Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BML article on GU #291734
05/19/07 07:54 PM
05/19/07 07:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was on GU and read a topic called BML: Breeding Monstrous Lies. I was wondering then why do so many feed it.

Please advise on interpretation.....Reading this leads me to think that I'm not feeding my babies the best that they could be getting. And am now looking into The Sugar Glider Exotic diet and the one modiied by GU.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by sugarlope; 07/06/08 02:28 AM. Reason: changed title ~sugarlope
Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #291744
05/19/07 08:39 PM
05/19/07 08:39 PM
Walker (56484), Minnesota, USA...
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

I just read something about someone being upset because their vet didn't like BML.
That's all the input I have..
Maybe this diet isn't such a good idea?

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Luna, Cibil, Newbie (gerbils)
Koda (rescued dog)
Minket & Angel (rescued cats)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Heron (semi-rescued treefrog)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #291751
05/19/07 08:44 PM
05/19/07 08:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe you should ask Bourbon. She would be able to give you all the info you need.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #291787
05/19/07 10:03 PM
05/19/07 10:03 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
That is what I would suggest. Bourbon definatley understands all that diet "stuff" and ratios way better than me. smile

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: BML Questions [Re: krysKritters] #291791
05/19/07 10:17 PM
05/19/07 10:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I read the same thing you did Jasmine. I feed my gliders BML and they seem to do just fine on it (very healthy and active) and I know a lot of people have been using this diet for years with out problems.

I don't really know what to think about this article and was going to post something about it too. I would really like to see what Bourbon has to say about this. I guess with every diet there will be people who don't like it. That is part of the reason why we don't diet bash around here.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #291797
05/19/07 10:34 PM
05/19/07 10:34 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
This has come up numerous times on this site. GU is very, very, very, very anti-BML. They really don't provide much documentation or information other than diet bashing. Bourbon put alot of work into BML and the ratios are good. There is no difference between reptile vitamins and "mammel" vitamins - same stuff.

Don't go changing your diet due to this. If you decide to change, do so for a good reason. I'll see if I can find the whole discussion on this from earlier!

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: BML Questions [Re: Mel2mdl] #291802
05/19/07 10:38 PM
05/19/07 10:38 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
Okay - this one is about GU in general, not the diet one. Still looking for that one. smile

http://www.sugarglider.net/ubbthreads/ub...true#Post281411

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: BML Questions [Re: Mel2mdl] #291952
05/20/07 09:57 AM
05/20/07 09:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the link I guess I'll have to think more about it and see what is best for my babies.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #291953
05/20/07 10:00 AM
05/20/07 10:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm sorry if anyone thought I was bashing I just want what's best for my babies. Not to hurt anyone.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #291957
05/20/07 10:10 AM
05/20/07 10:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with Mel2mdl. I have never seen any kind of documentation about this. You should choose what diet you want, but I wouldn't take BML out of it because of this article. That is the only place I have seen that attitude towards this diet and I am not changing mine unless I see some negative results that are directly related to the diet. This is true of any diet and not just BML.

I have talked to people who have used this diet for MANY years without problems. My gliders were on a bad diet (that their breeder was using) and with in weeks of changing to a proven diet I saw dramatic results. They are healthy and happy and that is all I want.

I am not saying that BML is the absolute best diet for these guys, but it is right for me. I looked at all of the diets and decided which one I liked. Whatever you choose is fine as long as it is a proven diet. It's good to ask questions, so please continue to do research like you have been doing. You are going to be a great glider slave!

edit: I didn't think you were bashing the diet. I would be concerned too if I read this article while I was choosing a diet. It's good you asked about it laugh

Last edited by ElusiveAngel; 05/20/07 10:12 AM.
Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #291963
05/20/07 10:25 AM
05/20/07 10:25 AM
Doniphan Mo
Carrie T Offline
Glider Addict
Carrie T  Offline
Glider Addict

Doniphan Mo
You aren't the first newby to find this site and question BML nor will you be the last. It comes up several times a year. To me it just shows that you are doing your research. I've been using BML for 6 years and 11 months. I can tell you my gliders are doing just fine on it. wave

Re: BML Questions [Re: Carrie T] #292030
05/20/07 12:10 PM
05/20/07 12:10 PM
Ohio
S
SpikenPea Offline
Glider Explorer
SpikenPea  Offline
Glider Explorer
S

Ohio
Just think of BML as a 3 part diet. A nectar (Leadbeaters), fruit and veggie. So in a manner of speaking each part of the dieat is a supplement. Put them all three together and you have a well balanced diet.

