Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Anxiety Disorders #377503
09/05/07 11:33 PM
09/05/07 11:33 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I have been posting about Dexter in the Pitbull Biters thread. However, since I've had him, and observed, I have come to the conclusion that his special need is not the fact that he bites. That is a symptom, not the issue. His issue is that he has an anxiety disorder. In other words, he is extremely easy to stress, and it really wouldn't take much to kill him, stress wise.
Background. Dexter came to me as part of a group that just did a stopover for a few days in February, on their way to a new home. He was so violent, biting through the cage bars, through my clothes and into my skin when we were trying to get them out for moving, that I decided to keep him and Gizmo here. I felt that: A-moving him would be too stressful, based on his behavior, and B-he was gonna eat me if I put my hand in his cage (LOL!)
I had to sneak their plates in and out of their cage for a couple of weeks, to keep from getting bitten. I contacted Bourbon and Mary for help. B finally talked me into trying the pouch protecter pouch for Dex. We worked really hard with him and within a few weeks, the biting stopped.
Now, the other things I have noticed with Dex.
He is incredibly protective of any place he can hide. He will guard it against anyone, including me.
Any changes to their cage will cause stress. If it is a small change, say moving something, the stress only lasts for a few hours. If it is a large change, adding something new, stress will last for a couple of days. Moving their cage, even from its normal place, clean and put it back, is a week.
I went to the SGGA this year, gone for 4 days, He didn't talk to me for a week.
Sunday, I nearly killed him. I made them an awesome new cage, larger and prettier than the cage they are in, big bonus--No Rust!!! WooHoo! So, I put all of their stuff from the old cage into the new one. Including the cage pan, and cage cover. Moved the gliders to the new cage. Mom stayed in there, cause he is prone to stress. I played with them in the cage. Dex was stressed, I could tell. I fed them some yogies, to associate good stuff with the new cage. After about an hour or so I left the room, turning off the light, so they could explore and rest in their own time. About 5 hours later, I went in to feed everyone. Dex was still up, and there was vomit all over the cage. Giz was fine, Dex was throwing up. Panicked, called B, we worked it out and moved the babies back to their old cage. The vomiting stopped within about 10 minutes of moving back.
Now, 3 days later, Dex is still stressed. I expect him back to normal tomorrow or the next day at the latest.
Next step is, what looks like a long, introduction to the new cage. Their cage has rust on it, and they can't stay in it.
Then I will work on trying to reduce their anxiety. Counseling, I guess.
Now, I know Dex isn't the only one like this, his case is just extreme. However, I think in many cases, the pitbull biting is also a symptom of an anxiety disorder, weather it is minor or extreme. All gliders stress to some extent. But we need to learn how to deal with it.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #377538
09/06/07 12:30 AM
09/06/07 12:30 AM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Wow Shawna...........That is very informative. I had no idea they could stress to that extreme. Thank you for sharing Dex's story...............so meds are prescribed for people with anxiety disorder............is there glider valium you could give for a cage change????? I know the vet prescribes it for dogs with anxiety disorder.

............................Cora

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: Cora] #377547
09/06/07 12:40 AM
09/06/07 12:40 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Thank you for posting!

Yes, I wonder in a really extreme case like this if medication could help? I'm sure they may not have given Valium to a glider before so I guess it might be risky, but I'm sure they could extrapolate the proper dosage maybe?

Wishing you luck with that new cage hug2

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: ] #377561
09/06/07 12:55 AM
09/06/07 12:55 AM

T
TracyLynn
Unregistered
TracyLynn
Unregistered
T

Thank you for sharing Dex's story. We learn so much about these wonderfully amazing creatures every day through stories & experiences just like yours. I hope the vet's can figure out to help Dex, and by doing so help other gliders that may share his disorder

Last edited by TracyLynn; 09/06/07 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: ] #377615
09/06/07 07:40 AM
09/06/07 07:40 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Gliders have had valium, it can be mixed with pain meds in a very low dose for the SMs. My Riker had it when he was SMing and in his collar. I have some on hand for emergencies from brief use with a glider that for 2 years had a seizure every time she was handled or scared-like twice when she got a nail hung up in the tent-and no other time. It needs to be used VERY sparingly, and I'm not sure it's the best one for this (plus realize you'll stress the glider handling it to give the meds if they won't take it mixed in something).

