Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) #157937
10/16/06 09:57 AM
10/16/06 09:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Poor Piper. We just can't seem to shake this diarrhea. She's been on metronidazole (Flagyl) since Wednesday when we had a positive fecal test for trichomonads. By Friday she was no better, and maybe just a little worse. I took her in and they subQ'd her because she was a little dehydrated and we started her on Baytril in addition to the metronidazole.

She felt much better after her subQ Friday night and ate better than she had for the previous two days (which had been almost nothing) but still had the soft poo. Yesterday (Sunday) I thought she was a little dehydrated again, so I did the subQ myself (the vet had sent me home with the stuff I needed) but was only able to get 2cc's in instead of the 4 I was trying for. That still seemed to help and she was running all over her cage last night and ate a decent amount.

But this morning when I had her wrapped in a piece of fleece to give her her meds, she pooped in the fleece and it was VERY runny. Probably worse than it's been up until now.

From what I understand, neither of the meds she's on has a tendency to cause diarrhea as a side effect, but I wanted to see if anyone had had this happen to them.

Has anyone else had a case of persistent diarrhea that did not respond to two strong antibiotics?

By the way, I had been feeding fruits like pears and apples and honeydew in addition to her PML and mealies, but after talking to MaryH last night, I cut out all fruit and gave her PML (which she ate all of), a flake of oatmeal (she likes those), sweet potatoes (she ate a little) and a dollop of yogurt (which I don't think she touched). Also on Mary's advice, I offered her a bit of cheddar cheese, but she had no interest in that. Also, I changed her water to Gatoraide to help keep her hydrated.

The dehydration is my biggest concern, especially after seeing that runny poop this morning. I can tell she's not feeling well when she starts dehydrating, but she won't drink for me, and I'm really not comfortable subQing myself (although I suppose I will get better at it). worried

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #157939
10/16/06 09:59 AM
10/16/06 09:59 AM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
Awwwwwwww, poor Piper. I see you've tried the oatmeal. What about canned pumpkin? Isn't that supposed to help with diarrhea?

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: glidrz5] #157954
10/16/06 10:39 AM
10/16/06 10:39 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
If she's not drinking on her own, you may need to force-feed either Gatorade or Pedialyte to her. I have been doing this with Cricky for the past 4 days now. It's similar to giving oral meds, but you give about .5 cc's of liquid via syringe, just a bit at a time, making sure she swallows. If she won't swallow on her own, rub her nose a little bit, this will make her lick her nose & in the process she'll swallow...
Keeping her & you in my prayers... hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: sugarglidersuz] #157972
10/16/06 11:11 AM
10/16/06 11:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Poor Piper!!! Poor you!!!

I am so sorry you are both going thru this.

In humans antibiotics can wipe out the beneficial intestinal flora and fauna and lead to diahrrea and gas. Active culture yogurt and activa sometimes help replacing it, but you have to keep feeding it while on antibiotic therapy as the meds keep wiping it out, so you are always playing catch-up. There are also some granulated replacement products available, but I am not sure of the brand names. I think Benebac is one, but ask a pharmicist or the vet. A pharmacist would know as they have to be refrigerated and are kept in the pharmacy fridge, although they do not require an rx. Health food stores also have "probiotic" products that serve the same purpose.

The pectin in red apples helps firm up soft poo.

Positive thoughts and prayer coming your way.

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158016
10/16/06 12:31 PM
10/16/06 12:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Im so sorry to hear about your baby. You might try some heavy protein like chicken, turkey, or even whey protein based shakes. Heavy protein drys up the lower intestine somtimes. I would not do mealies the high fa content might lubricate the lower intestine more. Or I might try a few more flakes of oats...?

If you find something that works, let us know. Hopefully the metro will take effect soon and help her.

note: Canned pumpkin is usually for constipation, not runny stools. Its high in fiber, thats all I am sure of.

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158028
10/16/06 12:43 PM
10/16/06 12:43 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: GliderGuru
note: Canned pumpkin is usually for constipation, not runny stools. Its high in fiber, thats all I am sure of.

Actually, canned pumpkin (plain, not pie filling) works for both constipation and diarehhea. My mom had a dog with constant stomach problems that had to spend his last 8 years eating pumpkin as the meds would take it from one extreme to the other where the pumpkin regulated it to where no meds were needed...