Last edited by SpikenPea; 05/20/07 12:10 PM.

Zookeeper of
our special kids Scooter, Snoopy, Digger, and Rascal
3 Dogs - Trixie and Lilly
3 Cats - Munchkin, Gizmo and Squeaker
1 Naked Mole Rat aka Chihuahua - KiKi
2 Brats (Kids)
and 1 Boss or so She Thinks.LOL (The wife)
Re: BML Questions [Re: SpikenPea] #292113
05/20/07 01:45 PM
05/20/07 01:45 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

Er, reptile vitamins are ALOT different than mammal vitamins.. Reptile vitamins are designed to absorb into reptiles just as the article states. There is also a compound in the repcal that goes into the area that forms new skin for the reptile prior to shedding and helps it absorb the sun's rays even though it is beneath the outer layer of skin. Exposing non-skin-shedding animals to this compound can cause tumors or skin cancer. It's especially dangerous for albinos because of their sensitivity to the sun. The overdose statement is entirely valid as well, although the fact of it is, any pregnant live-bearing creature on this planet that ingests too much of something will usually turn out just fine. The baby almost completely absorbs it. I suspect that this is why people seem to have such a problem with glider cannibalism. There are probably other factors as well, but when the baby absorbs most of the vitamin while mom is pregnant, the mother isn't getting much of it, so when the baby is oop... Munch munch. That's mom's desire to replace her lost nutrition.

I know for absolute fact that everything I say is true in breeding gerbils and rats. But, I have never owned a glider. It just seems to make TOO much sense to me..

Also, take note that I never mentioned any specific diet, but I am willing to say that some supplements are just.. Not meant for gliders. The vitamin itself would be fine if you could seperate the compound from it, but.. You know..

ETA: The skin cancer occurs because alot of this compound concentrates in the skin and if the animal receiving the compound can't shed its skin or release some of it through sitting in the sun(which gliders aren't able to do), it just sits there and collects. Tumors can occur, but gliders are oh so good at hiding their illnesses, and this is why I'm guessing nobody has done research or asked their vet why their glider seems a little chubbier than usual.
I will speak to Dr. Garrison about this later on this evening and providing that this topic isn't locked when I come back, I will let you know what he says about it. The man has been working with gliders since before they were allowed in the states, so he should have a pretty good idea about whether or not this stuff is alright.

Last edited by Shuttershade; 05/20/07 02:02 PM.

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #292284
05/20/07 04:48 PM
05/20/07 04:48 PM
Doniphan Mo
Carrie T Offline
Glider Addict
Carrie T  Offline
Glider Addict

Doniphan Mo
I can't see why this thread would be closed, it's no different than any previous threads about BML. If you don't care to feed your glider reptile vitamans you might want to consider Pricilla's diet. It's also listed in our diets and uses the vitamans you are interested in. thumb

Re: BML Questions [Re: Carrie T] #292292
05/20/07 05:22 PM
05/20/07 05:22 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

I like Priscilla's diet best.. Mostly because I haven't heard anything bad about it.
I need to find a diet that doesn't require a blender. Either that, or I need to get myself a blender.

Anywho..
Garrison's isn't open on Sundays I guess.
But another thought occurred to me. When gliders rip out their fur, perhaps they are trying to get rid of the supplements concentrated in their skin? The fur grows from the skin.. Maybe this also plays a part in the way gliders' coat colors change when they aren't being fed properly.

Just throwing out ideas.

Though I do realize that the hair ripping has been proven stress related..

I don't have a problem with BML, I just don't like the use of reptillian supplements on creatures that are not reptillian..

