Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bright Red Feet need help #418390
11/17/07 01:43 AM
11/17/07 01:43 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, bizarre situation. Cooper's feet are bright red on top (normal pink on the bottom). They are swollen, and kind of remind me of my hands when I get hives. The front right foot is very swollen, and he doesn't want to use it. He has zero appetite, and has that icky ears down look. He is doing a LOT of licking on his hands, especially that right one. He is also trying to pull all of the hair out of his tummy.
I have him on Torb for tonight, and a vet appointment scheduled first thing tomorrow. But has anyone else seen anything like this? Does anyone have suggestions for me to take to the vet?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #418394
11/17/07 01:50 AM
11/17/07 01:50 AM

R
Ravyn
Unregistered
Ravyn
Unregistered
R

Are you supplementing the housing with heat that may be too close to anything he is holding where his feet curl around and are exposed to the heat, did he get free run and us it to go thru some chemicals or do the toilet bowl swim into some chemicals in the bowl there for cleaning? Are there any toxic plants in the house he / she might have been into? any of these may help the vet determine the reaction your baby is suffering from... also might be a reaction to food or additives in the food used recently... hope this helps, will keep a watch on your progress, gl friend

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: ] #418399
11/17/07 01:53 AM
11/17/07 01:53 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I don't use heat lamps or heaters of any kind in the glider room. We have central air, and it's been 90 here up until yesterday, but the heater hasn't even kicked on yet.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #418403
11/17/07 01:58 AM
11/17/07 01:58 AM

R
Ravyn
Unregistered
Ravyn
Unregistered
R

As a medic for humans, my concern is a topical reaction to something your baby has reacted to...Either natural or synthetic chemical... the belly could be external in that case or something ingested causing outward reactions but that would typically show up top and bottom of feet as outward skin altogether... either case, vet would be a must if it were mine... I have to get to bed now but will check back tomorrow, plz keep us posted on your baby's progress and best of luck to you !!!

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: ] #418433
11/17/07 03:02 AM
11/17/07 03:02 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Two things come to mind first (excluding exposure/injury/allergy), and might or might not be related to each other. Infection, and HLP. Red and swelling in the feet CAN accompany a calcium deficiency which CAN be secondary to infection, provided there's no injury to the feet or exposure to something he's reacting to. Infection/irritation alone can do that, too. I think it's Suz that went thru that with one of hers with the HLP...check her site-I think there's pics under the HLP section. Regardless of Cause: if he won't leave them alone you might need to collar him until meds can work, so get one ready now. vet asap. They can run urine/fecals but with the symptoms it wouldnt' surprise me much if nothing showed up. You may want to try and cover bases depending on what/if anything is found-broad spectrum antibiotic, flagyl (in case of yeast, fungus, or parasite), and something for itch/irritation like an antihistimine. I'd also see about topicals for the areas he's going after-a skin scraping might be a good idea, and silver sulfazadine (SSD) cream, possibly something medicated depending on the vet's opinion or if scraping shows anything under microscope. Let us know how it goes.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #418450
11/17/07 06:05 AM
11/17/07 06:05 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Jen, I was so hoping you would see this. I'll check Suz's site now. I hope/don't think hlp because they are on a proven diet. However, if he has an infection of some sort...like you said. I've only had him for 3 months, and he was on parrot biscuits and apples before I got him, so he doesn't have a good dietary history to go on. I will ask my vet this, but would it hurt to do a calcium shot (I don't know what they do emergency wise here) as a precaution? I did already have the thought in my head to ask about an antihistamine. I did not think of the yeast/fungus possibility.
As far as him leaving it alone, they obviously are hurting him. He won't use the right front unless he doesn't have a choice. I have him on Torb and he is mostly sleeping right now. There is about an hour after it wears off where he is pretty awake and tries to mess with it, but I am keeping him distracted. So far he is just really cleaning the paws and tummy (and pulling hair) but not biting. I just don't want him to start, I don't know what I'd do. I think he hates me at this point.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #418451
11/17/07 06:16 AM
11/17/07 06:16 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I just looked at Suz's site, and his feet do not look like that. His are a uniform swollen all the way down to the nail from about the wrist/ankle area, and they are bright red. Like a pimple colored red. Sometime within the next hour he will get his next dose, I can do it now, but want to wait as long as I can, as long as he isn't messing with anything. Right now he is just laying there.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #418452
11/17/07 06:52 AM
11/17/07 06:52 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
It sounds like infection...from what who knows. Go over his cage with a cotton ball and see if anything catches, and I'd go with what I suggested as far as meds earlier, and more pain meds to have on hand. Get him into the vet as soon as possible. worried I know you've dealt with a collar before (I think?) so make sure and have one ready in case...if it hurts he could chew. I'm really worried about him. Has he been out or loose in the house at all where something might have poked his feet or gotten on them? Or another glider that might have fought with him either in the cage or from outside it? It almost sounds like something got wrapped around his ankles, but I think you'd have noticed...just in case tho-any loose strings, toys that could have caught him, a sliding cage door he could have pinched them in, anything?

