Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I am too nervous to try introductions! #1417689
09/28/18 10:43 AM
09/28/18 10:43 AM
NC
S
Saladmander Offline OP
Saladmander  Offline OP
S

NC
Hi! Here's the story: I adopted my first sugar glider, a young female, from an acquaintance who no longer wanted her about a year and a half ago. Skye is good natured but on the energetic side. I always felt badly that she was an only child, but it was all she ever knew and she seemed fine. We have been quite happy.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a friend who does animal rescue and rehoming. He had taken in two gliders (from different people) and asked if i would be interested in taking them to be friends for Skye. After much debate and a lot of research, I decided to go for it. My main concern at the time was that one glider was a 3 y/o male. However, after getting to know "Stuart" I have yet to see any evidence of that (no head or chest patches, no apparent marking behavior, and I have not seen a pom). I have been gradually working on bonding with the new kids individually and it is going pretty well.

The two newbies are still in their small separate cages and I would love to let them into my large cage with Skye. But I am terrified. Twice I have taken Skye and Lucy into the tent together in their pouches, but have been too afraid to let them out together and only have let one out at a time. Skye is SO EXCITED and wants to get into the pouch with Lucy. She latches onto Lucy's pouch and claws at it. I think she is just excited, but I can't tell for certain it isn't aggressive. Lucy doesn't really seem upset about it, but I can't say for sure. Even if it is just enthusiasm, I don't want Lucy to get overwhelmed. Skye is much more interested in Stuart and Lucy then they are in her.

I have read some very helpful advice and stories here about introductions and I sure do appreciate it. I guess I am most interested right now about any insight as to differentiating between enthusiasm and aggression; how fast or how slow to take things; what to do if they DO end up fighting; really I am feeling overwhelmed. I really want them to all be happy together and I would appreciate any support or suggestions! Thank you!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: I am too nervous to try introductions! [Re: Saladmander] #1417690
09/28/18 11:15 AM
09/28/18 11:15 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Saladmander
My main concern at the time was that one glider was a 3 y/o male. However, after getting to know "Stuart" I have yet to see any evidence of that (no head or chest patches, no apparent marking behavior, and I have not seen a pom).

It is very possible that Stuart is a neutered male with pom off when it was done.

Originally Posted By: Saladmander
Twice I have taken Skye and Lucy into the tent together in their pouches, but have been too afraid to let them out together and only have let one out at a time. Skye is SO EXCITED and wants to get into the pouch with Lucy. She latches onto Lucy's pouch and claws at it. I think she is just excited, but I can't tell for certain it isn't aggressive. Lucy doesn't really seem upset about it, but I can't say for sure. Even if it is just enthusiasm, I don't want Lucy to get overwhelmed. Skye is much more interested in Stuart and Lucy then they are in her.

It certainly appears that Skye is very interested in having some new friends by her actions. In addition, I think the lack of any very aggressive behavior from Stuart and Lucy is a good sign.

Because you have had Skye as a lone glider, I completely understand your wanting to make sure there are no mistakes with introductions.

Have you read this Article: How To Introduce Gliders To Each Other ? I think it will help you and give you some confidence with the introductions.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: I am too nervous to try introductions! [Re: Saladmander] #1417691
09/28/18 03:40 PM
09/28/18 03:40 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I was terrified to intro Stewie with the girls too!!! I was fine with it till it came to "the day".

When I did intros with the girls after 30 day quarantine, all went really well. They were about the same age, but Dot out weighed Fiona x2.

Stewie had a little more growing to do before I started intros. My girls are 4years old and Stewie was about 4 months old. This is his story:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...wie#Post1417091

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 09/28/18 03:41 PM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: I am too nervous to try introductions! [Re: Saladmander] #1417763
10/08/18 11:52 PM
10/08/18 11:52 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
Still have not put mine together. I am not sure I want them all in the same cage-unless I get a much larger cage!
Back to you...how are your little ones doing?

Last edited by Claralice; 10/08/18 11:52 PM.

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males
Re: I am too nervous to try introductions! [Re: Saladmander] #1417767
10/09/18 01:03 PM
10/09/18 01:03 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I do need to update...

Dot and Stewie still get into scuffles at dinner time.

Dot's food aggression is at a peak right now. Stewie lately has caved in and now stays in the pouch with Fiona. The more I intervene, the worse it gets.

Other than food, all is well. Last night I tented both dishes so they can't watch each other eat. I'm giving that a few days to see how it goes. So far Dot calls them to her dish, makes a weird hiss and they go back to the pouch... When she's full she goes back to bed and holds both of them in there with her.

They still play, but Stewie is wary. He has taught Fiona to play with him too. She now enjoys his company...

If hiding the dishes from sight doesn't work, I will have to pull corn out of the salad mix again.

We are working nights so I'm not home to observe them every night. No one has been injured, and I try not to show sympathy. That makes Dot upset too...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: I am too nervous to try introductions! [Re: Saladmander] #1417769
10/09/18 03:53 PM
10/09/18 03:53 PM
NC
S
Saladmander Offline OP
Saladmander  Offline OP
S

NC
Hi everyone! I decided to let Lucy and Stuart be in the same cage for the first time while I deep cleaned the habitats the other day. I did it during the early afternoon while they were sleepy and it went very well! Stuart explored Lucy's cage briefly when I popped him in there, and then went right into her pouch. She didn't make a peep. When it was time to do that cage I simply moved the pouch into Stuart's. I am so proud of them! I separated them for the night, however.

Dawn, I hadn't even thought about food aggression until your posts. More to worry about -- but good to be prepared. I hope that Dot will calm down about that!

I am feeling pretty good about L+S being safe together. Next step will be to try tent time with one of them with Skye, the wild child. Thank you guys so much for your support!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024