There are other meds that are used to treat anxiety in small animals, such as haloperidol. That is something you would want to talk to your vet about.

My girl finally stopped having seizures being handled but not before we had to 2-3 times a day for her tooth issues. It nearly killed her first, though, even with a low dose of the valium to try and head off the seizures she had a couple bad enough we almost lost her before she decided to submit to a limited amount of handling and that we weren't going to hurt her-it took 2 years to get to that point though (past the 6 months of incessant crabbing anytime anything moved, and the lunging/biting when you got too close, etc.) Gliders who have been seriously mistreated really can have serious trust and anxiety issues. We only used the valium for about 4 days (it's not a long term med for a glider) and have not needed to in months, nor had but one mild seizure in that time. Things may have gone quicker if I'd used a med like haloperidol, but she was happy with limited handling (nails and occasional once overs)-still is for that matter...she will tolerate you for a short time, and that's it...and I can live with that. She gets tent time (without me in the tent-but I watch through the windows) with her cagemate, transferred to and from the cage in her pouch. She will even let me pet her on the head briefly (has a fit if you touch her tail tho), and I don't see the need for meds just so I can force a glider to be cuddly that really doesn't like people in her case-I'll take what she wants to give. I'm just happy I can handle her without killing her.

In this case tho-where just moving the cage can cause life threatening symptoms-for days, meds may be needed (and a way to administer as stress free as possible).

Last edited by Xfilefan; 09/06/07 07:41 AM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: Xfilefan] #377626
09/06/07 08:29 AM
09/06/07 08:29 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
He is very easy for me to handle, now that he knows me and loves me. I can give him meds, no problem. I hadn't considered meds for him, and I don't think he would do well at all to go to the vet to get them. He would have to go into a much smaller cage to get into the car, and then drive for up to 2 hours one way, depending on traffic, and be in the vets office, heck I get the jitters just thinking about doing that to him. I can get the vet out here, but it has to be scheduled, and will cost a small fortune.
The plan to get them into the new cage is now kind of lengthy. Bring the cage back into the glider room. Let it sit for a few days. Move their cage right up against it. Let it sit for a couple of days. Let them play in it for a few minutes at a time, until I start to see his stress level drop. Then a bit longer. Then actually move them. Kind of like intro's between gliders, swap stuff around, get the smell on there, let them meet...
Thanks for the encouragement. It starts to feel really lonely when you try and explain this to people with "normal" gliders, and no rescues. I'm not crazy, and neither is he, he is just sensitive. My 90's man!

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #377698
09/06/07 10:58 AM
09/06/07 10:58 AM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I had an idea that might help too, I dunno, just a thought.

Use blankets that were in his pouch and rub them up and down the cage so it kinda "wipes" his smell everywhere.

How often are you able to clean his cage, if it takes a wk for him to recover?

Is he neutered?

Just wondering..:) sounds like you have done a fabulous job with him!!

Its amazing to see people, like you, work with such "difficult" gliders.

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: MizValorie] #377716
09/06/07 11:29 AM
09/06/07 11:29 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I can wipe down bits of his cage at a time, just do it every day. He's okay with that, I think because its a change he can't "see", I don't know. He is awake when I do it, he does better if he can watch me. He has zero problem with me cleaning the cage pan.
He is neutered.
I can't imagine that he has always been this way, maybe the final move to my house was the last straw? Who knows.

I do know this, I love Dex and Gizzy to pieces!

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #377725
09/06/07 11:49 AM
09/06/07 11:49 AM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
wow that is pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing that info w/ me.

I can tell how much you love him!! Its amazing how they steal your heart!

