Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BITERS!!!!! #157431
10/14/06 10:22 PM
10/14/06 10:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have only had my two gliders for about a week and a half now. After they wake up they want to eat and go to the bathroom but after that they want out of their cage. They are falling over themselves to jump onto me so they can come out and play. Once out they play together for a while then inevitably get bored with that and jump on me and start biting anywhere they can sink their teeth in. It's not out of fear at all, they know it's me and they choose to come get on me. It hurts so bad! They've been getting shorter and shorter out of cage play times every night because I can't stand the pain when they start coming after me and I can't leave them unattended either. I tried the psst sound and all that...no effect. Can I use bitter apple and if so has it actually worked for anyone?

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157436
10/14/06 10:29 PM
10/14/06 10:29 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
This sounds like what Gidget did when I first got her! She was older (8 months) and her breeder used gloves if she had to handle her, so she was not used to human skin. She also HATES the bonding pouch, so that didn't work for us, either. A week and a half is a very short time yet. Maybe you should let her 'bond' more with you before taking them out where they can get to your skin that way? Do you wear them during the day? Together, or seperate? Gidget would not bite me if I had to grab her, but same as you, on her own casually walk over to me and nail me and draw blood! Never acting scared, but more like she just wanted to do it! It was very frustrating! I think she needs more time to just get used to you (from a bit of a distance). Using scent patches, bonding pouches, etc.

Good luck and don't give up hope!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: pappy1264] #157438
10/14/06 10:34 PM
10/14/06 10:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have 4 gliders, two of which went through an adolescent biter phase. Romeo is just now getting over his. It is so frustrating when you love them so much and they bite you so hard you have to MAKE yourself take them out of the cage. It sounds like you have one just going through a phase too. If they are not angry biting, it is probably that adolescent thing and it will pass. It is just really annoying until it does. I did find that especially with Romeo, I cannot grab him. I hold out my hand and let him step onto me. There are times when I have to grab him if he runs down my leg and across the carpet or something. When that happens I know I am going to get bit but I try to not scream or get rough when putting him back into the cage. I have learned to recognize when they are ready to bite and I find if I blow really hard on top of their heads it will deter them from actually following through with the bite. Other than patience and time, there isn't a whole lot we can do until they just get past this frustrating time. But, because we love them, we take it. LOL.

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: pappy1264] #157440
10/14/06 10:35 PM
10/14/06 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, I can't wear them during the day because I work full time in a lab. Badges to get in, no children or pets type environment. They bite when they are together and separate (they are 9 month old twin boys). I'll try giving them more things that smell like me and see where that goes. Right now they are both staring me down to come take them back out but I have bites all over me and don't want anymore!

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157442
10/14/06 10:37 PM
10/14/06 10:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1angel, how long does that phase last?!

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157446
10/14/06 10:47 PM
10/14/06 10:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You know, I teach all day and I can't really bond with the suggies...but when I get home from work, around 5 maybe, I will wear them around until about 8, and I will wear them all day on weekends. Even if you can fit an hour in here or there it will be really beneficial for them.

One of mine has been in a nippy phase too! It will get easier.

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157452
10/14/06 11:05 PM
10/14/06 11:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't know when "adolescence" starts, but Lucy is particularly fond of biting here lately. If I give her a treat, she will sit and eat the treat and let me pet her with no problems at all. But as soon as the treat is gone she goes for my fingers or hands - starts licking and then bites. I tried very hard to spend some time with her this morning when she was up, before she went to bed for the day, but got very frustrated when all she seemed to want to do was bite.

The pssst thing doesn't seem to work very well for me either - unless I say it really loud and the air from the "p" part gets on her.... that makes her pause....

I was very frustrated this morning and ended up not taking her out all day - which I usually do when I'm home - I carry her around all day in her pouch. And I can sit and hold her in her pouch, she curls up in my hand - and even from time to time while she's sleeping she will stir and lick my finger or hand... no bite.

Just not sure why she is biting so much lately.....

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157482
10/15/06 12:07 AM
10/15/06 12:07 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: LadyH
If I give her a treat, she will sit and eat the treat and let me pet her with no problems at all. But as soon as the treat is gone she goes for my fingers or hands - starts licking and then bites.

I would think this would have something to do with your fingers probably smell and taste like the treat wink Have you tried washing your hands (or if you're right there with them, wipe your fingers on a wet paper towel) after giving the treats so that you no longer smell/taste like them? It may cut down on the amount of biting...

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: BeckiT] #157486
10/15/06 12:18 AM
10/15/06 12:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought also that it might have to do with "left-over" smell or taste - and I usually wipe my hands off - but hadn't thought to use a wet towel - THANKS!

