Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
:)My non-supplemented diet...LONG #396734
10/11/07 04:15 PM
10/11/07 04:15 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline OP
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline OP
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I promised to share what I have used for my gliders diet for so many years. So here it is. smile

I know their will be controversy over what I feed, and that’s ok with me. I am not out to “Prove” this diet, but to share it with those who want to know what has kept my gliders healthy, and living so long. The health of my gliders has been proof enough for me. I have always like the saying “If it’s not broken why fix it?” If I was having health issues with my gliders I would consider looking more into the diet, but I have never had ANY health issues or early deaths with any of my gliders. The only problems ever occurring in the few gliders I have happen to be the “rehomes” that were fed a diet of Lory nectar, apples and cat food.

With my success in the longevity & health of my own gliders, and of others I am grateful to have known, I am sharing the diet I follow loyally. There is much criticism in diets for Sugar Gliders these days and there should be. It’s our dedication to this magnificent creature, so there for we search for what’s best and what will offer the longest life span capable in captivity.

The diet I use was not created by me, but by a dear friend of mine who was a breeder of healthy Sugar Gliders for 14 + years. She has been thru it all and I feel so grateful that she has taught me that simplicity can and does work! She has come up with a simple 3 day rotation diet that requires no blending and no added supplements. I have used this diet successfully with no health problems for over 10 years.

Many people believe that certain diets are not “proven” diets, but I will just say that this track record has been proof enough for me! Pick what works for you and your glider and stick with it. Changing diets too quickly is bound it irritate their system, and should be done gradually.

This diet is relatively simple, and every thing can be purchased from your grocery store, except the staple pellet food.

(The following measurements are for one glider)

Day 1.

1/4 cup of chopped fresh fruit cut up to glider size pieces. Any fruits can be fed such as apples, melons of all types, cantaloupe, watermelon, and honeydew. Pears, apple-pears, green and red seedless grapes, kiwi, mango, papaya, peaches, plums, nectarines star fruit, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, black berries, sweet dark cherries, banana, pomegranate and guava.

Day 2.

1/4 cup of Vegetables. Fresh or frozen, but NEVER canned. I have used frozen vegetable blends. There has never been a limit of what I have given on vegetables. I have used every thing readily available at the grocery store, and I buy a lot of seasonally available produce. Examples, green beans, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, a variety of squash’s, corn, asparagus, cucumbers, snow peas, sweet potatoes, beets ect. I have even used strained baby vegetables when some one didn’t want to eat their veggies. This rarely occurs in the variety they receive though.

I serve many veggies raw, but steam a lot of them too. It changes the taste, and texture, but still seals in critical vitamins and nutrients needed in their diet.

I add 1/2 teaspoon of any type of low fat yogurt to either the fruit or vegetable day which ever is preffered. Fruit flavored is preferred mostly here. I especially like the brand Activia because of the live cultures that are good for the digestive tract. Do NOT use yogurt that is sweetened with splenda or other sweeteners. Do not increase the amount of yogurt given.

Day 3.

1/4 cup of protein,

I use chicken, turkey, lean beef, pork, pasta, brown rice, hard boiled egg with the shell on, and scrambled egg with crushed shell in it (but NO packaged deli lunch meats because of the added preservatives in them). Wax worms, and super mealworms can be added to help supply the 33% of protein that their diet requires. Super worms can be submerged in ice cold water to stun them and keep them from biting. I know that regular mealworms are suggested as a daily treat, but they do have a hard shell that is hard to digest if consumed. A glider’s body will utilize the fat from a wax worm easier then a mealworms fat, where from a mealworm more fat is stored.

PLUS in a separate dish I mix 3 teaspoons of fruit nectar with 3 teaspoons of water. ( Libby’s or similar) Any all natural 100% fruit juice is acceptable but watch for added preservatives.This is added to the protein night only.

In addition to this variety of fresh foods offer, I use Brisky’s pellets as a staple, and this I offer free choice.

I want to say that with any diet you feed, if you house more then one glider, you should watch any gliders that may not like, chicken for example, that way you can substitute it for another desired protein. This would apply to any part of the diet. There is such a wide range of variety, you can replace it with another item. I offer 2-3 of the mentioned examples fruits and vegetables mentioned above.

NUTRITION ~

The following is a list of fruits and vegetables that contain important vitamins, and minerals needed in your gliders diet.

Selenium~

Green peas nectarines, cucumbers, grapes, figs, pears, peaches, asparagus, broccoli, and raisins.

Vitamin E~

Asparagus beets guava, mangos, nectarines, and plums.