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: MizValorie] #377744
09/06/07 12:26 PM
09/06/07 12:26 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Shawna,
Dexter is very fortunate to have you as his slave heart Thanks for sharing your experience here so that others can learn from it. I think your theory about biters has a lot of validity to it.
hug2 hug2 hug2 coming your way. You've got a great action plan in place for getting him used to his new cage. As with everything with gliders, patience is the key thumb

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: sugarglidersuz] #377924
09/06/07 05:53 PM
09/06/07 05:53 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Shawna, Your Dex's earth angel! God Bless his little heart! You just wonder what happened to this poor little fella to have turned out this way. It's totally awesome how your being guided to work thur this with him.
I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. hug2

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: LSardou] #377945
09/06/07 06:20 PM
09/06/07 06:20 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

hmm i wonder if the herbal way would work.. You know how they make the Kitty Calm stuff which has camomille and zizyphus.

There all are different types of herbal animal calming meds that might be safer and you can mix it in with a treat - the liquid one that i have for my cats would be EASY to get them to takebecause its really sweet and syrupy.

I obviously am no vet, and wouldn't reccommed ANY of those things that are meant for dogs or cats without clearing the ingredients and dosage by a vet.. but it COULD be an option that is worth looking into

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: ] #377965
09/06/07 06:49 PM
09/06/07 06:49 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I really appreciate all of the thoughts, prayers and well wishes! I am so happy to part of this community of support.
I know there are other gliders out there like this, it just hasn't been recognized, because the symptoms are so overwhelming that they look like the entire problem. Buffy, for example, her symptoms looked a lot like Dex, biting.
I have another glider that is in this category, Tinkerbelle. I am home number 6 (final) for her. When I first got her she would run in circles on the top of her cage. For hours. She is a sweetheart, just a dollbaby of a glider, bra-baby, whisper in my ear. And she was thrilled to be the third in a trio, with Melee and Loki. Oh, she would run and play and love on everyone. One day I got them up during the day for playtime, and she was playing statue glider while she woke up. I took the still moment to look her over, her tummy was meeting in the middle! She was starving to death! She was always in motion, and I didn't think of not seeing her eat. For a month, I hand fed her (and Melee and Loki) 4 or 5 times a day. She finally after about 3 weeks started to eat on her own. But the stress of moving to a new home with new friends, even though she was, and is, happy, was very hard on her.
Things I learned from her: just cause the eye's look good, and the nose is the right color, and their activity is fine, you still need to have a "still" assessment! Yipe!
I don't know if we will go the medication route. Right now I'd prefer not to, if I can avoid it. The trip to the vet with him scares the bleep out of me, because of the stress that would bring. I am going to start documenting everything I do with him in hopes of helping other gliders, and avoiding having to do meds, unless we have to. I really think I need to be A LOT more observant, because I know that there are things I miss that could help.

Last edited by USMom; 09/06/07 06:52 PM. Reason: content

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #378274
09/07/07 02:05 AM
09/07/07 02:05 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I noticed that you said you fed them yogies when you transferred cages. It could be absolutely unrelated, but thought I'd throw this out there anyway. I have one (out of 5) that cannot stand yogies. He loves them, don't get me wrong, but every single time he's had them, it has sent him into fits, basically. He races around the cage uncontrollably, his breathing becomes really quick and hours later he will sometimes nearly pass out from exhaustion/let down. There is something about them (any kind of yogurt treat) that he cannot process properly. He has only had them 5 times (and 3 of them were accidents because he stole them from his cage mates, so now his cage mates don't get them either). But every single time it has been absolutely terrifying and I thought I was going to loose him 3 of the 5 times and we went to the vet and treated for seizures because we weren't sure. I never saw him vomit, but know that seizures can cause vomiting sometimes and thought maybe it was worth mentioning. (Not that I, in any way, disbelieve or am trying to belittle the stress thing - stress can do some really scary things to the body, I just thought this was worth mentioning here). hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: sugarlope] #378327
09/07/07 08:34 AM
09/07/07 08:34 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I have heard of other gliders doing that with the yogies, but he's never reacted to them before. Of course, there is always the first time. They haven't had any since, and it's real likely that it will be a LONG time before they get them again.
I did some unusual out of cage time with them yesterday. We went to the couch and sat and had yogurt. Then I made them some fresh Gatorade, and they crawled all over me while we did that. I was really nervous, because they've never been un-enclosed. But they did really well. We only stayed out about 15 minutes. Of course, now every time I put my hand in there Dex wants to go for a ride. It is a small step foward. I think I am going to do this every day. Gives them a different view, with the protection of mommy right there.