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: BeckiT] #158033
10/16/06 12:56 PM
10/16/06 12:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

humm, intresting to know, thanks, BeckiT.

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: BeckiT] #158037
10/16/06 01:03 PM
10/16/06 01:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks everyone. I just spoke to Dr. Brandt. We were discussing exactly what you said, angelskates. He also suggested the Benebac and of course yogurt.

So I guess we're going on the assumption that that is the reason for the loose stool: decreased natural intestinal flora due to antibiotics. He said to keep giving her both meds, try to force fluids, and watch her for dehydration, and to give her the yogurt, Activia (a brand of yogurt drink) and/or Benebac.

If it weren't for the loose stool this morning, I would have been very encouraged by the way she's acting and eating (somewhat). She seemed so lively last night that I was able to go to sleep with my mind sort of at ease. Then this morning when I saw the runny poop, I was bummed again.

Well, we'll keep plugging along. GliderGuru, I will try the chicken tonight along with what I mentioned above. Thanks.

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158111
10/16/06 03:02 PM
10/16/06 03:02 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
PK, Activia is a new brand of yogurt (not a drink) that has beneficial bacteria (active yogurt cultures) in it to keep you "regular" iykwim... Mine wouldn't eat it until I mixed some blueberries in it for them...

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: BeckiT] #158114
10/16/06 03:05 PM
10/16/06 03:05 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I am new to all this, but can't stress in and of itself cause diarrhea? Having to grab and hold her, plus doing the sub-q's, could that be causing it?

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: pappy1264] #158279
10/16/06 10:15 PM
10/16/06 10:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes Mary, you're right that stress could be contributing to it. I know that's not all of it though because the poops in the bottom of her cage have also been very soft, but formed.

Surprisingly, she seems more stressed by me forcing fluids and giving her meds than by getting a subQ. She doesn't really even flinch when the needle goes in. I just can't hold her and subQ her at the same time. I think their skin is not very sensitive over their shoulders because that's where the male tends to bite them during mating.

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158310
10/16/06 11:19 PM
10/16/06 11:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you are right about the skin on their shoulders. That is also where the babies hang on to the fur.

Activia is just like yogurt except it is cultured with a different bacteria. Sorry Im having a brain blank and cant think which one. It is listed on the container tho. Could be a bulgaris and another. well, anyway, it is a culture of flora and fauna that usually colonizes the colon or large intestine.

Yogurt is cultured from lactobacillus acidolpholus (sorry I just cant spell tonite) which is more prevalent in the small intestine. Since antibiotics kill off the flora and fauna in both locations it makes sense to offer both as replacement therapy. I believe the benebac and similar "probiotic preparations" include both types as well as other less prevalent but also beneficial organisms.

Pumpkin, apples and other fruits contain pectin (its what makes jelly jell), a water soluble fiber that holds moisture and adds bulk to the feces and therefore helps to regulate a bowel that has been irritated.

If the bowel is irritated (say by a food that is too acid) it quickly pours a lot of fluid into the bowel and dumps it all out.(diarhia) It also dumps out its flora and fauna. With no beneficial flora and fauna everything irritates the bowel and it continues the cycle. Pectin absorbs some of that water and slows things down a little, allowing the remaining beneficial flora and fauna to regenerate and return the bowel to a more normal environment.

However, if the flora and fauna have been killed by antibiotics, there are none left to regenerate and pectin by itself is not adequate to stop the cycle.

In the absence of beneficial flora and fauna, non- beneficial flora and fauna (such as botulism) will quickly fill the empty niche and produce toxins that can be absorbed into the body, produce other problems, and contribute to the general Not Feeling Well feeling.

Dont know about suggies, but in humans you need to continue the supplemented flora and fauna for about two weeks after termination of the anibiotic therapy to allow the bowel to recover.

Your suggies are so lucky to have you taking such good care of them.

We are praying for you.

Angel and The Suggies

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158318
10/16/06 11:33 PM
10/16/06 11:33 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
hug2 mlove

This long distance stuff stinks.. tant

Saunda... hang in there... hug2

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158325
10/16/06 11:46 PM
10/16/06 11:46 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: angelskates
Activia is just like yogurt except it is cultured with a different bacteria. Sorry Im having a brain blank and cant think which one.

the active live culture in Activia is bifudis regularis

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: BeckiT] #158362
10/17/06 01:16 AM
10/17/06 01:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks thanks

I knew it was one of those b.. names, I just hate when that happens.

