Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417812
10/12/18 10:39 AM
10/12/18 10:39 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
shakehead

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417814
10/12/18 03:35 PM
10/12/18 03:35 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted By: Littlecityfish
With birds you have to cook anything with Oxalic acid (Kale, Spinach, Purslane, etc.) because it prevents them from actually absorbing any of the calcium from the plant. Do I have to do this with gliders too?

No, gliders require the calcium.

There is a calcium to phosphate ratio(2:1) that has been carefully thought through for gliders. Raw kale is very important not only for the calcium, but for other minerals too.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417816
10/12/18 04:15 PM
10/12/18 04:15 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
This is a very good article about many of your questions. It is pretty long, but full of truthful facts about sugar gliders. It's not an article you should just "skim" through for the facts. It is designed to help you make responsible and thoughtful decisions where gliders are concerned. They are a unique creature that deserve a permanent responsible and loving home.

Please read this article and be honest with yourself. The decision to care for gliders will carry over into your adulthood after college. They deserve at least an hour of your undivided attention out of your day every day for their lifetime. Which could be for up to 15 years. Another perspective: You should spend at minimum of 5975 hours in the span of 15 years to their attention and that doesn't even count cleaning,food prep, shopping, vet visits, or their general care. Are you realisticly in a position today to make that choice for your/ their future?

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=want_a_glider

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417817
10/12/18 05:39 PM
10/12/18 05:39 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
Oh, I meant the Oxalic acid prevents them from absorbing any calcium and cooking it breaks the bonds the acid has on the calcium. And I just read the article and I still want them. Every week either on Saturday or Sunday I have an animal day. I clean all the cages/pens/aquariums and observe to see if anything seems off with any of the animals. This week it's most likely going to be on Sunday but if I start at around 11:00-12:00 it only takes me until 2:30-3:00. Adding a bird into there maybe 3:30-4:00. And then adding sugar gliders 4:30-5:00. Almost all of my animals are going to be going with me into my adulthood. I could give them all the time they need after 9:00. I'm usually up to 11:30-12:00, so I assume that would give them enough time with me. I have contacted 1 of the vets so far and they do deal with Gliders. And as I said before I won't be getting them for another 2-3 years so when that time comes I'll see if I'm in a position to get a couple and care for them properly. Right now though, I'm gathering as much information as possible in preparation for that day.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417820
10/12/18 06:38 PM
10/12/18 06:38 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
The Critterlove diet has been tested and the salads were put together under the direction of a nationally known animal nutritionist.

None of the Critterlove salads have spinach, that is very high in Oxalates. We also don't recommend feeding spinach.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417822
10/12/18 07:21 PM
10/12/18 07:21 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
I see, I didn't know that. I thought kale and spinach were at about the same levels. Good to know.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417823
10/12/18 07:38 PM
10/12/18 07:38 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
There's an option to buy chicken pellets along with the complete formula, but there's not direction on how to feed them. If I go with them how would I?

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417826
10/12/18 10:40 PM
10/12/18 10:40 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Colt,

The chicken pellets (& the other pellets sold on Peggy's website) are meant as a dry supplement in addition to the Critterlove mix+salad meal. It's there to give them some options & as a daytime snack if they wake-up between meals. It isn't intended to necessarily be an integral part of the diet. I always leave a small amount of pellets in a separate dish inside the cage (my little turds prefer the fruity one) & they'll occasionally have a bite or two. I put a heaped tablespoon a night in there for my four & most of the time have plenty left over the next night.

You're asking good questions for the early prep & gathering the right information. I would encourage you to check out some of the blog-style posts several members have under "Talk & Travel" to get a sense of living with gliders. There are several members (myself included) who chat about these zany things that took over our lives & can give you a picture of the ups, the downs, & the "What... the... huh?" moments. Before finally taking the glide myself, those tales helped cement my decision that these critters would be a good fit for me.

