Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safety Concerns About SG Cereal #296869
05/24/07 09:11 PM
05/24/07 09:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It has been a sad week and we have all mourned Laura’s loss of her beloved Jorn & Trinity.
This has been a week to reassess the safety of the foods we feed our little sugar gliders.
I have sat down with Ken from Exotic Nutrition and addressed the concerns we all feel
about this safety.

The following is information from Exotic Nutrition about the Premium Sugar Glider diet (Cereal).

None of the ingredients are from China. All of the grains are locally grown.
They have researched the flagged pet food ingredients and none are present in Premium Sugar Glider diet.
The Premium Sugar Glider diet is sent to them in plastic lined bags for freshness and to keep out moisture.
When Exotic Nutrition places an order, the mill makes it up within 24 hour and does not make it ahead of time.
Exotic Nutrition will begin putting dates and lot numbers on all 40 pound bags of cereal sent to us.
Exotic Nutrition does not recommend buying dry sugar glider foods from pet stores as you will not know
how long the product has been sitting on the shelves.

Information from The Pet Glider about Premium Sugar Glider diet (Cereal)

All bags purchased from us of Exotic Nutrition’s Premium Sugar Glider diet (Cereal) will have dates, lot numbers, and ingredients on the packaging. This will start by the second week June, 2007.
Exotic Nutrition is unable to label their small bags of Cereal. However our larger bags will have dates and lot numbers and that information will be posted of all of the small bags we ship to you.
We are notified when Exotic Nutrition gets a new order of Cereal and we place our order at that time. They have always done this for us.

Storage Instructions:

Keep your cereal in the original package inside an airtight Tupperware container in the freezer. According to the manufacturer this frozen cereal will have a shelf life of 8 months. Our personal recommendation is to use a 5 month shelf life for frozen cereal just to be on the safe side. In a second airtight Tupperware container put the amount of cereal you will be using for the next 1-2 weeks. Keep this second container in the freezer or refrigerator.

All of the 40 pound bags of Cereal we purchase from Exotic Nutrition will have dates, lot numbers, and ingredients on the packaging. This will start the end of May, 2007.

If anyone has additional questions or suggestions please write to me at thepetglider@thepetglider.com

Thank you all for your help and input.

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: ] #297179
05/25/07 05:22 AM
05/25/07 05:22 AM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

I want to thank you, for addressing this problem,

I do have one other question if possible, what would the shelf life be after the package is first opened, I mean that since some people "repackage" the food, it is opened there, so that shelf life is it before or after the opening of it?, will the repackaged labels reflect that date?

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: Bourbon] #297194
05/25/07 08:03 AM
05/25/07 08:03 AM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
I hope all companies and suppliers will follow your example! Thank you for checking with your source to assure the safety of our gliders.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: mattysmom] #297211
05/25/07 09:02 AM
05/25/07 09:02 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Priscilla, thank you.

I would also like to tell those who do keep ANY of their food products in the freezer or fridge that even in an airtight package, if left out even in its container, moisture can be a problem. Many times I have seen people ask, *I forgot my stuff out on the counter and it thawed out, can I put it back in the freezer*. The answer to this is NO. Any time ANY type of food has been left out, it can obtain moisture, that moisture can form mold spores faster than any of us can imagine. Even if we can not see it. It is never safe to put things back after you forget it and leave it out for any long length of time. Please keep this in mind.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: Srlb] #297218
05/25/07 09:07 AM
05/25/07 09:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks for the info

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: ] #297355
05/25/07 11:16 AM
05/25/07 11:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you Pricilla! You have no idea how much this means to me! I am going to be contacting several other manufacturers of Sugar Glider Pellets and ask them to follow suit. I am also going to be contacting as many resellers and repackagers of the pellets and ask them to add this information to their labels as well... Exotic Nutrition is a big step for the community, but we can't stop there. It really helps me dealing with losing my babies, to know that they did not pass un-noticed, and that we have added to the safety of the glider community as a result of their deaths.

Again, you all have no idea how much I appreciate all you have done to make this possible. I will not rest until I have all of the manufacturers properly labeling their foods...

I will be starting another thread asking the community to help me by posting the type of pellets they use and where they get them from. I know a few, but being as new as I am, I don't know all of them. It amazes me that we got this accomplished this quickly... You all made it happen... Thank you for supporting me and the others pushing for this change.

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: Bourbon] #297439
05/25/07 12:47 PM
05/25/07 12:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Shelf Life

Thank you for your input Bourbon. According to Ken at Exotic Nutrition, opening the large bags we receive from them does not affect the shelf life. However the bags must be protected against insects, excess moisture, and excess sunlight. Our products are stored in a cool, dark, dry place. In addition each of our 40 pound bags is used within a week’s time. Ken said the shelf life after the product leaves their warehouse is 2-3 months. If it is stored in the freezer or refrigerator the shelf life is extended to 8 months. Our new labels will be printed by Exotic Nutrition next week. They will include a space to put the lot number and the date of manufacturing. We will continue to make freshness a top priority.

Laura’s new project of checking with other sugar glider pellet companies is excellent. There are other pellets that contain more moisture than Exotic Nutrition’s. Care of those products may be different. I am happy to see new standard going into effect.

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: ] #297450
05/25/07 12:52 PM
05/25/07 12:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thank you all for the input. I have started a page on my website that I will be updating with the information that we recieve, as we get it. I will update the new information from Pricilla when I make it home today. The page is listed below for anyone that wants it.

http://www.suggieshop.com/PelletPackagingInfo.htm

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: ] #297462
05/25/07 01:00 PM
05/25/07 01:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Priscilla,
Did Exotic Nutrition give a reason for not adding the lot numbers to the small bags of food?

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: ] #297804
05/25/07 05:55 PM
05/25/07 05:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exotic Nutrition did not give an exact reason as to why they could not put lot numbers and dates on their small bags. I would suggest asking them each time you order for that information. We will all have to become more proactive with our safety measures.

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: ] #297955
05/25/07 09:44 PM
05/25/07 09:44 PM
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

I agree, I don't think the size of the bag should matter, if it means adding another label, then so be it, I could understand if it were 1 serving packages, but by putting the info on the smaller bags, it also makes the pet stores stay on top of their old products as well.at the minimum it will give the gliders and the owners a fighting chance at the prevention of possible contamination.

It could have been much worse and in the past it was. Over 50 gliders lost their lives. By the company refusing to acknowledge the problems and address them, with compassion, understand and the safety of the gliders in mind, that company is no longer advocated or trusted by many of us that were here during that time.

I applaud you for addressing the issues that needs to be addressed, you have maintained your trust with your customers as well as the community. I understand that it is very hard to do what you have done, but I also know that in the process, the "Jorn Act" as I so loving like to put it, has helped to set a standard to protect the pets we have grown to love so.

I really do mean it, when I say thank you.

Re: Safety Concerns About SG Cereal [Re: Bourbon] #297969
05/25/07 10:14 PM
05/25/07 10:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There you go making me cry again today bourbon! You all are sooo wonderful!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024