Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vomiting #375948
09/03/07 01:02 PM
09/03/07 01:02 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
How many here have had gliders vomit? Why did they vomit? What did you do about it? How long did it last? How is the glider now? What made it better? Just tell your story I guess. Please.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Vomiting [Re: USMom] #375987
09/03/07 01:52 PM
09/03/07 01:52 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I had one glider vomit once. He was up in the middle of the day, when I saw this, of course I immediately grabbed him and ran to the vets. They did all the necessary tests, and everything came back negative. They put him on Batryl for 5 days as a precaution.
The next day he was back to his normal self. My vet decided that he had an upset stomach. This was almost 4 months ago and he has been healthy and happy ever since.

Re: Vomiting [Re: LSardou] #376022
09/03/07 02:42 PM
09/03/07 02:42 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
One of the people that bought one of my joeys called me at 6 am one morning a couple of months after she got him (so he was about 15+ wks OOP) that he had been vomiting and was lethargic. She brought him over and he was barely moving (I thought he was almost dead). I had called to make an emergency appt. So we took him in (he vomited again in the office).

The vet went over everything and figured out it was from feeding adult crickets to joey/young sugar gliders. They aren't able to handle the criatin (sp?) in the exoskeleton until they are older (suggested about 9 months to a year). She also said to only feed newly shed mealworms to young gliders because it can happen with them as well.

She gave subQ fluids and sent him home with Lactated Ringers Solution for subQ at home and antibiotics (there were two meds, but I don't recall what the other was for, and this wasn't 'my' animal, so I don't have records - sorry). The woman wasn't comfortable with the subQ, so I kept him at my house and nursed him through. It took about 2 months before he recovered completely. (Which he did and never had anymore problems with vomiting). I am sorry to say that he is no longer with us, but it is not related, her father sat on his pouch and him when he was a year OOP. cry

But until this all happened, I didn't know the problems with young gliders and adult insects.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Vomiting [Re: LSardou] #376023
09/03/07 02:43 PM
09/03/07 02:43 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
When I first got my Carina in October of '04, she would get very wet every time I put her into a closed-up bonding pouch. This happened 3 times before I figured out what she was doing cry She was vomiting all over herself inside the pouch. After that, I waited until she was fully bonded with me before closing up the bonding pouch and she never did it again... Apparently it was stress-induced.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Vomiting [Re: sugarglidersuz] #376035
09/03/07 03:17 PM
09/03/07 03:17 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Suz, when your Carina did this, how long was it before she ate again and started acting normal? Do you remember?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Vomiting [Re: USMom] #376041
09/03/07 03:27 PM
09/03/07 03:27 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Shawna, when I had my Spike (the rescue I took in) I had him all set up and he was doing great. Then one day he started to vomit. It started out of nowhere. He was on the same diet as everyone else, and I noticed his hands seemed to be like he was arthritic. Of course I took him in. Dr.T did all the test he could, said we needed bloodwork, but with the condition Spike was in, it would probably kill him to do that. So we put him on meds and pretty much was waiting for him to die. After talking with Joy that night, I realized, he had one of those windspinner toys in his cage.
He loved playing with that thing, but unknown to us at that time, it was toxic. He was slowly dying from a toxic toy.

I removed the toy and within a week he was back to normal and fine. Thank God.

I have my supplier fixin to call me in about 15 minutes, but if you need to talk give me a call around 3:30 thumb

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Vomiting [Re: Srlb] #376156
09/03/07 08:17 PM
09/03/07 08:17 PM
Michigan
S
sugeebaby Offline
Glider Slave
sugeebaby  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Michigan
I have two gliders that have vomitted. I call them my bulemic(sp) gliders.
Rei used to vomit if I gave him more than one mealie in the morning. After about a week of him grabbing the second mealie and heading down to the bottom of the cage to eat it then proceeding to vomit. I realized his lil tummy can only handle one mealie in the morning. Since then he has not vomitted and it has been sveral months.
Duchess is other one that started the same thing a coupld of weeks ago. She has been eating mealies since I got her two years ago with no problem. About two weeks ago she decided after the second mealie it was too much and would go to the bottom of the cage and vomit the third mealie up. I have since stopped giving more than one per gliders.
I called the vet the other night to ask him about it and he had never heard of a glider vomitting but suggestion the same thing no more than one mealie

Karen
President of The Glider Initiative
:bb: The Glider Crue :grey:

The Pampered Glider

The Glider Initiative
Have you educated someone today?

Re: Vomiting [Re: sugeebaby] #376332
09/04/07 06:05 AM
09/04/07 06:05 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I have had three vomit due to giardia (rescues that were too far gone when I got them, and are now deceased), one due to an intestinal blockage (deceased), one from a bad reaction to Baytril (Gim...he pulled through, barely, and lasted another two years before succumbing to liver failure), one from choking on a mealworm, and Clotho, who the antibiotic fixed whatever it was going on, suspect bacterial infection, and she is just fine. There can be a lot of reasons (normally, not good ones). I have heard of it happening from stress, but not had one that did for that reason, and it's not too common. I'd rule out other things first.