**Side note** After I posted about being frustrated and leaving her alone all day when I could have had her out in her pouch, I was browsing the site and stopped to read in the "Real Stories" forum...... and read several posts from people that have lost their babies. Lordy I felt so bad that I had ignored Lucy today, that I immediately got her pouch out and held her. I fed her some of her BML from my finger, which she licked - no biting at all - and I praised her and kissed her for not biting. Just kept feeding her by and til she didn't want anymore.(Am thinking she rather enjoys being hand fed) She did that "coo" sound - and then slept some more. I promised her I wouldn't be mad and ignore her anymore!

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157492
10/15/06 12:52 AM
10/15/06 12:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Awe, that is so sweet! Bribery is one of the best was to bond with your glider, that and lots of healthy, positive attention makes a lot of difference.
Angie

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157519
10/15/06 02:22 AM
10/15/06 02:22 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
Yes, gliders can go through a nippy phase. Also, they're sap suckers, so when you give licky treats, remember that. They'll lick the treat, then naturally want to chomp on the branch to draw more yummy sap. It helps to keep your finger replenished. thumb

If you haven't yet read this, you might find it interesting: Understand Your Biter. It applies mainly to gliders who have been rehomed and are fearful and bite, but it might help us retain our compassion when they do bite.

Also make sure you're not wearing any lotions or perfumes on your skin, or if they're used to your skin scent and you change soaps or shampoos, these might be a reason your gliders bite. When your gliders bite, also try distracting them, like with a feather teaser or something.

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: KattyM] #157558
10/15/06 09:43 AM
10/15/06 09:43 AM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
Kerri, are your boys neutered? If they aren't it could be hormones kicking in that is making their "terrible toothy teen" stage that much worse.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: KattyM] #157559
10/15/06 09:46 AM
10/15/06 09:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Katty for the reference. I had read that awhile back when I was working on my Suggie Education. I try to be careful like you pointed out with having things on my hands that might tempt her.

In this case, I think she was just wide awake and was trying to tell me in her own lovely way that she wanted a treat. She was quite convincing! haha

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157572
10/15/06 11:04 AM
10/15/06 11:04 AM
Ft. Pierce, FL
thefotokat Offline
Glider Slave
thefotokat  Offline
Glider Slave

Ft. Pierce, FL
Kerri,

There's no set time on how long their phases are. I've got 9 gliders, and they've all had their own "issues". I've got one that's a little over a year who will nibble on my neck if I'm wearing any kind of lotion. One of my 3 year olds will still give me a nip from time to time for no reason that I can see, but she has her days when she's more like a Tasmanian Devil than a glider. I try to view it as we all have our off days when we would like to bite someone...gliders just get to act on it! I know everyone says to be patient and that's really hard when you feel like a pin cushion. You said you work in a lab. I work in a dental office, and soome people tell me they can smell the chemicals/disinfectants on me. Maybe your little ones smell something on you that you can't smell? I usually rub my hands and arms with the instant hand sanitizer (I stick with the same brand so they get used to the smell)before I start to handle any of my groups. I also wear a long-sleeve fleece hoodie when I'm handling them so I'm pretty much covered. Good luck!

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: thefotokat] #157599
10/15/06 12:21 PM
10/15/06 12:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Neither of my boys are neutered so that may have something to do with it. I work with a lot of very smelly/hazardous chemicals at work so I always change clothes immediately when I come home but maybe they can still smell them on me and in my hair. I think I am going to try the suggestion of just carrying them for a few hours when I get home from work until they wake up. I don't know how that is going to go over though! Probably a good amount of crabbing, I know the previous owner never carried them around. From the way he talked it sounded like he would let them out and go about his business and then just try to locate them later so maybe I'm just a big curiosity because I remain in their prescence. I also will try the feather teaser distraction idea. Wish me luck!

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157711
10/15/06 04:30 PM
10/15/06 04:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

roflmao Don't ask me why I didn't think of this sooner, but I work at McDonalds..... maybe the reason she is biting me is because she wants fries with her mealies!!!!!!!!!

roflmao

Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: ] #157777
10/15/06 07:59 PM
10/15/06 07:59 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Gidget will 'bite' if you stick the tip of your finger out! I think she wants to 'suck' on it after to see what comes out! lol (Gee, wonder if her relatives come from Transilania!!! lol After all, Halloween is coming!)

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: BITERS!!!!! [Re: pappy1264] #159629
10/19/06 05:59 PM
10/19/06 05:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey thanks for all of the help with this. I've been trying all of the suggestions and it has done wonders. They rarely even start to nibble on me anymore. They still will bite my husband but he doesn't spend the time with them that I do and I can't convinve him to carry fleece around with him! Again, thanks for the help thumb

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024