There really isn't any perfect anything when it comes to these fuzzbutts. Find a cage of sufficient volume for the colony size you desire... then go just a little bigger if you're able to afford it. Powder-coated, 1/2" bar spacing, large opening to get accessories in & out are all necessary features of the cage. Most anything else is negotiable. Mine like height over width & bars on the roof, others may prefer wide & not give the roof a second glance.

Same idea with food. Critterlove is an amazing diet that has been thoroughly tested (& on-going) that was developed with the aid of an actual vet nutritionist... but if your furballs don't like it, it is a terrible diet -for them-. Just realize you may do all this careful research & decide 'this is the ONE!' only for them to go 'nah.' So, have plan #1 (I also endorse & use Critterlove Complete, if you couldn't tell, lol), but research others just in case. Same with toys, cage accessories, play time, play style... you get the picture. Along with diets, treats are good things to use to your advantage (yogurt drops aka yoggies, dried bits of fruits, pine nuts, small insects, honey, parts of their dinner, tip of your finger, etc.) to help with bonding, playtime, & just to put them in a happy-clicking mood.

Speaking of bonding, it cannot be emphasized enough that it WILL GO SLOW & the only one with a say in -how slow- are the beyond cute ones in fur coats. Sorry, no, it won't help for you to run out & buy a fur coat, they still win for cutest & therefore outvote you (just ask Gwynevere, she reminds me daily). It's something we've all learned to live with as a fact of life with gliders. It will go slow, there will be setbacks, you'll be certain you're getting nowhere & doing everything wrong... then one day they'll jump from the safety of the cage to you, be upset you couldn't play with them more, & you'll know why gliders are awesome.

Well, maybe not so awesome when they're mad you're not playing with them enough... especially at 0200... on a work night... when you have to get up early. These critters can be LOUD when they want to be. You'll have many thoughts of them being less than awesome right at those moments, but like toddlers, the cuteness is also a natural defense until you're able to play with them again & they show you how much they miss you... by re-marking all over you to claim you as theirs. Okay, that part isn't any better than it sounds, but you'll at least know they think you're a keeper. It's the thought that counts, right? Refer to the cuteness-survival-factor again.

Seriously though, I don't find mine are much of what I consider 'work' compared to other animals (exotic or domestic) that I've had. That doesn't change the fact they demand a lot of your time (& I do mean in a general sense & the literal sense they'll make demands). For me, it's been worth it & wouldn't change a moment. Mine helped me through many rough spots during dark times in my life, largely because the bonding works both ways; you belong to them as much as they'll belong to you. (Well, you may belong to them more than they belong to you. Opinions vary depending on whether you're the glider-owning-human or the human-owning-glider.)

If you've put up with all this rambling & are still interested, it is a good sign they may work for you. Keep learning, keep asking questions, & keep an open mind. Remember, like the government, we're here to help! Only, we mean it... & won't tax you. Anyways, look forward to having you around these forums!

Oh, I almost forgot: WELCOME TO G.C.!!!!

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417830
10/13/18 12:10 AM
10/13/18 12:10 AM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
Thank for responding with so much information! I don't know, but reading that made we want a colony a lot more lol. And thank you for going everything, I assumed the pellets were just going to act as a "got the munchies" kind of thing. I'm thinking I want 2-3 and I have been looking at a lot of cages on all kinds of different websites. Now that I *think* I have the #1 diet down, I'm going to start looking for a backup. Any recommendations on where to start? I guess the bonding kind of goes like birds. I know I say that a lot, but it's true, a lot of things are the same as birds. With birds, especially rescues, it can take them an extremely long time for them to warm up to you. And birds behave like toddlers most of the time lol. And I doubt they could be as much work as keeping up 4 fish tanks lol. Now THAT takes a lot out of you. And I was showing my mom a video of a Glider barking, and she was saying I'm never getting any, but she'll change her mind once I actually get some smile.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417833
10/13/18 07:34 AM
10/13/18 07:34 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Thank for responding with so much information!
But wait, there's more! Hehe. I found an old link I used to do a lot of research: SunCoast Newsletter Archives

I don't know, but reading that made we want a colony a lot more lol.
Most of us glider-addicts are a straight-jacket waiting to happen, so I fully understand, lol!

