Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New owner Bonding #1423447
04/11/21 05:12 PM
04/11/21 05:12 PM
Longmont
E
Echo Offline OP
Echo  Offline OP
E

Longmont
If any of you have any advice for bonding that would be amazing. I have read that you need to not pick them up and just leave their pouch in there and take it out in the morning to wear, and about tent time, but how can you do tent time without physically taking them out of the pouch? I have also read about giving them some yogurt on the tip of your finger to help with bonding.

ANy advice/tips and tricks is greatly appreciated

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New owner Bonding [Re: Echo] #1423448
04/12/21 02:05 AM
04/12/21 02:05 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Start with reading this post: Building a relationship with your glider.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New owner Bonding [Re: Echo] #1423449
04/12/21 06:12 PM
04/12/21 06:12 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Time and patience.

You can coax them out of the pouch by turning the lights down low. If the room is bright, they won't be real interested in exploring.

Treats help and toys, or feathers ( cleaned and natural colors) to play with them. They love to chase or hunt them with your help smile

First few tent times, don't be surprised if they just hang out on your back. They are learning to trust you

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New owner Bonding [Re: Echo] #1423450
04/13/21 11:30 PM
04/13/21 11:30 PM
Longmont
E
Echo Offline OP
Echo  Offline OP
E

Longmont
Thank you Dawn. I am so pleased, they are already letting me pet them! what are the things that determine when you are bonded?

Re: New owner Bonding [Re: Echo] #1423456
04/15/21 12:57 PM
04/15/21 12:57 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted by Echo
Thank you Dawn. I am so pleased, they are already letting me pet them! what are the things that determine when you are bonded?

:urwelcome: wave

As far as knowing if you are bonded, I've learned there are a few "layers" to that. Also gliders are unique individuals, so that may vary.

The best I can do to help you understand, is give you some examples of my experiences. They were/are all different.

My first glider Fiona, bonded completely within 2 weeks. But I didn't realize that right away. She was a single glider during this time. When she was tired, she would allow me to tuck her into the hem of my t-shirt while she slept. But when full awake would rather perch on my shoulder or climb into my shirt than be held. She ordered to spend time with us alone over her cagemate most of the time.

Just so you know, most gliders don't care to be held down or in your hands...

Dot was the exact opposite. I won't get into the details, but it took about 9 months for her and I to acknowledge that she has boundaries. She would only tolerate being held for a very short time when she was tired. Nail clipping was a nightmare for 2 years. She was bonded to her cage. She would tolerate being put into a bonding pouch as long as Fiona was with her. That took about 6 months of work. Fiona knew Dot's boundaries and came to my rescue a few times protecting me from her bites in the first year. In the last two years of her time with us, she would rather sit with a pile of mealies to have her nails trimmed, than be held to accomplish the same thing. No bites...

Stewie was a handful when we brought him home. Super hyper doesn't even describe what he was like... But it didn't take long to learn that he watched me. My guess would be that he started trusting us at about 16wks oop (He just turned 3yrs old) That he was trying to learn what to do. That he had feelings. We didn't work real hard on bonding due to the circumstances.(way long story) Fiona and Dot have since passed away, and he was a single for about 5 months. He grieved each of them passing. They died 5 months apart. He learned his name at about 3 months out of pouch, and I think he was learning to trust us about the same time. Today, he comes most of the time when called, we allow out of cage playtime and when we ask him to go back to the cage, he goes. He's still hyper, but can calm down. He still doesn't like to be held, even when he's tired. But will ride around in a bonding pouch all day. He also sits like a good boy to have his nails trimmed... I do get lightly nipped once in awhile.

Gracie is still a work in progress... She's 7 months old and full of energy. She refuses to get in (or stay in) anything that zips up. She is not treat driven like the other three were. I'm guessing it's her age and hyperness. She has no fear of the unknown. Just jumps right to it. She likes to bite, but she's curious. The end of my thumb is her favorite target. She's smart, she's learning things from Stewie, and I've just started pulling their sleeping pouch out in the afternoons and watching TV while they sleep. Grace will not stay in a pouch by herself, Stewie has to be with her. As far as nail clipping, she has to go into a pouch made of pet screen and I clip her nail tips off as they stick through the pet screen. This has been a blessing for both of us... The other 3 gliders were too stressed to use that pouch.

My advice would be to keep up the tentime, accept what they are willing to offer for now, stay on a bonding schedule.(Gliders do better with a schedule with all areas, dinnertime, cleaning, bonding, and playtime).

Decide how bonded you really want to be and devote your time accordingly. The more bond you want, the more time you'll have to put in.

Oh, and last but not least: if your vet allows you in to the office to be with your gliders, take advantage of that. Get a well check. Your gliders will appreciate you more when the doc is done. They learn you are their "safe place". That's what bonding is all about...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024