Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mixed nuts and dried fruit #167192
11/05/06 11:57 PM
11/05/06 11:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would it be ok to give my suggies mixed nuts and dried fruit? How about at LEAST the dried fruit? I am tired of cutting fruits and veggies for them EVERY night! It would be nice to have the meal ready a few nights a week.

What about yogurt covered raisins. I gave each of my suggies one. The boy licked it a little and TRIED to bite it, but I think It was too hard for him to eat. Not sure.

Any other suggestions?

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: ] #167209
11/06/06 12:37 AM
11/06/06 12:37 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
nuts are very high in fat and can have aflatoxins in them (especially peanuts). Dried fruit I'm not too sure on, but I wouldn't risk it unless it's something you personally dried... I cut all my fruits for the week at once and then freeze them into ice trays. Pop out a cube @ dinner and let it thaw a little and they're ready to go

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: BeckiT] #167243
11/06/06 02:00 AM
11/06/06 02:00 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
I agree on not offering the nuts and dried fruit. Sugar gliders are sap suckers, and there just isn't much "sap" or juice in those dry, hard foods. Plus there's the risk of aflatoxins, as Becki noted. And, many dried fruits have preservatives and things you really don't want to be offering your suggies.

I also cut my fruit into little chunks and freeze. I know some spread a thin layer on a sheet and then break the chunks and store in baggies. It's easy to dish out a portion each night and only do your cutting and chopping once a week or so.

The yogurt covered raisin is also a treat to offer only in moderation. Yogurt drops are basically sugar, and the raisin is yet another dried fruit. It'd be better to offer a grape (without seeds) or some other healthy snack instead.

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: KattyM] #167255
11/06/06 02:28 AM
11/06/06 02:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I feed my gliders yogurt covered raisons and dried papaya and mangos but only as treats.. Gliders need fresh fruits because they are sap suckers blah blah blah, you've probably heard all this before and I'm sure 20 other people after me will post the same thing.

If you're tired of prepairing meals nightly, don't. Do it once a month and freeze it. I freeze a bunch of fruit because I only have two joeys and they don't eat a full cantalope before it goes bad.

Choice two, grocery store's deli section usually have mixed fruit cups for a few bucks. A decent sized one should last a few nights.

Don't go with canned though. That stuff is riddled with perservitives.

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: ] #167338
11/06/06 10:46 AM
11/06/06 10:46 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: Zero
I freeze a bunch of fruit because I only have two joeys and they don't eat a full cantalope before it goes bad. Choice two, grocery store's deli section usually have mixed fruit cups for a few bucks. A decent sized one should last a few nights.

I don't buy whole melons, especially this time of year when they're not in season.. I generally shop off the salad bar for the melon for both my gliders and iguana. That way, I can buy just enough to last a week or so without having to chop an entire melon and store it in the freezer for how ever long.

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: BeckiT] #167339
11/06/06 10:47 AM
11/06/06 10:47 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Oh, and I just found out this weekend, Chick-Fil-A has an excellent fruit cup too, the bigger size is about $3 and would last probably a week. has melons, grapes and apples in it wink

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: BeckiT] #167364
11/06/06 11:47 AM
11/06/06 11:47 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I freeze mine, too. (Great idea about using the ice cube trays! lol) I cut mine up, put on a tray on wax paper, and then put them in a freezer bag. You could also make up individual baggies once a week with all their fruits/veggies in it, that way you just pull a baggie a night out. (I recently went on vacation and did this for my 'sitter' so I knew they were getting the right amounts of everything!)

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: pappy1264] #167376
11/06/06 11:54 AM
11/06/06 11:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The nuts and dried fruit are a huge NO-NO! Like others have said the best thing to do is buy it, cut it up all at once into bite size pieces and then freeze it. that way every night you can just go into the freezer and get what you need. I feed Darcys diet and I do what Mary said. I freeze everythign and divide it into the right amounts. That way if I am not home when feeding time comes aroudn whoever is just grabs a baggie and they have everythign proportioned out already.

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: ] #167433
11/06/06 01:37 PM
11/06/06 01:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:
The nuts and dried fruit are a huge NO-NO!

Ok, the nuts ARE a huge no no. However, I don't know a single person who hasn't slipped their suggies a piece of almond, pecan or pine nut from time to time. Yes, they can contain aflatoxins, more so the peanuts, but so can crickets and mealworms and a jillion other things out there we tend to feed as well. We need to exercise caution, but I truly don't believe that a piece of nut once or twice a month is going to do much harm. Just don't make it a peanut.

As for the dried fruit, what's wrong with it? I order dried, organic, no preservative fruits online for my guys because I don't have time to dry it myself. I use it for treats and I use it on occasion to leave in the cage for something to snack on in lieu of dried glider pellets. It's great for traveling too. Their favorite is the guava.
I get a lot more concerned when I read about some of the veggies people use than I ever will about dried fruits.