Beta-Carotene~

Sweet potatoes, winter squash, apricots, broccoli, cantaloupe, and carrots.

If you gave your child a plate with meat, fruits veggies, and dessert, what would they eat? The dessert right? This is why I feel that rotating the diet is crucial. I have never had a glider decide he was not going to eat dinner. I have never added ANY vitamins, or supplements, even though today’s glider society thinks it’s a must. I believe my gliders have had the great health and longevity because of their diet. In the wild they get their vitamins and minerals thru their diet. I understand that their natural diet is different but thru variety of foods that work with each other we can achieve these correct balances.

Last edited by GliderLove; 10/12/07 10:27 AM. Reason: added example, and removed rhuhbarb!

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #396747
10/11/07 04:58 PM
10/11/07 04:58 PM

W
Wantiki2
Unregistered
Wantiki2
Unregistered
W

I like the idea behind this feeding plan. I am always researching more natural ways to feed my crew. Do you offer any 'live' foods such as mice or fowl? My gliders really seem to enjoy peach-fuzzy mice and day old quail. I would hate to deprive them of that enjoyment.

Also, do I understand correctly that the fat content of wax worms and mealworms is similar, but wax worm fat is more easily utilized by the glider's digestive tract? Is that taking into consideration the protein content of the insects? Or is that pretty close, too?

Re: the fruit juice...use nectars only or are 100% fruit juices OK. Is the H20+nectar/juice offered daily?

Re: Brisky's pellets...are these to be available 24/7? And, if the gliders won't eat them, would that throw the diet off? My crew is not accustomed to pellets and I can darn near guarantee thay won't eat them. crazy

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm very interested in this subject. Please feel free to pm me, if you like, and thank you for sharing.

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #396769
10/11/07 05:37 PM
10/11/07 05:37 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
This is pretty much how I have been feeding my gliders for a while now. We did BML, but over time, Timmy stopped eating it, Gidget would touch it. Did the PML, had the same thing happen, although Gidget did eat this. Priscilla Price diet we have had good luck with for almost all of them. Even tried the Ensure diet, again only some of them liked it. I cut back on mealies to see if that would help, nope. So I started doing pretty much the same thing (although was the nectar every other day). I do still give mealies every day, but early in the day. They have been cleaning their plates! Even Timmy, who is easily my pickiest glider, eats everything! (I also rotate with waxies and mealies....boy, they love the waxies!) And Timmy smells much better (even though he is not neutered.)

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: pappy1264] #396782
10/11/07 05:57 PM
10/11/07 05:57 PM

N
NammyPants
Unregistered
NammyPants
Unregistered
N

i like the sounds of this diet as well.
so...let's see...just for example, starting on monday you would feed just fruit, tuesday just veggies, wednesday just the protein, and everyday they would get the nectar/water mixture and staple offered? then it would start all over with the fruits on thursday and so on? and you don't freeze anything, just offer it fresh or let the frozen stuff thaw a little?

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #396842
10/11/07 08:16 PM
10/11/07 08:16 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I do believe Rhubarb is toxic, so you should reconsider offering it, even if just occassionally!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: BeckiT] #396851
10/11/07 08:54 PM
10/11/07 08:54 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline OP
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline OP
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I have never heard of Rhurbarb being toxic? Mine have hardly touched it. I will look for any info on the Rhubarb, if I find ANY negative info on it, I will deffinatly nix that off the list!

As for the Briskey pellets not being consumed..Brisky's is 25% protein, but has all the added vitiamins, and minerals. It's a free will choice in case your glider didn't consume every thing that night, your making sure there is another back up. It will not throw the diet off if not consumed, they eat very little of it.

Regarding "live" food. I do not feed it. You could certainly use it on "protein" days if you choose to! smile

Bugs can be given daily as a treat in moderation, after all they help in the bonding process too!

100% fruit juice can be used in place of nectar, I have done both, my gliders preffer the nectar.

The diet is a 3 day rotation so you get 33% of each. So yes, you can start Mon on fruit, and Tues, Veggies, Weds protein, and then start all over again, with variety.

I offer 95% of my diet fresh, I do occasionally freeze my own veggie mixs, that I may steam up into portions, ans the same with seasonal fruits too thumb

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #396857
10/11/07 09:18 PM
10/11/07 09:18 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
It's listed here as toxic (all the way on the bottom)

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: BeckiT] #396858
10/11/07 09:19 PM
10/11/07 09:19 PM
Kansas
Owndbymyfurballs Offline
Glider Guardian
Owndbymyfurballs  Offline
Glider Guardian

Kansas
I did a quick search on rhubarb on google. It came up listed as toxic on many glider sites. Some say just the stalk, others don't mention anything other than it is toxic.

