Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anesthesia during an exam???? #356242
08/07/07 01:40 PM
08/07/07 01:40 PM

J
jeni395
Unregistered
jeni395
Unregistered
J

I just made an appointment for my gliders (Their first exam) and the lady taking my appointment mentioned that they use a little anesthesia during the exam because they are hard to handle sometimes! I was just wondering if this is normal or even safe??? Only had them for a week so they dont know me yet, so i can imagine how they would be for a vet, but that worries me!! Please help!

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356243
08/07/07 01:41 PM
08/07/07 01:41 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
I have never had a vet anesthetize my gliders for an exam. They were able to collect stool samples simply by handling the gliders. My vet even treated my glider's pouch infection on his own. At the time she was new to me and had never been to this vet.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: princessmegi] #356248
08/07/07 01:46 PM

J
Janw
Unregistered
Janw
Unregistered
J

I would find another vet

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356250
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
None of the vets that have done exams on my gliders have ever used anesthesia for exams. It sounds like this vet is a bit inexperienced or afraid of getting bitten. Part of the wellness checks is watching their activity levels, checking their eyes and such. If under anesthesia, I don't see how they can do an accurate check.

Anesthesia for any animal (including humans) poses a risk. Anesthesia can repress the respritory system and even cause the heart to just stop. This is a risk that I would not be willing to take for a simple wellness check.

In the past 10 years, I've had 2 gliders die under anesthesia. Thankfully both were recessitated but if the vet had been inexperienced, both probably would have been lost.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: princessmegi] #356252
08/07/07 01:50 PM
08/07/07 01:50 PM

J
JR
Unregistered
JR
Unregistered
J

Has this vet handled many gliders? I took my babies to the vet even right after I got them and yes, they squirmed and crabbed but he handeled them well nonetheless

Id question something like that. Anesthesia is a tricky thing and personally i'd avoid it unless necessary since a lot of complications can arrise. I am not sure what 'mild anesthesia' he might mean though

is there another vet you might be willing to try? I just havent heard of that at all and i work for a vet...only when dealing with a feral(wild) animal thats been hurt and needs treatment, and then its full out anesthesia

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356259
08/07/07 01:56 PM
08/07/07 01:56 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
A small amount of anesthesia would possibly be necessary if the vet was checking the teeth. But that's not usual.

My vet does the whole exam with my gliders climbing all over me and her. We have to get them to hold still long enough for her to listen to the heart - but other than that, she's been able to check their ears and eyes, check their condition, etc without them being still, let alone anesthesia.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356265
08/07/07 01:59 PM
08/07/07 01:59 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
My vet put mine under mild anesthesia the first time they were examined. He's not had too much experience with gliders, but is the best available around here (and still an hour away). Of course, if I had been more knowledgeable at the time, I may have said no to that. But they were fine - his reasoning was that it's a lot less stressful for the gliders and the humans for the gliders to be a little out of it when they need such an extensive check (ears, eyes, teeth, etc...) Aside for that initial checkup and of course, the surgeries, he hasn't put them under since... dunno

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: Usha77] #356271
08/07/07 02:06 PM
08/07/07 02:06 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
You know, I would like to add:

When I take any of my Moomin Clan in, at this point I would actually recommend to the vet that she use anesthesia. It would depend on the glider - but this group is SO scared that being handled would just stress them and me and the vet too much.

When they are a bit calmer, I wouldn't think it would be necessary - but right now - I can't even look at them unless I wear gloves. frown

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #356285
08/07/07 02:18 PM
08/07/07 02:18 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
So far everyone has given you good suggestions on the pro's and con's of giving anesthesia. My suggestion would be to first have the vet try and do the exam, see how they react and then decide. A routine physical isn't something that requires alot of medical care. Since your are going to need them go give a stool sample, and getting a glider to poopie on the spot is rather difficult, so I would suggest to try and collect a stool sample as close to the time that you can. Put it in a baggie and keep it in the frig. When transporting it to the vets just put it in a cooler. Getting a urine sample is alot easier at the vets...about an hour before you go start giving your glider extra liquids. I would suggest that you bring a piece of fleece that has their scent on it or a easy access pouch. The vet can hold the gliders in the fleece while doing some parts of the exam. The entire process per glider shouldn't take more than 15 minutes at tops.
Have some of their favoriate treats available as well. If they like mealies, while the vet is doing the exam they can be munching down.....hope some of this helps..good luck and my thoughts will be with your babies. hug2

