Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? #419973
11/19/07 07:51 PM
11/19/07 07:51 PM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

A few nights ago my husband brought two of my new joeys out of their pouch, and as he approached, I noticed Katooloo's tail looked short - an entire half his tail was gone!

He is still playful and bouncy and makes his happy little tick tick tick sounds, and doesn't seem to notice his tail is gone. Does anyone know what could have happened? His parents are wonderful parents, they have had joeys before and there was never any problem with cannibalism. They do have a wheel in the cage, although the joeys are 7 weeks old and love to play on it almost more than mom and dad.

Could it have been the wodent wheel? Has anyone else had an injury on a wodent wheel? Katooloo's mom has been paying extra attention to him lately, and although his tail looks like it is healing nicely, I am still putting a dab of neosporin at the tip.

We looked everywhere for the tail, and could not find it. Just little puffs of fur...

Last edited by JrGliders; 11/19/07 07:52 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #419979
11/19/07 07:55 PM
11/19/07 07:55 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Gliders have lost tails to the crossbar on the wodent before. I can't say that's what happened for sure, tho. Despite the fact he isn't acting like anything is wrong, I would really recommend a vet visit and some oral antibiotics to prevent infection. You can also put some plain (not the pain relief kind!) neosporin on the end to help try and keep bacteria out. Make sure the parents aren't grooming it too much-they could make it worse trying to help. I'm not sure about recommending stitches or a collar for a joey not yet weaned-it's possible he's young enough not to need them, but I'd definitely have a vet take a look.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #419982
11/19/07 07:56 PM
11/19/07 07:56 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Wodent wheels have been known to be the culprit in tail injuries in the past. If the axle is sticky at all (from urine & feces sticking to it), then the tail can get stuck on it and wrapped around the axle, resulting in tail injury and/or loss. If you didn't find any parts of the tail in the wheel though, I wouldn't think the wheel would be the culprit in this case. It's very difficult to know for sure.
He should be seen by a vet to make sure that the tail broke off at a joint and is healing properly. Neosporin is a good topical treatment for it, but vet care is still necessary.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #419991
11/19/07 08:11 PM
11/19/07 08:11 PM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

All advice as far as the vet has already been followed, but I was told to keep triple antibiotic ointment on the tip, and to watch it for any signs of inflammation. He was not prescribed any oral antibiotics by the vet.

So, knowing what to look for and watch for on the injury itself - I am still perplexed as to how he lost his tail. I am afraid it may happen again to another joey and I would hate to have any of my babies go through such a traumatic experience. I have never had any injuries like this before, I specifically got the wodent wheels thinking they would be the best alternative.

Though all of my cages have wheels, this one in particular is a brand new wheel and had been in the cage less than a week before this happened. I can't imagine the wheel, but there is just nothing else I can think of.

Any other ideas besides irate parents or wodent wheels? Are wheels just not a good idea until a certain age, or for a colony of gliders? (I noticed that all four of them like to try and get on the wheel at the same time) Perhaps one was spinning the wheel while the baby had his tail in a bad spot?

I am confused and afraid of a repeat scenario.

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #419994
11/19/07 08:17 PM
11/19/07 08:17 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
The Stealth or Rescue wheels are the only ones I know that don't carry the risk because they have no center crossbar. What you want to watch for is the joey or his parents chewing at it, further damage, heat, redness, inflammation or oozing, or the glider becoming lethargic and/or losing appetite that could indicate an infection going systemic.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Xfilefan] #419997
11/19/07 08:23 PM
11/19/07 08:23 PM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

The vet told me to keep an eye on it, and gave me a cell phone number should I need to reach him (isn't that amazing?) for emergency.

I never thought about the parents chewing on it - I wonder if I should remove him now, he is 7 weeks and is eating and making poopy on his own. Any ideas on whether or not this would cause more or less stress for him?

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #420000
11/19/07 08:28 PM
11/19/07 08:28 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I would leave him with and watch close. Remove him only if needed-if there's evidence of them doing anything. I firmly believe that gliders should spend at minimum 8-12 (preferable 12) weeks with their parents...they learn by example and not instinct, and there's still a lot for your little guy to learn from his parents.

