Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Glider Mom #1418943
12/26/18 01:39 PM
12/26/18 01:39 PM
NJ
J
justsayjulie Offline OP
justsayjulie  Offline OP
J

NJ
We brought 2 female gliders into our family almost a month ago. One was pretty quick to bond with us and the other, well not so much. We are being patient and steady with her and sometimes i think we are making some progress. Then she'll bite me (hard) and i feel like we've lost it. But we will keep working with her and we will get there.

Both girls are pretty picky with their eating. They pick at the 24/7 pellets, barely touch the insectivore pellets (3 X a week) and don't touch the HPW (3 X a week) at all. They love their apples though and I've started giving those in the morning with hopes that they will eat more of the other stuff at night. I actually just placed an order at critter love for new food and hopefully they'll like the new healthier food better.

After about 2 weeks i tried giving them a carrot rather than apples. They ate it but had runny orange poop for a couple of days after that. Since then they seem to have runny poop every couple of days and we're not sure why. They seem to be acting, sleeping, playing normal and their eating hasn't changed. I'm hopeful that with the new food they'll become more regular again.

One question i have, they like to drop pieces of their apples down into the bottom/litter section of the cage and then they scoop their little hands down and grab a piece when they want one. Could that be making them sick? Any suggestions on how to prevent them from doing this?

Thanks in advance, very thankful to have a forum to get information and help when needed!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New Glider Mom [Re: justsayjulie] #1418945
12/26/18 02:54 PM
12/26/18 02:54 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
First, :welcomegc:

Originally Posted by justsayjulie
Both girls are pretty picky with their eating. They pick at the 24/7 pellets, barely touch the insectivore pellets (3 X a week) and don't touch the HPW (3 X a week) at all. They love their apples though and I've started giving those in the morning with hopes that they will eat more of the other stuff at night. I actually just placed an order at critter love for new food and hopefully they'll like the new healthier food better.

After about 2 weeks i tried giving them a carrot rather than apples. They ate it but had runny orange poop for a couple of days after that. Since then they seem to have runny poop every couple of days and we're not sure why.

I am very glad you have ordered Critterlove because these gliders need to be on a steady, every day, consistent staple along with veggies and fruit. I'm sure that is why they are having some running stools. There is not much consistency in their diet.

What were they eating when they came to you? How old are they?

Peggy, the creator of Critterlove is with her family for the Holidays so it may be just a bit before she starts shipping again. In the meantime I would suggest that you offer them ONLY the HPW along with some veggies and fruit. Are you making up the HPW yourself? If so, where did you get the recipe?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions at once. Just want to help you get these two sweet gliders on the right path wink

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Glider Mom [Re: KarenE] #1418946
12/26/18 03:37 PM
12/26/18 03:37 PM
NJ
J
justsayjulie Offline OP
justsayjulie  Offline OP
J

NJ
We are feeding them the diet that the store gave us which is what they were on while there. They were 8 weeks out of pouch when we got them on 12/1. The diet is one type of pellet, which they have access to 24/7, then they get HPW Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Insectivore pellets Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday along with fruit every night (now morning.) The only change is the one time i gave carrots instead of apples.

All of the food is Exotic Nutrition brand - Glider complete pellets, Instant HPW (powder that gets mixed with water) and insectivore-fare. I also have a water bottle and a water dish, both have half plain clear pedialyte and half water. This is all per the instructions given to us by the exotic animal store where we purchased them.

Thank you so much for responding! I need all the help I can get to keep the girlies healthy!

Re: New Glider Mom [Re: justsayjulie] #1418948
12/26/18 06:31 PM
12/26/18 06:31 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Ahhh, Exotic Nutrition.

I recommend taking them off the Exotic Nutrition stuff, I and several others do not recommend buying food from exotic nutrition. Their Instant HPW has been tested and what is in the bag is not reflected on the bag label.

Until you get your sample of Critterlove, I would give them chicken or scrambled eggs as their protein with mixed vegetables and fruit. You can even mix up one of the salads on the Critterlove web site. https://www.critterlove.com/salad-mixtures

:welcomegc:

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New Glider Mom [Re: Feather] #1418949
12/26/18 06:44 PM
12/26/18 06:44 PM
NJ
J
justsayjulie Offline OP
justsayjulie  Offline OP
J

NJ
Thank you! Is it ok to just flat switch them right away? I know with my cat the vets recommend gradual change. Also is that diet (temporarily until the critter love comes) ok for their young age? I ordered the complete and salad mix from Critter love but probably won’t get it until late this week at the soonest.

Re: New Glider Mom [Re: justsayjulie] #1418951
12/27/18 01:00 AM
12/27/18 01:00 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I switch right away, when a rescue comes in to my rescue they get put on my diet the first night. I have only had one glider in 9 years of rescuing that gave me trouble with switching to my diet.

She was fed canned chicken, avocado and yogurt every night. I finally ended up pouring the Critterlove Plus over her favorites so she had to eat some of that. A week after starting that protocol she was on my diet.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New Glider Mom [Re: Feather] #1418962
12/28/18 11:20 AM
12/28/18 11:20 AM
NJ
J
justsayjulie Offline OP
justsayjulie  Offline OP
J

NJ
Originally Posted by Feather
Ahhh, Exotic Nutrition.

I recommend taking them off the Exotic Nutrition stuff, I and several others do not recommend buying food from exotic nutrition. Their Instant HPW has been tested and what is in the bag is not reflected on the bag label.

Until you get your sample of Critterlove, I would give them chicken or scrambled eggs as their protein with mixed vegetables and fruit. You can even mix up one of the salads on the Critterlove web site. https://www.critterlove.com/salad-mixtures

:welcomegc:

Just wanted to thank you again! I've been feeding them scrambled egg with a little turkey mixed in the past 2 nights and apple in the morning. They have eaten every bit of the eggs and turkey, more than they've eaten since we got them. I haven't noticed any runny poop at all either and they actually seem a little more perky. Looking forward to getting my critter love order but VERY happy to see them eating well in the interim!

Re: New Glider Mom [Re: justsayjulie] #1418963
12/28/18 11:28 AM
12/28/18 11:28 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Good to hear they are eating more. You can also add some mixed veggies. Any of your grocery or discount stores will sell small bags in the frozen veggie section. Those will be fine until you get your Critterlove products. This will also give you an idea of what veggies they do like.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New Glider Mom [Re: justsayjulie] #1418974
12/29/18 03:03 PM
12/29/18 03:03 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
Mine love Critter Love and it seems to have them in great health-shiny eyes, soft coat and firm consistent stools for as long as I remember! The BML worked as well but they would "pick at it at times" not the case with the Critterlove diet!

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 545 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,635 TEXAS
679,102 OHIO
487,225 OKLAHOMA
432,221 UTAH
321,741 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024