Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? #192334
12/28/06 05:05 PM
12/28/06 05:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wondering if any members on GC feed Elwin's Fresh Food diet and if so, could you give me an idea of what you feed for a few nights?

I'm thinking about switching b/c mine love to eat all that protein especially chicken and turkey.

Also, could you tell me whether you grill, boil, bake, etc. the meat? Just interested. Oh, and do you feed mealies on top of that too? smile Thanks in advance!

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192345
12/28/06 05:34 PM
12/28/06 05:34 PM
Chicago, IL
FURBYnGIZMO Offline
Glider Addict
FURBYnGIZMO  Offline
Glider Addict

Chicago, IL

I've never heard of 'Elwin's Fresh Food diet' dunno

These are the only diets I'm familiar with worried

Could you post a link or list what's in that diet?
I love learning about new diets so it would be interesting to learn a new one clap

Thanks wave

dance Jenny

Furby -- Kalila -- Deuce -- Gizmo

Furby :grey: Kalila :wfb: Deuce :leu:

Gizmo :rbridge:

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: FURBYnGIZMO] #192353
12/28/06 06:15 PM
12/28/06 06:15 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Jenny, the Elwin's Fresh Food diet was recently discussed in one of the diet threads (around mid Dec). You can find the diethere. I found it very interesting, and love the variety offered, but am not aware of many who use it...

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: BeckiT] #192370
12/28/06 06:40 PM
12/28/06 06:40 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
I tried it, but, while my guys loved the fresh fruit and stuff, the protien was a huge hassle and they would not eat enough - just bugs. I switched to BML due to this. (I rarely cook 'tho and had to boil chickens just for the glider boys!)

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: Mel2mdl] #192427
12/28/06 09:00 PM
12/28/06 09:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think that's exactly why I want to try it. My family and I eat what is offered on the list almost every night. I used to boil chicken and turkey breast for the gliders before I even knew of this diet.

I've tried BML and they hated it, then went to Priscilla Price. I think they've grown too used to it b/c they pick out all the fruit and veggies on the bottom of the dish where the staple hasn't touched it yet. They used to eat it up to pieces.

I figured, if I'm gonna eat it and go out of my way already... Mine as well try it for the suggie boogies!

Here's the link...
http://members.fortunecity.com/eccentric...h_food_diet.htm

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192461
12/28/06 10:28 PM
12/28/06 10:28 PM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
i read about that diet and liked the idea, however stayed aways cause my girls wont eat chicken or any other meat like that9 except occasionally when they steal a bit of hamburger from me but i dont let that happen to often) However i'd say if your gliders eat it all, it's worth a try! keep me informed of what you find with it!

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: Kitkatt1216] #192476
12/28/06 11:20 PM
12/28/06 11:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For those of you who dont cook regularly, you can also microwave chicken really quickly. Just dont season it for the suggies.

Nuke two boneless skinless breasts covered in plastic wrap with holes poked in the plastic to let the steam escape. 9 minutes on high and you have chicken for you and the suggies.

Have not heard of this diet, but am going to go read about it now.

Godspeed

Angel cloud9

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192484
12/28/06 11:33 PM
12/28/06 11:33 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
All nine of our gliders LOVE boiled chicken and turkey, mealies of course (cept 1) and crickets (cept 2).

I'm gonna read this diet now too..

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: SugarBlossoms] #192489
12/28/06 11:45 PM
12/28/06 11:45 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I already feed a large variety of foods. Ours get the Leadbeater's as the main diet, veggies, fruits, yogurt, Acacia, Bee Pollen and many other foods. (boiled chicken, eggs, turkey, mealies and crickets) I don't see much difference in that diet really as far as variety. I don't give our gliders "greens" at all though or tomatoes.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: SugarBlossoms] #192492
12/28/06 11:49 PM
12/28/06 11:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I read the diet. It does look like a diet that would be easy to feed and easy to tailor to the likes of your suggie.

However, before I changed diets there are some things I would need to know.

How many gilders have been fed this diet and for how long?

What has their average lifespan been and what is their medical and breeding history?

Has this diet been endorsed by exotic vets knowledgeable about suggie nutrition?

What is the Ca:P ration of the overall diet?

I dont see how the Ca:P ratio could be kept constant on this diet with the variety of foods and combinations offered.

There is for example a difference in the Ca:P ratio of turkey vs chicken so the ratio of the diet would change whenever the protein component was changed.

