Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Signs of loneliness? #266502
04/20/07 12:22 AM
04/20/07 12:22 AM
Columbia SC
BKaylor74 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
BKaylor74  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Columbia SC
We've had Gonzo nearly a month now (he's my avatar pic), and while he's still rather crabby, he's coming around. Still quite shy tho, and he acts like he doesn't want any attention, but as soon as we leave him alone he comes out and looks at us like "where'd you go?" I think he's starting to respond to his name too. If I call him, and he's in his pouch or ball pit, he'll either crab, or pop his head up and look at me.

We've been trying to spend as much time with him as we can, but we don't want to overdo it and stress him, so we're letting him go at his pace. we can pet and rub him from outside of his pouch and he usually doesn't crab at all. Earlier tonight he was even letting us pet him IN his pouch, with our hand in there. He grumbled a little bit, but mealies kept him content.

But he seems lonely. He runs in his wheel a lot, and sleeps in his ball pit after playing around in it a while. He looks very healthy, he's even filled out a bit since we got him. He's on the BML diet, as are the rest of our gliders, and he's probably the best eater we have. His dish is empty or nearly empty every morning.

But last night he was barking while he was in his pouch. It was sad, because it sounded like a lonely bark, like there was a little whining or crying in it. Not a painful noise, just very lonely sounding. And now today we discovered he has a bald spot on his tail, about 2 inches down from the tip. It's almost a complete bald ring around it, but more on one side than the other. There's also two bald spots (or one in the shape of a figure-eight) on the back of his head. They're small, and for a while we thought maybe it was from the way he tucks his head down in the corner of his pouch, just rubbed thin from that. But now that we've spotted the ring on his tail, I'm certain it's from overgrooming. This is a sign of loneliness, isn't it?

I'm concerned about it, afraid that he'll get worse, or possibly escalate to SM, which would just be a nightmare.

So I'm thinking it might be a good idea to find him a companion. We wanted to wait on this until he was more friendly and social with us, but now I'm not sure if waiting is a good idea, so I wanted to see what people's opinions here are. If we get him a companion now, will it prevent him from becoming more friendly with us? I know I've answered other posts here, when other people ask about the bonding issues with two gliders instead of one and how that shouldn't make it any more difficult to bond with them, but I think the case with Gonzo is a bit different, because as far as I know he's spent his entire life alone. So I'm not sure here.

So, my hypothesis is that if we found another glider that was super friendly with us, Gonzo would see this and it would help him become more friendly as well.

Thoughts?

Last edited by BKaylor74; 04/20/07 12:28 AM.

~Bryan
----------------
Re: Signs of loneliness? [Re: BKaylor74] #266516
04/20/07 12:46 AM
04/20/07 12:46 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
The baldness on his tail is a concern to me as it isn't typical "over grooming" behavior. I would have a wellness check done with a fecal float and smear to check for bacterial or parasitic infection. If he tests healthy, I would really look for a companion for him. Although you may be spending tons of time with him, there is still time when he is alone with no one to cuddle with. If he isn't neutered yet, the wellness check would be a good time to schedule that.

You might also, until you get him a live companion, provide him with a little suggle buddy. Just a very small stuffed toy (that is glider safe) that he can claim as his. While they don't replace the real thing, they often help curb some of the loneliness.

Also, you have other gliders. Are any of them likely to be good play mates for him. Perhaps letting him atleast play for a while with one of the other gliders will help.

From my experience, I really do not believe having a companion will hurt the bonding with you. Considering the alternative of him being lonely, I say the benefits of a companion win out.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Signs of loneliness? [Re: Dancing] #266522
04/20/07 01:05 AM
04/20/07 01:05 AM
Columbia SC
BKaylor74 Offline OP
Glider Explorer
BKaylor74  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Columbia SC
If not over grooming, what does bald spots on their tails usually mean then?

I'll have to check on the vet costs for that tomorrow then. I know it's a minimum of $45 just to be seen, not including any tests or exams done. $150 for neutering which we don't want to do unless absolutely necessary.