Now that I *think* I have the #1 diet down, I'm going to start looking for a backup. Any recommendations on where to start?
There are a couple other popular ones including BML, TPG, and some others I can't remember. I didn't start with CL Complete, I was using Lisa's SunCoast diet which worked well for me for the first year & I go back to at times when I've had trouble getting everything to follow Peggy's CL diet plan (I was overseas). I almost switched to Priscilla Price's The Pet Glider diet, but after the nutrition study came out, I was sold on CL. There are many posts under "diet & Nutrition" that have a lot more details for you to consider.

And I was showing my mom a video of a Glider barking, and she was saying I'm never getting any, but she'll change her mind once I actually get some smile.
Just remember, Karma usually comes back to haunt you for not listening to one's mother wink If you show her all the other videos of them playing & looking adorable, you stand a good chance of converting her... as long as they don't become 'A Pet Too Far.'

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Hutch] #1417834
10/13/18 12:53 PM
10/13/18 12:53 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Everything Hutch has told you is true +10.

Truthfully gliders cannot be compared to any other animal, IMO. You may think there are some similarities when it comes to picky eaters and bonding UNTIL you actually have them. Then you will find they are truly an animal unto their own.

Depending on the size of home you live in, remember gliders are truly a nocturnal animal, and they can get loud with that cute barking. Not to mention playing with their toys and running in their wheel/s.

Some people have no problem sleeping through all that while others are very light sleepers making it a problem for them (like your mom wink ).

Colonies sometimes have all night gab sessions agree

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417836
10/13/18 01:08 PM
10/13/18 01:08 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
I'll look into all of those diets, and my mom said she didn't want me to get fish tanks, but now she's in love with them and said I cant ever get rid of them lol. She's a pretty light sleeper, but I'm not. Even so I'll probably have the cage in my "animal room" which is just a room connected to my room with french doors. It's where I keep my gecko, but I plan to get more animals in there. I also have a separate room for my fish tanks but there not enough room in there for another cage because we built specifically with the tanks in mind. And every time I try to refresh the page it gives me a 500 error and says that I have to wait, and it usually takes an hour or so to go away.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417838
10/13/18 01:13 PM
10/13/18 01:13 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Quote:
And every time I try to refresh the page it gives me a 500 error and says that I have to wait, and it usually takes an hour or so to go away.

We have had a major hurricane, Michael, and many information highways are being rerouted through other servers that are normally in the effected area. I have also gotten that error message a few times this morning.
It is just something we learn to deal with whenever there is bad weather or any major storm. It will eventually work itself out.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417842
10/13/18 03:32 PM
10/13/18 03:32 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
That makes sense. I just got back from the farmers market with my mom and there was a lady there selling organic raw honey. A big tub for $20. If I choose to go the CL plus route that would be good. Is the CL plus a complete diet? It says that it's to boost protein intake, is that just for gliders that need more protein? Or can it be used as a staple diet? And can I use coconut oil to scramble the eggs?

Last edited by Littlecityfish; 10/13/18 03:33 PM.
Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417844
10/13/18 04:42 PM
10/13/18 04:42 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
Never mind, I just added up the cost and the complete formula is cheaper in the long run.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417848
10/13/18 05:52 PM
10/13/18 05:52 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
my mom... She's a pretty light sleeper, but I'm not. Even so I'll probably have the cage in my "animal room" which is just a room connected to my room with french doors.
At last house, I kept them downstairs in the opposite corner of the house. Even if I closed my door, if they really wanted my attention, they sounded like they were in my room, over quiet music.

Just a heads-up.

Most of the time, they're not an issue, the only noise is their playing. When even one of them is of the mindset... sleep-interuptus-maximus

Your mileage... er... glide-time may vary.