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #292297
05/20/07 05:29 PM
05/20/07 05:29 PM
Doniphan Mo
Carrie T Offline
Glider Addict
Carrie T  Offline
Glider Addict

Doniphan Mo
The only thing that ever bothered people about Pricilla's diet is that she refused to tell anyone what was in the vitamans. That bothered some people and never fazed others. You have to decide for yourself what will work best. wave

Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #292300
05/20/07 05:34 PM
05/20/07 05:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've not heard of gliders ripping out their fur, unless you are speaking of overgrooming? Generally the cause is stress (and usually someone can find some pretty good indicators of that), poor diet, infection, etc. Also, there are plenty of gliders on diets with reptile vitamins that have wonderful looking coats. I've also never heard of a glider with skin cancer, or dying of skin cancer, and reptile vitamins have been used for years.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292314
05/20/07 05:54 PM
05/20/07 05:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello,

I for one have used this diet for years. I make it myself, and have never had any problems with it. However, they only get it say like on Tues. and Thursday, two days a week. Their are some things to remember, we have so many places on the net that have different opinions and say feed them this, don't feed them that, etc...If you are really concerned go to someone that is credible, and when I say credible I mean a breeder that has been in the business for a long time. Chris, whom is out of Texas has been a breeder for 10+ years now, and she recommends feeding this as well. She also recommends that you give them a frozen ear of corn once every two or three weeks, but be sure to douse it very heavily with Rep-Cal. As I keep rep-cal on all their food to supplement their vitamins. I do not feed meal worms for the simple fact too much protein can cause agressiveness in males. I do however, when my female is pregnant ensure that her protein intake is higher than the other gliders ;-) Hope this helps!!

Paige

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292323
05/20/07 06:04 PM
05/20/07 06:04 PM
Doniphan Mo
Carrie T Offline
Glider Addict
Carrie T  Offline
Glider Addict

Doniphan Mo
Mealworms are more of a fat than a protein. In BML they are used more for cleaning teeth than for their protein. I've never heard of protein causing agressiveness in males either. I must say I've had many more males than females also. dunno

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292326
05/20/07 06:05 PM
05/20/07 06:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Paigea41
Hello,
I do not feed meal worms for the simple fact too much protein can cause agressiveness in males.

They are omnivores, they need protein to be healthy. Too much would be unhealthy, but offereing mealworms in lieu of other sources isn't going to upset things one way or the other. I have two male gliders that get mealworms, as well as other protein sources regularly, and are not aggressive at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I wanted to make it a point that that is not true.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292377
05/20/07 07:18 PM
05/20/07 07:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you have a good point when it comes to the reptile vitamins. Which one of them, rept-cal or herptivite has the skin replenishment compounds in it?

As for trusting a breeder, who has been breeding for 10+ years, well, I am sorry to all you breeders out there, but i just dont trust breeders unless i know them (like the people here on GC) but just because they are breeders, doesn;t make them the end all be all of glider care. breeders, like most other sugar glider owners have questions. You can go on and on about what is the perfect diet for a glider, but the fact of the matter is, there is no ONE PROVEN perfect diet out there.. That info is great new info, and hopefully someone who knows about diets and such can take that into concideration and make another updated version on the diets.. Theres a modified Leadbeaters, which means that the leadbeaters diet has evolved, so why can BML, PML, or any other diet do the same.. I think this info is WELCOMED..

Again, back to the breeders thing, I will ONLY trust a vet. And not just any vet. I will only trust a vet that specializes in gliders (which is extremely hard to come by) or a zoologist. Any single person who has devoted their lives to research on these creatures should be the ones to give indefinite answers to questions like this. I wish that there were more people in this country that have that kind of knowledge, but unfortunately, those people are very hard to find right now.

I have read that in other animals, like dogs, certain protiens can make dogs more aggressive. But if my memory serves me right, it was because of the growth horomones given to the animals that were used to make the food. We all know that the meat in pet foods in not the best, and they use steriods and such on them

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292418
05/20/07 08:12 PM
05/20/07 08:12 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

