, she jumps straight to me for a ride to find her next hiding place. I don't recommend this game, unless you plan to stay up all night.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: When to start tent time [Re: Hydrus] #1415716
03/29/18 07:28 PM
03/29/18 07:28 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL

Maybe I should have warned you that a sugar glider's favorite game is hide & seek... followed by 'catch me if you can' LOL!

Do not worry, we've all been there. The best bet is to just keep an eye on them & let them learn you're not a threat. They'll turn it in to a game for them while we're just trying not to panic. This is why we say 'Welcome to the madness' hehehe

Glad everything worked out for you.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024