Last edited by Xfilefan; 11/17/07 06:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #418453
11/17/07 07:27 AM
11/17/07 07:27 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
He hasn't been anywhere in the last week. He is in a different cage, since Monday. But since all 4 feet look pretty much the same, I am betting against getting caught in something or having a poke. The cage he is in, as well as the one he came from has no fleece at all. All of the toys are open toys, and mesh tunnels, he is in a pouch protecter pouch (denim/sherpa). The cage was designed for Dex, so that it had no hiding places at all. The only thing I thought of is the wheel. He didn't have a wheel before I got him. In his previous cage, he had a wodent but never used it. In this cage is a stealth, and the reason he's in this cage was for an intro that didn't take the first time. I couldn't get him out of the stealth, so I moved the other glider to his cage, we're doing intro's, so no big. I wonder if he ran his little feets off in the stealth and is paying for it now. He is not a young glider, he is 6, and wasn't on a good diet until I got him, they had never clipped his nails (they were grown into his feet, and that was fun to fix!), and they had cedar bedding in the cage pan. Heck, who knows.
He cried while I was holding him a little while ago, broke my heart. Poor baby! I finally got to do a tent test on him, and he is not dehydrated, so some good news there. I have seen him pee and poo, no hissing or crabbing with that, although his pee smells awful, really, really strong. He is drinking water, and will eat grapes if I cut them in half. He doesn't seem to want anything else, and I've offered everything I can think of.
We do have an appointment already scheduled for this morning, and it is with my regular vet, so that is a big YAY. E-collars are right next to his hospital cage. I'm ready there. I know we are at a borderline situation right now, but if I can avoid the collar, I think it will be easier for him. I am paying very close attention to him, very close. Thank you for helping me out here, I really appreciate the support.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #418457
11/17/07 07:41 AM
11/17/07 07:41 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Just trying to cover all the possibilities I can think of, no matter how remote. And lately I've been hit and miss with some threads...how long have you had him? Prior diet could account for the pee smell, but if it's suddenly stronger, there could be infection, too. And I wouldn't say go for the collar unless he actually tries to damage himself. Is it just strong smelling? Does it look at all concentrated, like yellower than normal, or off in any other way? A small blood sample might be useful if it wouldn't stress him too badly...not like for a full panel, but enough to test calcium, and blood cell counts. I know that could be an iffy proposition but thought I'd mention it. With the strong pee, urinalysis might be useful...can you get a sample on a sterile plate before you go and take it with you possibly, just in case they can't get a fresh one there? I'd pour boiling water over one of my glass ones, let it dry and cool, let him go on it, then pull the urine into a new meds syringe and refrigerate syringe/sample in a baggie until time to go-that would at least guarantee that sample if he's cooperative. You can do the same for a fecal. I'd suppose it's possible they were abraded in the wheel, but you'd think it'd show on the bottoms instead of the tops?

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #418460
11/17/07 07:48 AM
11/17/07 07:48 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Shawna - you mention a new cage - was it wiped down before he was put into it? Where did you get the cage? Was it maybe cleaned with something you don't normally use?