Some of the fruits and veggies have much different Ca:P ratios than others, so the ratio would change depending on what fruit or veggie was offered.

I dont think I could keep up with balancing it on a daily basis.

Godspeed

Angel cloud9

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192737
12/29/06 05:40 PM
12/29/06 05:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My question is how do suggies balance their diets out in the wild? Isn't there some natural fluxuation in their diets and the protein:fruit/veggie ratio and Ca:P ratios? I just don't see how they keep it perfectly balanced out in nature and often wonder if we are not over doing calcium trying to make the diet *perfect* every day? The added calcium to the diet should be enough to make sure that the Ca is higher than Phosphorus.

Angel - I wish there was a nice little page w/ all the different diets out there w/ an answer for each to all of the questions you asked. Heck, I can't even get straight answers when I ask about the components of BML when I have asked in the past yet I'm suppose to trust it. At least with this diet its quite obvious why each thing is in there.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192742
12/29/06 06:07 PM
12/29/06 06:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cosmo- keep in mind that a glider's life span in the wild is far shorter than what has been seen in captivity. I'm sure to some degree it's diet related, and not just predators.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192749
12/29/06 06:42 PM
12/29/06 06:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess I disagree with this as I just can't see how anything we can make would be better than what they evolved to eat in nature. Based on other wildlife studies on other animals, I would bet most of the deaths out in the wild are due to predators or disease and possibly famine in poor weathered years.

There are also still quite a few of those that die at 7-9 years of life in captivity even though on one of the "approved" diets. From asking around and talking on this forum and several others, there really doesn't seem to be that many that are living much longer than out in the wild let alone the claimed +12 years that they say they can live.

BTW - Considering there has been so little research done on the glider diets, how do we know the 2:1 ratio is even correct? How was that value concluded?

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192751
12/29/06 07:00 PM
12/29/06 07:00 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I personally know of several people that had their gliders live between 12 and 15 years old. Two of the gliders never even had a mate. One thing I'm wondering, all the people I've known that they have lived this long had males. None were female. Is there something to that?

Cosmo, scientist know the ratios for bone density as it can be measured. Bones in gliders are much like the bones in birds also.

As far as diets in the wild, some of us do feed some of the things they would find in the wild. There are other things to consider about the foods in the wild though, gliders would have access to mold, diseased bugs, bird eggs and insects that would be bad. Thankfully, that's not a huge problem here although there has been problems with crickets among other things and many of us don't feed them those.

Gliders like any animal in the wild also doesn't know what is good and not good and in what quantity to eat it either. Their diets are regulated in captivity.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: SugarBlossoms] #192755
12/29/06 07:20 PM
12/29/06 07:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, but regulated diets in captivity aren't always the best due to lack of diet understanding. Heck, they still don't have the diet of popular animals down pat yet - thus why there was the taurine scare with cats several years back and them going blind due to lack of taurine in their diets and also now there are problems with UTI and kidney failure due to the high carbs in the feline diets. All I am saying is everyone is paranoid about glider diets, but yet its hard to know for sure if what we are feeding them is correct, even if its an *approved* diet due to the lack of knowledge.

Also - bone densities studies don't always give the proper calcium:phosphorus ratio for diet. And what does it mean "very much like birds" - what kind of birds? They are all different!

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192762
12/29/06 07:37 PM
12/29/06 07:37 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
Hey - one of my favorite things about this web page is the politeness amoung the forums. diet is a VERY PERSONAL choice. Most people feel strongly about the diet they are using. Studies are being done, and, so far, they have been inclusive.

I don't live in Australia and do not have access to what gliders would eat in the wild. (My dog doesn't get what he would in the wild either, nor my cat, or my tarantula - although his is close!)

I guess all I am trying to say is - be sure to keep it nice! diet discussions can be fun, but, of all the "proven" diets, the most information I can get is on the one I am choosing to use. No diet is perfect - these discussions can help people think about what they are feeding and what changes they might need to make. (BTW - most diseases issues are diet related, both in captivity and in the wild!)

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: Mel2mdl] #192788
12/29/06 09:21 PM
12/29/06 09:21 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Cosmos, are you saying then we shouldn't have gliders in captivity? or any animal at all?

I speak with people who raise gliders in their own habitit IN Australia. Of course, that isn't the only place they come from, but I'm going to far reach here and say they do know what they are talking about.