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158368
10/17/06 02:07 AM
10/17/06 02:07 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
My daughter was on Flagyl about 2 weeks ago for a bacterial infection and had to stop taking it cause it caused severe diarreah and she couldn't go to school. Doc had to give her something else. I realize she is the human kind (sometimes, lol) but wanted to throw that in.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: SugarBlossoms] #158369
10/17/06 02:10 AM
10/17/06 02:10 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
One other thing, orange juice will make the diarreah worse too. Isn't that in the PML? Honey itself can cause either constipation OR diarreah especially if one is sick already. I'm speaking in human terms here but I would think it would be the same for animals. I cannot tolerate orange juice at all if I even have a cold (and it's supposed to help) cause I will get bad diarreah. frown

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: SugarBlossoms] #158426
10/17/06 08:52 AM
10/17/06 08:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OJ is in Priscilla's diet - not PML thumb

Sundra, I know with Petrie, he would have soft stools EVERY time I went to give meds. I took a stool sample into the vet everyday for about two weeks - and nothing EVER showed. But he would have normal stools while in his cage. To this day he still has loose stools whenever I have to clip nails too (which makes nail clipping all the more fun tounge ) - so I know he gets them when stressed.

Maybe a combo of the meds and stress (of being sick, a new home, etc.) are just a lot for her right now....

Either way, hoping she continues to improve hug2 for you and Piper!

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #158436
10/17/06 09:23 AM
10/17/06 09:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We use a medication called Ensorb from the vet in circumstances like this. It really helps with the severe watery stools when nothing else works, which we allways try first. I have had a few rescues that were on Flagyl after they got here and they all had the watery stools. Keeping you and your babies in my thoughts and prayers.
Angie

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159148
10/18/06 05:32 PM
10/18/06 05:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You guys are really wonderful! Thank you for the information about Activia. I didn't realize it was a different type of bacteria from what is in regular yogurt, so I will see about getting some.

Kristin, I agree that they can really go watery fast under stress. She did that at the vet's the other day (more watery than usual) and he said he thought it was probably stress that time.

Angie, I've got a call in to my vet about Ensorb. Is that a medication just to absorb the water in the gut, or is it another way to repopulate the bacterial flora in the gut? When I asked one of the vet techs about it, she said they had something called "biosponge" which sounds like the same kind of thing.

angelskates, thanks for all the great information. I may try some of those pectin containing foods. I think I have some canned pumpkin.

Last night I thought she was much better. She had a couple of formed stools that didn't seem as soft as they had been, and she was good about taking the Gatoraide/Glideraide mixture I've been offering her as well as yogurt. I actually didn't have to force the fluids anymore because she's taking it when I offer it from the water bottle while she's in the pouch. That's a relief because I hate forcing fluids and giving subQ's. She seems to be staying hydrated better now.

Anyway, as I said, I thought she was really truly on the mend last night, but then this morning, in addition to another formed stool on the wheel, there were also several totally watery (as in just brown water) drips under the wheel! tant I couldn't understand how she could have some good and some totally watery stools in just a few hours. I thought maybe she did the formed one on her Rescue wheel (open mesh running track) then peed right on top of it and the urine just "rinsed it off" forming these brown drips, but I don't know. My friend who's a vet tech said a rescue glider she had who got trichs was doing the same thing (watery and formed stools, back and forth). It seems I always feel confident she's getting better when I go to bed at night, only to wake up to either a full food dish (which was the case this morning, but she ate after I got up) or bad poops or dehydration. frown

So I'm still crossing my fingers that it's either a side effect of the meds or due to an imbalance of bacteria in the gut and that it will resolve when we're done with the meds and get her balance back. Several of the posts above do make me feel more confident that's what it is, particularly angelskates and SugarBlossums. thanks

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159161
10/18/06 06:16 PM
10/18/06 06:16 PM
Wallis Texas
Charlie H Offline
Glider Slave
Charlie H  Offline
Glider Slave