US Mom...is there something going on with one of your little ones? worried

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Vomiting [Re: Xfilefan] #376335
09/04/07 06:49 AM
09/04/07 06:49 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Shawna,
Carina would act normal again and eat normally the same evening after her episodes... In other words, I would put her in the bonding pouch in the late morning and by that evening, she would eat with her normal gusto dunno

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Vomiting [Re: sugarglidersuz] #376358
09/04/07 08:35 AM
09/04/07 08:35 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I have my little "stress ball", Dex who threw up the other night. Now, I can move something in his cage, and he stresses out, so it takes very little. But, I'm not real bright sometimes, and thought putting them in a new, nicer bigger cage wouldn't be a big deal. Oh, sheesh was I wrong! He didn't do very well at all. He loved it, was having a ball, but throwing up. Kind of like the little kid at the birthday party. So...they are back in their old cage, and the vomiting stopped when I moved them back. But, I've only really heard of gliders vomiting a few times, and the outcome of those was death. So, I wanted to reassure myself that he wasn't going to just keel over.

They are back to normal now. They ate last night, and got up and played like normal. Now we just have to do very slow intro's to the new cage.

Shawna

Re: Vomiting [Re: USMom] #376595
09/04/07 05:48 PM
09/04/07 05:48 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
If you know that he does it from stress, then, I'm sure you know, just keep things as stress free as possible. If you werent' sure, I'd say to rule out illness before just saying 'stress', but I know it can happen-my stresser girl didn't vomit, but had seizures.

When gliders do vomit from stress, I would think about taking a sample into your vet to have cultured at least once, though-just in case something is off in there that's making them (or their tummy) more sensitive to the stress than they should be-does that make sense?

I'm glad your little guy is feeling better now!

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Vomiting [Re: Xfilefan] #376603
09/04/07 06:04 PM
09/04/07 06:04 PM
Springfield, IL
uraqt33 Offline
Glider Guardian
uraqt33  Offline
Glider Guardian

Springfield, IL
One of my gliders projectile vomited all over the wall once...it was disgusting.

What happened was the night before I had hid yoggies through out their cage...I think there were 5 yoggies in all and I have 4 gliders in that cage. Well, one of my gliders must have found the majority of them and ate them all himself because in the morning their was red yoggie vomit all over one part of the wall, running down to the floor boards. I cleaned it up, but it stained the wall red. After that, I no longer hide yoggies I hand feed them.

That was the only incident that I'm aware of of my gliders vomiting.

April
Wife to David heart
Loving mom to 9 glider fuzzbutts
My little angel angel angel : Skittles, Herky, and little Mr. Pickles

Glider Toys Unlimited
Re: Vomiting [Re: uraqt33] #376918
09/05/07 07:33 AM
09/05/07 07:33 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I posted the following in a different thread, but thought it would be helpful to have all the details in this thread, too smile
Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz
Now, keep in mind that I am trying to remember isolated incidents from 3 years ago, but this is what I recall of Carina's 3 vomiting episodes:
1) I put her into a closed bonding pouch for about an hour in the late morning.
2) I held her close to my body while I laid down due to severe chronic migraines. I was conscious the entire time, but lying down in a fetal position with Carina and her pouch against my chest.
3) I did not "feel" any abnormal movements in the pouch, just normal shifting and positioning.
4) Upon removal from her pouch, I noticed that she was soaking wet (totally drenched) on her head and upper body with no discernible odor*.
5) Her pouch was also wet on the inside, but not on the outside.
6) On the 3rd occurence, as I went to put her back in her cage, she jumped to the cage and immediately proceeded to vomit. The vomit was clear and had very little odor*. It was at that point that I knew what the cause of her becoming soaked within the pouch was.
7) With each occurence, her behavior was normal again and her appetite was completely normal by that evening.
8) After the 3rd occurence, I deduced that she was becoming extremely stressed from being confined within the pouch. After that, I would carry her in the bonding pouch but would not close it and would check in on her often while carrying her.
9) No further episodes occurred which led me to the conclusion that my hypothesis about her being stressed from the confinement was correct.

Edited to add:
*Please note that I do not recall there being an odor, but it is possible that there was. I have chronic sinusitis and so it is possible that I was unable to smell an odor if there was one actually present dunno

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Vomiting [Re: sugarglidersuz] #377057
09/05/07 01:08 PM
09/05/07 01:08 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Thanks, guys! He is doing better, and is behaving normally for his little stressed self.

Jen, I am 100% sure this was stress induced. You'd be amazed at how easily stressed he is. He is, in the true sense of the phrase, a special needs glider. He will never leave my house, as I think it would kill him.

Shawna

Re: Vomiting [Re: USMom] #377059
09/05/07 01:10 PM
09/05/07 01:10 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Shawna,
You are such a great glider mom! I know that he will live a long and healthy life with you and that you will overcome his stress with your love and consistency hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,554 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,145 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024