Leadbeaters is the original diet. Because it can be hard for people in other areas to maintain that diet due to non-availability of "ingredients", Bourbon (BML), Priscilla, Judy and others have worked with people who know how to make the diets work here with the ingredients we have available. All of those diets in the links here on G.C are PROVEN because they have shown to work to maintain our gliders health and longevity over the course of quite a few years.

I am curious to what you are using as a diet? or if any gliders own you at this point?

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: SugarBlossoms] #192899
12/30/06 02:01 AM
12/30/06 02:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

By no means am I saying we shouldn't have them as pets! I'm owned by one sugar glider, several cats, a couple dogs, and 6 horses. I was just pointing out some of the issues that have arose in a common pet - such as the cat - despite the research that has gone into their diets. It scares me at how some people here on this boared are extremely dedicated to certain diets, yet when someone new, such as myself, asks why something is in the diet - we get little to no response. It seems to say they don't know why. I'm a "why" person. I like to know why, what the research is, etc. So it has been very frustrating in figuring out what diet to use when my "why" questions get little to no response. I'm sorry it seems my posts are being taken the wrong way, but it is me just trying to figure out what is best for my glider and understanding why the different diets are set up the way they are. I'm not a person who can accept "because they are balanced that way" or its "proven" or what not. I have a huge stack of research on horse diets, on feline diets and on canine diets to make sure I have the best diet for each. I would like to do the same for my glider but it has continued to be met with nothing but frustration.

As to my glider's diet, the best info I have had so far is from someone from Australia and so my glider's diet follows that as closely as I can. My understanding is that the leadbeaters is only a very small portion of what is fed over there to the gliders. My vet agrees with what I am feeding right now so that is what we are going with. I have debating on going with Pricilla Price's diet eventually as I like that her supplement contains some of the things I've been trying to get my hands on for my glider. But not sure about other parts of it - such as the freezing and also the monkey biscuits.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192949
12/30/06 03:41 AM
12/30/06 03:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay... I didn't mean to start a "heated discussion" about the topic. I was just looking for insight on the diet b/c I too wasn't too familiar with it as the rest of you. I wanted to find members who were feeding it to their suggies so I could get advice.

I'm sorry to have started something here. But seriously, still looking for insight so any information about this specific diet would be helpful since I have already read information on most of the proven diets on the diet link. I'm not a new owner and in no way 'am I perfect, but that's why I'm attempting to research this one.

Thanks!

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192964
12/30/06 04:36 AM
12/30/06 04:36 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
There was a recent study done and darned if I can find the link but believe it is here somewhere on G.C. (lol)

The study was on BML, The Suncoast diet and another one (okay, it's 3:30 am and I can't think straight)

It should be in the links or off site links somewhere.

The study didn't turn out as well as might have been hoped for or expected. However, the only real study (IMO) is what has worked.

I personally don't use any of the diets myself but use a combination of foods with variety. Mine are on a Leadbeater's but none listed here.

The diet in question, again IMO only would better be asked to the person and people who use it. How long has the diet been in use? What about health of the gliders on it? Do they breed or not?

Does anyone here use the diet?

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #192966
12/30/06 04:41 AM
12/30/06 04:41 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Christina, thanks for asking about the diet. I hadn't heard of it either till you mentioned it and am always looking at diets and foods for the suggies. smile

Cosmos wants to know the why..well, we have that in common for sure! lol I always want to know why!

I missed the point of your questions though Cosmos. I took what you said as to mean that there was no point in any diet since none would be right anyway. I aplogize.

It's hard to get the meaning of things at times on a computer. (especially after me being mostly semi-awake since Weds. hand raising a brand new joey)

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: SugarBlossoms] #192971
12/30/06 06:57 AM
12/30/06 06:57 AM
Canton Tx
Their_mommy Offline
Glider Guardian
Their_mommy  Offline
Glider Guardian

Canton Tx
Great Questions and I don't see this becoming heated.

I see it as dedicated SG owners wanting answers to very important questions about the diets of our gliders.

I have resorted back to my own diet for them as they are much happier with it then with the BLM diet.

And I can adjust it as I like and as they like.

Some days they will not eat their veggies, so they are left to clean up in the morning, (altho they make great toys):)
I change their diet almost daily so that they don't get sick of the same ole thing.

Many fruits, yogart,chicken,and dried things made for gliders are givin to them and they love the variety.
They are happy and healthy and I see no reason to change what I have been feeding them.
I do worry a bit about protien l
evels,(being low) but I try to make sure they get what they need.

