Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Neutering and SM help #478218
02/15/08 02:06 PM
02/15/08 02:06 PM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

hey guys, Mr. just got nuetered tuesday, and because i live an hour and 20 minutes from the vet, i had to pick him up the next day.

he seems to be doing well, eating mealiesfrom my hands and playing at "night" (he wakes up EARLY morning and plays until 12pm but he has been doing that lately anyway. i think it is because it is ALWAYS dark in my room so he cant tell the difference. anyway, we still aren't that bonded, so there is no way i am able to get the baytril in his mouth by hand. i put it in a piece of fruit the past two times and he does eat all the fruit.
when i was feeding him a mealie today, and he was on the cage, i was able to see the op-site. it looked a bit pinkish and about pea size in diamater. it made me worry about that he was SMing but i couldnt get a better look and i also don't have anything to compare it too so i dont know if it looks good or bad.
since my vet is SO far away, i thought id get info here first.
can someone describe what it should look like a couple days after, and also if anyone has pictures that would help alot.
im just worried he might be up to something.

thanks
andrew

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #478226
02/15/08 02:20 PM
02/15/08 02:20 PM
East Texas (Tyler Tx)
MagicEyez Offline
Glider Slave
MagicEyez  Offline
Glider Slave

East Texas (Tyler Tx)
In 'Glider Talk and Travel' there is a topic called For the Good of the Glider .. and I know they have pictures in there ... And Im pretty sure there are some of recently neutered males.

I took my boys in last friday .. and by Saturday there was nothing left but a little pink dot.

Hopefully someone will come through here in a minute that will be of more help .. but you might wanna check out that thread and look at the pictures.

‡*Lauri -aka- Queen Of Everything*‡
:glider: Draven, Diego, Dirk, Delilah, KC & Sunshine :glider:
(^-_-^) Mom to 2 cats - Missy & Furby (^-_-^)

All around furbutt lover & Offical Member of the DB's Club

http://txmagiceyez.webs.com/index.htm
Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: MagicEyez] #478232
02/15/08 02:26 PM
02/15/08 02:26 PM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

cant find it!

edit: ok i found them, but i cant find any good ones of a neuter SM. the ones that are there are mostly other injury SMs.
anyone have any info they can give me and what it SHOULD look like 2 days later?

Last edited by Gorillart; 02/15/08 02:39 PM.
Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #478258
02/15/08 03:07 PM
02/15/08 03:07 PM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

ok well...i couldn't take the chance, so i manned up and had to grab him with some fleece. he did suprisingly well. he was hissing though. it took a few minutes but i was able to manuever him and see the site, and it looks like he pulled the sutures out. i called the vet and we have a 420 ap. its just stressfull because i am not in a great financial situation at the moment, and to drive an hour and twenty in a car that gets 13 to the gallon is no fun. plus the vet costs tacked on for re-suturing and what not.
i need prayers that i win the lotto!

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #478274
02/15/08 03:23 PM
02/15/08 03:23 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but here is a thread with some pics of a newly neutered glider where the poms are left on.
Freshly Neutered Glider PICS

You should also have an e-collar handy in case he should happen to go after the site again.

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: TracieB] #478679
02/15/08 11:10 PM
02/15/08 11:10 PM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

my vet didnt have an e-collar to fit my glider. heres what happened:

we went to the vet today to have him re sutured, and they said he definitely opened them up and gave me a congrats for catching it so early before it got worse. they sedated him and used staples this time frown. the said when he woke he was "grooming" the site again but soon stopped when he realized it wasnt doing anything. i am not too happy he does not have a collar but they vet said he may stop because of the staples. it also wasn't the usual doctor that i like alot who i had last time because it was an emergency visit.
i have an apt for monday later in the day to talk more and have him looked at again after the weekend.

i need prayers and hugs for Mr.!

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #478682
02/15/08 11:16 PM
02/15/08 11:16 PM

F
fuzzluv1
Unregistered
fuzzluv1
Unregistered
F

hug2 I hope your guy does better this time around!

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #478705
02/15/08 11:47 PM
02/15/08 11:47 PM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

ugh ok so i was checking on him in his cage and he went to a dif pouch. i checked the pouchhe was in all day and after the op, i wanted to see if he ate a carrot piece i gave him while were at a restuarant. he did, but i also found a staple! i got SO upset, and i took him out again from his other pouchwith a piece of fleece. i was able to get a quick glimpse of the site. it looks good and there are two other staples. there is no blood or signs of tampering, or holes where that staple should have been. i don't know how to react right now because it seems impossible that he got that staple out(mind you the staple is still "closed") without ripping it out and causing bleeding or sever injury.

i need opinions and support. im pretty upset about this and now worried.