I'm thinking because it's all 4 feet and his belly that it really sounds like contact dermatitis of some sort and there is something on his cage that he's having an allergic reaction to (I had a dog with a grass allergy that had similar reaction anytime she touched grass)

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: BeckiT] #418464
11/17/07 08:12 AM
11/17/07 08:12 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
That's a thought. I actually thought about that, then couldn't remember what had occurred to me (I hate it when I do that). Also, is it a PVC coated or something else? That could make a difference as to whether whatever it might be can be cleaned off, possibly? But why would the tops of the feet be affected, and not the bottoms where he grips-that's still got me stumped if it's something he's touching. Or in the new pouch maybe? That would have more contact with the backs of his hands/tops of feet.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #418469
11/17/07 08:38 AM
11/17/07 08:38 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Jen, when Angel would break out after being in the grass, it was never on the pads/bottom of her feet, always on the top and her belly dunno

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: BeckiT] #418481
11/17/07 09:35 AM
11/17/07 09:35 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Anything is possible. If it does turn out to be allergy, it could be a project trying to pinpoint cause, since these guys are really too small to test. It could be cage, pouch, or a new food that's starting to show up that could be coincidental with the other stuff coming at the same time. How long should each change be given before being ruled out as a cause? I know only one thing at a time should be changed, so you are able to pinpoint which is the culprit. How many days before a new thing is tried, if no results on the first?

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #418506
11/17/07 11:03 AM
11/17/07 11:03 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Shawna,
As I first started reading this, my first thought was HLP because of Pika's swollen fingers & toes. I'm glad you checked out my pix and that your little guy's swelling does NOT look like Pika's did. I agree with Becki that it sounds like it may be a contact dermatitis problem, especially since he's in a new cage with new toys (to him). As Jen said, it would be hard to pinpoint the cause if it is actually contact dermatitis, but it's definitely something to mention to the vet. My other concern is the strong-smelling urine... definitely may be indicative of a systemic infection dunno Please let us know what the vet says once you get back. I'll be keeping you in my prayers today hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: sugarglidersuz] #418519
11/17/07 11:19 AM
11/17/07 11:19 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
We are on our way now--just checked back in to see if there was anything new.
The cage, btw, is pvc coated, and when I get back I'm going to post more about the cage itself, because I have some concerns about it. But, the last thing I used to clean the cage was hot water and a washcloth, so no soap.
Hopefully I'll have something when I get home, it's likely to be a while.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: LSardou] #418562
11/17/07 12:39 PM
11/17/07 12:39 PM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
Didn't something similar to this happen with one of Peggy's (srlb) glider's....and the culprit was one of those acrylic hanging toys?

Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Karin] #418586
11/17/07 02:14 PM
11/17/07 02:14 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
We're back. The vet took a look at Coopie and said it looks like an allergy. He said no mites, he's never seen mites in a glider, but no evidence anyway, no ring worm, no something else that my sleep deprived brain can't remember. Fecal is clear, he's not dehydrated, ears, eyes and mouth look fine. Coop has pulled some hair out of his belly, but no bald spots, just thin spots, and no skin damage, YAY! His belly and patagium are red, too. So, they gave him a bath (fun), and a cortisone type shot. I have liquid prednisone to give him starting tomorrow, if I have to. He sent me home with some antibiotic just to cover that base, takes that for 14 days. We have plenty of torb for the pain part of it. They got to watch him cry when one of his nails got stuck in my shirt and I had to pry it off. I asked if this looked like HLP at all, and he said absolutely not.
So, make the prayer chain that this is just an allergy and the shot will clear it up. I will eliminate the cause, don't you worry about that wink But I want my baby to feel better now.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: BCChins] #418609
11/17/07 03:15 PM
11/17/07 03:15 PM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
Shawna, it is the wheel
I had a glider that was a female that I brought up to Alana in Kansas City. Her name was Zena. She had wodent wheels, and never a stealth. She was a very sweet glider and had never been alone. She ran in the wheel out of stress - stress of being in a new place and not having another glider. Five days after she got there she had lost weight and had like blisters on the bottom of her feet. They are very bright red. The vet thought that she was in an inappropriate cage, but Alana assured her that Zena's cages were PVC coated and so was her new cage. Zena was 120 grams when she got there and died 12 days later of starvation and stress due to being alone. I will never send an older glider alone again. Alana and I cried and cried over it because she was such an awesome sweetheart. Alana and I later thought through the thing about her feet and realized that she spent all the time in the wheel.. and ran on it continually. That could have been the only reason for her feet looking red. I believe you should get a different wheel for him and take the mesh toys out and replace them with soft tunnels..