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Ladymagyver] #1417849
10/13/18 05:53 PM
10/13/18 05:53 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
I thought gliders liked height over width?? I know they enjoy moving around a lot during the night, but I thought they liked to get up high where predators couldn't reach them? That they disliked being toward the ground any longer than they had to be? I own both a Brisbane Cage and a Congo Cage. I got the Congo Cage thinking my guys would like more room to leap and jump around at their leisure. Was I incorrect to buy this cage?

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417850
10/13/18 06:28 PM
10/13/18 06:28 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
I think the height over width thing depends on the gliders themselves. From what I've gathered some like wider cages some like taller. So if yours seem content in the taller cage I think they're fine. But I'd still get help from someone a lot more experienced because I don't actually have any gliders... Yet...

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417856
10/13/18 09:45 PM
10/13/18 09:45 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
Actually the plus formula might work. In the tub I think there's 12 cups of honey. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of the powder, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 cup raw honey, 1 tbsp bee pollen, and 3 scrambled eggs. I have unlimited eggs, a big jar of bee pollen would last a long time, and the big tub of honey would last a long time. I'm assuming that making it on those directions will last about a week. The tub of honey would give about 8 servings. So that would last quite some time. For 3 gliders it said the 1 pound bag of powder will last roughly 2 months. The big tub of honey would also last that long if each making lasts a week.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417857
10/13/18 09:47 PM
10/13/18 09:47 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
CL also sells bee pollen in 8 oz containers. That is 16 tablespoons, so that should last longer than necessary.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417858
10/13/18 09:51 PM
10/13/18 09:51 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Oh they are tree dwellers. They love high. But they are also jumpers. My newest glider Stewie showed me that. After he got is bearings in his new quarantine cage, he leapt to all four sides and looked at me cocked his head and as if to say... " Is that it? Really?"

They need width space for jumping. They wouldn't be happy with a short cage on the floor. But they would be happy with their cage high on a dresser.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Ladymagyver] #1417859
10/13/18 09:56 PM
10/13/18 09:56 PM
Illinois
A
AlyCatz Offline
Out of Pouch
AlyCatz  Offline
Out of Pouch
A

Illinois
Would you say the Congo Cage is okay though? They love to use their wheel (located toward the bottom of the cage) to a point I don't think they mind that the width of the cage isn't as wide as it could be as long as they are maintaining their running speed and getting a good workout! Lol.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417860
10/13/18 10:27 PM
10/13/18 10:27 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Actually the plus formula might work. In the tub I think there's 12 cups of honey. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of the powder, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 cup raw honey, 1 tbsp bee pollen, and 3 scrambled eggs. I have unlimited eggs, a big jar of bee pollen would last a long time, and the big tub of honey would last a long time. I'm assuming that making it on those directions will last about a week.

A 1 pound bag of Critterlove Plus would last 8 months for 2 gliders.

The tub of honey would give about 8 servings. So that would last quite some time. For 3 gliders it said the 1 pound bag of powder will last roughly 2 months.

A 1 pound bag of Critterlove Plus would last 5 months and 1 week.

The big tub of honey would also last that long if each making lasts a week.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417862
10/13/18 11:16 PM
10/13/18 11:16 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
It lasts that long!? I thought I was going to have to be ordering powder in every month. Of course I'm going to have to buy more honey, bee pollen, and fruit/veggies. Although it's still going to be a lot. So going the plus route, it's going to be about $370 dollars every 5 months. 1 tub of honey will last about 2 months, so I'll need 3 of those within 5 months, 2, 8 oz jars of bee pollen should last 5 months, and then the fruits and veggies are about 50 dollars a month. So actually now that I do the math again, the complete might be the cheaper route... If I do the complete route it will only be about $300 every 5 months. $50 for the powder (+ the snack pellets) and $250 for fruits/veggies.

Last edited by Littlecityfish; 10/13/18 11:17 PM.
Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417863
10/14/18 12:54 AM
10/14/18 12:54 AM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
Oh wait, since you feed double the amount of complete as plus would it only last 2 1/2 months? If we're still doing the 5 month range, it will be $100 for the complete and $250 for fruit and veggies. It's still cheaper than the plus... $350 for complete $370 for plus.

