Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Glider Owner and Confused #1418404
11/26/18 11:23 AM
11/26/18 11:23 AM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA
I'm a crazy researcher type person. So my kiddo just got 2, 9 month old gliders. One is the creamy, and the other is the traditional "badger" looking one. Our creamy girl is really friendly, where-as the other is very wild acting (I did get her to take a treat from me today 😁) what I'm soooooo frustrated about is all the contradictary information out there. People like myself don't stand a chance on getting it right. So in a YouTube video I was watching, she did mention "glidercentral.net " (she appeared to seem truly knowledgeable) so I'm here and hoping to learn all about gliders... correctly.

We are following the 'BML' diet. After preparing ahead of time, they don't seem too interested. I then start reading up on diet, and everyone seems to say this diet is good, then someone else will say "no, that's not good to feed your gliders." I have seen websites with veterinarians, but then found out they are in some way affiliated with Pocket Pets. So what the heck!? I truly have been trying and trying to educate myself (so I can help my daughter with any questions as-well) but one person says one thing, and another says something else. Even veterinarians are all saying different stuff.

I've offered the girls different types of vegies in the 5 days we have had them, and I don't think they are eating them. The premade mash type stuff we made up according to the BML list, doesn't seem as if they are eating much? What I want to know, is how much should I expect them to eat each night?

Maybe my food expectations are high? I have 2 amazon parrots and I pre-make their food and then freeze it. It consists of about 10 different vegis, beans, and rice (or noodles). Could I also give this to them?

I'd appreciate any insight on helping me learn the proper foods and diet so we have happy and healthy gliders😊

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418406
11/26/18 11:47 AM
11/26/18 11:47 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
First, let me say :welcomegc: . As you have probably noticed, I moved your first post to our diet & Nutrition Forum since your questions are primarily about that topic.

Let me gather my thoughts, and I will be back shortly.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418407
11/26/18 12:05 PM
11/26/18 12:05 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted by Sledgurl
I'm a crazy researcher type person. So my kiddo just got 2, 9 month old gliders. One is the creamy, and the other is the traditional "badger" looking one. Our creamy girl is really friendly, where-as the other is very wild acting (I did get her to take a treat from me today 😁) what I'm soooooo frustrated about is all the contradictary information out there. People like myself don't stand a chance on getting it right. So in a YouTube video I was watching, she did mention "glidercentral.net " (she appeared to seem truly knowledgeable) so I'm here and hoping to learn all about gliders... correctly.

You are correct in that there are many different opinions regarding the care of gliders. Diet is probably the most debated topic there is in the glider community, so I fully understand how you must feel.

We are following the 'BML' diet. After preparing ahead of time, they don't seem too interested. I then start reading up on diet, and everyone seems to say this diet is good, then someone else will say "no, that's not good to feed your gliders." I have seen websites with veterinarians, but then found out they are in some way affiliated with Pocket Pets. So what the heck!? I truly have been trying and trying to educate myself (so I can help my daughter with any questions as-well) but one person says one thing, and another says something else. Even veterinarians are all saying different stuff.

The BML Diet Plan is fed by many and has been around for a very long time with little change in the recipe. It is the most restrictive on what veggies/fruits you can feed with it. Other feeding plans are not so restrictive on the fruits/veggies giving gliders more variety and choices.
I've offered the girls different types of vegies in the 5 days we have had them, and I don't think they are eating them. The premade mash type stuff we made up according to the BML list, doesn't seem as if they are eating much? What I want to know, is how much should I expect them to eat each night?

Remember - choosing a good diet is only half the battle. If your glider doesn't eat it, then you need to find another one. If you are referring to the premade mash stuff as the BML itself, some gliders don't like it while others do. In the BML Recipe it gives you the portions per glider to be fed at the bottom of the page.

Maybe my food expectations are high? I have 2 amazon parrots and I pre-make their food and then freeze it. It consists of about 10 different vegis, beans, and rice (or noodles). Could I also give this to them?

No, see my post directly above about feeding instructions.

I'd appreciate any insight on helping me learn the proper foods and diet so we have happy and healthy gliders😊

If you are wanting more variety in the veggies/fruits, you might look at the Critterlove products where you choose one of the salads. Many people use the Critterlove Coplete and their gliders love it.

Hope this hasn't confused you more and has been of some help.