Becci
Owned By My Many Furballs And Loving It!
~Loving My Glider Crew Since 2004~

Anxiously Counting Down The Days To Dayton’s Arrival (07-28-08). Only 1 More To Go!!
Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: Owndbymyfurballs] #396861
10/11/07 09:22 PM
10/11/07 09:22 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline OP
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline OP
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
It's beyond me how I have missed that one all these years. Thank goodness they never cared for it, but thankfully there was no side affects either! I am removing Rubarb for the good of the glider! Thanks guys!

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #396957
10/12/07 02:17 AM
10/12/07 02:17 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
very well said.

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: the gliders angel] #396965
10/12/07 02:54 AM
10/12/07 02:54 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I have one of Cindy's joeys here and so I feed this diet. I will buy fresh fruits and veggies...clean, cut and freeze. They love them just as good. Also, my babies prefer cooked veggies, so we almost always have to cook them lol.

I also offer home dried fruits and veggies as treats, pretty much when they want them and leave in the staple all day...which they eat very well surprisingly! Home dried is fresh, preservative and extra sugar free and also costs very little...over lots of the pre-dried treats. Healthy snacking only here!!! Well, with a few yogies on the side too lol!

But frozen or slightly thawed will probably depend on your glider...mine could care less so they get whatever I decide on that night!

My rescues were put on this diet...slightly modified with extra protein...but they popped right up in weight and are looking great! Urine staining has significanly decreased and they love the range of foods...they never get bored. Most of the odor from the cage...well gliders love peeing in the wheel...and it is hard to get the smell out of the plastic...otherwise...not so bad at all! Even my rescues that you could smell as soon as you walked in the door...smelling MUCH better these days. They smell like gliders now...not like a giant butt!

Mine are happy, healthy and look GREAT...proof enough for me!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: cinnamonstix] #397021
10/12/07 09:03 AM
10/12/07 09:03 AM

A
aproductof
Unregistered
aproductof
Unregistered
A

Just wanted to comment on rhubarb-- the toxicity is generally due to the high amount of oxalic acid. Know how when you bite into it, and there's that chalky gritty feel after? This will be worse if eating, say, a piece of rhubarb pie with a glass of milk. That's the percipitate formed when oxalic acid reacts with a metal (calcium in the case of milk). (see discussions on oxylates, I know kidney stones have been mentioned--that's the same percipitation happening in the kidneys)
The stems are also rich in an aromatics that have a laxative effect.

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #397032
10/12/07 09:35 AM
10/12/07 09:35 AM

W
Wantiki2
Unregistered
Wantiki2
Unregistered
W

Thanks for the clarifications, GliderLove. This feeding plan certainly makes lots of sense to me. I like it! I especially like the idea of feeding one food group at a time. Especially for picky eaters (and aren't they all!?) this would certainly encourage them to clean their plates.

I also have read that rhubarb is toxic to certain animals, including gliders, but if it's a question of high oxalic content, wouldn't spinach be considered toxic, as well? I feed spinach, occasionally and sparingly, to both my gliders and cockatiels with no ill effects and they devour it!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: cinnamonstix] #397034
10/12/07 09:39 AM
10/12/07 09:39 AM

W
Wantiki2
Unregistered
Wantiki2
Unregistered
W

Hi Cinnamonstix,

Do you have a machine that dries the fruit?

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #397052
10/12/07 10:19 AM
10/12/07 10:19 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline OP
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline OP
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
ACtually spinach in moderation is VERY good for them! If they will eat it. But in this rotation their is always variety. I have never had a picky glider on this diet, these guys have chowed down from day one.

You can pick up those dehydrators from Walmart, and Target. They work awesome, and I think dehydrated fruits and veggies as snacks, and treats for people and gliders is a very healthy alternative. thumb

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #397145
10/12/07 01:16 PM
10/12/07 01:16 PM

W
Wantiki2
Unregistered
Wantiki2
Unregistered
W

Oh, good to hear because my crew love their spinach. As you say, though, only on occasion and sparingly.

I will check out my local Target for that dehydrator.

thanks

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #397167
10/12/07 02:10 PM
10/12/07 02:10 PM

K
kaylakala
Unregistered
kaylakala
Unregistered
K

I've seen dehydrators at my local thrift shops too.

Thanks gliderlove for all of you information.

