Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) #1419783
03/17/19 08:23 PM
03/17/19 08:23 PM
Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA
C
Chase Offline OP
Chase  Offline OP
C

Hey there, my names Chase. I recently purchased two gliders from TPG and am receiving them on the 29th of this month. Needless to say we are all excited. I've been doing a lot of research the last few months and finally decided to join a forum now that they're getting here and I still have a few unanswered questions. I'm already an exotic pet owner, however it's a reptile. I promised my son a chameleon a couple years back and last year he held me to my word. We ended up with a Jackson's Chameleon and I found out really fast, that I didn't do near enough research and didn't even know what I was getting myself into at that point. I rose to the occasion and did my research on him albeit a little late, and have given him an amazing home and have had him illness free. He requires several different supplements at different times through the month and an insectivore diet. I know that sugar gliders are exotics and have very complex diet requirements as well and am prepare with all that. The black face beauties that I got (neutered male and female, siblings 5 months old) have been fed TPG diet which I will stick to unless problems arise.
I do have bonding questions however.
1. I was told to leave them in their cage and not handle them for 5 days. Input on this?
2. After those five days, can I just put then in a bonding pouch and carry them with me for a few days to get to know me? How should I go about this?
3. Should I have a separate pouch for each glider, or get one bonding pouch that they can both fit inside?

I have a ton more questions, but don't want to overwhelm on my first "hey how ya doin" thread. I'm eager to learn from all of you experienced owners. Thanks in advance for any input.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1419786
03/17/19 08:40 PM
03/17/19 08:40 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
First, :welcomegc:

Originally Posted by Chase
Hey there, my names Chase. I recently purchased two gliders from TPG and am receiving them on the 29th of this month. Needless to say we are all excited. I've been doing a lot of research the last few months and finally decided to join a forum now that they're getting here and I still have a few unanswered questions. I'm already an exotic pet owner, however it's a reptile. I promised my son a chameleon a couple years back and last year he held me to my word. We ended up with a Jackson's Chameleon and I found out really fast, that I didn't do near enough research and didn't even know what I was getting myself into at that point. I rose to the occasion and did my research on him albeit a little late, and have given him an amazing home and have had him illness free. He requires several different supplements at different times through the month and an insectivore diet. I know that sugar gliders are exotics and have very complex diet requirements as well and am prepare with all that. The black face beauties that I got (neutered male and female, siblings 5 months old) have been fed TPG diet which I will stick to unless problems arise.
I do have bonding questions however.

1. I was told to leave them in their cage and not handle them for 5 days. Input on this? That is good advice, they need time to get used to the new smells and noises in their new home. They have just been taken from what they have been familiar with their entire lives.

2. After those five days, can I just put then in a bonding pouch and carry them with me for a few days to get to know me? How should I go about this?
3. Should I have a separate pouch for each glider, or get one bonding pouch that they can both fit inside? Do you have a bonding pouch? You will just carefully squeeze them from their sleeping pouch into the bonding pouch. Be careful that they don't escape. I recommend getting some remnant fleece from JoAnn's Fabrics, cut them into 4x4 inch or 5x5 inch blankets and wear them inside of your clothes to get your scent on them. After a couple days put that in their sleeping pouches.

I have a ton more questions, but don't want to overwhelm on my first "hey how ya doin" thread. I'm eager to learn from all of you experienced owners. Thanks in advance for any input.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1419787
03/17/19 08:46 PM
03/17/19 08:46 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hi and :welcome2: GC!

Letting them get used to their surroundings the first few days is the best idea. Before you put them in their cage, you might want to get some clean fleece and cut into 4" squares. Tuck them under your pillow or in your dirty laundry to get your scent on them and slip a couple into their sleeping pouch. This will let them sleep with your scent and help get used to you.

I didn't do well with a bonding pouch with one of my two at first. I fed them treats through the cage bars, read and sang lullibies to them.

Bathroom or tent time after a week or two helps a lot. Most gliders only tolerate being held and would rather jump on and off you at their pace. You can take some tissue and a couple of feathers to interact with them and a couple of treats to encourage them to trust you. Keep your movement slow and voice soft.

Both should go into the same pouch together. They will comfort each other during the bonding process. Try not to handle them while moving into the bonding bag. Use a larger piece of fleece to cover your hand so they don't associate your hand with the bonding bag. They can also bite the fleece and it won't hurt. Depending on how long you plan to have them in a bonding bag, you may want to offer a couple of apple slices while they're in there.

I feed Critterlove. TPG is a popular diet.

Please ask away, and I hope this helped!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1419993
04/07/19 01:27 AM
04/07/19 01:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the info guys. We ended up picking up our little guys up on the first at 1 in the morning before a hour and a half drive home. When we got to the airport the woman told me she hadn't heard a peep or felt any movement and suggested I open the crate to check on them there. They had been in transit for 14 hours by then. They had peed and it had gotten cold but they were fine. I put them in their pouch on my lap for the drive home to keep them warm. I thu k that ride back made them get used to my scent pretty quick too. We named the male Zyzz and the female Bheazus. I'm still having a hard time telling them apart but think I have it down now. Today is the second day in the binding pouch. they both came out, crawled on my hand to say hi and took treats from me. They let me Pet them, heads tummies tail and all. My son tried to approach them and they crabbed. Indigured I would bond with them and make sure theyre comfortable with me before rushing everyone else. Is that good thinking? I have them on the TPG diet and they seem to like the first batch I made for them okay. I'm gonna make a batch every week, freeze servings in ice cube trays and vacuum seal the different recipes in the fridge so we have variety. They seem to like feathers for interaction toys with me. Any other toys gliders like a lot?

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1419994
04/07/19 01:29 AM
04/07/19 01:29 AM
C
Chase Offline OP
Chase  Offline OP
C

That last post was mine, I forgot to log in.

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1419996
04/07/19 04:05 AM
04/07/19 04:05 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Wow! sounds like you had a successful first day! Introductions to the rest of the family will take a little patience and time. They can try giving treats while you're holding them. Also try petting them while they are distracted with a treat.

Slow movements will also calm them too. They don't care for sudden loud noises either.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1419999
04/07/19 10:08 AM
04/07/19 10:08 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Congratulations!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1420000
04/07/19 01:44 PM
04/07/19 01:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you! Last night it was about eleven and they still hadn't come out. So I called to them the same way I always do and they both jumped out of their pouches and came to me! I'm so excited they're connecting with me so well and so fast. I feel like we're good little friends already. I'll try how to figure out how to post some pics so you guys can see them.

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1420001
04/07/19 01:45 PM
04/07/19 01:45 PM
C
Chase Offline OP
Chase  Offline OP
C

Ugh, that was me again. Lol. I checked the "keep me logged in box" so hopefully I won't do that again.

Re: Heya folks! I get my first gliders on the 29th =) [Re: Chase] #1420005
04/07/19 10:13 PM
04/07/19 10:13 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
We could just talk an Admin into changing your name to 'Anonymous' so nobody would notice wink

Congrats on the furry additions!

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (KarenE), 341 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,571 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,159 UTAH
321,680 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024