We've tried introducing him to Sophie once and he attacked her, but I think that was because he was already stressed at that point. It wasn't really an attack, he just lunged and crabbed and she ran. We'd only had him about a week at that point. There's no way he'd get along with our other boys because none of them are neutered, and I don't want to stress Chloe and Darcia because we think they have babies in pouch again... So Sophie as a temporary play-mate is really our only in-house option at the moment, until another companion can be found for him.

~Bryan
----------------
Re: Signs of loneliness? [Re: BKaylor74] #267447
04/21/07 12:32 PM
04/21/07 12:32 PM
Eastern NC
melek007 Offline
Glider Addict
melek007  Offline
Glider Addict

Eastern NC
You need to get the vet to check him out. I paid $52 for my girl's exam (which is decent).
You really should get him neutered. It will reduce aggression and scent marking, and also will be better for you when he gets a friend. First, because an intact male will only accept a female, and second, if he gets paired with a female they WILL have joeys and gliders are known to show more interest in their 'family' than you. I know $150 is a lot, but that is expected for a glider.

~ I miss my Alev, Nese & Levent ~
Re: Signs of loneliness? [Re: melek007] #267450
04/21/07 12:46 PM
04/21/07 12:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just wanted to assure you that loneliness will not escalate to SM. Potentially overgrooming, as you mentioned, CAN be a sign of stress. It can also be a sign of infection or illness. SM is a natural reaction to pain. The only reason a glider will SM is because it is hurt and wants the pain to go away.

I agree that $150 for neutering is reasonable. Have you checked other vets for other pricing? Mine charged $90 just for the neutering, but I still had to tack on the meds, take home meds, AND the exam. It cost a bit more than $150, but I couldn't be happier. I believe costs range from $35 to over $300.

Re: Signs of loneliness? [Re: BKaylor74] #267551
04/21/07 04:21 PM
04/21/07 04:21 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I was facing the same with Petey (he was overgrooming his head, before I even got him, although he seems to be leaving it alone, as it starting to come back in.) I got two females yesterday (he is already neutered) and in time, I hope they will be a threesome. I suggest you try to find a friend for your guy. MOST gliders would prefer to have a friend, even though some times they need to work the logistics out and they can squabble a bit (Timmy and Gidget still have their squabbles every night, but it is all noise). I would get him checked, just to rule out a medical reason, but it most likely is overgrooming and most likely from stress/loneliness.

Good luck!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Signs of loneliness? [Re: pappy1264] #267902
04/22/07 03:37 AM
04/22/07 03:37 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Other than stress, a bald tail (the more common area is the head) can indicate an infection in there. The 'wound' could be too small for you to see, or have healed over, and what you see is the result. Big enough for bacteria to enter, but not for you to see. Is there anything he could have hurt it on? Keep in mind they can also do it to themselves with overgrooming gone too far.

A vet check would be a good idea. Since this can lead to SM, necrotic tissue, amputation, and even death if an infection goes systemic...if unsure as to cause and he were one of mine, I'd shotgun treat with antibiotics for 10-14 days now just to ensure that if any bacteria are setting up shop, that's taken care of early-it's much harder once it's apparent it's there, on both of you.

Hope this helps, and keep us updated on your little one.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Signs of loneliness? [Re: Xfilefan] #268161
04/22/07 05:42 PM
04/22/07 05:42 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I have to agree with the majority here, Bryan: I know it's a bit costly to have an exam done, but is there truly a price you can put on peace of mind? (not in my books)

Could there be a chance that one of the other gliders got hold of his tail during a recent playtime? Or do you eliminate that possibility by using a tent or having a COMPLETELY separate room for playing? I've had a glider inside the cage pull fur out of the tail from the outside glider simply because they were "in the mood to fight".

If all the health issues are ruled out, then finding a companion who's been LOVED TO THE MAX by its prior owner will be your ticket to solving the problem. I've had several "newcomers" watch how their cagemates interact with me, and it's a REAL icebreaker & fast-track to having the new glider accepting you faster.

I wish I had a young man/lady available for your lonesome sweetie right now, but I just don't. You need a pal much sooner than I can help. Sorry.

But I will wish you luck & wait to see what happens here.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024