Wallis Texas
A home remedy that will work in certain situations is to scramble an egg in a little water and add some shredded chedder cheese. Blend the cheese in and serve the egg and ceese mixture as a protein source. This will sometimes safely tighten the gliders stool within 24 hrs. The cheese is what does the trick;...
Charlie H

Rescue & Rehabilation
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/glidertree/
[]glidertree@toast.net[/]
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: Charlie H] #159205
10/18/06 07:44 PM
10/18/06 07:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

lol, Charlie, Mary already told me that trick of yours when we were on the phone the other night, but unfortunately, Piper didn't seem interested in the cheese. I know I tried egg a few weeks ago and she also wasn't that interested in that either. She did finally eat her boiled chicken last night though. I may try cheese again tonight.

*edit: The vet called back and said Benebac is a good idea to try, but he didn't recommend doing the Activia because the bacteria in that is specific for humans and he wasn't sure if it would be good for gliders. He said the yogurt was still okay, but not to overdo it, and if she got worse on it, to stop. I think I'll try some more pharmacies for Benebac. I checked two Walgreens and they didn't have it but said they sometimes do.

Last edited by PeeperKeeper; 10/18/06 07:55 PM.
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159218
10/18/06 08:28 PM
10/18/06 08:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Piper is on very powerful medication that kills off the bacteria in the body, both the good guys and the bad guys. She will continue to have diarrhea as long as she is on the medication.

By offering replacement good guys (yogurt, Benebac) you are helping to repopulate her system BETWEEN DOSES of medication. As soon as the next medication dose peaks in her system it wipes everyone out again, so you replace again. You are in a holding pattern of giving her as much relief as possible, while still maintaining a therapuetic level of medication. The more often you offer replacement good guys the longer the duration of the benefit from them in the gut and the fewer of the bad guys (botulism, etc) will be able to overgrow the gut. Therefore, it is logical that you will see formed stool and watery stool both, as the levels of medication and the good guy population in the gut fluctuate.

Once she has stopped taking the medication, her gut environment will return to normal after about two weeks of continued replacement therapy.

The main concerns I would have around this issue are:

1. Dehydration - which you seem to have undercontrol

2. Irritation of the cloacal region from the ongoing diarrhea - which has not yet been a problem

Sending prayers your way. You are doing a great job and Piper is so lucky to have you for a momma.

Angel and the Suggies

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159235
10/18/06 08:55 PM
10/18/06 08:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Gosh its been so long since I have given any I had to go look up the vet records. The medication is called Endosorb, it really helped. I sent you a PM. Sending thoughts and prayers to you.
Angie

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159243
10/18/06 09:13 PM
10/18/06 09:13 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Sundra, you can give 3-4 Single flakes of Quaker regular cooking oats (no more or you risk a blockage)-it really helps to absorb the excess water in the intestines. And NOT the quick cook kind-they absorb TOO fast.

HOWEVER-if you think maybe the trichs aren't responding to the Metro, you might want to ask your vet about Ivermectin (it's stronger), and continue with the oatmeal. Oatmeal really does work, believe it or not.

I haven't had a glider refuse the oatmeal yet-they act like it's a yummy treat. IF she does, tho, try cooking some with a little honey to sweeten-you can give up to 1/8 tsp. cooked. It will still work. hug2

Also offer daily yogurt, or try and get some benebac from either your vet or a local pharmacy. And if you're not, pedialyte to stave off dehydration. You can put it down with a syringe if you have to.
Keep us updated, and give the little one a kiss for me!

Last edited by Xfilefan; 10/18/06 09:16 PM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: Xfilefan] #159260
10/18/06 09:54 PM
10/18/06 09:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guys, this is all conjecture on my part, but after reading all the posts, I'd like to add the following:

Oatmeal is a fantastic "tightener", extremely high in glutens that the system does not break down overly much. In addition to active yogurt cultures, I'd like to point out that ANY homebrewed beverage or beverage that is "naturally carbonated" will carry a strain of yeast that has been linked to a 31% reduction in occurances of abdominal and colorectal abnormalities in people. The study was released 2 yeasr ago in the JAMA (Journal of American Medicine)-the strains typically used for Ales reproduce at an astonishing rate, and lemme tell you I use them for both brewing as well as in my home made bread; any type may be ordered online, or from a local home brew shop for about $6 per vial, which is about 50ml. As I am a brewer by hobby, my babies get treated to the occasional fresh few grains of barley or oatmeal, and of course there is an ample supply of wild yeast in my place perforce. Non of my babies have ever been ill (banging my head on wooden table) but that I am sure is because of the total package they get...just ask Bourbon!