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #381221
09/11/07 06:02 PM
09/11/07 06:02 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, the stress didn't seem to get any better last week. So, I got to looking, I didn't put their wheel back when I put them back. Cheez and crackers, am I dumb or what? This whole post about stress and make sure things don't change, and leave their wheel out. At least they still love me. And now they are normal. Not sleeping all the time.

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #381267
09/11/07 06:44 PM
09/11/07 06:44 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Hey Shawna, I was just thinking of you and wondering if there has been any progress! Well, I'm sure they have forgiven you for forgetting the wheel roflmao I admire your patience and determination....finding a happy medium dose take time, but from what it sounds like to me, every step that you take it looks like a mile's worth of progress. Wishing you all the best and happiness with your silly little fella..... hug2

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: LSardou] #381914
09/12/07 05:56 PM
09/12/07 05:56 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
Your not done yet, you still must get them safely into their new cage

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: Bourbon] #382003
09/12/07 07:21 PM
09/12/07 07:21 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
Wow I am proud of you for all you are doing. You are doing a fantastic job with them. Never thought about this point of veiw before, you are opening up a new chapter in glider learning. Keep us updated and glad they have you as their Mommy now!

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: BCChins] #382029
09/12/07 08:10 PM
09/12/07 08:10 PM
Tulsa, OK, USA
S
SweetGliders Offline
Glider Slave
SweetGliders  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Tulsa, OK, USA
Hi Shawna,
You are doing great and Dex loves you for that.

I have an idea it might not work because I don't know about the cages you have. But it's worth a try. Is there a way you can set the old cage and the new cage side by side cut a hole in the side of the old cage and place it up close to the door and temporarly wire the cages together. (or even cut a whole in the side of the new cage, that can be fixed once the babies move into their new cage) this way the babies can venture over to the new cage when they wanted to and once they adjusted to the new cage then remove the old cage all together. This will be of a stress on your little guy. JMO...

Anita heart

Anita heart
www.mysweetgliders.com

Owned by many Gliders & Cats + Wife to a Wonderful & Understanding Husband

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: SweetGliders] #394355
10/08/07 12:13 AM
10/08/07 12:13 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I put the new cage back in the glider room, and just left it in there for a week. Then I moved Dex and Gizzy's cage in front of it for a week. Gave them some time to get to know it. And now...Dex and Gizzy are in their new cage full time. They are showing some signs of stress. Running around, spending lots of time in the wheel, neediness, not eating. I have been checking on them about every hour or so, and so far no vomiting. YAY! party So, I will see how it goes. I think this time will be successful.

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #394724
10/08/07 02:37 PM
10/08/07 02:37 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
clap That's great news!

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: glidergrl1513] #394768
10/08/07 03:36 PM
10/08/07 03:36 PM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
Glad to here they are making progress!!

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: Kitkatt1216] #394894
10/08/07 07:29 PM
10/08/07 07:29 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
They did really well last night! No vomiting, and they are sleeping happily now smile They ate all of their food, too. Such good babies!

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #395023
10/08/07 10:06 PM
10/08/07 10:06 PM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Hey girl-

somehow I missed this thread- since you started it over my move. I've told you about my Haley. I've always called her my special needs baby even though she's not handicap. She also suffers from an anxiety disorder- I believe hers was triggered during her pregnancy and rejection of their twins.

It takes great detail and attention to keep these special babies happy & healthy- it's the littlest things in this world that sets them off. One thing I've noticed that helps ease Haley's attacks- is a magnet therapy. Lsardou sent them to me for Haley & I've noticed she can go longer without an attack when on the magnets.