Last edited by KarenE; 11/28/18 11:01 AM.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418418
11/26/18 07:28 PM
11/26/18 07:28 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Karen is right, if you want more variety in your sugar gliders diet, Critterlove is the way to go. All of my gliders are on Critterlove Plus with the recommended salad mixtures. There are 5 salad mixtures you rotate through.

I run a rescue and think that Critterlove brings the really ill, thin or malnourished gliders around faster.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: KarenE] #1418424
11/27/18 07:03 PM
11/27/18 07:03 PM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA
Originally Posted by KarenE
First, let me say :welcomegc: . As you have probably noticed, I moved your first post to our diet & Nutrition Forum since your questions are primarily about that topic.

Let me gather my thoughts, and I will be back shortly.

Hahaha, I questioned if I should have created in the nutrition forum, but figured it being my first thread and I just joined. So thank you for moving it accordingly.

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418425
11/27/18 07:10 PM
11/27/18 07:10 PM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA
I made the BML diet myself. Meaning I gathered all the needed items and blended; placing in ice trays. I really dont think they are eating much. I just got in touch with this local group; asking if they had the needed food. I was told to give them cat food and some fruits and vegies. I'm dying over here😓 so stressed out and confused

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418430
11/27/18 08:28 PM
11/27/18 08:28 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Hi! Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!

Granted we are having some server issues with Sugar Glider Help (SGH), but if you click on the highlighted word diet it will take you to the database with all the diets.

I started out feeding BML and my gliders quit eating it, so I did HPW, now known as Critterlove Original. Now I feed the Critterlove diet plans where the powder is made in the US.

There are five salad (fruits and vegetables) mixtures that you rotate through and Critterlove Plus or Critterlove Complete is your stable. There is a wide variety that you can feed. Check it out at Critterlove.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418431
11/27/18 10:35 PM
11/27/18 10:35 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
I started with a poor diet but very quickly moved to BML then to Critterlove. The difference is amazing. My gliders gobble up every scrap! It is a great diet and they are soft and healthy looking. I highly recommend you order it and give it a try!

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males
Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418433
11/28/18 07:40 AM
11/28/18 07:40 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hi! And :welcome: to GC!!!

I can still remember my own struggle with diets in the beginning. That's why I joined this forum to get the run down on what was the best diet and current information on glider care. I'm still here to help others and I've made good friends here along the way, and am still learning new tips and tricks for better glider care.

I chose Critterlove and their salad mixes too after trying other diets.

I'm really happy you chose to help your child give proper care to their gliders. There is a lot of misinformation out there, and some old information that others have learned the hard way about.

Since gliders can live up to 15 years, it's important to have a great diet, a safe environment, stimulation/activity, and of course a good relationship with their slave too.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Ladymagyver] #1418434
11/28/18 11:02 AM
11/28/18 11:02 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I edited my original reply above as I see I didn't proof as closely as I thought I did. No real content changes though.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418494
11/30/18 09:55 AM
11/30/18 09:55 AM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA
I’m so overwhelmed, but thankful for the advice. Now I’m kinda more confused as I’m reading. So let me back up a little...researched things; deciding to do the BML diet. We bought all ingredients needed making up a batch prior to getting them. As I’ve mentioned these girls apparently where on the Hpw diet. Didn’t think it mattered, but I felt they weren’t really eating it or the other items I gave them, so I Spoke with the gal we got them, and she expressed they are used to the HPW diet only. I ordered the mix for this diet, but it’s not going to be here until the 7th. In the meantime they started eating it like crazy. So I’m super happy! I chalk it up to the transition of a new owner, place , and new cage.

So fast forward to now... I decide (I’m one of those continunual researchers) to check out on mixing up both the diets. With that I see that the BML diet, you can only give a certain type of fruit and vegies alongside. It was my understanding if you did, let’s say the bml diet, you would give them some fruits and vegis alongside, changing it out continually. If you are supposed to stick to a very limited list, then how can you chang up their fruits and vegis?

Here is what I fed the girls last night, which I thought was ok... their main food which was pre-made (BML) kiwi, mandrian orange, honey dew, Watermelon, cooked acorn squash, zucchini, spinach leaf, Avacado, and a hard boil egg. I wanted to give them a variety of things, especially because they have been so stressed out.

I guess I’m feeling so cluless even though I’m reading, reading, and reading.