Peeper, there are several shops in Texas, I'll PM anyone more info as they want.....sorry your babies are sick frown

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159283
10/18/06 10:36 PM
10/18/06 10:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What a great idea!!

Active culture brewers yeast is available at all health food stores. It is sometimes called nutritional yeast, although, nutritional yeast is not necessarily active culture. It became very popular,as did home brew for nursing mothers, during the 60's as a natural source of b-complex vitamins, which are produced by the yeasts and remain in the home brew. Commercial brews in the USA are filtered and the yeasts are removed.

Health food stores also keep a refrigerated source of beneficial flora and fauna like benebac, but under different brand names. Another one in pharmacies is Lactinex, if you cannot find the Benebac.

Angel and The Suggies

ps

do you give your suggies the brew, or just the yeast?

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159342
10/19/06 12:31 AM
10/19/06 12:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the info, Shaun. I know where a home brew store is not to far from my house. It's right next door to the salt water fish store I go to.

Is yeast actually one of the beneficial organisms that normally live in the gut? First thing that comes to my mind, especially when you mention nursing mothers (I was one) is yeast infections. I wouldn't want to give her one of those on top of everything else. I believe the common yeast infection yeast is candida, so maybe it's a different type that you find in health food stores.

I didn't get a chance to look for the Benebac today. Hopefully tomorrow...

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159353
10/19/06 02:55 AM
10/19/06 02:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brewers yeast and home brew was recommended to nursing mothers as a rich source of b-comples vitamins. I dont think it was expected to colonize the gut. It produces alcohol in the brew which eventually kills the yeast. And baking the bread kills the bakers yeast.

When I was a child they sold 1 lb. blocks of brewers yeast in the refrigerated area in the grocery stores so people could make home brew. They also sold bakers yeast by the pound block. It was wrapped in wax paper, like a pound of butter. Then it went away and they only had little tiny blocks of bakers yeast. Then in the 60's it became popular as a vitamin supplement and people could get the active brewers yeast at health food stores for home brew. Now, there are the brew shops with pedigree yeast for home brew.

I dont think it is the same critter that causes yeast infections and I dont think it normally lives in the gut, but I could be wrong. I am sure someone on the forum knows the real answer to that question. The one that causes yeast infections is the same one that causes thrush in infants. hmmm might be better to check with the vet before using live brewers yeast. I have never seen a recommendation to eat it live, just dried as a supplement.

Angel and the Suggies

Re: Persistant diarrhea (need help, guys) [Re: ] #159371
10/19/06 06:28 AM
10/19/06 06:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

'Morning guys...

Brewers yeast is Sacchromyeces Cerevisiae, which has been "domesticated" over the centuries, and I mean the past 1500 years. Most Europeans on the Board will agree it is unfortunate, but factual, that Americans as a whole know less about Brewing than a 13 year old knows about Calculus!

There are several substrains in use world wide, and although not intended to live in the gut, it is like everyone sez, the fantastic source of B complex vitamins. I'll use a bit of dried malt (the sugar that comes from grain, like barley) with water and an eyedropper of yeast in a dish on the counter for an hour, and put that on top of warm, fresh bread along with butter. It gives it a kinda sour dough background flavor, but the sugar over rides it!

It should also be mentioned there is one particular strain of yeast, Lambic, that is the most voracious on Earth. Almost no bacterial organism can survive an attack of this yeast strain, it is so potent that brewers leave there product out IN THE OPEN AIR to allow spontaneous fermentation to occur. It is so powerful, that no brewery can EVER brew any other product EXCEPT Lambic once it has been used. It begins to reside in every porous surface, and short of burning down the building you're stuck with it for ever! Do not select this one if you go shopping; I use either London Ale or Belgian Abbey Ale strains for my non brew related uses....

Good luck, and I hope everything works out. You may also try mixing your active yogurt culture with some Puppy or Kitten milk replacer found in the pet section of Walmart or other pet stores....

Best to your babies....:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024