Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
inner ear infection #374623
08/31/07 05:33 PM
08/31/07 05:33 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

Has anyone had any experience with this problem. My glider walks in circles and her balance is all off. She cannot seem to work the water bottle. The vet put her on baytril/pred. mix. I just want to hear what others have gone through with this. I only read one story and the glider died. I am hoping for the best, thanks Chrissy

Last edited by sdopey76; 08/31/07 05:56 PM.
Re: inner ear infection [Re: ] #374624
08/31/07 05:40 PM
08/31/07 05:40 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Did your vet determine that your glider has an inner ear infection? How long has this been going on?
How long has she been on medication?
It isn't abnormal for them to have "vertigo" or "dizzyness".
I would like to suggest that you set things up in her cage on a lower level so that she doesn't have to struggle to climb or take a chance of falling. Also, if she is having difficulty with drinking from the water bottle, you can put a small feeding dish with water in there for her.
I hope she is going to be alright, please keep us posted. Keeping you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers. hug2

Re: inner ear infection [Re: LSardou] #374629
08/31/07 05:52 PM
08/31/07 05:52 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

The vet looked at her (no test or anything) said it looked like syjures (I cannot spell sorry). Or possible inner ear infection. She was not really herself a few days ago, I took her to work with me and hand fed her she just seemed weak and a bit dehydrated. Then the next couple days she seemed okay. Last night though I went to feed her when I got home, she was still in her pouch. I looked in on her and when she looked up at me her head was just going back and forth! She looked so frustrated I took her out and she just kept on going in circles and stumbling. I moved her to a pet carrier so she would not keep trying to climb the cage walls (she would loose her balance and I was afraid she would fall). I fed her in a very shallow dish and put water in a dish, she did drink some of that and ate a grape but she would eat really fast, and then wonder around like she was looking for something, she fell in the water bowl and food bowls a few times. She would look up and that was the only time she did not shake. She eats well and I have her in a travel pouch right now. She has alot of energy, just not normal energy. (hope that helps some)

Re: inner ear infection [Re: ] #374630
08/31/07 05:54 PM
08/31/07 05:54 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

sorry she went to the vet today and just now started meds.

Re: inner ear infection [Re: ] #374634
08/31/07 06:05 PM
08/31/07 06:05 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Did your vet suggest that you bring her back in for a follow-up?
The symptoms that your describing can be several different problems.
What other tests did your vet do besides look at her?
If that is all that they did, I would take her back and insist on doing further testing, fecal float/smear, urinalysis, check the inside of her mouth for abscess or infection to her teeth or gums.

Please make sure that she is getting plenty of fluids and keep her calm and warm.

Re: inner ear infection [Re: LSardou] #375495
09/02/07 12:21 PM
09/02/07 12:21 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

Well she is still walking in circles but not as much, she also is not shaking her head as much. She is able to drink from her water bottle now, I was feeding her with a dish because she could not find the bottle. She can also find her food if I try to give it to her and it falls into the pouch, she will go get it. So, I think that is some improvment. I did not rush her back to the vet. I am not so trusting of the vets office. I use this one because I know they work with gliders. However, I have went to other vets too that have worked with gliders and they seem so knowlegable. Then the glider dies and they can't tell me why! Not even after a nacropsy. So, I just don't trust them. I see that there is only one vet in my area on the database and no info as to anyones experience with them. I don't know. I just don't trust vets, like I don't trust doctors, or lawyers or salesmen.... if anyone can give me a referal in my area that they have had good experience with that they know, knows there stuff that would be great. I am just a skeptic. The whole point of this ranting post is to say my girl is showing some improvment so I think thats good right?

Last edited by sdopey76; 09/02/07 12:22 PM.
going to a different vet [Re: ] #378092
09/06/07 10:04 PM
09/06/07 10:04 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

Well, my girl is still doing the same thing walking in circles and shaking. I am going to a different vet for a second opinion. She is out of meds. She still eats (like she is starving) and drinks. Hope they can help.