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: LSardou] #356291
08/07/07 02:23 PM
08/07/07 02:23 PM

J
jeni395
Unregistered
jeni395
Unregistered
J

Thank you everyone for the advice! I just cancled that appt and went with the other vet in my area. Asked if they used anesthesia and they said no, unless they were totally uncontrolable. I feel much better taking them to this one knowing they dont use it. I will also bring treats and of course their fleece! Thanks again!!!

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356365
08/07/07 03:33 PM
08/07/07 03:33 PM

W
Winston_N_I
Unregistered
Winston_N_I
Unregistered
W

I agree with JR! Working in vet I know that there are animals that are just UNMANAGABLE! That's just the case sometimes much like JR said ferral or wild cats!

Though I have seen vets give, what they call anesthesia but is really just a light tranquilizer to some of those cats instead of anesthesia! This does not hold or pose the risks of anesthesia but like any drug can still be dangerous!

I saw one vet give this to a dog that was COMPLETELY unmanagable without it's owner around because we needed to prep him for surgery! Hard to prep a dog who has allready bitten the vet and two other vets in trying to manage him! He was also a 180 pound St. Bernard! 3 female techs and 1 Male vet still could not subdue the dog! Sometimes vet's do things like this just for everyones safety and like some people said here, this vet may be doing it so that they don't get bitten, but to me that sounds like a vet who hasn't dealt with them before! It's nothing that a towel and a stearn but gentle restraint can't take care of if it's needed!

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356411
08/07/07 04:35 PM
08/07/07 04:35 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Mackenzie, you are right, I've worked at vets as well and sometimes anesthesia or sedatives really ARE needed.

However, for most glider exams, unless the glider really is wild and crazy (like the Moomin clan Val mentioned), anesthesia is probably an unnecessary risk. The only time the vet knocked one of my gliders out was when he did bloodwork on Kirby since Kirby had been acting so funny.

I am glad you found a different vet. My previous vets had been able to do the whole exam just by holding the glider in a towel. They can actually gently open the mouth with the wooden end of one of those swabs too to see the teeth (although usually they can see them on Tanooki anyways since she's so busy crabbing, hehe).

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356440
08/07/07 05:09 PM
08/07/07 05:09 PM

M
missyandbrent
Unregistered
missyandbrent
Unregistered
M

One of our first gliders Xena. Had problems with this lump she would get (a blocked saliva gland) and it sometimes needed drained and frequently needed checked and she was just completely out of control during an exam, she was a rescue and not tame to begin with so you can only imagine how stressful vets office visits were for her so they did used to sedate her with some gas. I always hated it but it needed to be done. I would say avoid it if you can though.

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356469
08/07/07 05:55 PM
08/07/07 05:55 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
[font:century gothic]definitely take thier favorite treats with you, it'll help them hold still && it'll also help make them realize that the vet isn't such a bad person/place. [/font]

Holly & Jeff heart
Misos Phoenix Keegan Knuckles // Asa Etienne Kyrian // Cheyenne Peyton Godiva

RIP my sweet gangel babies, mommy loves you!
Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: Holly1221] #356478
08/07/07 06:02 PM
08/07/07 06:02 PM

J
Jen_S
Unregistered
Jen_S
Unregistered
J

I work at a vet clinic that sees exotics. We avoid anesthesia if at all possible. We generally handle the birds, rats, hamsters, gliders using fleece. They are safer than towels (hooked toenails). About the only time we use anesthesia on any of the small critters are for surgery or blood draws. We use it for the bllod draws because their bodies are so tiny that if they squirm at the wrong moment, there is a chance that damage can be done.
We do have dogs that have to be tranquilized for nail trims. We generally use an oral one that the owner give before coming in- one is a rottie that weighs over 100 pound and could do some serious damage to himself or us. We also have cats that have to have anesthesia just to get a thourough exam (I used to own one). Bottle fed kittens can be just as bad as the feral cats (though not always the case) because they have no fear of people whatsoever.