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: sugarlope] #418680
11/17/07 06:21 PM
11/17/07 06:21 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Shawna-
Please be careful with the prednisone. It is NOT something that you can give occasionally and then stop giving. If you start - even one time - Cooper must be weaned off of it with days of reduced doses.

Giving it then not giving it can cause fatal heart problems, in all animals, including humans.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: ValkyrieMome] #418688
11/17/07 06:35 PM
11/17/07 06:35 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Alden, the vet told me that he really would prefer if we don't have to do the prednisone. So, I am going to wait and see on that. Right now he is in the back pocket of my blue jeans...okay its a pair that ripped, and I cut the pocket out, but he loves it laugh
I am washing pouches and am on my third rinse cycle, just to make sure there is no detergent in the pouches. I honestly can't remember doing a rinse cycle again after I washed them last time, and they have concentrated the detergent again, so maybe that's it. I have a feeling I'll be playing this game for a while. His poor little footsies, the back ones look better, but the front ones don't. He won't use the front ones at all. We go back to the vet on Monday for follow up, so...
I am going to the store shortly to get some baby food as he has stopped eating and is loosing weight. I am also going to get a larger hospital cage. The one I have isn't designed for long term use, it's simply too small. This is going to be a long few days, I am only sleeping a couple of hours at a time right now, so I can watch him and feed him.

Edited to add, I'm not putting him back in a regular cage until I see him using those front feet, I don't want him falling.

Last edited by USMom; 11/17/07 06:36 PM.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #418712
11/17/07 07:59 PM
11/17/07 07:59 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
lost weight and had like blisters on the bottom of her feet.

That's the thing...it's NOT on the BOTTOM at all. Otherwise that would be a red flag there, and I know he isn't running on the TOPS of his feet. confused

And that's what's known as a TAPER. I take Predisone...or a MEDROL TAPER a few times a year (same med). Start with 6 little tablets (it varies) per day-for a HUMAN...that much would KILL a glider outright so don't even think it anyone, giving a glider human grade corticosterioids for ANY reason at all..., then to 5, then 4...etc...down to 1. Number of days on meds can vary at each level from one to three days-ie 6 tabs for 3 days, then 5 for 3 days, etc,. But it has to taper off to avoid some bad problems.

I'd honestly feel better with a glider with something like Children's Benadryl unless something else were called for. vet should be able to calculate a dose for that, and it's comparatively safe.

You might want to try some Ensure for now...easy to eat, lots of calories, most like one flavor or another, and has his vitamins in it. Ensure Plus has even more calories per serving, depending on how much/fast he's losing.

Keep us updated. worried

Last edited by Xfilefan; 11/18/07 12:09 PM. Reason: fixed unclear sentence

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Usha77] #418796
11/17/07 11:12 PM
11/17/07 11:12 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
The bottoms of his feet look fine. He has no blisters on them, they aren't even red. The reason I mention the wheel is because he's never run in one before. I get hives, I can't remember the term, but one of the causes is pressure. So when I was building the cages, used my hands a lot in a way that I am not used too. Lots of pressure from the pliers and bending the wire, etc... The hives are on the top of my hands and in the joints. They don't itch, they hurt, a lot. That is where I was going with that thought.
However, he has been out of the cage for over 24 hours and there is no improvement, even with the shot he got today. Shouldn't he be looking better by now?
His pee smells better now. When he peed yesterday the entire room reeked. Tonight when he went, it still smells, but you can't smell it unless its by your nose (yeah, I smelled his pee)
He has eaten a bit of baby food, but not much. He did eat a couple good size chunks of apple earlier today. I will try the ensure in a little bit. I got him some pedialyte tonight, too, but he has no interest in that.
I will ask about the benadryl when I talk to the vet on Monday. I like that thought better than the prednisone, too.
Thank you guys for the thoughts, and idea's. I am stumped and exhausted. Any ideas or thoughts, however random, help a lot.
Oh, and joy of joys, we are going to have to clip his nails tomorrow. I've had him for 3 months and have clipped his nails probably 5 or 6 times already. His nails grow really fast. When I got him, they were grown into the bottoms of his feet. I had to clip the nail, then use a pair of tweezers to remove the clipped end from the pads on his paws.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #419001
11/18/07 11:05 AM
11/18/07 11:05 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Well, we made it through another night. I am trying a different method of giving meds this morning. We will see how that goes. His feet look a lot better to me this morning. So now the next scary step is to figure out why.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #419004
11/18/07 11:24 AM
11/18/07 11:24 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 I'm happy to hear that he is looking better this morning! I was wondering if you could keep a log/journal of everything that you are feeding/activities/cleaning/and washing for a couple of weeks aon a daily basis and see if there is a pattern or a link to what might be the cause.
Sending your little one lots of hugs and prayers! Your doing a fantastic job with him..... hug2