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #378097
09/06/07 10:12 PM
09/06/07 10:12 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
Were you able to get a vet referral from another member, or just trying another one that you found? Maybe let us know what part of Illinois you are in and someone may be able to help.

I hope you're able to get her in soon - it sounds like she's really having problems. Please let us know how she's doing. hug2

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: going to a different vet [Re: TracieB] #378703
09/07/07 07:10 PM
09/07/07 07:10 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

Well this vet thinks that baytril/pred mix is best option at this time and that since there are some improvements, it may just take time. So we will keep on with the meds and see what another week does. They looked in her ears, watched how she acted. I really have noticed improvements. Its just slow going. We will see......

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #380539
09/10/07 08:21 PM
09/10/07 08:21 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

Well we are getting blood work and a fecal done in the morning. Poor girl still the same. I can't leave her in her cage and I worry about my other glider, she is so lonely. I put Missy in at night for a little while (only when I am present) and they crawl all over eachother grooming and such.Hopefully this will help find what is causing this. Has ANYONE EVER had a glider act like this? I hand feed her, because on her own she makes such a mess and gets covered in food. I put water or gatoraide in a lid for her to drink, she can find the water bottle but I offer her it through out the day so she gets enough. During the day in the pouch she is fine, I feed her from time to time, a grape here a mealie there. She looks like a normal glider, but out of the pouch she runs in circles (most of the time) she did attempt to climb up the cage wall last night, I stayed close by. She did fall but I caught her. She some times circles into the wall. She cannot run in her wheel, she does get in, but crawls back out. I worry she will stay like this. Like she has some kind of head trauma. Her ears are up, she would seem normal if not for the circling. So frustrating. I hope tomorrow helps some.

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #380565
09/10/07 08:40 PM
09/10/07 08:40 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
How long have you had her? If you got her from someone else is there any way that you can get some background history.
It dose sound like a neruological dysfunction.
Did you vet look deep into the ear canal?

If you have had her for awhile and she just started this behaviour, is there a chance that she could have fallen?

Re: going to a different vet [Re: LSardou] #380588
09/10/07 09:08 PM
09/10/07 09:08 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

The vet did look in her ear, not as deep as she would have liked, however they may tomorrow.

I have had her for a few years now, I think she is around 3yrs old. Her first owner was a college student. He was selling her and her cage mate for $50 in the paper. I took them fast (who knows where they would have gone). They were on a terrible diet. They looked greasy and dirty. I change them to bml. One glider died within the first two days. Then Missy started chewing on her tail. With constent attention, and a good diet. This stopped, she has a crooked tail but other wise has been fine until now.

They have a large cage (glider room really) The walls are about 6ft. I guess it is possible she did fall, however I have no way of knowing this. They're wheels are on the floor of the cage. The food bowls hang on the wall, and they have fleece ropes and cardboard tubes to climb on and in. None of the tubes are new. They have all been in for at least 6mths.

If this is a parasite, or infection, or calcium difficiency, wouldn't my other glider be sick too?

This girl is underweight (vet says) she weighs 69.

My other girl is twice her size (not really but much bigger)

This one has always been small. I figure she just had stunted growth from a poor diet when young. (thought anyways)
The vet thought maybe other glider hogs food, but I put in 2 bowls and they always have food left in them the next morning.

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #380844
09/11/07 07:42 AM
09/11/07 07:42 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I had two gliders who showed the symptoms that you are describing. You can read about them by going to Ear Infection or Neurological Damage? They would both run in tight circles and could not seem to walk a straight line. When standing still, their heads would "tick" from side to side, as if they had just gotten off a spinning ride and they were dizzy. With Cricky, he would circle in one direction and Pika would circle in the opposite direction. Sadly, Cricky succumbed to it within a couple of months. Pika hung on longer, but also passed away a few months later. Before their passing I had to make many adjustments to their cage in order to accomodate their special needs. You can read more details about my experiences with this by going to my thread in the Special Needs forum titled Neurological Damage. Sadly, Cricky passed away just three days after I made that post cry
I hope and pray that your glider truly has an ear infection as opposed to neurological damage, but only time will tell. You are doing great by getting a second opinion and having all the tests run possible. Please continue to keep us updated.
Edited to Add:
Thought I should also mention that for both Pika and Cricky, they sustained neurological damage due to a series of strokes. Both of them were older gliders at about 12 years old at the time... Ask your vet about the possibility of strokes as well as the possibility of some type of toxin exposure.