Reminds me- Linda I need to talk to you about a replacement mlove

Maybe something to look into for Dex

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: jacknsally] #395781
10/10/07 01:12 AM
10/10/07 01:12 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, these two little weirdo's are acting like they have been in this cage their entire lives. *stomps feet
Last time they threw up forever, didn't eat for a week, then wouldn't come out if I was in the room for 2 weeks, and just generally acted like victims of some kind of deranged monster. Now, life is all sunshine and butterflies! I don't get them, I really don't, LOL However, they did move from a tin shack out in the slums, to a mansion uptown, so I should change their names to Jed and Granny, maybe?

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #395880
10/10/07 09:46 AM
10/10/07 09:46 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Yay! Congratulations! Maybe they were just testing you? hehehe laugh

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: Usha77] #397009
10/12/07 07:54 AM
10/12/07 07:54 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I'm so glad the move went well for them! That is really great news jump Yep, sounds like Jed & Granny to me roflmao

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: sugarglidersuz] #399426
10/16/07 02:18 PM
10/16/07 02:18 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Here is a breakdown of Dexter and Gizmo's progress here at Casa Dulce. Subie, maybe some of this will help you, see where you are with yours. Dex and Gizzy came on February 11th, and the first post is the first post, and really my first real action with them.
3/17/07 I ask because I have gotten in a glider that seems like way beyond pit bull biter. She will reach through the bars of the cage, like when I'm giving treats, to grab you and bite. It doesn't matter what you are doing, she wants to eat you. She HATES people. I have reduced cage numbers, so I can work with her, so any suggestions would be good!
3/19/07 Adding two pics of the biter. I was wrong about who it was. It is Dexter, not Gizmo. The first pic is hysterical! I keep thinking of someone in prison, I'm gonna get you when I get out of here! The second is kind of scary. He was biting the bars all over the cage. Any place I had touched. I touched it a few times to check. It wasn't random, he wants to eat me.
3/22/07 Okay, 2 nights in a row, Dex hasn't attacked his cage. He pretty much ignores me now. Which right now is good, he is getting used to me. He won't eat treats, unless it is something I put on his plate before I put it in the cage. Of course I haven't offerred my fingers lately! LOL
3/30/07 Okay, update. We are at 24 hours with the pouch in the cage. Dex has no problem with it, but Gizzy seems really scared, she hides all the time. Well, as much as she can, there aren't any hiding places in the cage.
He seems much calmer tonight. I wiped down his cage bars while he was awake, and he watched, but didn't try and hunt me down to eat me I think this will work really well for him, based on the progress we have been having.
But, I feel soooooo guilty about her. She acts scared all the time! She isn't afraid of me at all, I can touch her and move things around and such, but, she kind of acts like a beaten wife. I've never seen him do anything to her, and I don't want to separate them. But then I do want to. I worry about her being so much smaller, as well as her behavior. Would it be easier all the way around to separate them, or would this cause a huge setback?
4/16/07 Good news! I was gathering dishes earlier, and Dex was up eating something in the corner, and didn't move when I came in the room. Well, I thought it was Gizzy, and said "Hi, honey, having a snack? Want some more?" And pulled the plate out. She/He didn't move, no reaction at all. So I got the treats out and offered, and he came over and it was Dexter!!!! OMG, he didn't want the treat, but he didn't want to eat me, either Yay!
04/23/07 He licked me! He licked me! I put my (shaking) finger up to the cage bars, and he came over and stuck his nose through, and put his teeth on me, I didn't flinch (much) then he licked me! So we did this for like 5 minutes, I had to keep coming back to do it again. He'd run over to me sniff me, put his mouth on me then wander off. He did grab my shirt and bite it, then pulled it into the cage and (try to) mark it. He's neutered. B was on the phone with me and said that I should put the shirt on the cage for him. Gotta wait til I can trim nails, though. I am just so darned excited! I could pop, he likes me! Of course, I am the slave that brings him nuts (I found his snack weakness). Gonna have to find a replacement, can't do that for very long.
05/05/07 Really, really good news! Woot, woot! First, last night, I got to pet Dexter in his cage. He didn't even care, or try to bite, or anything. Okay, thats exciting right? Right? Well, this morning (I've only been up for about an hour) I tried to give him a treat, and he didn't want it, and he had that look, Shelley you know what I mean, like I wanna bite you. So, I gave him my hand so he could see it was me. He tried to bite, but I told him psst, pretty quiet and he let go. It was more of a putting his teeth on me thing. Anyway, tried to give him another treat, and he was too, I guess up is the word. All over the place. I put the whole treat bowl in his cage and said, fine you pick. He didn't want a treat, he wiggled his way out of the cage by my arm, marked my hand. Then climbed up my arm and ran to my back. All I could think is oh, God, my ears! LOL, scooped him back and he went back in the cage, and after some maneuvering got him off of me and the door closed. HE WANTS TO PLAY!!!!! I think he likes me. I'm so happy I could cry.
06/24/07 Yesterday was a red letter day! We did outside of cage time in the bathroom, and it went wonderful! They crawled all over me, can any one say spikes! Yipe! But they played and ran and just generally had a good time. Dex got that look in his eyes a few times when climbing my shirt, because parts of it were draped over other parts, and looked like a hiding place, so I had to keep my shirt pulled tight. Gizzy, on the other hand, is a biter, too. Her bitey instigator is worms. I had to hide my right hand, because she could smell them and would try and eat my fingers 0.0 But, my left hand she was fine with. No biting or anything. It was grand!
07/03/07 Well, Cheez Whiz, you'd think he was a pet or something! He waits on the side of the cage for me when I'm in the glider room, you know, like those other ones do. And tonight, when I fed them, I had to let him mark me and groom me. And he had to pay special attention to the cut on the cuticle of my thumb. And then he had to get in the palm of my hand, and rub the top of his head all over me, all cute like. Sheesh, I guess we'll keep him
09/02/07 Poor Dex! I made him and Giz a new cage. It stressed Dex out so much he's been throwing up for I don't know how long. I have been on the phone with B, but am charging my phone right now. Giz is fine, except for hovering over Dex. He will only drink water. I've moved them back to their old cage for now. I will post tomorrow or later tonight as to how he is doing. I'm a little scared though, cause I've never heard of a glider throwing up that didn't die within a short period of time.

