Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rescuing! #378581
09/07/07 04:04 PM
09/07/07 04:04 PM

S
Scalbrag
Unregistered
Scalbrag
Unregistered
S

sorry if this is in the wrong forum i wasnt sure were to put it!
just have a few questions about rescuing gliders:

do you need a license??
is there any age limit to rescuing?
does it cost anything to get started...if so how much?
whats the website/link to a rescue site?
are there specific regulations i should no about?

any thing else that might be important to know b/c im thinking of rescuing but i wanna be 100% sure before i do!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: rescuing! [Re: ] #378901
09/08/07 12:52 AM
09/08/07 12:52 AM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
On a small scale, you do not need a license.

No set age limit, but IMO you should not attempt it any time soon. I know about your situation, and it would be much too hard to start taking in rescues right away, after only have gliders for a very short time.

Well, you need the cost of cages (but you still need to buy a bigger one for your pair now), toys, vet checks, any other vet bills (they can and will pile up quickly if you jump into rescuing), food, neutering, etc. Rescuing is VERY expensinve, and it really shouldn't be done until you have a lot more experience with gliders and are in a more stable situation.

You're not even a month into glider ownership, correct? I really think that you need to step back and not look for any other gliders right now, especially not rescues. Just spend this time getting to know your gliders, how to handle them, get into a rhythm with them. In your place right now, you probably would get in way over your head. You don't have your own place, so eventually you will run out of room and will have to turn gliders away. Do you have just one room to keep the gliders in? You will need at LEAST 2, for quarantines. You would be the only rescuer in western NY, so guess who all the gliders would be going to! You don't have a job, and rescues can be a lot more expensive than a joey (not always, but they can be). Last I knew, you still hadn't found a vet. When you get a rescue, the first thing that needs to happen is a wellness check. You also need to have a vet on hand 24 hours, because a rescue might come to you with serious health problems. I know that you are looking for a bigger cage for your pair right now, will you be able to afford getting a new cage each time you get a rescue in? While some might come with cages, there's the chance that they are no good for gliders anyway.

Those are just the physical things that might hold you back. How about emotional? Can you handle trying to save a sick glider, rushing it to the vet, but having it die after you spend $1000, withing the first week of having it? Will you be able to deal with a glider who attacks anything that comes near his cage, because the poor little guy has never had any interaction other than being poked and squeezed?

Not all rescues are like that, but those are things that DO happen. Are you absolutely sure you can/want to handle all that on a regular basis?

I really think you need to slow down, and work out all the little bugs you are having with your own gliders right now. You're doing good, but there's room for improvement, and you know that. Just take the time to bond with your gliders and spoil them silly. I'm not trying to discourage you from rescuing, but you need to know what you are getting into. It can be very rewarding at times, but it can also be stressful and heartwrenching and expensive. I think it would be best if you waited for awhile. I mean a few years, you are young, you've got plenty of time.

Re: rescuing! [Re: glidergrl1513] #378920
09/08/07 01:38 AM
09/08/07 01:38 AM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
I'd say you really need alot of glider experience to begin rescuing, now if you want to become the forever home for some rescues that is one thing, but to do the actual rescuing... give yourself time to learn first.

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: rescuing! [Re: Kitkatt1216] #378929
09/08/07 02:05 AM
09/08/07 02:05 AM

T
TracyLynn
Unregistered
TracyLynn
Unregistered
T

I totally agree that rescue is not something to just jump into. All but 4 of my gliders are rescues. They each had their own set of special needs and totally different personalities and I can honestly say that they are not all bonded with me, and several of them may never be. That's okay though cuz I love them for who they are and what they will give.

My youngest daughter is 10 and I work from home, so I have time and have now started doing small scale rescue, and it is not always easy & is never cheap. I currently have 9 rescues here that will soon be going up for adoption, but until that time I have to feed them, provide cages, pouches & toys, clean extra cages, and spend time with them in adition to my own gliders. This is in addition to the vet bills for 9 checkups, 6 neuters & everything for a rejected joey to be safe since one has a joey IP(which is one more thing I will worry about). After all of this, I still get the task of screening apps, and possibly arranging railroads. I have also acceptedthe fact that these guys may be here a long time. Rescues are not always easy to place and some wait a very long time to find that forever home. Just ask some of the people on here who do rescue. I know one for sure that has closed her doors to new rescues until she places the ones she has had in her care since March or April. Do I regreat taking these guys in? NO WAY!

Love who you have, learn everything you can & then learn some more. It is great that you want to help, but you really need to consider ALL of the aspects of rescue and talk to people who do it.

Here is a link to a rescue site
http://rescues.all4gliders.com/forum/login.php?sid=d82c3f8ad4d8d101f1e6689c0359c1d9

Re: rescuing! [Re: ] #379023
09/08/07 10:29 AM
09/08/07 10:29 AM

S
Scalbrag
Unregistered
Scalbrag
Unregistered
S

ok thanks...when i asked though i never meant it to mean now. im know im not anywheres ready to rescue. but i would love to help in the future when i get a job,money,the space,etc. im fine right now with the 2 i got now and thats all i want. i understand all the hard work that is needed to go into them and im willing to do it but not now i have way to much to do now being a kid. i have plenty of time to play with mine,bond with them get to know them...ect. thats all i need but i just wanted you all to know that by no means did i mean that i was going to take the info you all give me and go sign up tomorrow. i just want the info so i have it for future reference. the more i know about it the better it will help me make the right decesion that is best for me and the gliders i already have.
thanks for the info srry if i made it unclear as to why i wanted the info.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,663 TEXAS
679,109 OHIO
487,237 OKLAHOMA
432,241 UTAH
321,761 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024