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 09/11/07 07:50 AM.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: going to a different vet [Re: sugarglidersuz] #381461
09/11/07 10:47 PM
09/11/07 10:47 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

Thank you so much for the link to your post. So sorry to here what you went through with your little guy. Seeing these symptoms first hand, I see how stressful it is. This story is what kind of info I was looking for. I will definetly mention a possible stroke to the vet. How would they check for that?
We had blood work done today. So, I guess I will see how this goes. I am having a hard time with getting her to take meds. This morning she almost choked to death on a meal worm!! I freaked out! I mean how do you deal with a choking glider!!! SO SCARY!!! But other then that all is the same. She will not eat BML not for the past two days. She likes her corn (staying away though since thats all she will eat). Today she has had sweet potato (baby food) chicken (baby food) a few grapes. The meal worms (no more of those for now.) She is not interested in water, only with gatoraide in it. She has also had a bit of yogart. Any suggestions on what else to give her?? Since she doesn't want her BML and I know she should be eating it. I am still offering some every night and in the morning.

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #381626
09/12/07 07:34 AM
09/12/07 07:34 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Chrissy, I know with Pika & Cricky they had a very hard time eating on their own immediately after their strokes. We had to tip their food bowls sideways so that they could get into the bowls more easily...

We found that once we did that, they ate with gusto again! Try that and see if it makes a difference in her BML consumption. If not, then you can try offering her Ensure (my gliders prefer the Mixed Berry or Vanilla flavors). Right now, with her being sick, the important thing is to get food into her - not to worry about balance in the diet. Once she's well again, you can get her back on the specific BML regimen thumb
Unfortunately, I don't think there's really any way the vet can test for a stroke - it's more an analysis of the symptomology. Definitely something to discuss with your vet though, especially since your glider is having difficulty eating...

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: going to a different vet [Re: sugarglidersuz] #381712
09/12/07 12:21 PM
09/12/07 12:21 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 Sending your little one tons of hugs and prayers!
I saw where you mentioned that you were having trouble giving your baby meds. Here is a link that might help with some ideas.
Giving Medication
Also, I found when when I had to give meds to my gliders, by mixing it in with (a very tiny bit) of yogurt, applesauce, or baby food worked well.

Re: going to a different vet [Re: LSardou] #382063
09/12/07 09:10 PM
09/12/07 09:10 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

SO SORRY (in advance) THIS IS LONG.

I have gotten into a daily routine, she spends 30 min. in cage (with me) and Squirlie girlie "Shug" (my other glider)in the morning, then goes to work with me 8am to about 11:30pm (temporary crazy schedule.. aweful timing). Then when I get home we spend another 30 min. in the cage. Then she goes into her pet carrier for the night. I hate to do that but I can't leave her alone. She has been making attempts to climb the cage walls. She is getting better but still stumbles and has almost fallen (I am always right there to catch her). During the day she seems okay. Even out of the pouch not too much circling. However, at night is really bad. Like she just wants to do normal glider stuff and can't do it. She loves to eat, so I will just keep giving her what she will eat. Thanks for the giving meds link. Its pic #3 thats what our problem is she shakes her head. I have tried to mix it and she won't touch it. Like she knows its in the mix. I have started only squirting a very small amount in her mouth at a time, which has helped. Not enough to spit out i guess. I have still not heard back from the vet. She knows I will be out of town this weekend, so I hope to hear from her before I leave. How long does that take to get info on blood work? I think I will call tomorrow if they don't call me, if not just to mention the possiblity of a stroke. Can they give her anything for that or would it just take time. Poor girl. And poor Shug, no one to play with.
Thank you for all your help I sure hope she gets back to normal. I feel bad for her not being able to play like she would like too.