There are so many different diets out there that it is hard to pick one and then when you do,you find that the gliders don't like it, so you have to change it anyway.

So back to what I was feeding them in the first place.
Including monkey bisquits that the breeder that I got them from was feeding.

So I think that with all of the knowledge we have (and not so much knowledge) we need to feed what they like and sometimes what they don't and force them to try it by offering nothing else for a few days.

It really depends on the glider and their likes and dislikes.
And thanks for keeping this Topic under control.

There is nothing worse the a heated discussion of something so important.
We all have opinions and live in a Country where we can express them freely.

To dissagree is just fine, but be nice about it.

As time goes by and my loves pass. I will forever be greatfull for the time we had together. I will see you soon my loves.
Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: Their_mommy] #194200
01/01/07 11:02 PM
01/01/07 11:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks everyone... I guess I won't be finding anyone who uses this diet. Maybe I'll have to do some research and try to get the contact information for this guy in Texas.

If you come across anyone who DOES in fact use Elwin's diet, please get a hold of me. smile

Mods, you may feel free to close this thread if you'd like.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #194228
01/02/07 12:05 AM
01/02/07 12:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At the top of the page is a links button. The last link in the pull down menu goes to the diet page. Eash diet on this page has been fed to suggies for extensive periods of time and the suggies have done well on them.

Each of the diet pages contains additional links to info on suggie diets.

Those of you interested in the history of some of the diets may want to explore some of these links. For example, from Bourbon's page you can link to Ruth's page which contains links to a zoo in Australia that keeps suggies and gives and explains reasons for various items being included in the suggies diets.

I believe that in the wild animals learn to like the taste of food that are healthy for them. We have brought suggies half way around the world and hardly anything we feed them is going to be the same as what they learned to like in the wild. Just because a food we give them tastes like something they would have liked there, does not mean it has the same nutritional value, so we cant let them have free choice. Many people have developed suggie diets in an attempt to satisfy both their need for a palatable diet and a nutritious one.

I have seen no one who claimed to have found the perfect diet. We all are struggling to learn and to decide what the best thing is to feed to our suggies.

I agree, I wish there were a page that gave all the answers, but, we dont even know what humans need to eat, and more research has been done on the perfect human diet than probably any other subject in the world. LOL

I wonder if when our great-grandchildren sign on GC of the future they will still be debating the best diet for their suggies? lol

Godspeed

Angel cloud9

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #194260
01/02/07 01:13 AM
01/02/07 01:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: angelskates

I wonder if when our great-grandchildren sign on GC of the future they will still be debating the best diet for their suggies? lol

Godspeed

Angel cloud9

LOL - Probably! You should see some of the debates on horse forums and among cat fanciers when it comes to their diets - and they have been domesticated for many more years than our gliders.

I really appologize if anyone took my posts in the wrong way. I'm just trying to figure out what is best for my glider and at some points am getting frustrated. Sorry!

I do wish someone who actually feeds the Elwin's fresh food diet would come on here. I asked about it a couple weeks ago and didn't get much response either on it.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #195372
01/04/07 01:39 AM
01/04/07 01:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, I have been a member since April of 05 so I have read that diets link page over and over again. I was just looking at this specific one b/c it caught my attention and sounded yummy.

Maybe Jessie and I will be the only ones trying it out. smile I'm still trying to find info on Elwin in Texas so I can get information on the actual diet and ask the gazillion questions I have.

Re: Anyone Feed Elwin's Fresh Food Diet? [Re: ] #195784
01/04/07 10:29 PM
01/04/07 10:29 PM
Hernando, MS - USA
A
Anmaw Offline
Glider Guardian
Anmaw  Offline
Glider Guardian
A

Hernando, MS - USA
Since I joined GC, I have read so many things about the different diets and there's always that little bit of doubt in my mind about whether this one or the other is the best one to feed Stryder. I worry about too many vitamins, too much calcium, too much phosphorus in the veggies and fruit - it never stops. All I can do is read and trust in the research others have done to give him a well balanced diet. Every time I see someone post a new diet, I wonder if it's going to be the perfect one for these little creatures. If you try Elwin's diet, would like to hear how it goes.

off_topic Tina, nice to see you posting again!!! Hope & Chance? Was going to PM you but couldn't.

Becky
Guardian of Stryder,
my Grandson's Sugar Glider

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024