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #397189
10/12/07 03:06 PM
10/12/07 03:06 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
The gliders LOVE all their dried fruits and veggies...my Degu's get dried veggies too! They are also good for on the go snacks when you are out with your fuzz kids, or keeping near/in your emergency kit I would suppose as well!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: cinnamonstix] #397192
10/12/07 03:17 PM
10/12/07 03:17 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline OP
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline OP
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
You guys are very welcome. It took me a very long time to consider posting, because even though I has seen it with great success with other gliders, I wanted to do it my self, and at least have my experience to back it up!

I have had great success with this diet with overall health and happiness. I would not change it for another. HTH smile

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #397440
10/12/07 11:31 PM
10/12/07 11:31 PM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
notice the yogurt give every other day. this is for the calcium instead of reptile calcium. you can also feed cottage cheese.

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: the gliders angel] #397456
10/13/07 12:07 AM
10/13/07 12:07 AM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
I'm glad you shared this and that no one is being critical of it. I always love learning how people do things differently.

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: Kitkatt1216] #397483
10/13/07 01:11 AM
10/13/07 01:11 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline OP
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline OP
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Katrina, I have been waiting actually for the negatives..lol crazy

It's ok though, I don't plan on every one to agree with me. I just felt that now that I had sufficient time under my belt 10+ yrs of this diet with sensational results that it was time for me to share. I understand that it seems to go against what many diets consist of, but I honestly would not have gone out on the "limb" here if I did not feel it was worth it! laugh

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #401682
10/20/07 06:02 AM
10/20/07 06:02 AM

S
Subie
Unregistered
Subie
Unregistered
S

I really like this diet idea! Does everything HAVE to be fresh? I feed BML at the moment and had trouble getting some of my gliders to eat their fruits and veggies. I blended them up in a fruit smoothie/veggie relish sort of way and they love it. Could you do that with this as well d'you think?

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #401690
10/20/07 08:02 AM
10/20/07 08:02 AM

T
TingALing
Unregistered
TingALing
Unregistered
T

This is pretty much the way I have been feeding my glider. I have looked at the approved diets and none seem to appeal to me or be something I think my glider would even consider eating. I went from having a picky glider to one who willingly cleans her plate night after night. I agree with the "if it aint broke, don't fix it"
none of us know in the overall, big picture if we are doing everything "right" with glider diets. and in 20 yrs everything we do now may be obsolete. look at how differently we now feed all our pets then we did say 20-30 yrs ago. most people never gave a second thought to giving their dog table scraps, especially meat scraps. they are carnivours are they not? meat should be good for them. but research has showed us differently, so now we feed healthier diets. but new research may come along that proves all we know now to be "wrong" so all we can do is feed the best possible diets with the knowledge we have now

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #401712
10/20/07 10:15 AM
10/20/07 10:15 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline OP
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline OP
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Subie, Yes you could make this into a relish form if you choose too, but the idea is to keep it 1/3 each a day, veggies, fruit, protein. I don't combine the two fruit/veggies for the simple fact they may eat less of one or the other. It's simple, and this is the plan I have followed for 10+ years with awesome results!

There are ways around your glider not eating the veggies. There is such a large variety to choose from first of all, and remember, maybe steaming it or baking some of the veggies would help. It changes the texture, and taste. Many of my gliders will not eat all of their veggies raw.

Sometimes adding a little veggie baby food will entice them to eat it. Even "icing" them with a little apple sauce, although a fruit, can make a huge diffrence in what the consume veggie night.

I have also served up the "veggie cocktail" for my picky veggie eaters before, of 1/2 Vegetable juice (100% vegetable with no or very low sodium, and no added spices, just plain old organic veggie juice is what I use sometimes, homemade juice is best though) mixed with 1/2 water. I will sometimes add this on veggie night if their has been a picky one.

I must tell you though, my gliders clean their plate EVERY nite. I have never had an issue with gliders not eating.All the foods I feed are fresh, but can be frozen and served slightly thawed, and thawed. My gliders prefer them thawed. I buy lots of seasonal fruits and veggies chop them and freeze them with my food saver machine. (vaccums out the air)

I hate to make this sound difficult because it's pretty simple, but their are ways around if your glider becomes picky. But that's one of the reasons for variety,not all gliders like the same foods, do you? lol SO the variety gives us options.

