Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s #482145
02/20/08 12:07 AM
02/20/08 12:07 AM
Ontario, Canada
scraptilldawn Offline OP
Glider Guardian
scraptilldawn  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Ontario, Canada
Ok, so I've been pondering this for sometime and would like a consensus so that I know I got it figured straight. Female gliders have a 28 day cycle as do humans. If they mate and then 28 days later no mating occurs, would it be safe to assume then that a pregnancy took place? Would they mate every 28 days when she goes into heat until she is pregnant? Could you map her heat cycle as with humans? My current breeding female has had 2 litters and each time she has waited to mate again until the joeys have left and gone to their new homes. Within a week or so mating then occurs again. How or why would this happen? Anyone who has a good grasp of the cycle and how it all works, I would love it if you could give me the low down as I feel I'm guessing a lot here, lol.

Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: scraptilldawn] #482237
02/20/08 03:01 AM
02/20/08 03:01 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

OK, I'm sure someone with more expertise than me will come along, but just because 28 days later no mating occurs does not necessarily indicate a pregnancy. Some people have females who go into heat regularly but still they do not mate for whatever reason. So although theoretically she'd be in heat approximately every 28 days or so, that does not imply that 1) they are guaranteed to mate or 2) the female is guaranteed to get preggers. They won't necessarily mate every 28 days until she is pregnant.

That being said, it sounds like your gliders have a regular routine going, and if they are following this pattern in the past where your female gets preggers after the babies go out to new homes, it's a fair assumption she'll continue in this pattern.

Some people say they can tell when their females are in heat based on behavior. So I'm sure you could map it to a certain extent.

Why do you ask? Are you hoping to prevent future pregnancies for your female?

Hope this helps a bit, and I bet someone with more experience with breeding than me will come along soon and help out.

Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: ] #482421
02/20/08 02:29 PM
02/20/08 02:29 PM
Ontario, Canada
scraptilldawn Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Ontario, Canada
I'm just really curious about how they tick, lol. I have searched high and low for more detailed information on their reproduction and cycles and whatnot without much luck. I don't think there is a whole lot of research done on the subject I guess. BMX girls site uncensored is about the best info I've come across and as great as it is, it's rather limited.
I find it interesting that I've got a trio and my male has mated with my older female who's a year since she has gone into heat, but not the younger one. So it would seem to me that the male will attempt to mate the female whenever she is in heat and the female has no real control over it. Other then to keep him away of course.

Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: scraptilldawn] #482476
02/20/08 03:40 PM
02/20/08 03:40 PM
Ohio, between Dayton and Cinci...
pebbles1975 Offline
Glider Slave
pebbles1975  Offline
Glider Slave

Ohio, between Dayton and Cinci...
How old is the younger one? It is also possible that she is pulling the babies without you knowing.

Angie

Harmony :rtmo: , Kahne :wfb: ,
Navaeh :leu: , and Nova :rtmo:
Marsh: albino/creme Het , Mellow: Albino

http://www.freewebs.com/clementsgliders/index.htm
Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: pebbles1975] #482488
02/20/08 04:00 PM
02/20/08 04:00 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I can't answer all of your questions, but yes, it is possible to map their cycles. I used to do it with my girls to skip occasional pregnancies so that they didn't overbreed.

I also have noticed that if there is a female in heat in one cage, the male in the other cage will show more interest and may even mate his own female (though she is not in heat).

I have also heard people say that some males will mate a female just because (though she is not in heat, even when no other females are present). dunno

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: sugarlope] #482505
02/20/08 04:25 PM
02/20/08 04:25 PM
Ontario, Canada
scraptilldawn Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Ontario, Canada
My younger one is 8 months old and hasn't bred yet so she isn't pulling babies.

Quote:
it is possible to map their cycles. I used to do it with my girls to skip occasional pregnancies so that they didn't overbreed.

This was something I was curious about learning in case it was needed in the future.

I currently have 2 cages breeding, a pair and a trio. I'd like someday to add a lue/het quad to my very small breeding program, but am trying to learn as much as possible about their breeding habits and everything surrounding it. I'm sure each glider is unique but we as humane's are pretty predictable so I thought some of the same rules might apply.

Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: scraptilldawn] #482526
02/20/08 04:43 PM
02/20/08 04:43 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
The way I started was by catching them in the act. They sound different, and it took me a while - I remember thinking a couple of months in a row "What is wrong with them, what are they fussing about...oh, yeah". I would write it down on the calendar, if I wanted to skip a pregnancy, I would separate them for 3 days/nights. And in another 26 days (just to be on the safe side) start listening for them again. When I did let them mate, I would mark 15-17 day span on the calendar and pay attention for a birth. I carried my first mom all of the time and she would bark/call for me from the pouch and when I stuck my hand in to pet her, she would climb up into my hand and birth - I saw 3 of her 4 joeys born right in my hand. cloud9

My pairs didn't usually mate until the joey(s) were wiened, but my second girl did for her last set (which is why I neutered her mate); she just seemed tired. Once you get to know the sounds, it is a lot easier to keep track, but if they birth, then it does throw the cycle off (just like human women). HTH!

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: sugarlope] #482900
02/20/08 10:17 PM
02/20/08 10:17 PM
Ontario, Canada
scraptilldawn Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much! I know when all my babies are breeding so far, they are on a pretty routine schedule and they are in the living room so we always know what's going on, lol. I was able to watch Peeka birth 1 of the twins with her last litter, and she was perfectly content to let me. I tried again this time but only laid with her for 5 hours (1-6) and didn't catch anything so I may have missed it. It's absolutley incredible to see and I will always try with all my momma's to catch it. I keep everything on their suggie calendar as well so I thought it would be cool to track everyone's cycles and see what things looked like.

I have a friend who's female will have joeys out of pouch a few weeks and already have new ones IP. It makes me wonder why they don't all breed again right away?

Any other breeders out there have input, I'd love to hear what you've seen and learned about your females.

Re: Female Cycle Clarification and ?'s [Re: scraptilldawn] #483240
02/21/08 03:34 AM
02/21/08 03:34 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
My suggestion with seeing births, is if you see that a joey is in distress or mom gets up before the joey is in the pouch, don't assume that everything will be ok. Help her out. I know several people have accidentally interrupted a birth and the mom didn't always have the joeys later. frown
Kira had twins one time and she birthed one, it made it to pouch, she birthed the second and it she started moving (like she was finished). The joey got turned around and started going down her tail, so I pinned her down and picked up the joey (Eeee, scary) and put it at the top of her pouch so it could keep crawling the same direction. I waited until it was all the way in the pouch before letting her go and we did have 2 boys come OOP 67 days later, eyes opening right on target as well. thumb

I also interrupted Lili once (because I didn't know what she was doing shakehead ) and she started to get up, so I rocked her back against my hand and didn't move, waiting for her to finish. That pair of joeys was fine also. I figure if you interrupt them and throw them off, you should stay around to help out. roflmao

I know you were looking for other's to answer, but I just thought I'd throw that in too! grin

~Gretchen

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024