The skin thing..
Ergh.
Okay.. Most supplements specifically made for reptiles aid in the reproduction of skin and scales in shedding reptiles. In other reptiles that receive this such as tortoises that don't shed, the vitamin concentrates in the shell and claws; making them thicker and stronger (this is mostly the calcium doing the strengthening) and since most of the tortoise's weight is focused on the claws when moving through sand or gravel, the claws are worn down quickly and the concentrated calcium and vitamins in the tortoise's body are activated by the rays of the sun. They aid in digestion and reproduction of other cells in the body. The tortoise's shell grows as the tortoise grows. Ever driven past a pond and seen turtles basking on a log? Tortoises do the same thing, only I think they prefer basking on dry land.
Skin cancer in mammals in nature is always linked to the sun or to the parents. If both parents had skin cancer, the little one should stay out of the sun. With our planet-ruining man-made chemicals, we are able to create skin cancer in much more horrible ways.
In the wild, eastern painted turtles get their calcium by eating snails and clams. They chomp through and eat both the meat and the shell. This is natural. Unfortunately, a turtle that isn't accustomed to doing this may not chew very well and could easily choke. That is why we have calcium supplements. Calcium and vitamins are usually described as different things, although some consider calcium a vitamin and there isn't much wrong with that either as long as both are supplied properly.
Our beloved pets; snakes, turtles, and lizards; must be supplied with artificial supplements instead of eggs, shellfish, or small mammals with bones. Snakes eat eggs in the wild. You've seen how they unhinge those tricky jaws on national geographic. Turtles have the shellfish. Snakes have the bones of their prey. Some species of reptiles don't need alot of calcium whether they are pets or not. Anoles, for example.. They eat the powdered crickets, but they don't necessarily need it. I know of plenty anoles that have never had it and are living just fine.
If a snake were to have a calcium supplement, I could totally understand it. Most feeder mice are bred in horrid conditions. The mothers are not supplied with adequate calcium, therefor the babies are lacking in that department as well. Calcium supplements are probably necessary for the snakes consuming the mice.
But gliders can be fed unpeeled boiled eggs, and now apparently chicken bones are becoming more popular too. If we fed these more often, would these reptile supplements really be necessary?
Aside from calcium, I can't see how a normal diet would be lacking in any other vitamin.. The little fellas eat so many different types of fruit and veggies. Most insects are 80% protien while beef is only 20% to 35%. I'd say gliders are getting fantastic nutrition without reptillian supplements.
There is one perfect way to solve this problem. Someone needs to do hands-on research on gliders living in the wild. But considering an elderly glider in the wild is about seven years old, maybe that wouldn't help. I don't know.
When I get my gliders, I will not allow them to be fed something that was made for a lizard. They aren't lizards. They're sugar gliders. I'll be getting something from the vet.
In the meantime, feed your gliders what they are used to being fed. Call your vet. Whatever you do, don't listen to the fifteen year old.
I apologize for the length of this post, but I am genuinely concerned about this sort of thing. You wouldn't feed an equine anti-inflammatory tablets meant for a canine.. So why would you feed a marsupial supplements meant for a reptile?
I may be young, but this just doesn't sound right at all..
Well, I have to go for now. I have to keep an eye on two of my friend's suggies for tonight.

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #292435
05/20/07 08:39 PM
05/20/07 08:39 PM
Ohio
S
SpikenPea Offline
Glider Explorer
SpikenPea  Offline
Glider Explorer
S

Ohio
Or yu may wish to use the vionate line instead of rep cal. I know that the instructions say no substitutuions, but teh Healesville version uses vionate with no problems.

Zookeeper of
our special kids Scooter, Snoopy, Digger, and Rascal
3 Dogs - Trixie and Lilly
3 Cats - Munchkin, Gizmo and Squeaker
1 Naked Mole Rat aka Chihuahua - KiKi
2 Brats (Kids)
and 1 Boss or so She Thinks.LOL (The wife)
Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #292439
05/20/07 08:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A calcium supplement is necessary in both a captive glider's diet, as well as captive lizards. Both have been shown to develop metabolic bone disease.
The vitamins I know of come from natural sources, so why would chicken bones or egg shells be any different? Obviously, with the powdered vitamins, there is a definite convenience issue. You'd have to waste the chicken to get the bones--you can't cook it in seasonings, and even if left plain, you don't want to eat directly off of the bone, then offer it to your gliders. Also, for people like me, I don't eat chicken, so I'd never have bones readily available.

As far as offering different species meds to another, that's a whole other story. Yes, some things were designed specifically for a certain animal. I'm sure an equine anti-inflammatory would have far more medicine than a dog needs. On the other hand, as an example, several meds made for humans have been used cross species (my brother has to give one of his dogs pepcid ac), while some can be dangerous (aspirin, I think?). Some diets for gliders include cat food and the gliders are healthy. Cat food has additives(I'm sure vitamins) for cat health. Reptile vitamins have been used successfully in gliders for quite some time. I think it's hard to say they are bad for gliders, when there appears to be a pretty good track record.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292440

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm sorry I did not mean for that to come across in a bad way if it did. However, yes, it is very true that it makes them very aggressive, i've experienced it. Yes, they need protein as mine get it, I just have cut meal worms out of their diet and they do not get it often anymore. I have a friend who has bred gliders for 10+ yrs and I called her due to the aggressivness going on amongst the males and she informed me of this. I cut meal worms out, and gave them other things for protein and i've not had anymore problems. I think it all depends on how we raise our gliders as to what we prefer and what we have experienced ;-) But thank you for the info.