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418496
11/30/18 10:23 AM
11/30/18 10:23 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
So fast forward to now... I decide (I’m one of those continunual researchers) to check out on mixing up both the diets. With that I see that the BML diet, you can only give a certain type of fruit and vegies alongside. It was my understanding if you did, let’s say the bml diet, you would give them some fruits and vegis alongside, changing it out continually. If you are supposed to stick to a very limited list, then how can you chang up their fruits and vegis?

Here is what I fed the girls last night, which I thought was ok... their main food which was pre-made (BML) kiwi, mandrian orange, honey dew, Watermelon, cooked acorn squash, zucchini, spinach leaf, Avacado, and a hard boil egg. I wanted to give them a variety of things, especially because they have been so stressed out.

I am glad to hear they have started eating the BML, however, you should not feed them BOTH the BML and HWP at the same time. I mean you you should not alternate them. If your gliders are eating the BML, then stick with that one.

These are the veggies/fruits that you can feed with the BML. The ONLY ones.
Vegetables: corn, peas, carrots, green beans.

Fruits: apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, frozen pitted cherries, blueberries.

You can switch them out by offering only one or two of each per night. Then offer a different selection the next, ect.

By feeding them what is not on the list, the balance of the diet is thrown off. Gliders really need less of a variation than WE do wink If YOU are uncomfortable with what you can give them, then the BML is not for you.There are others out there much less restrictive.

Please don't feel bad. diets for these darlings is one of the most frustrating parts of owning them . Count your blessings if your gliders are not picky eathers agree

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418497
11/30/18 11:30 AM
11/30/18 11:30 AM
indiana
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Glider Explorer
BYK_Chainsaw  Offline
Glider Explorer

indiana
I’m so overwhelmed, but thankful for the advice. Now I’m kinda more confused as I’m reading. So let me back up a little...researched things; deciding to do the BML diet. We bought all ingredients needed making up a batch prior to getting them. As I’ve mentioned these girls apparently where on the Hpw diet. Didn’t think it mattered, but I felt they weren’t really eating it or the other items I gave them, so I Spoke with the gal we got them, and she expressed they are used to the HPW diet only. I ordered the mix for this diet, but it’s not going to be here until the 7th. In the meantime they started eating it like crazy. So I’m super happy! I chalk it up to the transition of a new owner, place , and new cage.

Hi sledgurl.

My wife has rescued gliders (we are at 11 now, 15 was our max.), we get them usually in 2 or 3 each time. About the time we got to 6 we were on the
OHPW diet (same thing as critterlove PLUS) with the fruits and veggies on the side. The one thing that seemed consistent, we would put the new gliders
on the NEW diet. They would eat the OHPW and NOT touch the fruits and veggies, NOT even the corn (most gliders love corn). It seemed to take up to
SEVERAL MONTHS at times for them to start eating the fruits and veggies. First the corn, then later the peas, then finally start eating the green beans
and other items. the gliders still don't eat the fruit all that much. But in the end they started eating it, it just seemed to take forever, every night throwing
out untouched fruits and veggies.

John and Charlene
Gizmo :grey: / link :bb: / Sophie :wfb: / Riggs :grey: / scarface :grey: / gus :wfb:
Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: KarenE] #1418505
12/01/18 12:15 PM
12/01/18 12:15 PM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA

I am glad to hear they have started eating the BML, however, you should not feed them BOTH the BML and HWP at the same time. I mean you you should not alternate them. If your gliders are eating the BML, then stick with that one.

Fruits: apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, frozen pitted cherries, blueberries.

You can switch them out by offering only one or two of each per night. Then offer a different selection the next, ect.

By feeding them what is not on the list, the balance of the diet is thrown off. Gliders really need less of a variation than WE do wink If YOU are uncomfortable with what you can give them, then the BML is not for you.There are others out there much less restrictive.

Please don't feel bad. diets for these darlings is one of the most frustrating parts of owning them . Count your blessings if your gliders are not picky eathers agree

I just got the "Sugar Glider HPW diet with fruits and veggies." I think I'll switch them to this one, because the BML seems so Restrictive, and I dont know if I like that. I have two amazon parrots, which get bored with the same fruit and vegies diet, so I'm always changing up things. I'd like to utilize what I buy for my parrots, then the produce doesn't go to waste. Unfortunately my birds cant eat the stuff fast enough, before spoiling.