I am working on a newer cage, one not so far away from where we are at night. So they are more part of the family. It has fleece ropes for climbing and ladders, no wire except on the door. The cage itself is actually a closet. I was thinking of a fleece hamock like for the bottom of the cage, using cup hooks in each corner and if anyone were to fall there would be a net to catch them.
I also want to get a pic of the two of my girls side by side so you can see the difference Missy looks like Shugs joey. I never noticed how different they were in size! Shug is more stand offish. She alway keeps her distance. So, the two side by side I never really see. It is unreal how small Missy is in comparison.

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #382076
09/12/07 09:44 PM
09/12/07 09:44 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Thank you Chrissy for the update. Bless her little heart. She knows that your doing all that you can to help her, and with that her love for you grows deeper.
Is there a way that you could put another glider in with her for a few hours at night? I'm not sure what your procedure was, but if she was housed with them prior to this, maybe having a playmate in with her for a little while will help with her spirits. Just a thought.
The blood tests usually take anywhere between 7-14 days, depending on what they are looking for.
Sending lots of prayers and hope that the test results will come in soon. hug2

Re: going to a different vet [Re: LSardou] #382230
09/13/07 07:29 AM
09/13/07 07:29 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the update. Sadly, there really isn't anything they can do to treat a stroke, but with time, they symptoms do lessen and the glider learns to accomodate for their "handicap". You can help with her rehabilitation but exercising her outside of the cage. I would place Pika & Cricky on my queen-sized bed so they would have a soft place to run and then allow them to run for a long time. Sometimes I would place my hand in their path to make them redirect their circuit. In time, their circles got bigger and bigger and then they started to do some straight lines, too.
sounds like you have a good plan for setting up the closet for them. Just make sure the door comes close enough to the floor (less than 1/2" gap) so that the gliders won't be able to crawl under it and escape. You would also need to hang fleece on the walls so they have something they can grip onto for climbing up.
Hope she gets better at taking her meds for you. Please continue to keep us updated.
hug2

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: going to a different vet [Re: sugarglidersuz] #385455
09/17/07 09:54 PM
09/17/07 09:54 PM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

This is just a quick update.

She is still running into walls and in circles at night.

vet called Friday, she is waiting on a call from someone to give more insight into the blood work results.

She is really concerned about her weight (70 grams)

She also says possible something wrong with her kidneys.

I have been paying much more attention to her and Shug when they are together. Shug would never come around me when I was in the cage, but now that Missy is with me all the time Shug will come right up to me, to be around Missy. They really look totally different. Missy is much smaller in size. Shug has really big eyes compared to Missy and twice the tail. (Missy chewed much of hers up when I first got her). I wonder if she had some developmental issues from such a poor diet when younger??

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #385664
09/18/07 07:37 AM
09/18/07 07:37 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the continued updates. Keeping you and her in my prayers hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: going to a different vet [Re: sugarglidersuz] #386345
09/19/07 12:15 AM
09/19/07 12:15 AM

S
sdopey76
Unregistered
sdopey76
Unregistered
S

Well the vet says kidney levels slightly elivated, not enough for concern. Since she is eatting well they do not feel there is a problem there. Everything else looks normal, so they have NO IDEA what is wrong with her. This is my second opinion on her. So, looks like I am at a stand still. It is frustrating cuz I feel so bad for her at night, not being able to play. Poor girl. Tomorrow I am getting some vitamin B complex from the vet for her, and they said to make sure she is getting plenty of protien, so we are boosting the amount of mealies and chicken. I just hope she comes out of it. I weighed her tonight and think she may have LOST weight. I hope my scale is wrong, going to have her weighed at vets office to double check. Thanks for your prayers. Missy thanks you too!!!

Re: going to a different vet [Re: ] #386435
09/19/07 02:00 AM
09/19/07 02:00 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 I'm sorry that they haven't come up with a diagnosis for her yet.....Are they going to do further tests? Just curious, did they check her vision?
Keeping your sweet baby in my thoughts and prayers. heart

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024