Something I just thought of that might help you and you could ask your vet for is an antiseptic spray called Collisate - it tastes really foul but is safe...and may help to discourage either from messing with it. A number of members have used it successfully with their SM gliders recently. Let me see if I can find a link for the stuff, since I haven't used it myself.

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Xfilefan] #420001
11/19/07 08:30 PM
11/19/07 08:30 PM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

That sounds great! Momma as been babying him ALOT and I can just see her trying to "fix" it for him ....

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Xfilefan] #420003
11/19/07 08:31 PM
11/19/07 08:31 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
K, and I never was quite sure how to spell that-I've seen it a number of different spellings, but apparently the right one is Collasate (my first search attempt resulted in an admonition to check my spelling, lol). Here are some links:

http://www.prnpharmacal.com/pdfs/CollasateSpray-PS.pdf

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Xfilefan] #420035
11/19/07 09:07 PM
11/19/07 09:07 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I just had to do a seperation of a pair because one cage mate chewed the tail off of the other. Okay, half. She didn't seem to be bothered by it either. But, there was obvious aggression, and Stitch just lost his mind, I think. If mom and dad are acting fine, I would think they are okay. If there is a problem, you will be able to tell most times. Its possible that one of them snapped at the joey and just caught the tail, as theirs are so tiny...

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Xfilefan] #420046
11/19/07 09:19 PM
11/19/07 09:19 PM

W
Wantiki2
Unregistered
Wantiki2
Unregistered
W

So sorry to hear about the baby's injury but I'm glad it seems to be healing well. www.calvetsupply.com carries Collasate, as well. I have used it for a tail injury (as a result of rough-housing) with great results. Just make sure you wash your hands really, really well after using it because it tastes AWFUL and the taste lingers in your mouth for hours! Yuck!

I have both a Stealth and a Wodent in the cage and have been quite concerned about the possibility tail injury. Luckily, Peggy (Srlb) referred me to www.transoniq.com and I have purchased axle guards for the Wodent Wheel.

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #420086
11/19/07 10:11 PM
11/19/07 10:11 PM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

Thank you all so much for the great advice and links... I will get some collasate to keep in the first aid kit and check out the axle guards. I have never had a problem with a wodent wheel before - I feel so guilty like I should have not had it in a cage with joeys at all.... frown

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #420089
11/19/07 10:13 PM
11/19/07 10:13 PM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

Thank you all so much for the great advice and links... I will get some collasate to keep in the first aid kit and check out the axle guards. I have never had a problem with a wodent wheel before - I feel so guilty like I should have not had it in a cage with joeys at all.... frown

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #420104
11/19/07 10:40 PM
11/19/07 10:40 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Aw, don't feel bad! hug2 hug2 It's rare it happens, and it's not like it comes with a warning on the things. Gliders with part tails do just fine once healed, too-I've had a number come to me that way. We have all had to learn as we go. hug2 I have a wodent in one of my cages that a Stealth won't fit thru the doors on, and just keep an eye on them. One of that pair has only half a tail, but came OOP that way. And we don't know it was the wheel-it's rare an owner actually sees the accident happen when it does with those (things like hair and such caught on the crossbar is a good indicator tho-not that that always gets left behind either).

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Xfilefan] #420130
11/19/07 11:24 PM
11/19/07 11:24 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Until you can get the "axle guards" take a McDonalds straw and cut it to lenth and put it over the center bar of the Wodent Wheel. This will drastically cut down the risk of injury. (though not 100%)

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Dancing] #420136
11/19/07 11:32 PM
11/19/07 11:32 PM
Andover, Ohio
petsugargliders Offline
Glider Slave
petsugargliders  Offline
Glider Slave

Andover, Ohio
We had recently had a young glider that got some fur from her tail caught between the front washer and the bar. We did have the "glider guard" in place. Unfortunately it didn't do a bit of good since her tail was severely injured. frown

One thing is for sure, there are NO more wodent wheels in this house!