Side thought: Is Cooper the glider that you were having trouble with a while ago with stress due to changes?
If he is, I'm wondering if this is "hives".

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: LSardou] #419022
11/18/07 12:07 PM
11/18/07 12:07 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Linda, he is not, that was Dex, and Dex passed a couple of weeks ago. But, according to the vet this is indeed hives, more specifically angioedema, which is deep tissue swelling. I am doing quite a bit of research, and this is of particular interest to me, because I have the same issue, personally. One thing I did learn last night is that vitamin C helps eliminate the histamines from the body. Most of what I have read on Angioedema (think I'm spelling right) says it takes about 4 days for the body to correct itself. I just hate that if I put the wrong thing in his cage, then he suffers for it, not me. Keep your fingers crossed and your prayers going.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: LSardou] #419025
11/18/07 12:13 PM
11/18/07 12:13 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Sometimes it can take drugs a couple days to really get in there and work...and shots are absorbed more slowly by the body than oral meds are.

So what around him, other than the meds, has changed so far? He's mostly been out of his cage and away from the toys/pouch, etc so hard to say there. If it happens again later on after all is cleaned, etc and he goes back in you'll know it has something to do with something in there anyway. So glad his feet are looking better today...is he using them any better?

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #419026
11/18/07 12:14 PM
11/18/07 12:14 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I'm sorry Shawna, I should have checked first...sometimes it's hard to keep everyones babies straight, so please forgive my error.
At least now you have something to work with in knowing what's going on with him now.
In your research did they determine what would be the root cause of this? My thought would be that there could be a "counter reaction" with certain vitamins/minerals mixed with certain foods that are not balancing with the SAO2 (blood oxygen levels) in the blood.
I'd be interested in reading that article, would you mind PMing me the link? Thank you
I will keep both of you in my prayers. Always, hug2

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: LSardou] #419430
11/18/07 09:54 PM
11/18/07 09:54 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
He actually is using the back feet better, but that front right one is still very swollen and he won't use it much. He is not eating much, but I think that is the meds. About every hour I go and offer him some ensure, and some other fruit. Last night, while I was sleeping he pulled the little cup that I have the ensure in over to his pouch, lazy man, LOL. But it shows he does have some interest, just not the appetite.
I've increased the amount of time between the pain meds, and he seems to be tolerating that well. He will be on his own during the day tomorrow. I will be able to come home at lunch and check him and see if I can get him to eat. He is peeing and pooing, although tonight the poo looks almost gel like. I will be talking to the vet tomorrow, and probably taking him back in tomorrow.
Linda, I will find that article and send it to you in just a bit.
Here are the links if anyone else wants to peruse them:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/angioedema-000011.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000846.htm
http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/urticaria.html
I have NOT started the prednisone, I don't know if I will. Gonna wait and see what the vet says, hopefully we don't need to.

Last edited by USMom; 11/18/07 10:06 PM. Reason: add links

Shawna

Re: More questions [Re: USMom] #419507
11/18/07 11:44 PM
11/18/07 11:44 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, I just mostly answered this question in another thread. Coop is on Torb, and I am increasing the time between doses, and will probably start decreasing the dose tomorrow. But he's not eating much. Yesterday he probably ate about a tablespoon and a half of food. Today he has taken about 2 teaspoons. This is likely the meds, right? When do I start worrying?

Shawna

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024