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356491
08/07/07 06:27 PM
08/07/07 06:27 PM

S
sugarpooch
Unregistered
sugarpooch
Unregistered
S

I recommended to my vet as well to put Pooch under anesthetics because he was so nasty at the time. Not all vets do it, its not common but its not uncommon either if you know what i mean. dunno

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356495
08/07/07 06:42 PM
08/07/07 06:42 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I've never had to have any of mine put under for a wellness exam dunno

We do go in once a month - every 6 weeks, not for an appointment per say (unless it's needed), but just as a "Hi, how ya doin" type thing, they get weighed and have play time with all the people there. I've found that it helps them stay familiar with the vet/techs/surroundings, and I've found that the stress levels for when we really need the vet are a lot lower because they are more familiar with the people there.

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356497
08/07/07 06:45 PM
08/07/07 06:45 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
I think a lot of it depends on the disposition of the glider as well as the vet's experience with them. Nynaeve was a little she-bear, never would have let the vet check her out without it. She is still very wild, although a little less so than 5 months ago. Lan, on the other hand, is much more mellow, and as I said, aside from the initial exam and his surgeries & suturing (oh, the poor little guy's been put under 4 times in the last 5 months! - I just realized! frown I hope it never has to happen again!), he's never had to be put under, the vet lets him crawl around on him or I hold him so the vet can check him out. The vet thinks Lan is just the sweetest little guy, even though he poos and pees on him... wink

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: Usha77] #356517
08/07/07 07:17 PM
08/07/07 07:17 PM

M
MrsMaris
Unregistered
MrsMaris
Unregistered
M

I work at a veterinary hospital and they have 3 exotic doctors working there.
I watch them work with the rats, bunnies, ferrets, birds, hamsters, squirrels etc. and they never put any of them under anesthesia.
I was reading through their books too about the sugar glider parts. I copied them on the copy machine etc. ( lol everyone was making fun of me for being a book worm in the summer)

In the book, they have a specific way to grab the glider to restrain them if and when they get completely out of hand. (similar to restraining a cat)
but in the book and after extensively watching these doctors and talking with them about my gliders they have never said anything about anesthesia.

In fact when i bring them in sometimes just for fun to let everyone meet them and let them check out some new stuff (i know weird my gliders dont mind the vet lol)
they just hold the gliders and let them crawl all over them and everyone giggles at how goofy they are and how far they jump to get to me etc.

i think your vet should be friends with your animal if your animal will have it.

but unless your vet knows for a fact that your animal is completely out of hand with strangers then i think some anesthesia would be recommended.

I wouldnt allow a vet to put my animal under anesthesia without meeting the animal and saying "okay mr. glider is completely out of hand, would you mind if we put them under anesthesia the next time we have a visit for safety?"

i would feel more comfortable doing so then

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356579
08/07/07 08:57 PM
08/07/07 08:57 PM

L
LissaJane
Unregistered
LissaJane
Unregistered
L

I just took mine to the vet today and she used anesthesia. They have all seen her before and she hasn't done it for check ups before, but she did today because we had their nails trimmed. They get so freaked out by me trying to trim them that they will pull little tuffs of fur out (they will over groom from the stress). They don't even go all the way under, she gives them just a tiny bit to make them groggy and then clips they nails and checks their teeth too. For a normal exam though, they are totally fine. And she does have experience with gliders and has been in contact with vets from Australia in order to find out the most accurate information possible. She really is great with exotics.

Re: Anesthesia during an exam???? [Re: ] #356711
08/07/07 11:38 PM
08/07/07 11:38 PM
Van Alstyne, Texas
Lucky_Glider Offline
Glider Lover
Lucky_Glider  Offline
Glider Lover

Van Alstyne, Texas
I hope this is still on topic, but one of the measures we use to choose a vet is the "bedside manner" and patience they show when you ask questions. We found one that sat with us patiently for a whole hour chatting about health, diet, behavior, etc. We felt so great about this that we pay a premium to go to this vet. I mean, yes they have to be competent, but it also counts for them to be helpful and nice and educational too....

Lucky_Glider
Lucky Glider Rescue & Sanctuary
ed@LuckyGlider.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024