Just because gliders eat sap and nectar in the wild doesn't mean they can't eat dried fruit. They probably don't eat a whole lot, if any fresh fruit in the wild either. Gliders like to chew and a good ol' piece of dried fruit is something healthy to chew on! Besides, they love to eat things they can hold in thier hands.
I would never "advise" anyone or downright tell anyone that feeding thier gliders nuts is ok. However, when it comes to preservative-free dried fruits as treats, then I say go for it. It beats the heck out of yoggies, but then mine get those too from time to time. grin

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: ] #167450
11/06/06 02:03 PM
11/06/06 02:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I got a glider that someone could not take care of anymore and he fed her pecans and she is overweight because of it. So I had to redue her diet and help her lose weight. Just an example of what nuts can do to em.

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: ] #167459
11/06/06 02:17 PM
11/06/06 02:17 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Mimijo, the key words you used in reference to the dried fruit you ordered were "organic" and "no preservatives". Dried fruit normally has a LOT of preservatives in it which isn't the healthiest thing, especially when you're feeding such little critters, a little bit of th bad stuff adds up fast! I use dried papaya for mine, but I do dry it myself. They've also discovered my son's fruit roll ups recently so got a taste of those. I make them myself in the dehydrator also because my son has major health issues, so I know what's in it (and what's not for that matter) and just deduct the from thier portion of fruit @ night.

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: BeckiT] #167460
11/06/06 02:18 PM
11/06/06 02:18 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
you're right JT, too many nuts is very fattening frown

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: BeckiT] #167487
11/06/06 03:02 PM
11/06/06 03:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're right Becki, preservatives are not a good thing, but the post was questioning dried fruits in general and I wanted to stipulate that there is nothing wrong with dried fruits when they don't contain preservatives. There are a lot of them available on the market that don't contain preservatives like cherries, apple, papaya, mango, etc. I also wanted to note that I do not think substituting fresh or frozen fruit with dried fruit for thier dinner is a good idea either. Maybe in a pinch, but it shouldn't be used every night like the original poster was implying she would like to do. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.

Also, you mentioned using fruits from a salad bar. I would be very cautious about that. There is no way to tell how long food on a salad bar has been sitting out, whose handled it, or if it has been sneezed or coughed on. There have been cases of Giardia and Salmonella reported where salad bar food was suspected as the cause. I have used things from the salad bar before, but since hearing about the above cases, I no longer give my guys food from a salad bar. Just thought I'd mention it for general info.

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: ] #167504
11/06/06 03:34 PM
11/06/06 03:34 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Well I do feed my babies nuts and dried fruits. Of course these are all organic from a place I trust. I actually keep a few small baggies of a mixture of nuts and dried fruit with a little bit of oatmeal on hand so I can grab and go when I take them with me. My suggies do love all of it. I think the keys here should be moderation and organic. Know where you get your foods from and be safe. In the end its all about what YOU decide is right for your babies.

As for having to do the food each night: I grab a big bag of dole fruits that are frozen (with peaches strawberries, grapes, honeydew) a few other fresh fruits that I freeze myself. And frozen bagged veggies. I use a plastic baby food plate, put everything I use for one night in it (it has different slots) and freeze. I have a two wk supply of dishes that are ready to go. It also makes it easier if you arent feeling well!! Or if someone else has to feed that night!

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: MizValorie] #167521
11/06/06 03:57 PM
11/06/06 03:57 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Mimijo, the salad bar I visit is at a health food store. All foods are placed out minimally and replaced every hour. They're also kept refrigerated in a closed unit, so I don't worry about it as much wink I pretty much only get my melons there in the off season anyway, as I can't find a place to get frozen melon (any ideas there?)

You're right though, dried preservative free fruit in moderation, as a treat is OK, but not as a substitute for the normal dinner rations..

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: BeckiT] #167558
11/06/06 05:07 PM
11/06/06 05:07 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
I think it is important to point out that the dried fruit (organic / no preservatives…) is not a substitute for the fruits (Fresh / frozen) to be served as part of their regular diet … a little treat not and then is one thing… I myself have never offered any kind of nuts to my gliders…

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: BeckiT] #168011
11/07/06 12:04 PM
11/07/06 12:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:
I can't find a place to get frozen melon (any ideas there?)

Becki, what I do is buy fresh melons every week when they are in season, scoop out a bunch of melon balls and freeze them myself. They freeze extremely well in the vacuum sealing stuff and retain their good color and freshness. In freezer bags they do ok, but turn kind of mushy when thawed.

I find the melons in the past couple of years to be less than desirable in taste because of so much cold storage fruit being sent out, I guess. On very rare occasions we can get a brand of melon (cantaloupe and honeydew) shipped by Dulcinea from California. These melons are fabulous. Not only do they taste fantastic, they freeze really well too. You can visit their site at dulcinea.com. They cost more, but they are really worth it. My guys love both, and they aren't big on melons.

Btw, for those whose gliders like pineapple and you are concerned about the acid, there is a dried pineapple with no pres. and very, very low in acid. Mine love it, and it's much better than the pineapple sold in stores with the sugar and preservatives.

Re: mixed nuts and dried fruit [Re: ] #168015
11/07/06 12:13 PM
11/07/06 12:13 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Thanks for the tip Mimijo. I just haven't been able to find any decent melons lately, it's just not the season for them. I did have some watermelon in the deep freezer at moms. I foodsaver everything, lol... I have the canisters and all that too, so I put their fruits, veggies and BML all in different sealed canisters in the freezer.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,554 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,145 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024