Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
They don't get along. Please help. #212816
02/04/07 04:29 PM
02/04/07 04:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My girls are still in different cages because at play time Gizmo climbs all over Prada and looks like she's nibbling on her back. Then Prada makes this little hiss/squeak sound, which makes me think she's being hurt. So I separate them and Gizmo just goes back to climbing on top of her. So I end up putting them both back in their cages and I play with them separately.
I can't keep them in the same cage because I'm afraid they'll kill each other. But during the day when they're sleeping, I put them in the pouch together and they'll cuddle up and groom each other and there's no fussing at all. They slept all day together yesterday.
Has anyone else had this problem? And what can I do to get them to get along better during play time? Why is Gizmo being so rough? I'm so sad because I want them to be able to play with each other when I'm not around to play with them.

Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: ] #212819
02/04/07 04:38 PM
02/04/07 04:38 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Well actually it sounds pretty good… they are not balling up and fighting … I would say you need to leave them in the cage together … on a night that you do not need to get up early as you will probably not sleep easily .. just listening for what ever … but they do need to work things out themselves … I am sure you will get more input ..

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: Xglider] #212820
02/04/07 04:43 PM
02/04/07 04:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When Gizmo is getting on top of Prada, sometimes one of them ends up on her back. Is that what you call "balling up"? Or are they just play wrestling? I can't tell the difference. I'll try to put them in the same cage tomorrow night and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: ] #212824
02/04/07 04:49 PM
02/04/07 04:49 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Here is an idea... spend some bonding time.. both sleeping together, swap cage stuff and mix them both up… switching blankets and toys so both cages are a mix of them .. the reason I say BOTH cages will be apparent in a moment… NOW put the pouch in one cage .. let them get up together while you are there so you can listen / watch .. and see how it goes .. if they start to fight then you can move one to the other cage .. but now both have the scent mixed and that should help for a future attempt … if this one does not go successfully … good luck and keep us posted … !

Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: ] #212828
02/04/07 05:05 PM
02/04/07 05:05 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I wonder if Gizmo is climbing on Prada to establish dominence?

If that's the case, from what I've read, once dominence is established, they should get along. It doesn't sound like Prada is resisting Gizmo being the dominent glider? At least from what I've read.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: ValkyrieMome] #212973
02/04/07 10:34 PM
02/04/07 10:34 PM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
It really does sound like they are getting along well together. All pairs will have their little squabbles & will make their little sneezy fusses at each other when one does something the other doesn't like. But so long as there isn't crabbing or balling up fighting then they should be fine.
It could very well be that Gizmo is trying to establish dominance over her new friend, it could also be that she was separated from her parents too young. Despite Prada being a bit smaller than she is, she could be trying to "hitch a ride" like she would have with her parents. I know that my Carina did this when I first introduced her to Baxter & Bailey.......tho Bax was 2x her size so I believe she saw him as Daddy.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: glidrz5] #213586
02/06/07 01:31 AM
02/06/07 01:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well yesterday they slept in the pouch together fine. Then I had them out for play time. They did ok. Gizmo still tried to climb on top of Prada and it looked a little rough, but I didn't separate them because Prada didn't seem like she was being hurt. They didn't fight or anything. So after play time I put them both in Gizmo's cage (its bigger). At first everything was fine. They took a little nap, nibbled on some food, and they both were climbing around for a little while. Then things got ugly when Prada hung up side down from this little walk way in the middle of the cage, and she put her hands on the wheel (I suppose just to see what it was). Well Gizmo got a bit possessive and jumped on Prada while she was hanging up side down by her lil toes! Prada was able to get down and she wasn't hurt. Then she got down to sniff in side the wheel and Gizmo went after her again! It looked like they were fighting over who got to play in the wheel! Then I put gizmo in the other cage and left them apart for the rest of the night.
Next time I try this should I take the wheel out? Its the only thing Gizmo got really possessive over. They share food, the pouch, and toys. But Gizmo doesn't want to share the wheel!
Or do you think I shouldn't try to put them together for a while? Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: ] #213818
02/06/07 04:53 PM
02/06/07 04:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You might want to consider just getting a second wheel.

Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: ] #213841
02/06/07 05:39 PM
02/06/07 05:39 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
i would say you can try it with the wheel out… but I have to ask .. you say it looked like they were fighting over who got to play with the wheel… so were they actually fighting??? They do have to work out some things in this new relationship.. like mentioned who is dominant… so there is going to be a bit of squabbling, even my gliders that have been together for year every one and then have a little squabble …

Re: They don't get along. Please help. [Re: Xglider] #214342
02/07/07 01:46 PM
02/07/07 01:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm pretty sure they were fighting. Gizmo was on her back and Prada was hanging out of the wheel and they were swing their lil hands at each other and teeth were showing. So I got really scared and separated them.
I put some of Prada's new toys in Gizmo's cage along with some new things that I just made tonight. They each have their own food and water, so there shouldn't be any arguments over that. And I took that wheel out. I did like my mom used to do when my sister and I fought over a toy, "if you can't share it and play nice, nobody gets to play with it!" lol.
I'm going to keep them together tonight. Its 2:30 am now and they're both in the pouch grooming each other. When I first put them in together tonight, they even shared a blueberry. Gizmo held it, took a few bites, then Prada took a couple bites. They went back and forth like this, it was so adorable!
Hopefully tonight goes better than last time. Thanks for all your suggestions! You guys are the best!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,578 TEXAS
679,077 OHIO
487,158 OKLAHOMA
432,162 UTAH
321,687 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024