Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
One of pair died #1418094
10/30/18 11:02 PM
10/30/18 11:02 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline OP
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
Have been sick the past couple weeks so hadn't been playing close attention. When I went to feed my pair today, I noticed the cage really smelled foul. After close inspection, I found one of the two laying in a corner. From the smell, I'd guess he's been dead for 2-3 days.

I looked around for the other one, panicked when I couldn't find him at first but then found he'd chewed a hole in the pouch and crawled in between the walls. He is alive but I can't tell much more until he comes out. I'm going to guess he's lonely, possibly traumatized by being alone for the first time in his life.

I moved the survivor's pouch over to my spare cage so I can clean and sanitize the main cage. My big question is ... what do I do for the survivor? I'm not even sure at this point which one it is -- and that's important because one of them was friendly with new gliders, the other not so much.

Assuming it's the friendly one, do I try to get someone else's older orphan to get a close age match or do I try to get a couple babies? If it's the ornery one ... I don't know what to do.

I bagged the dead one and put it in the garage. Not sure if a necropsy will be useful at this point. FWIW, he should have turned 9 roughly last month. These two are my first 2 gliders, obtained from the much despised (but not to be named) mill in Texas.

Nala, Ronald & Reuel (formerly Eladio & Petal) :plat:
Judah :rbridge: Anson :rbridge: Lele :rbridge: Laki :rbridge:
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418095
10/31/18 06:42 AM
10/31/18 06:42 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
First I'm so sorry for your loss.

One good thing is your single glider had a chance to say goodbye. He knows what happened.He wasn't abandoned.

Do you have another pouch?

If so fill with blankies (4" squares of fleece) that you have rubbed on you. That will give him something to hold and smell when he sleeps.

Next a vet check to make sure he's OK.

Did you notice any bite marks on the deceased glider?

Watch him, keep him comfy, make sure he is eating and drinking. Try the tent test to make sure of hydration. Give some favorite juicy fruits too.

Keep him with you if you can a few hours a day and try interaction in the evening. Start with some lickey treats like honey, yogurt on a small spoon, or a favorite treat. Do you have any foraging toys?

Please keep us updated and ask any questions you may have.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 10/31/18 06:44 AM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: One of pair died [Re: Ladymagyver] #1418100
10/31/18 03:09 PM
10/31/18 03:09 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I agree with everything Dawn has said.

I am not sure at this point a good necropsy could be done. You would need to check with your vet about that to be sure.

As for the remaining glider, I would do as Dawn has suggested until you can determine which one is left. This will also give it time to adjust before you decide whether or not to bring another one into the home.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418103
10/31/18 05:40 PM
10/31/18 05:40 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline OP
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
Thanks for the suggestions. I did swap pouches and managed to give th survivor some yogurt treats in addition to the papaya and sweet potato today. The slices of papaya and sweet potato were fresh so I know he's been eating them.

It may be anthropomorphizing but the poor thing looked sad and lonely today. He did seem fully hydrated. All he wanted from me were the yogurt treats then he crawled back into his pouch.

I didn't notice any bite marks when I bagged him but will inspect closer later today.

The more I think (and smell) about it, I don't think a necropsy will be useful. I'm going to conduct a small cremation ceremony in the backyard then lay the ashes in with the roses.

I believe the survivor is the one that was acting ornery when I took in the Hawaiian rescues but I'm wondering if he would react differently to females as new companions, especially now that his "brother" is gone. I'm a bit worried about him getting lonely now and there is a pair of females in the local area looking for a new home -- also a single female but I was thinking the established duo might be a better idea in case I end up having to keep them in separate cages.

Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418105
10/31/18 06:33 PM
10/31/18 06:33 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Did you get him out of the old pouch, if not just cut one end and force him out so he doesn't get anything wrapped around a digit or a leg.

A vet visit is in order to make sure he is healthy, specially if your going to get him a buddy. Seeing as they are up in years I suggest getting two middle aged females for him.