Like I said, I know it contains no supplements which goes against what most people are taught. I only posted this diet I have used for 10+ years because our results have been fabulous. I must stress that upon switching ANY diet it must be a gradual thing. If I can help you at all feel free to PM me smile

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: GliderLove] #401998
10/21/07 12:45 AM
10/21/07 12:45 AM

C
Cosmo
Unregistered
Cosmo
Unregistered
C

Hi Gliderlove,

So 1/4 cup is per glider, right? So if I have a pair it should be 1/2 a cup, correct? And the nectar and yogurt would be offered only once ever 3 nights, right?

I really like the sound of this diet. Could you use frozen veggies and fruits? Sometimes our local store doesn't have the best looking produce (small town and if its winter we don't get the best stuff around here) and so I buy frozen for my gliders, which is OK with my current diet. Do you think it would be ok with this diet when I need it?

Also, on this diet have you ever had a calcium defiency? Is the yogurt once every 3 nights really enough? That is just a huge fear of mine. I currently have mind on the priscilla price diet and while mine do well for the most part on it, I do find they still try to pick out their favorite stuff and I tend to have some of the veggies left over the next day.

Also, do the gliders typically eat the full 1/4 cup, or is there some left over?

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: ] #402038
10/21/07 01:58 AM
10/21/07 01:58 AM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
That's good this diet is working for you Cindy! clap I'm glad your babies like it and are happy and healthy! smile

heart Kristin
:glider: Sparkles &
Flower

mlove Loving Husband Christopher
angel Proverbs 3:5,6

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: BlndGrl8] #402048
10/21/07 02:35 AM
10/21/07 02:35 AM
NE Ohio
carolkosiorek Offline
Glider Explorer
carolkosiorek  Offline
Glider Explorer

NE Ohio
I have to tell you, I found a person somewhere else that said he feeds a "raw food diet" and I was very interested in what it consisted of. Not because I wanted to bash, but because I feel that it would be the best for the glider to have a more "natural" diet. I never got a response from him as to what it consisted of, but I have to tell you, I am really glad you shared this with us. I am looking forward to feeding my gliders this when I finally get some. Thank you again, I am glad that not everyone thinks it's best to feed all of these supplements and human baby food, amongst other things. Not saying that they are wrong, but honestly, where would gliders get these things in their true natuaral habitat? I would like to keep my gliders on a more "natural" diet if possible, and you've made that possible with this diet, Thank you.

I love all of GOD's creatures, even those that are not so nice.

Judge not lest ye be judged.
Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: carolkosiorek] #402084
10/21/07 08:08 AM
10/21/07 08:08 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
You can do the yogurt every 3 days...if your fear of calcium deficency is big...you can do it every other day.

I feed this diet...I have GliderLove's joey here...as mentioned before...this diet made my reascues look amazing...they both put on a nice 10G each since coming here and their staining is clearing up and their fur...soft and silky!

Mine clean their food up ever night. I have adjusted the amounts given per night based on what they will actually consume in a night. My rescue pair eats more that my young 'uns of course.

I have had some issues with them not eating their veggies...specifically the greens...I but frozen stuff now...they eat it NO PROBLEM. The fresh...I cooked, fed raw, iced...my babies are picky. Who'd have guessed...lol. They like the frozen though...and they do not mind them fed frozen...they eat them very well. ***Make sure you do not get anything salted, seasoned, in sauce...ect...only PLAIN veggies.

As for fruits...if your store display is not too great...you can go with frozen...I like to buy fresh, clean cut and freeze a medly...but sometimes if you can not find what you need that looks nice...they do have some frozen stuff that is ok...My boyfriend was hurt and it was time to resock on my fruits and veggies...so I went all frozen for right now, due to having to take care of him...their is a tropical bag of fruit and a berries bag...I opened and mized both...my gliders are getting an assortment of that. It was a pretty good variety between the two bags I picked up.

There are lots of ways areound a picky glider with this diet...for a while I was icing my veggies with guava baby food...that worked well for my picky babies. You have the freedom to cook the food, feed it raw, mix it with something else if needed to get them to eat it. And if all else fails...just get imaginative...There seems like there is always a solution out there...just have to figure out what works for your gliders.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: :)My non-supplemented diet...LONG [Re: cinnamonstix] #402136
10/21/07 12:41 PM
10/21/07 12:41 PM

C
Cosmo
Unregistered
Cosmo
Unregistered
C

Thanks for the info! How would you slowly introduce this diet to the gliders?

Mine are on priscilla's and I just made a new batch, so I will probably finish that out. Don't get me wrong, I really like the priscilla diet, but recently they are starting to pick out veggies too much for my liking. I even resorted to babyfood veggies one batch so they were mixed in and they couldn't eat around them. Maybe if that is all they have on night, then they will eat them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,554 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,145 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024