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #478711
02/15/08 11:56 PM
02/15/08 11:56 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
keep watching him cloesly. If he is not bothering the site you are doing good. If he does start to go at it again or try to remove the remaining staples...you need to get him in an e-collar. Have you made one yet? Info and pics can be found below. I would really reccomend making one now...in case you ever need it.

http://sm.all4gliders.com/ecollar/index.html

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: cinnamonstix] #478795
02/16/08 01:45 AM
02/16/08 01:45 AM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

i have been keeping an eye. i am so worried. but like i said, i dont see any possible way he can remove a metal staple without totally destroying the site or even a drop of blood. the site was closed, the other staples were in place, and no holes were there to suggest that particular staple was in him, but on the otehr hand idon't see how it would be in the pouch....

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #478816
02/16/08 02:04 AM
02/16/08 02:04 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I have no idea how staples really work...so I do not know what to say. Did the vet say they will be taking the staples out...or will they fall out on thier own? I know it is a little soon for it to come out if they do fall out on thier own...maybe it just was not in very snug.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: cinnamonstix] #478911
02/16/08 07:28 AM
02/16/08 07:28 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
First of all, you do need to get him into an e-collar right away! Most vets do not have e-collars small enough to fit gliders, that is why you can find directions on how to make your own by going to How to Make an E-Collar. I can't stress enough how important it is to make one and get it on him ASAP!
As far as the staples are concerned, my vet has told me that glider skin is too thin for staples to be effective - they just tear through the skin and come out on their own with the glider's normal active movements. I'm sorry your vet wasn't aware of that fact frown Again, make sure you get him into an e-collar to prevent him from picking at the staples. You'll need to set up his cage with trough-style pet-bird feeders so he can still eat with the e-collar on (you can get them in the pet section at Wal-Mart).

Also, in regards to giving him his meds - you can wrap him up in a hand towel or large piece of fleece and force-feed them to him. This is the best way to make sure he gets all of the meds, which is necessary to prevent post-op infection. Instructions on how to give him the meds can be found by going to Giving Oral Medications. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them. You're doing a great job with him hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: sugarglidersuz] #478959
02/16/08 10:55 AM
02/16/08 10:55 AM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

ugh
i didnt know that about the staples. like i said, unfortunately my vet who i see and who DID the procedure wasn't there yesterday. i guess this guy didn't know as much. and he gets them out next week depending on how hes doing!
thanks for the info, last night i was thinking about making an e-collar. this morning i checked on him and thank god he hasn't done anything to the site at all. i am going to make up the collar. if i can't get it on him i will have the vet do it.

as far as meds go...i try getting him with fleece but he is so [censored] good at squirming out and im afraid to grab him more firmly because they are so tiny and fragile and im 6'3 and my hands are huge haha

Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: ] #480579
02/18/08 08:12 AM
02/18/08 08:12 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
How is your little man doing now? Were you able to get the e-collar on him? If so, you may find it easier to give his meds to him now. Another tip for giving meds... take him out of the cage still IN his pouch. Then, expose just his head and upper chest with the pouch up against your chest. Wrap your hand around his body so you fingers are around his back and your thumb is just under his chin across his chest, holding his arms down and out of the way. Then use the syringe to gently open his mouth from the side and insert the meds onto the back of his tongue. Immediately put the syringe down and gently rub the tip of his nose to make him lick and swallow.
HTH

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Neutering and SM help [Re: sugarglidersuz] #481347
02/19/08 01:03 AM
02/19/08 01:03 AM

G
Gorillart
Unregistered
Gorillart
Unregistered
G

thanks for the info!
the little guy has been making excellent progress in general life, i have been beaming lately!

today was the vet, i have been watching him carefully and hasn't touched the staples at all! i had the collar ready just incase but he is doing great. the vet said it looks excellent and they are coming out in a week or so. he is keeping weight. only thing was his fecal matter was a bit smellier and not goopy but not hard. the vet said it is probably just a reaction to the baytril and is not uncommon among animals but watch just incase.

as soon as he heard the bets voice, he started shaking, but i was able to calm him down by petting his head and down to his nose. he almost fell asleep. he never lets me do that! after the long drive back (i talked to him the whole way), he let me get him out of his pouch and put him in his favorite cage pouch! i just scooped him and he didnt resist then i gave him a mealie!

he is doing great! we still got a little while before he is healed more but so far so good!

thanks for your help suz!
oh yeah, and thats what i have been doing for the meds, he takes it pretty well. he just hisses a bit

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024