The other one could only have been dead a short time, it is amazing how fast their little bodies break down. I had one die a while back, they were all fine when I went to work, but when I got home I would smell death when I walked into their room. If the temperature is warm enough they can smell in a short time, I was only gone 10 1/2 hours.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418107
10/31/18 08:26 PM
10/31/18 08:26 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline OP
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
He's in a new pouch in the spare cage. I have a wellness check scheduled for Friday morning. The vet agreed that a necropsy at this point is probably pointless so I'll be conducting a cremation ceremony in my fire pit in the backyard as soon as I can.

Thanks for the timeline. It's possible then that Anson died Monday morning. I know I fed them yogurt treats on Friday. Afraid with my own illness, I just put food out over the weekend and wasn't really looking in on them but I first smelled something "off" Monday night. Odor wasn't strong so I just thought the new sweet potato gave them bad poop or something. Last night, it was really strong which is why I looked harder and found Anson. He hadn't decomposed much but the odor was so strong I assumed he must have died Saturday or maybe Sunday.

Have a line on two younger females (about 3-4 years old vs. 9) but really not going to make a decision on that until I get the wellness check done, cage sanitized, and have had a chance to check his behavior. Am also open to releasing him to someone else looking for a cage mate but it seems to be easier to adopt someone else's than to try to place a 9 year old single.

Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418113
11/02/18 12:08 PM
11/02/18 12:08 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline OP
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
vet gave him a clean bill of health although she said she's starting to see signs of aging. She said 9 is getting to be elderly so she wasn't too concerned about Anson's death, especially as Judah seemed to be pretty healthy otherwise.

He seemed a little off his feed the past couple of days, a little depressed and not terribly active but he's been more active this morning. Very vocal with yips and barks and another kind of call that I haven't heard much off. No one else at work knows but I have him in the office with me today since I came straight from the vet.

One thing I was considering as I contemplate his loneliness: if I do get him some companionship, perhaps I should try to bring in a pair or triplet? I'd be a bit worried about him getting on in years and then stranding another singleton. Most of the rehoming requests I see are about 3-4 years old.

Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418114
11/02/18 12:17 PM
11/02/18 12:17 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Glad to hear about the vet check.

Normally a pair is recommended for the very reasons you have given.

Keep us updated on what you decide. We are here to help you on your journey.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418121
11/02/18 06:27 PM
11/02/18 06:27 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Glad to hear that the vet check went well.

When I get gliders in to my rescue that are older than 6 or 7 they tend to stay here. You never know how long they will live for a multitude of reason, number one being it is very hard on an old glider to switch slaves and homes.

I have had older gliders come in and one died with in days from the stress. Another came in at the age of 9 or 10 and lived another 4 years and she was hedoublehockeysticks on wheel.

Please keep us posted on your glider and the new ones that come in to keep him happy.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: One of pair died [Re: Paani] #1418128
11/02/18 09:16 PM
11/02/18 09:16 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
There are a few members here who have chosen to keep their elderly glider a single. New cage mates can be stressful too.

You will have to watch him for signs of stress. Give him things to do at night. Like foraging. Maybe hide some of his fruits and vegetables around the cage.

Over grooming is a good sign of stress. But spending more time with him will help.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: One of pair died [Re: Ladymagyver] #1418150
11/04/18 07:12 PM
11/04/18 07:12 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline OP
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
Did you notice any bite marks on the deceased glider?

Because of the smell, I didn't examine him closely when I pulled him from the cage and bagged him. His facial expression looked peaceful, if he didn't smell and wasn't stiff, I'd have thought he was sleeping. At the time, I didn't notice any bite marks or bodily damage but as I said, I didn't examine him closely.

I was cleaning out and sanitizing the cage this weekend and discovered blood stains on the plastic dropping tray right about where I found his body so I'm guessing now that perhaps he self-mutilated, probably on his underside where I wasn't looking. I don't know what would have caused that and never will since I cremated him today.

On the bright side, the main cage is now clean and sanitized, ready to go back after it dries off a bit, and Judah was active on his wheel yesterday.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024