Jennifer Chandler
Owned by sugar gliders for over 14 years
Pet Sugar Gliders
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: petsugargliders] #420353
11/20/07 11:06 AM
11/20/07 11:06 AM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

I had just bought some new wodent wheels from Virginia, and guess what? They have the axle guard! So, on one went. I had planned on keeping the wheels extras, and hadn't noticed what was in the box. If I had just looked sooner...

Well, Katooloo is doing great. I checked him again this morning and he is as bouncy and happy as ever. There is no hair loss at the end of the tail. One thing I did notice was that the end of the tail has formed a small rounded area, not imflammed or warm, or red from what I could tell - but rounded. I am going to call the vet this morning to inquire about it anyway, just because it is larger than the rest of the tail.

So... I have decided Katooloo will be staying with me as my special stumpy bra baby smile

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #420657
11/20/07 07:32 PM
11/20/07 07:32 PM
Lincolnton, NC
SugarLove Offline
Glider Addict
SugarLove  Offline
Glider Addict

Lincolnton, NC
Thanks for the update on Katooloo...I'm glad you found the glider guards in the box..I wish I had mentioned they were in there!
If there is any thing I can do to let me know!

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: SugarLove] #423615
11/26/07 08:52 PM
11/26/07 08:52 PM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
I have used wodent wheels for 7 years and have a lot of cages. I have never had a tail injury until recently and it wasn't due to the wheel either. One female sister got aggressive with the other during eating and bit her face and tail. She lost about 1/2 of it because the bite was in the middle.

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Sheila] #427800
12/04/07 03:02 AM
12/04/07 03:02 AM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

It's a sad site, but he looks *so* happy when he is eating with Mommy and Daddy. I swear I can see him smiling laugh

Thanks everyone - Katooloo is doing great!

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #429391
12/07/07 01:09 AM
12/07/07 01:09 AM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

Okay - update....

Katooloo was doing great until this afternoon. Mommy and Daddy decided to chew on his tail overnight and bone was showing today frown

Off to the vet for emergency visit! The vet amputated Katooloo's tail down to a short nub and sent him home with an e-collar, pain meds, and antibiotics. Katooloo is now trying desperately to remove the collar and I am feeling so sorry for him... he is trying to climb around and glide and just can't.

Anyone have any ideas to make life easier for him while he is in the e-collar? I thought he would get used to it after a while, but he just won't give up.

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #430489
12/08/07 11:01 PM
12/08/07 11:01 PM

R
RaiSaix
Unregistered
RaiSaix
Unregistered
R

iI'm so sowwy! That sounds sooo sad! I hope he feels better!

Sorry, but I don't have any help to give you, but I pray life gets better for the little guy! hug2

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #430545
12/09/07 12:56 AM
12/09/07 12:56 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Ecollars are never fun for gliders but they are sometimes the only thing that will save them from death.

What type of cage do you currently have him in? He will need collar friendly places to sleep (such as hanging a corner hammock down low with lots of fleece peices under for him to curl up with/in). Bird troft type feeders work great for food and water as he will still be able to eat/drink out of them with the collar on.

Honestly, when I have a glider in a collar here, I spend most of my time with him/her. I do tend to spoil them rotten by hand feeding them and trying to comfort them.

It is hard but you can do it and this little one will get through this.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: Dancing] #430562
12/09/07 01:50 AM
12/09/07 01:50 AM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

Hey y'all laugh

Katooloo my little satellite dish baby is doing good. He has been spoiled rotten the last couple of days. He is in an oversized pouch, set sideways so that he can get into it by himself. He has it all figured out now. I have been giving him water throughout the day in a syringe, and feeding him spoonfuls of BML at night.

Also, he has been out of the cage while we are awake in the evenings. He going into a travel cage over night, and is right beside the bed, so we can get up through the night to give him water or food if he needs it.

Oh he is such a sweet boy!!! My daughter wanted to know tonight if he could be her own special baby... I am thinking that sounds wonderful laugh

Re: Joey lost a tail???? Wodent Wheel to blame? [Re: ] #431197
12/10/07 08:53 AM
12/10/07 08:53 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
sounds like he is recuperating well. Thank you for the update hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024