So what do you guys think? Sound ok? I really want to do this right.

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: KarenE] #1418506
12/01/18 12:22 PM
12/01/18 12:22 PM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA

I just got the "Sugar Glider HPW diet with fruits and veggies." I think I'll switch them to this one, because the BML seems so Restrictive, and I dont know if I like that. I have two amazon parrots, which get bored with the same fruit and vegies diet, so I'm always changing up things. I'd like to utilize what I buy for my parrots, then the produce doesn't go to waste. Unfortunately my birds cant eat the stuff fast enough, before spoiling.

So what do you guys think? Sound ok? I really want to do this right.

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418507
12/01/18 12:36 PM
12/01/18 12:36 PM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA
Another question now with this HPW food... see attached pictures, but the directions also mention to add "glider complete" alongside this HPW food. So I thought when I ordered... well I thought this with the BML, and the HPW you fed them the main food with a variety of fruits and veggies. But now I'm hearing differently on the forums (which you guys get kudos from me). What needs to be added with is food I bought?

I am desperately needing to know exactly what I need to do with this HPW diet? I'm so worried I'm hurting them by not giving them the correct diet. And you should hear some of the stuff people have told me (of course not from here), which is why I've voiced my frustration.

Attached Files
20181201_082718.jpg (65 downloads)
20181201_082905.jpg (64 downloads)
Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418509
12/01/18 01:26 PM
12/01/18 01:26 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Where did you buy this? I cannot tell from the picture, but is this by any chance an Exotic Nutrition product?

ETA: The Critterlove link I posted for you in one of my early replies above is the where I meant for you to go. The creator, Peggy, srlb here, never recommends feeding two staples (HPW plus Complete) together. That is why I asked where you purchased the one in the picture. Her packaging is also very different.

Last edited by KarenE; 12/01/18 01:43 PM.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418511
12/01/18 03:11 PM
12/01/18 03:11 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
Be careful if you feed the jar. I purchased this product when I started trying to figure out the glider diet but it was moldy inside. I also have completely switched to critterlove. I did the BML but mine ate sparingly so I switched. My four are shiny eyed and silky haired now. I would not ever go back. The BML with fruit and veggies is fine, not sure how I feel about the exotic nutrition foods but I love all my critterlove products!

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418517
12/02/18 11:51 AM
12/02/18 11:51 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I wish you had run that purchase past us before you bought it. First I would not use any of their food for my gliders.

The Instant HPW (powder) has been analyzed and what is in the bag doesn't not match up with what is printed on the bag.

Plus that stuff in a jar is just plain scary.

If you want a staple that you can just add water too, go with Critterlove Complete and switch between her 5 salad mixtures.

Just a note, I got a case of that in with a rescue. I opened a jar of it and it smelled like wet cardboard. The cats came in for a sniff and it was barely a sniff and they were gone.

Kimberley

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418580
12/05/18 11:15 AM
12/05/18 11:15 AM
Helena Montana USA
S
Sledgurl Offline OP
Sledgurl  Offline OP
S

Helena Montana USA
Ohhhhhhh man, I'm so bummed! I feel like I'm throwing away all my money here. It is unbelievable how many inconsistencies are out there? I bought this before I saw everyone mentioning the critter love. When I got it, the reviews where pretty good. I figured I'd buy this stuff first because I didnt have I ingredients like bee pollen, or honey (honey I know I can get locally) figured that would work for 'right' now

Can I ask you guys this. Not to sound bad, but being I'm not working right now because of me being in an accident, money is tight. So with that being said, I NEED to get this figured out asap. What is the cheapest, yet healthy powder for the HPW diet? I will hold off on ordering until I hear back. Is it the "critterlove?"

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418581
12/05/18 11:27 AM
12/05/18 11:27 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Critterlove Plus.

Kimberley

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418583
12/05/18 12:32 PM
12/05/18 12:32 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
Critter Love Plus is easy and convenient!

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418592
12/05/18 04:31 PM
12/05/18 04:31 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I think you can order a sample pack. I'm not sure if it's a full batch though.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New Glider Owner and Confused [Re: Sledgurl] #1418593
12/05/18 07:26 PM
12/05/18 07:26 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
If you order a sample pack you get enough Complete to make one batch and enough Plus and Bee Pollen to make a complete batch of Plus.

Kimberley

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024