Paige

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292468
05/20/07 09:33 PM
05/20/07 09:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just think it would be hard to prove any direct correlation between offering mealies and male aggression. Aside from the fact that many of us have non-aggressive, sweet males AND feed them mealies... I'd also say mine, as well as many others, get at least, if not more than 30% protein total (from your other post).
What explains female aggression, then? Why is it that only males are effected by mealies? How old were your boys when they were aggressive? Gliders sometimes go through a "teenage" stage where they are a bit nippier than usual. Were they near other males? Were they near females? This could also explain aggression in males.
I just think there are far to many variables, as well as overwhelming proof on the other side of the story, to say that this is a fact.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292495
05/20/07 10:13 PM
05/20/07 10:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have several male gliders and I give them all about seventy mealies a week and they are the opposite of aggressive. I have never even heard of that before. I have had gliders accidentally bite my finger instead of the mealworm...but that is and accident, not aggression.

Re: BML Questions [Re: ] #292551
05/20/07 11:07 PM
05/20/07 11:07 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

Catfood is very bad for gliders. Read up on it.

Also, this is the protien issue.
The protien in an animal is mostly concentrated in its muscles. This is why people eat animal muscles (the meat). The more muscle an animal has, the more testosterone it produces. Intact males produce alot of testosterone already, and feeding excessive protien only increases it. The aggression factor may not affect all gliders, not even all intact males, but there is a definite chance of it. The simple solution is to slowly cut down on the protien. I believe that a glider that has been getting lots of protien and suddenly gets none at all is more likely to be aggressive. Also, if they get.. Oh lets say.. All of their protien in one night, the night after they may try to attack another animal or person to get protien from it. Like I said, this doesn't affect all gliders, but it happens.

I wouldn't be too worried about the protien thing unless you see an obvious change in behavior.

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #292558
05/20/07 11:17 PM
05/20/07 11:17 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

And, aproductof, I was talking about feeding canine medications to an equine. You are what you eat. Canines eat meat with a small amount of vegitation to aid digestion and bowel movements along with eyesight. Equines are straight-up herbivores. The specific inflammatory aids maid for a canine will only work properly in a canine. They may help the pain in an equine, but they could promote irritation in the stomach if given orally due to the difference in the way they are digested.
My favorite ever is bird medications or cuttlebone. Cuttlebone is very hard and tough because pet birds use storebought grit to aid in digesting their food. When other animals are fed cuttlebone, it irritates their stomach and often causes them to vomit up other nutrition that they need.
Simple fact: Pets should not be given something that was not specifically made for them.

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: BML Questions [Re: Shuttershade] #292620
05/21/07 12:22 AM
05/21/07 12:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Posted by Shuttershade

"Whatever you do, don't listen to the fifteen year old."

What does that MEAN exactly? That part made no sense to me what so ever.

You make a few good points, but you also make some weak arguments that SOUND informed. You know a lot of reptiles, and I will give you that, but you do not even have a sugar glider yet?

The herptivite vitamins that you are talking about do not mention anything as to producing replenishing cells for reptiles when they shed. So instead I did some reseach as to which vitamins promote cell growth, and which ones inhibit cell growth. Now there are a TON of different types of vitamins on there, so I just do not have time to go through all of them but i did find the following:

Glutamic Acid helps promote healthy nerve endings and is given to help cancer patients.

Choline as is essential in nerve functions and is given to help cancer patients, and animals deficient in choline are suseptable to liver cancer

Niacin has been known to kill hypoxic cancer cells in animals

And thats all i have for now..

But i think facts are more important than talk. You have repeated things that are vague. what in the vitamins or combination of vitamins, minerals and acids that we feed are going cause rapid skin cell growth? Why is it JUST skin cell growth. Just because the it effects the skin of the reptile, doesnt mean it will effect the skin of a mamal the same way. Each species of animals break down and use vitamins, minerals, and acids different ways. So just because it is absorbed by reptiles one way does not mean it is absorbed by sugar gliders the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024