Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? #267399
04/21/07 11:21 AM
04/21/07 11:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Alot of Q's...

i just read someones post n now im curious.. and i didnt want to continue on there post because i didnt want to have there topic changed w/a bunch of my Questions...

so if a mom just had a joey come out of pouch and right after her and daddy start mating again and in about 16 days theres another baby IP what happens w/the first baby? does the older joey still have no problem getting milk w/the new joey latched on to a nipple? do gliders have dif milk like humans? meaning in the beg of a humans preg. theres colostrum n then a few days later it turns to reg milk... is it the same w/gliders or do they just have 1 type of milk that stays the same for all gliders???

and also if a mommy just has a baby n also has one thats newly OOP and shes not producing enough milk for both will she reject one or both?? especially if the second time shes pregnant she has multiples (meaning twins or triplets?) and if she were to reject one would it more then likely be the older one that has a better chance of surviving on its own (w/my help cause it'd be to little to take care of itself).. or will she take care of the older one because its more developed and has more of a chance if she continues to take care of it???

is there more of a chance that you'll have to eventually handfeed the first joey that was born if shes not producing enough milk or should you also provide supplement feedings for the older joey because she has more then one joey just to kinda help her out..???
i know you have to provide mommy w/more protein.. but i also read somewhere that you have to provide HER w/a milk supplement? what exactly would you provide mom w/for a milk supplement, Yogurt?...

Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: ] #267402
04/21/07 11:23 AM
04/21/07 11:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As far as I understand, the second joey isn't born until the first joey is done and OOP. It's kept in a kind of stasis until mom is ready to have another baby.
I don't know about the rejection question.

Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: ] #267420
04/21/07 11:50 AM
04/21/07 11:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yeh thats what i understood too... that the second joey wont be born until the first is oop but once its oop it still needs milk.. n ive heard of them going back or tryin to go back into moms pouch after they're alreadi OOP.. im really confused on how that works....

Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: ] #267422
04/21/07 11:52 AM
04/21/07 11:52 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Actually Jen, that is not correct. The mother can and will give birth to a new litter of joeys while she is still nursing newly oop joeys. It is for this reason that you can have joeys every three months. For instance, my Bittah has two joeys in pouch right now. When they went into pouch, their older siblings had been out of pouch for about a month. Therefore, Bittah was nursing two older joeys and two newly in-pouch joeys. This is a pretty typical cycle for captive gliders.
Marsupials have the ability to produce different types of milk for the differently aged joeys that they are feeding. So, for instance, if the two newly in pouch are using the lower pair of teats (which is normally where the new ones go to) then that pair of teats will produce the perfect milk for their age and as they develop and grow the milk will change and accomodate for their new needs. The upper pair of teats will produce a completely different type of milk that is perfect for the older pair of joeys that is already out of pouch.
If the female is being fed a good balanced diet that has plenty of protein and calcium in it, milk production should not be an issue for her and she should be able to supply milk for up to 4 joeys different-aged joeys at a time.
A milk booster can be given to the mother if desired, although it's not always necessary. The one that I have used when needed is Brisky's Booster Milk - which I also use to make joey formula for the occasions when I do have to either hand-feed or supplement feed joeys.
HTH

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: ] #267424
04/21/07 11:55 AM
04/21/07 11:55 AM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
ok I am going to try to answer all of your questions...
1. "so if a mom just had a joey come out of pouch and right after her and daddy start mating again and in about 16 days theres another baby IP what happens w/the first baby?" Nothing, Mom can have joeys of different ages ip or ip & OOP, she will produce different milk necessary for each joey.
2."does the older joey still have no problem getting milk w/the new joey latched on to a nipple?" I believe there is at least 4 nipples (since they are capable of having up to 4 joeys at a time) so I don't see a problem with each joeys having a nipple to nurse from.
3."do gliders have dif milk like humans?" I believe they do but as I said in #1 they will produce the necessary milk for each joey.
4."if a mommy just has a baby n also has one thats newly OOP and shes not producing enough milk for both will she reject one or both?? especially if the second time shes pregnant she has multiples (meaning twins or triplets?) and if she were to reject one would it more then likely be the older one that has a better chance of surviving on its own (w/my help cause it'd be to little to take care of itself).. or will she take care of the older one because its more developed and has more of a chance if she continues to take care of it???" I am sure it could be a possibility but I personally have not had this happen. Rejection can occur for a number of reasons, this is certainly one reason that COULD cause it.
5."is there more of a chance that you'll have to eventually handfeed the first joey that was born if shes not producing enough milk or should you also provide supplement feedings for the older joey because she has more then one joey just to kinda help her out..???" If I noticed a problem I would try to leave the younger joey(s) with mom and supplement the older joey, I think it would give the best chance of survival for all the joeys.
6."what exactly would you provide mom w/for a milk supplement, Yogurt?" I just provide more, I feed the BML diet and I just provide more of it, if she needs more, she'll eat more. Occasionally I will give her extra yogies or a hard boiled egg as a treat.

*This is just my personal opinions, things I have learned from MY experience and research. There are many breeders on GC with MUCH MORE experience than me, (as I only have 1 breeding pair) Hopefully I helped you alittle, hopefully more people will come along to help more. smile

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #267431
04/21/07 12:09 PM
04/21/07 12:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Suz, I wasn't clear enough in my answer...sorry I meant while they were still in pouch that a new litter wouldn't be born, am I still incorrect?? Thank goodness I'm not going to breed right?? LOL

Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: ] #267437
04/21/07 12:16 PM
04/21/07 12:16 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
I believe they can still be born. A mom can have joeys ip that are different ages.

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: krysKritters] #267438
04/21/07 12:18 PM
04/21/07 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK well, I learned something new...Thanks guys smile

Re: Parents mating soon after joey OOP?? [Re: ] #267860
04/22/07 01:00 AM
04/22/07 01:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I completely was not thinking about the different types of milk. That was a great question!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024