Shawna

Re: Anxiety Disorders [Re: USMom] #399709
10/16/07 08:42 PM
10/16/07 08:42 PM

S
Subie
Unregistered
Subie
Unregistered
S

To be honest, I don't know WHERE I am with him. He's... not like any glider I've had.

Niko came to me on 9/4/07. He didn't come from a good situation (bad diet, rusty cage, etc.) and the only things they ever put in his cage were a wheel, pouch, water bottle and food bowl. He's been alone for 6 years until now. They had him since he was barely 8 weeks OOP. He had a few medical problems but that turned out to be the least of my worries.

He overgrooms his head badly, runs in circles on the top of his cage for hours, and is the NEEDIEST glider I've ever seen. He wants me, all the time, 24/7. We just recently broke him of his habit of running headfirst into the cage bars at the sight of change. We have him in a reptarium now so that if he does start again, he won't hurt himself. I have to be very careful about his cage. He does fairly okay when we clean it but god forbid I move, add, or subtract anything. I have a diagram of his cage taped above it so I don't forget.

He's very active but not in a good way. He always looks and moves as if he's in a panic. He took to me right away; he loves to hang out on my shoulder or in the suggie shirt pouch. That's the only time he calms down a bit is when he's on me but only if he comes out of the cage on his own; if I take him out he panics. Whenever he's in the cage he doesn't play or run in his wheel. He's rarely out in the cage except to eat and run circles. He mostly just sits in his pouch.

He has a cagemate in the works. They don't live together yet because even though the two gliders are all cuddly and such, Niko's stress level seems to go way up when they're in a cage together.

I've been constantly frusterated with him, not because of him per se but because I haven't been able to find the cause of his issues. Then I saw this thread and thought of him.

So here we are. What do ya'll think?

Last edited by Subie; 10/16/07 09:20 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024