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417867
10/14/18 12:28 PM
10/14/18 12:28 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I haven't sat down to do the math, but if you are planning on only 2-3 gliders, the money you are quoting sounds very high to me. I would think people would be complaining all over the place having to pay that much dunno

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417871
10/14/18 12:57 PM
10/14/18 12:57 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
It's not. CL is sold in dry weight. The measurements to mix are in liquid measure. Big big difference.

I have the 2 lb bag of CL plus I bought in June, it's still over half full.

I feed 3. It's cheaper than the complete to feed. Even with the added ingredients.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: AlyCatz] #1417873
10/14/18 01:04 PM
10/14/18 01:04 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted By: AlyCatz
Would you say the Congo Cage is okay though? They love to use their wheel (located toward the bottom of the cage) to a point I don't think they mind that the width of the cage isn't as wide as it could be as long as they are maintaining their running speed and getting a good workout! Lol.

It's plenty big for a large colony. Stewie is the exception to the rule. I think he came oop running and jumping. He never stops!!! Now gliding is his fav pastime when he's allowed have out of cage time. He likes to ambush passerbys... Lol!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Littlecityfish] #1417879
10/14/18 06:50 PM
10/14/18 06:50 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Oh wait, since you feed double the amount of complete as plus would it only last 2 1/2 months? If we're still doing the 5 month range, it will be $100 for the complete and $250 for fruit and veggies. It's still cheaper than the plus... $350 for complete $370 for plus.

A 1 pound bag of Critterlove Complete would last 3 gliders 2 months.

You do not feed twice as much, it is 1 tablespoon of Critterlove and 2 tablespoons of salad for each glider at night.

With the numbers of gliders we are feeding here I order 10 pounds at a time and it should last with my gliders, the sanctuary gliders and the rescues 2 months. That doesn't include what my clients purchase.

Critterlove is one of the most tested diets out there for sugar gliders. Peggy is always testing not only the glider, but the powder to make sure our pet gliders are getting the optimum diet that they need.

I personally know that there is a diet study, as every so often I will get the call for more blood work from my glider for the diet study. With my numbers she gets a nice amount to do several tests.

A couple years ago a diet study was done that was funded by the sugar glider community and several diets were tested. You can find out more about it, with links to the articles Here (click here). You can also learn more about the Sugar Glider Foundation by clicking Here.

Just a couple of side notes on the diets:

Which ever diet that you choose you should feed it according to how it is written. For example, BML (Bourbon's Modified Leadbetters) diet is very strict. You are only allowed to use certain fruits and vegetables, that is because of the high calcium content in the staple portion of the diet.

DO NOT ADD additional protein to any diet, to much protein is hard on the gliders kidneys and liver. Your protein source for your gliders comes mainly from their staple (some does come from their fruits and vegetables).

diets like Critterlove Plus or Complete or BML are all your glider needs besides love. What I like most is with the Critterlove you are allowed a little freedom to give them some fruit that you only see when it is in season. Such as Lychee fruit, we will get enough for one to be shared by 2 gliders they get it once a season as a rare treat.

Do as much research as you can before you get gliders, they are a lot more work than a hamster or a gerbil. They are as much work if not more than a parrot and I have 3 parrots and a guinea pig besides the parrot and my friend has her cats here too.

Kimberley

Re: Thinking about getting sugar gliders [Re: Anonymous] #1417881
10/14/18 07:10 PM
10/14/18 07:10 PM
Utah
L
Littlecityfish Offline
Out of Pouch
Littlecityfish  Offline
Out of Pouch
L

Utah
If it's less expensive then would I be better off going with it? How long does one batch usually last for 3 gliders? A week or so?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 520 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,658 TEXAS
679,107 OHIO
487,230 OKLAHOMA
432,232 UTAH
321,758 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024